SENATE BILL: Extraterrestrial Act of 2014 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:04:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Extraterrestrial Act of 2014 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Extraterrestrial Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 3746 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »

I suppose we can first see if these aliens mean any harm before we start considering other options. I mean, there isn't any precedent for something like this. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »

Why would we make claims of extraterrestrial contacts illegal? We've had people claiming things for decades. No need to fine them over it.

Maybe if they mimic attacks and take it to the extreme, sure, but otherwise it's a bit too far. Maybe we should clean up the language, because I don't want to imprison people who make UFO videos and put them on YouTube or tell their friends they were probed by an alien in their dreams.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »

Sure, we can clean it up. I just want to prevent ne'er-do-wells from creating widespread public panic over a hoax.

Yeah, I suppose we could classify some speech as illegal because of public safety, like yelling bomb on a plane or crowded room. My concern with the initial amendment is that it will make UFO movies illegal, and who doesn't like a good UFO claim? Tongue

And I think minimum sentences were outlawed a while ago too. I forget if it was ratified though.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »

No one is concerned with the freedom of expression implications here? "Aliens" have been a claim people have brought up for decades.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

This hoax was a Chinese military operation. This bill wouldn't change anything except to limit free speech here in Atlasia. We can't prosecute Chinese military in Atlasia unless we take them as POAs.

All we do with this bill is punish people for making hoaxes. It's already illegal for people to make false claims to law enforcement anyway, so if someone calls claiming something that doesn't exist, they may already get punished.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

I highly doubt a private citizen can mimic a full scale military operation like the Chinese. Tongue

But carry on. I'm just trying to protect freedom of speech and expression for our citizens. I don't care about the Chinese. Our laws and constitutional protections don't apply to them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »

I haven't decided how to respond to the Chinese actions. I'm still discussing options with my administration, but rest assured, we will let you all know something when we've come to a decision.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »

I highly doubt a private citizen can mimic a full scale military operation like the Chinese. Tongue

But carry on. I'm just trying to protect freedom of speech and expression for our citizens. I don't care about the Chinese. Our laws and constitutional protections don't apply to them.

Well, it doesn't have to be as large scale to induce a panic.

I don't really care for the anti-free-speech posturing. Free speech is not an absolute right. To go back to the old adage, you can't scream "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Yelling fire in a crowded building induces panic much like yelling bomb on a plane. We make that illegal for that reason.

Making UFO videos and claims of extraterrestrial contacts illegal is limiting free speech. Again, this latest Chinese military operation is unprecedented. Limiting free speech in this case wouldn't even effect what happened. It would only jail people who made silly YouTube videos claiming they saw a UFO or prosecute crazy people who claimed they were contacted by aliens. In the case of the latter, it would be difficult to prove.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2014, 01:00:20 AM by President Duke »

^^^^

Sometimes I feel like we're pulling teeth this session. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »

There we go. Now that's acceptable.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

Sir Tyrion, if I may just intrude
A moment with a question to be asked,
How would one go about determining
"Significant physical or financial harm"?

I think it would be pretty obvious. Courts could set a threshold, sure, but I am just aiming to not treat UFO videos like we treat the Chinese after their stunt. There's a proper response for everything.

Limiting free speech when it comes to national security is fine as long as there are limitations to our limits, and this amendment solves my concerns for the most part.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »

x Duke

I sign this to honor all of those lost in the tragic alien invasion of 2014.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies