the great vaccination debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:02:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  the great vaccination debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the great vaccination debate  (Read 4456 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/vaccine-celebrities-measles-anti-vaccination-jenny-mccarthy-184750111.html?.tsrc=tmobustoday

http://www.know-vaccines.org/?page_id=456

Where do you stand
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »

How is this a debate?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »

There is no debate.
Joshgreen
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »

There is no debate. Vaccinate the critters.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:50 AM »

Parents who don't vaccinate their children should have their kids taken away from them.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:48:40 AM »

Parents who don't vaccinate their children should have their kids taken away from them.

So you're willing to wreck children emotionally by taking their parents away from them on the small chance they might catch some disease?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:50 AM »

The debate is really over what we should do about the anti-vaccine parents not whether vaccines pose a credible harm to children. Actually I think the best answer at this point is to do a positive PR campaign on the benefits and low risk of vaccines. I half think it should be a crime not to get one's children vaccinated, but having the government arrest people for refusing to have a non-life-threatening medical procedure is not a road I want to go down.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »

There is no real debate among scientists on this. There was one study that indicated that vaccines might be linked to autism, and that study has been debunked multiple times. But what if it did cause autism? Penn and Teller explain why it's still a good idea to vaccinate your kids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:05 AM »

topkek
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 05:47:26 AM »

So you're willing to wreck children emotionally by taking their parents away from them on the small chance they might catch some disease?

Silly shua. Everyone knows that error has no rights.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 07:03:28 AM »

The worst thing about the vaccination "debate" (that, by the way, is certainly not "great") is how it stigmatizes autism in a backwards way.

Even if it did cause or contribute to the development of autism, how is autism so bad that it's worse than your child dying of an easily preventable disease? How is it worse than your child potentially becoming the source that spreads an easily preventable disease to other people who then become terribly ill and possibly die? If your child did develop autism, how would you feel if they knew you'd rather they potentially died of an illness most people are immune to? I doubt that they intended that message, of course, but what is so awful about having a living child who is autistic that you'd choose the risks of the alternative?

Just.. ugh.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 12:08:52 PM »

I don't see any debate here. Medical science does not support the claim that vaccines cause autism.

There is no real debate among scientists on this. There was one study that indicated that vaccines might be linked to autism, and that study has been debunked multiple times. But what if it did cause autism? Penn and Teller explain why it's still a good idea to vaccinate your kids - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

Or, to put it simply, this. ^
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »

There's no informed debate, just another example of what happens when you listen to community blogs, not actual expert knowledge.

It's abuse and endangerment.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »

The worst thing about the vaccination "debate" (that, by the way, is certainly not "great") is how it stigmatizes autism in a backwards way.

Even if it did cause or contribute to the development of autism, how is autism so bad that it's worse than your child dying of an easily preventable disease? How is it worse than your child potentially becoming the source that spreads an easily preventable disease to other people who then become terribly ill and possibly die? If your child did develop autism, how would you feel if they knew you'd rather they potentially died of an illness most people are immune to? I doubt that they intended that message, of course, but what is so awful about having a living child who is autistic that you'd choose the risks of the alternative?

Just.. ugh.

That's the thing; some of what we vaccinate against is really significantly worse than autism. Would these folks rather that their kids develop polio? I would hope not.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »

Just.. ugh.

That's the thing; some of what we vaccinate against is really significantly worse than autism. Would these folks rather that their kids develop polio? I would hope not.

I think most of them are somehow convinced that it's a scam and that these vaccines don't work anyway, and/or that autism is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of health problems from them.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »

I think that vaccinations should be required unless the child is allergic to them. My university had a big push to get everyone to have the flu shot done this past winter, and I can't partake because I have an egg allergy.

But as for this stuff about vaccines causing Autism, I know full well that even before I was vaccinated, I already had the signs of Asperger's, so I'm 100% sure that getting vaccinated had nothing to do with it. As Dr. Phil says in a soundboard, "That's a load of crap."
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »

Inject anti-vaccine people with potent stains of polio as performance art.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »

The question is do non-vaccinators lean D (like GMO paranoids) or R (like global warming deniers)?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 06:00:52 AM »

I suspect Anti-vaxxers tend to cluster around either the far-left (in the US context) or the far-right; there's also probably lots of libertarians too.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »

I suspect Anti-vaxxers tend to cluster around either the far-left (in the US context) or the far-right; there's also probably lots of libertarians too.

This. It seems like a fallacy that appeals to all sides of the spectrum.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 09:49:28 AM »

I don't support keeping children in homes with abusive parents.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »

I think that vaccinations should be required unless the child is allergic to them. My university had a big push to get everyone to have the flu shot done this past winter, and I can't partake because I have an egg allergy.

But as for this stuff about vaccines causing Autism, I know full well that even before I was vaccinated, I already had the signs of Asperger's, so I'm 100% sure that getting vaccinated had nothing to do with it. As Dr. Phil says in a soundboard, "That's a load of crap."
That I'm not a big fan of. Mostly because in the years from my adolescence forward, the only time I got the flu was when I got the vaccination. My immune system is pretty awesome, so I don't like to test it more than it needs to be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies