Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why do conservatives hate Hollywood?  (Read 15973 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:28 PM »

That seems like an odd element of the setting of The Hunger Games to focus on when the entire premise of the franchise involves staggering wealth inequality presented as a monstrous evil.

Yes, but it's more the Tea Party railing against lobbyists in mansions in the DC suburbs, not the left railing against the Koch brothers and Wall Street.  Remember that families expose their children to greater risk the more handouts they take and can only save themselves by being self-sufficient.  That's explicitly conservative on economics, granted with a pacifist streak.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:13 PM »

Skill, is it possible that you might be just slightly over analyzing things? Tongue
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2014, 11:56:57 PM by Rep. Deus »

I got the impression that the economies of the districts were run by the Capitol for its own benefit. I mean, I don't think a private corporation was operating the mines in District 12.

But, I think the fact that some people are interpreting The Hunger Games as a right-wing film (I have heard people do this outside this forum) has more to do with who's in power than anything else. If the movie had come out when Bush was in charge, I think that it would overwhelmingly be seen as a left-wing film, if anything.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »

If you watch the Star Wars movies and walk away thinking "wow, Lucas is really pushing for religious freedoms here", one might be a bit....crazy?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

I'm not sure than opposing the system is right-wing. It can be a very left-wing position, too.

I assume you're talking about Hunger Games and Star Wars?  But it goes beyond that.  In the Hunger Games because the rural poor are shown as better off supporting themselves by hunting, small business, etc. and in Star Wars because the protagonists are out to preserve and later revive traditional religion against a government that oppresses it severely.  Although SW is more ambiguous because there are some explicit digs at Bush in Episode III for example.  But still the overall thesis of SW is religious freedom and the overthrow of an increasingly tyrannical government. 
Such as?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »

I'm not sure than opposing the system is right-wing. It can be a very left-wing position, too.

I assume you're talking about Hunger Games and Star Wars?  But it goes beyond that.  In the Hunger Games because the rural poor are shown as better off supporting themselves by hunting, small business, etc. and in Star Wars because the protagonists are out to preserve and later revive traditional religion against a government that oppresses it severely.  Although SW is more ambiguous because there are some explicit digs at Bush in Episode III for example.  But still the overall thesis of SW is religious freedom and the overthrow of an increasingly tyrannical government. 
Such as?

I'm pretty sure Anakin says to Obi-Wan during their fight "you're either with me or you're my enemy."
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

I'm just having some fun here, guys.  Don't take it too seriously.  Only the Dark Knight and Avatar on that list could be considered truly, consistently ideological.  But it's an interesting thought process nonetheless.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:11 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 09:50:09 AM by m4567 »

As others have hinted, Hollywood leans left in its personal life, but the actual product it puts out is remarkably spread across the spectrum.  Let's look at ideology (or lack thereof) in the top 10 grossing movies of all time.  Not adjusting for inflation will give more weight to recent pictures:

1. Avatar: unambiguously left, very environmentalist
2. Titanic: unambiguously left
3. Marvel's Avengers: right, celebrates extreme wealth, defense spending, etc.
4. The Dark Knight: Very right
5. Star Wars Episode I: leans right, celebrates traditional religion and international intervention, condemns bureaucracy
6. Star Wars: leans right, government is a force for evil, also has devoutly religious people in a very unexpected setting
7. The Dark Knight Rises: Very right
8. Shrek 2: seems entirely non-ideological
9. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: mostly non-ideological
10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: unambiguously right, as others have pointed out

So that's 4 movies with right wing themes + 2 movies that seem to lean right against 2 movies with left wing themes.

Most of these movies are ambiguous. I don't even think the Nolan Batman movies are rightwi-ng.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »

As others have hinted, Hollywood leans left in its personal life, but the actual product it puts out is remarkably spread across the spectrum.  Let's look at ideology (or lack thereof) in the top 10 grossing movies of all time.  Not adjusting for inflation will give more weight to recent pictures:

1. Avatar: unambiguously left, very environmentalist
2. Titanic: unambiguously left
3. Marvel's Avengers: right, celebrates extreme wealth, defense spending, etc.
4. The Dark Knight: Very right
5. Star Wars Episode I: leans right, celebrates traditional religion and international intervention, condemns bureaucracy
6. Star Wars: leans right, government is a force for evil, also has devoutly religious people in a very unexpected setting
7. The Dark Knight Rises: Very right
8. Shrek 2: seems entirely non-ideological
9. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: mostly non-ideological
10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: unambiguously right, as others have pointed out

So that's 4 movies with right wing themes + 2 movies that seem to lean right against 2 movies with left wing themes.

Most of these movies are ambiguous. I don't even think the Nolan Batman movies are rightwi-ng.

That's actually a very good narrative about media in this country in general. The professional individual performers probably come mostly from non-conventional backgrounds where they weren't forced into "honest work" or a "real career" and are probably from very liberal families. Its either that or somehow media people are very empathetic in learning how to do their profession and as a result they believe that everyone matters.

On the other hand, those who manage and bankroll these endeavors are probably libertarian-leaning conservative Republican ivy league/BigTen or at least name-brand MBAs whom many probably see "traditional values" as bad for business but think that America's business is business and that any distraction from the bottom line makes it harder for them to work. However, as in almost any other circle, there are always a few religious nut jobs.

To also tell you the truth, I was surprised to see how relatively popular Romney was in 2012 amongst Hollywood's A and B lists. He even won an endorsement from Jenna Jameson and one of Nicki Minaj's alto egos!

In other words, Hollywood is like the rest of the "liberal media". Its as liberal as the John Galts who own it let it be.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »

In Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI (the originals), the (evil) Empire is portrayed as a fascistic regime that murders at will, even destroying a whole planet with its "Death Star". Religion is subordinated to the exercise of power even if economic realities aren't shown.

Episode III shows a dying Weimar-like Republic being corrupted into something monstrous. Note the allusions to Fritz Lang's Metropolis to suggest the sort of time... and of course the jabs at figures much like Karl Rove. Anakin killing off the children who already show signs of having The Force could be an allusion to the horrid Night of the Long Knives... or perhaps to King Herod massacring children whom prophecy says might challenge his power.

George Lucas was cadging bits and pieces of history, religion, and science fiction for his metaphors... but clearly the Empire resembles Nazi Germany. Resistance to the Empire wasn't clearly left-wing any more than was the Battle of Britain against the Third Reich. Conservative traditionalists can also be anti-fascists -- just think of Sir Winston Churchill.

I can't say anything about The Hunger Games.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 10:35:02 AM »

In Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI (the originals), the (evil) Empire is portrayed as a fascistic regime that murders at will, even destroying a whole planet with its "Death Star". Religion is subordinated to the exercise of power even if economic realities aren't shown.

Episode III shows a dying Weimar-like Republic being corrupted into something monstrous. Note the allusions to Fritz Lang's Metropolis to suggest the sort of time... and of course the jabs at figures much like Karl Rove. Anakin killing off the children who already show signs of having The Force could be an allusion to the horrid Night of the Long Knives... or perhaps to King Herod massacring children whom prophecy says might challenge his power.

George Lucas was cadging bits and pieces of history, religion, and science fiction for his metaphors... but clearly the Empire resembles Nazi Germany. Resistance to the Empire wasn't clearly left-wing any more than was the Battle of Britain against the Third Reich. Conservative traditionalists can also be anti-fascists -- just think of Sir Winston Churchill.

I can't say anything about The Hunger Games.

This. The same can be said about the Hunger Games. You don't have to labour, tory, D or R to be an antiauthoritarian. But like I said, actors and reporters are probably academia/"new left" socially liberal more than anything and their employers are  big-business fiscally conservative more than anything.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

.... The professional individual performers probably come mostly from non-conventional backgrounds where they weren't forced into "honest work" or a "real career" and are probably from very liberal families. Its either that or somehow media people are very empathetic in learning how to do their profession and as a result they believe that everyone matters.

On the other hand, those who manage and bankroll these endeavors are probably libertarian-leaning conservative Republican ivy league/BigTen or at least name-brand MBAs whom many probably see "traditional values" as bad for business but think that America's business is business and that any distraction from the bottom line makes it harder for them to work. However, as in almost any other circle, there are always a few religious nut jobs.

To also tell you the truth, I was surprised to see how relatively popular Romney was in 2012 amongst Hollywood's A and B lists. He even won an endorsement from Jenna Jameson and one of Nicki Minaj's alto egos!

In other words, Hollywood is like the rest of the "liberal media". Its as liberal as the John Galts who own it let it be.

You have it. The stage has been a profitable necessity for a long time -- or at the least a civic ritual. But it offers nothing tangible as do agriculture, resource extraction, and manufacturing.

The impresarios of stage, screen, and studio know enough  to avoid making blatant propaganda unless the message is already popular (as in, "Smash the evil Nazis/J*ps" of WWII) to begin with. Entertainment is more profitable than didacticism. So profit comes before the message and is to be had through entertainment.

I am reminded of a scene in Funny Girl in which Fanny Brice (Barbra Streisand) has made a mockery of prudish sensibilities in her "Beautiful Reflection (of every man's affection)" in which she asks Florenz Ziegfeld what he thought of the successful act.

"I hated it", said Ziegfeld, "but the audience loved it! Do it again!" Such guides entertainment.

If there is money to be had by skewering right-wing ideology, then even FoX Studios will do it.  Spoofs of FoX News have appeared on The Simpsons.   

OK, maybe American plutocrats despised the Soviet Union -- but they were glad to make trucks for the USSR in its factories for use against the Nazis -- for profit, of course.     
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

There are left leaning producers in hollywood. The Weinsteins, Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Kathleen Kennedy to name a few.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »

.... The professional individual performers probably come mostly from non-conventional backgrounds where they weren't forced into "honest work" or a "real career" and are probably from very liberal families. Its either that or somehow media people are very empathetic in learning how to do their profession and as a result they believe that everyone matters.

You have it. The stage has been a profitable necessity for a long time -- or at the least a civic ritual. But it offers nothing tangible as do agriculture, resource extraction, and manufacturing.

The impresarios of stage, screen, and studio know enough  to avoid making blatant propaganda unless the message is already popular (as in, "Smash the evil Nazis/J*ps" of WWII) to begin with. Entertainment is more profitable than didacticism. So profit comes before the message and is to be had through entertainment.

I am reminded of a scene in Funny Girl in which Fanny Brice (Barbra Streisand) has made a mockery of prudish sensibilities in her "Beautiful Reflection (of every man's affection)" in which she asks Florenz Ziegfeld what he thought of the successful act.

"I hated it", said Ziegfeld, "but the audience loved it! Do it again!" Such guides entertainment.

If there is money to be had by skewering right-wing ideology, then even FoX Studios will do it.  Spoofs of FoX News have appeared on The Simpsons.   

OK, maybe American plutocrats despised the Soviet Union -- but they were glad to make trucks for the USSR in its factories for use against the Nazis -- for profit, of course.     

The funniest thing is that Family Guy and American Dad! are on Fox.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies