Are they the latest or the outdated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:40:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are they the latest or the outdated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are they the latest or the outdated?  (Read 530 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:09 AM »

I like this site, but what time are the data? Are they the latest or the outdated?
http://www.aneki.com/expectancy.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:47:13 AM »

The Austrian life expectancy data seems to be from 2009 (80 years).

According to Statistik Austria, this is now already 81 years (2012 data).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »

They don't really cite their source, do they? 

The CIA World Factbook is a good place to get these sorts of statistics.  Among the countries that are real countries, Japan usually ranks highest--we'll ignore Monaco since it's a special case--so we'll look at Japan.  The 2014 estimate for Japan is 84.46, which is pretty close to the value that you provide, but not exactly the same.  Switzerland is 82.39 according to CIA, which is also pretty close to your value, but again not exactly the same.  Australia is 82.07, again close.

It seems like the relative numbers are similar to the 2014 CIA estimates, but in each case a bit lower, so I think that they're probably not the latest available estimates. 

One item struck me as very strange about you list:  the absence of Norway.  I was under the impression that Norwegians live, on average, a very long time.  I checked the CIA World Factbook and they list 81.6 years for the average life expectancy in Norway.  If we expand your list, Norway ranks 19th.  I find that suspicious. 

If I were you, I'd find another source for these data.
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »

Yes, I need websites about  data with source . Could you please tell me some?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »

The United Nations and the CIA are the main two sources I use when I need this sort of information.

The CIA world factbook can be found at https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

The UN human development indices can be found at http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/hdi

I have no idea whether your government's firewall will allow you to access them.  I've actually tried to visit certain websites while surfing the web in China and have had some trouble, but I can't recall whether I have tried to access either of these from China.  I don't think that either of them are particularly subversive, so I'd imagine that it should not be a problem, but I'd be interested to know whether you can get through to them.  Cheers.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies