SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 2868 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »

Wait.

If you're currently locked into a 30-year mortgage, then the deduction going away would increase costs rather considerably for those people who budgeted for the former legislation. We should grandfather in existing mortgages. If the goal is to change investment habits, grandfathering wouldn't effect the end goal.

Yes, which is why I am curious about why so many are behind this. A lot of people rely on the deduction to maintain property/rental and pay their mortgage. I'm concerned if we do away with that, it will hurt people more than it will help.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

Wait.

If you're currently locked into a 30-year mortgage, then the deduction going away would increase costs rather considerably for those people who budgeted for the former legislation. We should grandfather in existing mortgages. If the goal is to change investment habits, grandfathering wouldn't effect the end goal.

Yes, which is why I am curious about why so many are behind this. A lot of people rely on the deduction to maintain property/rental and pay their mortgage. I'm concerned if we do away with that, it will hurt people more than it will help.

Yeah, we need to allow people to plan for this change, and I don't think there's an appropriate way to address existing commitments.

Another thing I worry about is the rental market. Since we're disincentivizing property ownership, the rental market would see more demand, and higher prices in uncontrolled environments.

With this bill, real costs in housing are bound to increase, IMO. It's true that the tax exemption currently functions as a regressive subsidy, though.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 08:55:46 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »

The amendment has been adopted.

What now?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »

Let's try to consider some alternatives.

Here is a proposal for converting the mortgage interest deduction to a non-refundable tax credit:

It would direct the benefit more to those who most need it while reducing the overall cost of the deduction. I don't know though whether it would help with the problem of people taking on or not paying down their debt.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »

I would be open to that, shua.

The more I think about it though, simply removing the deduction entirely would have negative effects on a lot of things. I won't deny that it favors the wealthy more than the poor, but the working class still takes advantage of it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

I agree there has to be a transition of some sort as doing this abrublty could cause a big financial and economic mess.

I think shua's idea for a replacement is doable.

What do you think about it, DC?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

If we decide to cap or even go with shua's idea, we need to make sure the new laws apply to all new mortgages or applies when someone refinances. Otherwise, you are grandfathered in. I don't favor switching all current mortgages over to a new law upon passing this bill.

FTR, I favor a cap on the deduction. I was going to propose that yesterday, but I have been battling some food poisoning and didn't post. I'm glad Nix got to it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »

What about A) placing an overall cap on deductions and B) grandfathering in those who have already taken out loans for the next, say, 20 years?

This would do something to limit how much extra benefit current homeowners receive without devastating their financial plans.

A is fine, but B is a bit much. Even if you're locked into a 30 yr mortgage, the interest load will be much less 10 years down the line.

As for shua's proposal I'm happy to stop subsidizing the rich's homes, but this proposal seems like it would recreate some of the sadder stories of the hosung bust as its even more encouragement to over-borrow.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »

I'm not going to sign any bill that changes the law mid-mortgage. A lot of people take out these loans and budget their lives around the deductions, and it would be unfair if we unilaterally changed the law and forced people who had already signed contracts to abide by it.

A cap would be the most feasible because that wouldn't require grandfathering; we could just limit the total amount of deductions a person could make under the provision.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »

I'm not going to sign any bill that changes the law mid-mortgage. A lot of people take out these loans and budget their lives around the deductions, and it would be unfair if we unilaterally changed the law and forced people who had already signed contracts to abide by it.

A cap would be the most feasible because that wouldn't require grandfathering; we could just limit the total amount of deductions a person could make under the provision.

How is a cap any different in that regard? It would still change the effective taxation on existing loans.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »

How is a cap any different in that regard? It would still change the effective taxation on existing loans.

Truthfully, I'd prefer to grandfather all existing loans regardless of which route we take; I won't even be sad if we keep the system as it is.

I guess my line of reasoning there is that a cap would likely affect the wealthy more so than the working class since they deduct more from their mortgage interest payments than the working class.

I am just trying to avoid a situation where we throw a lot of budgets out of control because we remove the deduction entirely. Some people who cannot afford to lose these deduction will be in a lot of trouble if we do something like that. While many here may not believe this deduction helps working class people, it does. It may help the wealthy more, but it still helps the working class.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »

If we do a cap, does it make more sense to do an annual cap or a total cap?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »

I was assuming we would cap it at a specific amount of deductions per year. But I'm open to alternatives.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:36 AM »

I think annual is better. Taxes are an annual construct, after all.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2014, 09:58:15 AM by President Duke »

We could easily finish this bill with an amendment setting a cap. Problem is, I don't know much about what would be a fair limit to cap it at - maybe 25 cents on the dollar? My goal is to make this so the wealthy don't overwhelmingly benefit anymore, but we also don't hurt those who rely on the deduction in their annual budgets. Right now, we allow homeowners to deduct up to $1 million a year from their taxes using the mortgage deduction.

If we want to explore shua's proposal, that's fine too, but I'm not very familiar with it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »

So we gonna have an amendment to that effect?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

Hello out there?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »

If an amendment isn't forthcoming, I'd like to bring this to a final vote.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:21 PM »

I'll be putting forward an amendment shortly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

amendment

From my research, this change would cut the MID nearly/roughly in half in terms of tax expenditures  - by about $40-50 b - and so I propose putting most of the savings toward lowering a tax paid by everyone.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »

I suggest the savings be reinvested into worker-owned enterprises, or cooperatives.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 06:02:25 AM »

Hostile.

Will probably vote for the final bill if this is it, but I want to keep my version Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »

I suggest the savings be reinvested into worker-owned enterprises, or cooperatives.

I was obviously joking. Can we implement the tax credit? Obviously we can not vindictively remove a deduction without giving The People relief somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies