Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:41:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?  (Read 15964 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

I grew up in a very Republican area, and whenever I read the local paper's website, all I see in the editorial section is how "Obama AND Hollywood are BOTH living in a dreamland!!!!"

I don't get it, why do they hate Hollywood?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

1. Too much sex and violence in Hollywood (of course not, but that's what some believe)
2. Most Hollywood celebrities are liberal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »

Because they are rich people not agreeing with them. Only Republicans should be allowed to be wealthy.

Or, perhaps, they're jealous.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »

Most actors and directors are, like most professional artists who are not country music stars, fairly liberal and their views tend to trickle into their work.

If Hollywood made more movies where the rich hero defeats the poor villain, conservatives would like the film business a bit more.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »

It's viewed as an institution that represents some vague but palpable threat to traditional values. I really think that's it in a nutshell, although a lot of conservatives of course basically like movies. The problem is with Hollywood as a cultural and by extension political entity.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:36 PM »

If people stopped going to the movies and supporting them, they would be poor too.  Getting people to boycott isn't the easy part.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:49:56 PM »

They're big money that funds Democrats. Pretty simple.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »

It's part of their overarching narrative. "Hollywood" is part of the liberal "coastal elites" trying to force their "secular values" on "Real America".

It's part of their victim complex.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »

because they are vainglorious hypocrites

celebrate guns on screen, complain guns are bad, try to limit the 2nd amendment
celebrate smoking, complain about health problems, raise taxes on cigs (no effect for 1%)
undermine capitalism, push for regulation, spit venom if corporate media 1st amendment is restricted
make lots of pollution, complain about pollution, push for carbon taxes (no effect on 1%)

it goes on and on. the ultimate limousine liberals. do what I say not what I do.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

It's part of their overarching narrative. "Hollywood" is part of the liberal "coastal elites" trying to force their "secular values" on "Real America".

It's part of their victim complex.

I normally hate you, but I agree here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

To be fair, Hollywood hated conservatives first.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

Average people who are conservative hate Hollywood because they think they're trying to undermine traditional values and corrupt young children into a life of drugs and sex. But they still go see all their movies.

The Conservative elite hate Hollywood because they have to compete with them for power and influence and they know Hollywood is winning because they put out a more entertaining product. But they still go see all their movies.
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »

Because Conservatives think liberals in Hollywood are brainwashing our culture.

Hollywood used to be Republican in like the 1950's but I think in the 1970's those paths converged and Hollywood was split between Dems and Republicans. Finally in the 1980's the Dems pulled ahead in party ID in Hollywood and never really looked back.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »

Because Conservatives think liberals in Hollywood are brainwashing our culture.

Hollywood used to be Republican in like the 1950's but I think in the 1970's those paths converged and Hollywood was split between Dems and Republicans. Finally in the 1980's the Dems pulled ahead in party ID in Hollywood and never really looked back.

I don't think Hollywood was ever Republican. I saw a documentary on Ronald Reagan claiming that one of the big reasons he remained a Democrat for so long was because Hollywood supported Dems, and this was in the 40s and 50s. The entertainment industry has also always been pretty unionized, which would have caused many to support Democrats even before the party became more liberal.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »

Uhhhhh... no they don't. 

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bill-maher-republicans-are-the-nations-biggest-starfckers/
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

They're big money that funds Democrats. Pretty simple.

While this sentiment is a popular one, I seriously doubt that the money "Hollywood" contributes to political campaigns and such even remotely compares with the money dumped by K Street or Wall Street. 

As it seems to be the popular thing to do, we need a "- Street" name for Hollywood to represent just how truly evil it is.  How about "Vine Street" or "Melrose Avenue"?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »

Yet it's the GOP who cream themselves when they get one... and it's been the GOP who actually put them up for election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Yet it's the GOP who cream themselves when they get one... and it's been the GOP who actually put them up for election.

It's kind of like when the attractive girl rejects a nerdy homely looking guy (or vice versa). They'll say "well I didn't really want you anyway, neener neener!". But if the attractive one changed their mind, they'd be into them again in a split second.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2014, 06:56:11 PM by Mr. X »

1. It is part of the weird victim complex they've got going on
2. In some Republican circles, "Hollywood liberal" or "New York liberal" is code for "____ is a Christ-killing Jew."  Dog whistle politics at work.  There is still quite a bit of anti-semitism in some Republican circles, especially in the South.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »

Shame that Hollywood is dominated today by vapid bourgeois liberals (not to mention the literal Pentagon propaganda that is most action films) instead of the good old days when half of them were card-carrying Communists.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »

Because Hollywood hates conservatives. You see, being part of a big city means that there will be a strong liberal presence. Hollywood is part of a big city, so yes, it's liberal. Besides, non-practicing Jews made up most of the people (moreso in olden days), which are very liberal.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 12:28:13 AM »

Shame that Hollywood is dominated today by vapid bourgeois liberals (not to mention the literal Pentagon propaganda that is most action films) instead of the good old days when half of them were card-carrying Communists.

I'm getting very close to a ban petition on you...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

Maybe because Hollywood presents a reality of thought and imagination other than what Corporatist/Fundamentalist America wants to push upon us all as reality -- All For the Few now so that there can be Pie in the Sky When You Die.   
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2014, 12:00:51 PM by King »

I've always found this a bit odd. Consider the top-grossing movies of 2013 (US):

They also hated "liberal Hollywood" LEGO movie without seeing it even though it was very anti-government, anti-planning.  Once you get the far right on a narrative, it's next to impossible to prove to them otherwise.

I guess it is a credit to FOX News that they allow for these anti-Hollywood attacks, since FOX's biggest revenue maker is their film studio.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »

I've always found this a bit odd. Consider the top-grossing movies of 2013 (US):

1. The Hunger Games: Jennifer Lawrence leads the rural working class in resisting a government dominated by cosmopolitan elites.

2. Iron Man 3: A young Romney-esque protagonist uses his wealth to save the world from terrorists.

3. Frozen: Climate change denial cloaked as a children's movie. Enough said.

4. Despicable Me 2: Dramatic tension stems from the main character's struggles as a single parent. Clearly, children need both a mother and a father.

5. Man of Steel: An adventure ripped straight from the tales of Edward Nietzsche.

6. Gravity: Either Cuarón was trying to make 90-minute special effects demo, or this is an extended metaphor for the life of Christ.

7. Monsters University: Satire of liberal academe.

8. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug: Sequel to Rick Santorum's favorite movie.

9. Fast & Furious 6: Celebration of masculinity.

10. Oz the Great and Powerful: Don't leave the United States, because you'll run into all kinds of wacky characters and uncomfortable situations.

You might object that I haven't actually seen any of these movies. IRRELEVANT, I say, because HOLLYWOOD'S CONSERVATIVE MESSAGE IS THAT CLEAR.

Some of these are pretty funny, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies