What if in the 2016 primaries..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:56:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What if in the 2016 primaries..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if in the 2016 primaries..........  (Read 6555 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:43 PM »

..........nobody casts a ballot in the Democratic or Republican primary elections?

Obviously would never happen

BUT IF IT DID

Would either party legally have a Presidential candidate?

Following such a scenario, how would the parties then choose their Presidential candidates?

Please discuss.

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »

Well since not every single convention delegate is chosen through the primaries there would just be really small conventions that chooses the candidates.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »

Well since not every single convention delegate is chosen through the primaries there would just be really small conventions that chooses the candidates.

But  I am wondering if the parties have some requirement that the candidate is chosen predominantly through the primary process, in order to have as much public participation as possible.  If that is the case, they would not have met the requirements in choosing a legitimate candidate.

That is really my point in presenting this impossible scenario.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »

If no one was willing to vote in a party's primaries, presumably no one would be voting for the party in the general election, so it wouldn't matter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:43 AM »

But  I am wondering if the parties have some requirement that the candidate is chosen predominantly through the primary process, in order to have as much public participation as possible.  If that is the case, they would not have met the requirements in choosing a legitimate candidate.

No, neither party has such a requirement.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:47:46 AM »

Yeah, you're "just curious" about what would happen in this fantastical scenario, where all the ballots go missing, and mysteriously "no one voted".  I'm sure it's not because you're planning something nefarious.  Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »

Yeah, you're "just curious" about what would happen in this fantastical scenario, where all the ballots go missing, and mysteriously "no one voted".  I'm sure it's not because you're planning something nefarious.  Tongue

No, I am talking about nobody voting, not ballots gone missing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »

Wouldn't it just be that the tiebreaker rules are invoked? These are state specific.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies