Eurovision Song Contest 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eurovision Song Contest 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2014  (Read 8956 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:36 PM »

So unless you think a person hasn't delivered a positive impact on society they're worthy of your condensation and self-perceived moral superiority? I'm not claiming cross-dressing solves starvation and stop famine, but it doesn't cause any harm to anyone either.

People telling others they should feel shame for stuff that does not affect anyone else in any sort of way, on the other hand, has caused great harm to society through-out the ages and several personal tragedies.

So if you want to sit there on your computer and go: "Uggh men in dresses, uww," like a immature twelve-year-old boy, I guess there's nothing to be done about it. But don't come dragging with your supposed intelligence when people on here rightfully refuse to treat as a grown up.   

Firstly, I won't be getting close enough to them for any condensation to occur. I am of the opinion that the way people compose themselves is important, and if this is so marginal then you shouldn't be getting so worked up about it.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »

So unless you think a person hasn't delivered a positive impact on society they're worthy of your condensation and self-perceived moral superiority? I'm not claiming cross-dressing solves starvation and stop famine, but it doesn't cause any harm to anyone either.

People telling others they should feel shame for stuff that does not affect anyone else in any sort of way, on the other hand, has caused great harm to society through-out the ages and several personal tragedies.

So if you want to sit there on your computer and go: "Uggh men in dresses, uww," like a immature twelve-year-old boy, I guess there's nothing to be done about it. But don't come dragging with your supposed intelligence when people on here rightfully refuse to treat as a grown up.   

Firstly, I won't be getting close enough to them for any condensation to occur. I am of the opinion that the way people compose themselves is important, and if this is so marginal then you shouldn't be getting so worked up about it.

I can assure you I'm calm as quiet summer evening.
Though I must have hit a nerve with you since it took you a good ten minutes to write a two sentence response. (Yes I saw when you started responding.)

I'll just leave you with this Hifly.

I don't know how you can go on stage this forum in that attire and make your posts without any shame.

Good night
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »

I can assure you I'm calm as quiet summer evening.
Though I must have hit a nerve with you since it took you a good ten minutes to write a two sentence response. (Yes I saw when you started responding.)

I was writing something lengthy but then decided a few words would be more than enough.

I'll just leave you with this Hifly.

I don't know how you can go on stage this forum in that attire and make your posts without any shame.

Good night

The search for a new Peter Ustinov is now over. You have a career in comedy waiting ahead of you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »

You really don't know how to argue a point, do you?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »

Your disapproval is not important nor relevant.

It's a great song, the performance was amazing and Conchita deserved the win. Your lack of respect for that and her is a deeper reflection of your flaws and issues, not hers.

You really do need to get a grip... or is that not allowed either?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2014, 07:45:26 PM by Hifly »

Your disapproval is not important nor relevant.

I know, so why are you getting so worked up about it?

It's a great song, the performance was amazing and Conchita deserved the win. Your lack of respect for that and her is a deeper reflection of your flaws and issues, not hers.

Surely that's purely interpretative? I personally thought that the song (and singing) was thoroughly uninspiring and I enjoyed the Dutch song more.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »

Displaying disapproval towards cross-dressers is neither "stuck up" nor snobbish.

You can't decide whether what you say is hateful, snobbish, or stuck up. You don't have that authority. You can't just say whatever you want and then say "no, it wasn't hateful" when it obviously was. Wow.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:05 PM »

I'm not worked up at all.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

France's entry was a crime against eyes and ears. 2 points well earned.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 01:43:21 AM »

Damn the man. It should have been a Dutch victory Sad
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 02:12:59 AM »

It should have not. Conchita and Austria deserved it. Smiley
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 02:54:42 AM »

Displaying disapproval towards cross-dressers is neither "stuck up" nor snobbish.

You can't decide whether what you say is hateful, snobbish, or stuck up. You don't have that authority. You can't just say whatever you want and then say "no, it wasn't hateful" when it obviously was. Wow.

But Swedish Cheese does have that authority?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 03:23:52 AM »

Netherlands had a good Johnny Cash/June Carter-like country-song that came out of nowhere, with a solid performance.

I would have not been all too shocked if they won.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 03:30:25 AM »

Here you can watch the voting from the Austrian (winner) perspective and a performance of Emmelie de Forest (Only Teardrops) before that:

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Eurovision-Song-Contest-2014/7875455/Eurovision-Song-Contest-Finale-Das-Voting/7900652

The song contest is sooo "Glee" and "High School Musical"-like ... Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 03:37:51 AM »

Hahaha, this is good (From the episode: "Eastern European ignorant's heads are fuming"):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Kneel down in front of our new sodomite Princess, haters:

Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 03:57:25 AM »

How many points did "bearded lady" win in each country ?

Red = no points

Dark Green = 12
France-green = 10
Ukraine-green = 8
Germany-green = 7
Russia-yellow = 6 or less
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 04:06:17 AM »

Apparently it's his new go to argument when he can't think of anything else.

How many points did "bearded lady" win in each country ?

I was surprised by it not getting more points from Germany actually.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 04:07:53 AM »

But Swedish Cheese does have that authority?

Hateful, snobbish, and stuck-up are all at heart ways of describing the way one's behavior functions socially and the effect it has on other people, so yes, other people in general do have the authority to determine whether or not it comes across that way. Personally, I think you don't come across as snobbish so much as envious of the fact that Conchita Wurst is a vastly more interesting person than you are and unsure of how to express that. I understand and sympathize and I'm sure your top-notch Oxford Brookes education will be of great help carrying you forward as you figure things out for yourself.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »

If my opinion is marginal, you shouldn't be getting so worked up about it. The use of the word "snobbery" and "stuck-up" was inappropriate in that particular context.
However, you've certainly displayed snobbery in your post by ridiculing Oxford Brookes; Yes, it may not be a great place to study but why ridicule it and people who study there (of which I am not one) ?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »

You're very willing to address essentially anything at all other than the subject at hand, aren't you?

If my opinion is marginal, you shouldn't be getting so worked up about it. The use of the word "snobbery" and "stuck-up" was inappropriate in that particular context.

Hifly, I don't think I am who you seem to think I am.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because it's funny to implicitly contrast your own tiresome snobbery with Oxford Brookes's comparatively unimpressive reputation. That's all. If anything, if you're at all representative of what Oxford Not-Brookes students are generally like, I'd rather study at Oxford Brookes.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »

Guys, as shown by his projection, Hifly is clearly getting worked about about this. I'm not sure if it's because of envy directed at Conchita as Nathan suggests or because he feels insecurity because of some latent attraction to cross-dressers but we should probably just leave him be until he's calmed a bit and discuss the contest instead. We're not getting anything constructive out of arguing with him anyway, so I for one is gonna let him brood and leave him be for now.   
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »

It should have not. Conchita and Austria deserved it. Smiley

Don't worry, I'm just sore because I lost money to my brother over the result (yes, we had a family sweepstake Tongue).

Netherlands had a good Johnny Cash/June Carter-like country-song that came out of nowhere, with a solid performance.

I would have not been all too shocked if they won.

Yeah, that was the main reason why the Netherlands was my favourite. I was also amenable to Sweden, Italy, Spain, Malta and Russia, but, in the end I bet on the Dutch Sad.

I do have to say, I thought the behaviour of some in the crowd towards the Russians was pretty... well, disgraceful. I mean, I know Russia isn't exactly the most popular country at the moment, but there's no reason to take it out on two 17 year old girls who put in a decent entry.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:07 AM »

This thread has confirmed Hifly as the absolute wurst.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »

Yeah, that was the main reason why the Netherlands was my favourite. I was also amenable to Sweden, Italy, Spain, Malta and Russia, but, in the end I bet on the Dutch Sad.

I do have to say, I thought the behaviour of some in the crowd towards the Russians was pretty... well, disgraceful. I mean, I know Russia isn't exactly the most popular country at the moment, but there's no reason to take it out on two 17 year old girls who put in a decent entry.

The Netherlands song well deserved the second spot. It's more in line with what I personally usually listen to. 

Yeah the booing of Russia was really excessive. As you say it was clearly not the two girls fault that Putin has some really unsavory political shenanigans going on. That being said I'm glad Ukraine beat them in the end. Not just because of the political message, but also because that Hamster dude was epic.   
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2014, 06:59:41 AM »

Worst Eurovision I've watched.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length