1000 Years of European Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:30:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  1000 Years of European Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1000 Years of European Maps  (Read 652 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:27:47 PM »

This is pretty cool, I couldn't help but share:

http://loiter.co/v/watch-as-1000years-of-european-boarders-change/
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »

I've stumbled upon that one before.  Nice soundtrack, but the changes are arbitrary.  Spain become Spain, for example, in 1485 according to this map, but it was in 1469 that Castile and Aragon united.  Poland goes away in 1765 according to this map, but it wasn't till the partitions (1772-1795) that Poland ceases to exist.  (Sorry kalwejt, it always exists in the hearts and minds of men.  You know what I mean.)  At some point the map morphs from being a political map into being a military campaigns map.  Then it shows Germany united in 1988. 

Interesting effort, though.  If you're interested in that sort of stuff, there are also bigger-picture maps showing the dominant world cultures going back to the dawn of civilization, and maps of territorial expansion of the United States.  There is also a really quirky one showing development of US counties, starting with Jamestown, then Plymouth, etc., and going to the present. 
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

I also found a couple of errors while just looking at Austria ^^
First until 1300 they switch forth and back, sometimes it is there, sometimes not.
Then suddenly in 1333 my area, Tirol, went to Austria, though it didn't until 1363.
Then the Balcan area was part of Austria already in the 1640ies, when the Ottomans didn't come to Vienna the second time until 1683, after which the Austrians conquered the Balcans.
Then happened the Napoleonic Wars before 1790.
The events of World War One happen around 1905, by 1914 Austria has been reduced to the First Republic. The Anschluss happened in 1932, while the war isn't over until the late 50ies.
Else wise it is very interesting, however.

And Angus, could you please post the link for the development of counties, I couldn't find it anywhere, and I would like to see it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:57:27 AM »

Ah, let's see if I can find one.  Here's one but it's not the one I was thinking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5f5DFcn6o

On that one nothing shows up in the Americas till about 1000 years ago.  Probably that reflects our lack of knowledge of American cultures, but African, Asian, and European cultures there.

There are also ones with bizarre future projections.  Many show collapses and fragmentation of nations and try to predict future migration.  Some even show colonization on other planets.

Here's a U.S. Counties map from 1620 onwards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UE9uu9fKSg

Here's another for Europe.  (6000 years, but not very finely-grained.  Impending doom audio, like the original.  I haven't guessed the composer, but it seems familiar.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDyJ_6N-6A

Here's a 100-year future for Europe (with Korean disco music?):  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSBBRzHBwz8

(Don't you just love the Anschluss at 1:16?  Two minutes in, Italy gives up South Tyrol.  A majority of posters here are in favor of that action, as determined by a poll some time ago.  Spain starts to look like 14th Century Iberia, which might be realistic.  The cessions by France and Russia are entirely unrealistic, but it's a fun thing to watch.  Note that there's no mention of Crimea rejoining Russia.  I guess the animation was made before the latest rounds of diplomatic intrigue.)

I'll try some more to find the big world animated map that I was thinking of.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

Boarders?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

(Don't you just love the Anschluss at 1:16?  Two minutes in, Italy gives up South Tyrol.  A majority of posters here are in favor of that action, as determined by a poll some time ago.  Spain starts to look like 14th Century Iberia, which might be realistic.  The cessions by France and Russia are entirely unrealistic, but it's a fun thing to watch.  Note that there's no mention of Crimea rejoining Russia.  I guess the animation was made before the latest rounds of diplomatic intrigue.)

I'll try some more to find the big world animated map that I was thinking of.

Thanks very much.
Oh, and of course the Anschluss is brilliant. Like every Austrian would be in favour of it ^^
The Atlas is really in favour of South Tyrol going to Austria? I live quite near the border, and I can tell you, they surely aren't ^^ They have much more liberties and autonomy with Italy, and are certainly better off that way Smiley
As you said, this illustration isn't really realistic - quite the contrary he wanted to be Tongue
Yeah.. But funny to watch nevertheless.
Thanks a lot.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »

Well, 47%, so not a majority, but certainly a plurality.  And only 13% favoring Italy.  I think I might have been surprised by that result, but I can't remember now.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181088.0
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:04 PM »

Thanks a lot...
Some replies to this topic were really funny to read ^^
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: