Gay Celebs. & the coming out question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Gay Celebs. & the coming out question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See Question below.
Yes  (Straight)

Yes  (LGBTQA)

No   (Straight)

NO   (LGBTQA)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Gay Celebs. & the coming out question  (Read 1005 times)
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:17:36 PM »

So for the past few weeks two co-workers (Both Straight but supportive of gay rights)and I have had an on going debate about the topic of Gay celebrities. Specifically, if they have an obligation to publicly declare that they are not heterosexual.

My take: LGBT people are denied basic human rights in a large majority of the world today, And even here in the United States it's still legal in many states to fire or evict someone because of their sexual orientation. A lack of visibility can be pointed to as one of the reasons these problems persist in 2014. That taken with the fact that LGBT youth are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide begs out for those who can use their voices to make a difference to do so. But I will say I don't think people should be forced to come out. Just very strongly encouraged.

To quote Frank DeCaro: "When teenagers are no longer killing themselves because they think they're 'the only one' then you can be quiet about it. But until then you need to be F***** loud.

Their take: It's none of your business, It's a private matter. If they don't want to share that with people that's their right and you need to respect that. It's great that people like Ellen and Neil Patrick Harris have come out. But if other famous gay people want to stay in the closet that's up to them.

And so I'm handing off this exchange of Ideas to this wonderful political forum, with our barley Hetero majority. :-)

Question: Do LGBT celebrities have an obligation, to anyone, to come out publicly.

I will close with a quote from Harvey Milk that I'm sure many of you know:

"If a bullet should enter my brain, let it shatter every closet door."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »

Is LGBTQA a man's name or is it a country?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

No (straight). I guess if you're some fascist Republican Senator who wants to deport gays and is secretly hanging around airport bathrooms there'd be an exception but no-one has a "moral obligation" to tell people about their sexual preferences.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »

No. It's nobody’s business to know about anyone’s sexual orientation unless you want to be open about it. If you’re willing to come out, then come out, but private people or introverts should not be obligated to do so. I feel for closeted gay teenagers, but I’d imagine that if I were gay, the sexual orientation of somebody I am a fan of wouldn’t be much assistance to me. So I don't see how this is an issue.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »

No (Straight). In the arts they would not have to worry about it, but in sports they certainly might. Now more basic than that, I don't think anyone has any obligation to reveal really anything about their personal lives. It depends upon how comfortable a person is. If they want to, though, they should not hold back.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »

Yes, of course. As Harvey Milk once said, if every gay person came out, we would not have a problem.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 05:07:52 AM »

I think it does the person good - but no one should be OBLIGATED because of their profession to come out if they don't want to.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »

I think it does the person good - but no one should be OBLIGATED because of their profession to come out if they don't want to.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

To add to that, if there is a gay teenager who thinks they are "the only one", then I doubt hearing yet another celebrity come out will convince them otherwise.  For one such as that, I suspect it will take someone they know personally to come out to convince them otherwise, not some celebrity they have no personal knowledge of.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

They should, but they shouldn't have to.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »

Okay, 24 hours in and I'm getting buried in a landslide. Fair enough.

Let's go back in time. To February 24, 2004. The President of the United States addresses the Nation and says he supports amending the Constitution of the United States to single out gay people for discrimination 

If you're gay, and on that day you had a voice that could have brought attention to how awful that is, and you kept quiet. That to me is borderline unforgivable.

In a perfect world no one would have to come out. But we're not there yet. We will be someday. But until then, if you're a person of note, you really should come out.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »

The problem with the question is that there is a presumption that celebrities are role models for society. I'm certain the vast majority of celebs never imagined that there would be any expectation that they would be societal role models merely because they are exceptional at their profession. The issue reminds me of the controversy Charles Barkley waded into with his quotes like "I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 11:57:49 AM »

No. They need to shut up and sit down and live their lives 
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »

It should of course be no obligation, but until we are not further with that issue, I would encourage them to do so. You can't know how much tales of other, famous people can help you with accepting your own sexuality. (I'm gay, so I speak of personal experience)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »

The only people who should be forced to come out (i.e. outed) are politicians who are in the closet, but vote against LGBT rights.  You have a right to privacy, not hypocrisy.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »

Okay, 24 hours in and I'm getting buried in a landslide. Fair enough.

Let's go back in time. To February 24, 2004. The President of the United States addresses the Nation and says he supports amending the Constitution of the United States to single out gay people for discrimination 

If you're gay, and on that day you had a voice that could have brought attention to how awful that is, and you kept quiet. That to me is borderline unforgivable.

In a perfect world no one would have to come out. But we're not there yet. We will be someday. But until then, if you're a person of note, you really should come out.

I think people should for their own well-being, but I genuinely don't feel anyone should be put in a position of being compelled to come out for any other reason that their own feelings and needs.

2004 was a very different space to now, a lot of people with a profile remember the Ellen example where her career turned to crap and it took until 2004/5 for it get back on track. I don't think people who rely on their image to make a living are bad people for not coming out. I mean protestations of straightness are one thing, actively coming out is another. There are LOTS of people in public life who are gay, everyone knows, but because they're not pretending to be straight, or living in a hypocritical way... they're respected and left alone, and I believe they should be.

Outing, as X says, should be reserved for hypocrites.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »

The only people who should be forced to come out (i.e. outed) are politicians who are in the closet, but vote against LGBT rights.  You have a right to privacy, not hypocrisy.
Globally what X has said. Seriously, coming out can be dangerous in some countries (Russia,...). Everyone has the right to have a private life.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »

No (Bi). Celebrities have to deal with the same stuff everyone else does when coming out ("Will my friends and family accept me, ect.), they shouldn't be forced to come out until they are comfortable.

Like others have said, the only exception are people like Larry Craig or George Rekers, who actively make gay people's lives worse while being closeted. Looking at you, Marcus Bachmann.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies