SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:25:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Residential Taxation Reform Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 2923 times)
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »

Wait.

If you're currently locked into a 30-year mortgage, then the deduction going away would increase costs rather considerably for those people who budgeted for the former legislation. We should grandfather in existing mortgages. If the goal is to change investment habits, grandfathering wouldn't effect the end goal.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

Wait.

If you're currently locked into a 30-year mortgage, then the deduction going away would increase costs rather considerably for those people who budgeted for the former legislation. We should grandfather in existing mortgages. If the goal is to change investment habits, grandfathering wouldn't effect the end goal.

Yes, which is why I am curious about why so many are behind this. A lot of people rely on the deduction to maintain property/rental and pay their mortgage. I'm concerned if we do away with that, it will hurt people more than it will help.

Yeah, we need to allow people to plan for this change, and I don't think there's an appropriate way to address existing commitments.

Another thing I worry about is the rental market. Since we're disincentivizing property ownership, the rental market would see more demand, and higher prices in uncontrolled environments.

With this bill, real costs in housing are bound to increase, IMO. It's true that the tax exemption currently functions as a regressive subsidy, though.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:45 AM »

I'm not going to sign any bill that changes the law mid-mortgage. A lot of people take out these loans and budget their lives around the deductions, and it would be unfair if we unilaterally changed the law and forced people who had already signed contracts to abide by it.

A cap would be the most feasible because that wouldn't require grandfathering; we could just limit the total amount of deductions a person could make under the provision.

How is a cap any different in that regard? It would still change the effective taxation on existing loans.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:36 AM »

If we do a cap, does it make more sense to do an annual cap or a total cap?

I think annual is better. Taxes are an annual construct, after all.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »

Aye
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:49:42 PM »

Nay
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 03:59:09 AM »

Aye