Have True Leftists accomplished anything in recent history besides mass murder?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:06:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Have True Leftists accomplished anything in recent history besides mass murder?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Have True Leftists accomplished anything in recent history besides mass murder?  (Read 5795 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »

Eh not really. I just appreciated and associated with communist imagery and slogans.

Well, that would [cough], uh, um, er, ahem, explain the username 'BRTD,' no? Unless BRTD means something other than what I think it means. . .

Tbf, I'd allso better be red than dead, but that doesn't mean I actually want to be red. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2014, 10:29:55 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

I've actually adopted a new meaning for it. Google "Agent BRTD" to see it. That's the sort of force I see myself as in online games where I'm also using it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 10:23:18 AM »

Seriously think about it. What has True Leftism brought us?

Liberalism/progressivism brought us the 40 hour work week, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and the universal healthcare of other countries.

True Leftism has brought us the gulags, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward and the Khmer Rouge.

Yeah tough choice which ideology I'm going with...

No, it was leftist/labor agitation which pushed those and forced the dithering "progressive" governments to act on them. The domestic policy achievements of Roosevelt and Johnson did not originate from the top down.

BRTD also has little or no knowledge of how instrumental Communists (and Trotskyists) were in organizing American labor during the popular front period.  for something close to home he should read the story of the Minneapolis Teamsters strikes in 1934.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Chavez
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »

Are Stalin and the like even "True Leftists". A True Leftist, as I understand it, is somebody who refuses to support mainstream parties and instead harangues about "neoliberals" and the like. You can't be a True Leftist in power, because True Leftism rejects those in power as not good enough.

And I think most "True Leftists" don't particularly admire the USSR and instead plum for, say, Revolutionary Catalonia or the Paris commune.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »

Are Stalin and the like even "True Leftists".

I'd say Stalin was too cold, calculating, pragmatic and dispassionate to be a "True Leftist", but who knows what BRTD thinks a true "True Leftist" is Wink
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »

Are Stalin and the like even "True Leftists"? A True Leftist, as I understand it, is somebody who refuses to support mainstream parties and instead harangues about "neoliberals" and the like. You can't be a True Leftist in power, because True Leftism rejects those in power as not good enough.

And I think most "True Leftists" don't particularly admire the USSR and instead plum for, say, Revolutionary Catalonia or the Paris commune.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »

Eh not really. I just appreciated and associated with communist imagery and slogans.

Well, that would [cough], uh, um, er, ahem, explain the username 'BRTD,' no? Unless BRTD means something other than what I think it means. . .

be retard?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 03:05:23 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 03:07:05 AM by and then a skeleton popped out »

When did "True Leftist" become a thing?

People don't actually like productively arguing about things on the Atlas Forum anymore. Instead, we come up with pithy (increasingly meaningless) terms to dismiss something we disagree with instead of argue why it's invalid, or we post it in any given Mine/Institute/Gallery so we can get away with mocking someone without fear of retaliation.
brtd is being annoying about this which considering my opinion of leftism is saying something. but the thing is, most people get to a point where they just learn to let things go. arguing is for teens. early twenties if you're a slow learner. you're almost certainly not going to change the other persons mind. 's you're having an argument the other person probably couldn't care less about your pov. they're probably trying to score cheap points or chip away until you give in. at best you can win the crowd over or embarrass your enemy with an argument. but who really has time for that? and tbh quite honest i don't think debates are that much better either even with a 'neutral' moderator or something
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies