Why are Asian Americans Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:14:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are Asian Americans Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why are Asian Americans Democrats?  (Read 12393 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2014, 06:39:28 PM by Ogre Mage »

My impression is that many immigrants see the category "immigrants" as an important group with which they identify, which then gets supplanted in their American-born children by a race-based way of thinking about their minority status. This is anecdotal rather than systematic, but: as a white Anglophone Canadian, I can essentially "pass" totally as a white American, and no American-raised minority person would think of me as anything other than white. But more than once, I have had the experience of chatting with a person who came to this country from Asia as an adult who doesn't know me well, and when I mention that I'm from Canada, they react with a sympathetic "oh, you're an immigrant (or non-American etc.) too", and then become quite willing to share their experiences as an immigrant, including being open about mixed feelings about their and their children's loss of national identity that I suspect they wouldn't be so quick to share with Americans.

If this is right, it may explain in part why Asians have left the Republican party recently, as opposed to a generation ago. I don't think the Republican party's rhetoric about race is any worse now than it was in the days of welfare queens and Willie Horton. But their rhetoric about immigrants has become worse.

(Edit: just to be clear, this is not intended as a complete answer to the question; I don't deny that the points various others have made here are important).

This is an interesting point, as it is true that the Asian solidification as a Democratic voting bloc is a relatively recent phenomenon.  As the article notes, Clinton only got 36% of the Asian vote in 1992.  In 1996, he lost it to Dole in a much closer showing (48%-44%).  Starting in 2000, Gore, Kerry and Obama (twice) have won the Asian vote, with Obama's 73% in 2012 being the high-water mark so far.

In contrast, Latinos as a whole have not ever really supported Republican presidential candidates, at least not in the last 30 years.  The Democratic boon/GOP problem there is more that Latino voters as a share/percentage of the total electorate have increased dramatically during that time.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 07:46:26 AM »

Yeah, the Asian vote isn't really a problem for the Republicans outside of Virginia and Colorado. And I suppose in every statewide race that comes down to just a few thousand votes as well as a whole host of congressional races. One of the reasons Brian Bilbray may have been defeated in 2012 was due to the shifting Asian vote.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »

One other point -- there are presently 11 Asians in Congress and all of them are Democrats.  The GOP does not currently have even one token Asian on their side, as they did in some past years.  While simply putting an Asian face on the same policy isn't going to solve the problem, we shouldn't overlook the power of visual representation.  These Congresscritters are a natural bridge to Asian voters.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 06:53:13 AM »

One other point -- there are presently 11 Asians in Congress and all of them are Democrats.  The GOP does not currently have even one token Asian on their side, as they did in some past years.  While simply putting an Asian face on the same policy isn't going to solve the problem, we shouldn't overlook the power of visual representation.  These Congresscritters are a natural bridge to Asian voters.

If we managed to find Tim Scott & Allan West, there ought to be a Korean businessman somewhere that we could run.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:26 AM »

If we managed to find Tim Scott & Allan West, there ought to be a Korean businessman somewhere that we could run.

Remember Jay Kim?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Kim
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »

I believe one of the California board of equalization members is a Republican Korean woman.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

Bobby Jindal?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »

One other point -- there are presently 11 Asians in Congress and all of them are Democrats.  The GOP does not currently have even one token Asian on their side, as they did in some past years.  While simply putting an Asian face on the same policy isn't going to solve the problem, we shouldn't overlook the power of visual representation.  These Congresscritters are a natural bridge to Asian voters.

Bobby Jindal?

And Nikki Haley?

Although some people don't consider them Asian (though I do).
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

One other point -- there are presently 11 Asians in Congress and all of them are Democrats.  The GOP does not currently have even one token Asian on their side, as they did in some past years.  While simply putting an Asian face on the same policy isn't going to solve the problem, we shouldn't overlook the power of visual representation.  These Congresscritters are a natural bridge to Asian voters.

Bobby Jindal?

And Nikki Haley?

Although some people don't consider them Asian (though I do).

Yes, Jindal and Haley are two significant Asian Republicans, although my reference was specifically to Congress, where there are currently none.  Also, Louisiana and South Carolina have very small Asian populations.  Many of the Asians in Congress come from areas with a significant number of Asians.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2014, 06:48:33 PM »

I found a poll conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), which states that Obama carried Asian Americans with 77% in 2012 (slightly different from CNN).
http://aaldef.org/press-releases/press-release/new-findings-reveal-south-asian-voters-among-strongest-supportors-of-democrats.html

According to this, South Asians were the most Democratic.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In addition...
http://aaldef.org/press-releases/press-release/new-findings-asian-american-vote-in-2012-varied-widely-by-ethnic-group-and-geographic-location.html

Interesting that Obama won so overwhelmingly among those from the subcontinent.

Less than 10% of Asians under 30 voted for Romney according to the latter link. Ye gods....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 05:42:35 PM »

I found a poll conducted by the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), which states that Obama carried Asian Americans with 77% in 2012 (slightly different from CNN).
http://aaldef.org/press-releases/press-release/new-findings-reveal-south-asian-voters-among-strongest-supportors-of-democrats.html

In addition...
http://aaldef.org/press-releases/press-release/new-findings-asian-american-vote-in-2012-varied-widely-by-ethnic-group-and-geographic-location.html

Less than 10% of Asians under 30 voted for Romney according to the latter link. Ye gods....

I wouldn't trust that poll. Bangladeshis making up more of the electorate than Koreans? About the same as Indians? I don't think so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »

In addition...

I wouldn't trust that poll. Bangladeshis making up more of the electorate than Koreans? About the same as Indians? I don't think so.

Yeah, I'm sure there's some small subsample serious MoE at play, but even then at best does that mean Republicans won maybe a fifth of the young Asian vote? A fourth? The rosiest interpretation is still bleak.

Are the national Asian vote numbers here markedly different than other 2012 exit polls? I realize those results could easily be inaccurate also, as Asians were a nominal fraction of the vote in many states, while in others they were heavily concentrated in particular cities and neighborhoods, and thus either way hard to accurately exit poll. But it's the best comparison we have.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »

Random thought: What about mixed race people who are part Asian? How do they vote?

I mean, my mom's from India (independent with heavy Democratic leanings) and my dad is white (moderate Republican), and I'm an lean-R indie. In context, I'm part of that 45% of Other Americans who would've pulled the lever for Romney(Fun Fact: Other Americans swung 12% against Obama from 2008 to 2012).

The vast majority of Indians I know are very liberal Dems or Indies (with a few rare R's here and there), but when I talk to other kids who are white + other (Asian, black, Hispanic, etc.), there seems to be more Republicans and moderates than among their non-white community. And whether they're male or female, most have white fathers.

So does having a white parent (most likely their father) make one more moderate/conservative? That's how it seems to me.

Someone posted this video here a while ago, I think it's relevant to this question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2tLyqfJd54
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »

Same reason most racial minorities are Democrats: because they've been brainwashed by Dems that the GOP is racist.  Vietnamese-Americans are an exception to this, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of Chinese-Americans, Korean-Americans, or Cambodian-Americans that are Republican.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2014, 01:28:28 AM »

Same reason most racial minorities are Democrats: because they've been brainwashed by Dems that the GOP is racist.  Vietnamese-Americans are an exception to this, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of Chinese-Americans, Korean-Americans, or Cambodian-Americans that are Republican.

You're not helping.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »

"Minorities are too stupid to realize Republicans aren't racist" - Oldiesfreak
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2014, 03:40:32 PM »

Or maybe they are viewed as insane gun-nuts who are illogical, don't believe in evolution and are generally skeptical of science? Also, I don't think Republicans are viewed as racist, but more as xenophobes. Talking about "real America", "small town values" and generally acting like a hick is going to repel Asian voters.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:52 PM »

Please stop taking my words out of context.  I'm not just talking about minorities; a lot of whites (if not most) think Republicans are racist, too.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »

Please stop taking my words out of context.  I'm not just talking about minorities; a lot of whites (if not most) think Republicans are racist, too.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is a duck.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 09:58:33 PM »

I'd recommend everyone backing off on hyperbole and quote interpretation and sticking with the topic.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2014, 01:29:31 AM »

The only reason, the only reason that Vietnamese-Americans support the Republicans in greater numbers is because they were considered more anti-Communist, same reason the Cuban-Americans support the Republicans. But now, like with most minorities, support for them is eroding among the Vietnamese because they see what party better represents their interests.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »

The only reason, the only reason that Vietnamese-Americans support the Republicans in greater numbers is because they were considered more anti-Communist, same reason the Cuban-Americans support the Republicans. But now, like with most minorities, support for them is eroding among the Vietnamese because they see what party better represents their interests.

The old Vietnamese are still Republican. Obviously their grandchildren are not because the Vietnam War and the Cold War aren't relevant for people who weren't even alive during that era.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »

^ Yup. There's a huge disconnect between the older refugee crowd, who are basically single-issue anti-Communist voters and the younger generation which is much more Democratic.

Although there IS a moderately high proportion of Vietnamese-Americans who are Catholic (about 30%-ish) that can be militantly anti-abortion and gay marriage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies