Opinion of Ronald Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:57:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ronald Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Opinion of Ronald Reagan  (Read 15264 times)
Reginald
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 12:26:29 AM »

These results are terrible. There's no way he's worse than some of the others right now.

A lot of people in this thread (excluding myself, regrettably) have been pretty explicit in their reasons for disliking Reagan, yet you keep repeating this as if nobody has. So tell us why, according to your evaluation, he's so unfairly judged.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »

Anyone who wins 49 out of 50 states in a Presidential election, and 59% of the popular vote, obviously a massive Freedom Fighter.
putin won every province of russia and 64% of the popular vote in 2012, so by your logic he's an even bigger freedom fighter.

Only a completely uninformed individual would compare a Russian election with a U.S. election.

good point, the us has never had public webcams monitoring the election in every polling station.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 02:36:41 AM »

HP, but I think people exaggerate when they say he was one of the worst.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:11 AM »

The only thing this poll and commentary show is the extreme leftist bias on this forum.
I agree, what sort of extreme leftist would consider someone guilty of high treason, who took Saddam Hussein off of the international terrorists list, and helped create the Taliban, anything other than a fantastic president
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

These results are terrible. There's no way he's worse than some of the others right now.

A lot of people in this thread (excluding myself, regrettably) have been pretty explicit in their reasons for disliking Reagan, yet you keep repeating this as if nobody has. So tell us why, according to your evaluation, he's so unfairly judged.
Charisma is far more important than most people in this thread think. Part of being a good president, especially in modern times, is the ability to present yourself. See how Kennedy won in 1960 because of his charisma on television? (and thievery, but that's beside the point)

Why I think he's unfairly judged compared to Carter is that Carter was a failure. Like John Tyler, Carter had a perfect storm working for him, as a Dark Horse candidate who somehow managed to win. Carter did not get along with the rest of the government at all, because he was a major micro-manager who never concentrated on one thing. He talked down to his own party and was/is generally unlikeable, so he lost in 1980.

If Ronald Reagan was president from 1977-1980, he would have done much better. But this isn't about that time period. What makes Reagan different from Carter is that Reagan was less of an ass and more willing to work with, for better or worse. He had the charisma that could rival the 2008 Obama, and he never talked down to the nation like Carter did. He was also very funny and willing to self-deprecate in his humor, unlike the more serious Carter.

Go ahead and listen to that Challenger speech. Reagan made the country feel comforted despite the horrific events. Carter would have made us even more depressed. Reagan's voice and smile comforted us all.

His role in ending the Cold War is just as important. His work with other world leaders made the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunion of Germany possible, even if he wasn't president at that point.

Regardless of how and what else he did, these qualities alone place him above many of the presidents he is below right now. Reagan made the United States feel as great and powerful as it really was. The Great Communicator is easily one of the top 20 presidents of all time, and far better than failures like Herbert Hoover and James Buchanan.

It's true he may not have always done the best things (ignoring AIDS; questionable involvement in Ollie North's selling weapons to enemy countries), but he's no failure.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »

Charisma is far more important than most people in this thread think. Part of being a good president, especially in modern times, is the ability to present yourself. See how Kennedy won in 1960 because of his charisma on television? (and thievery, but that's beside the point)
OMG Kennedy totes stole the election! Whaddya mean Nixon was messing around in Illinois too? Nah,  It's was all Kennedy! (Sorry, I just can't stand it when people say that)

And being successful =/ Good President.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »

OMG Kennedy totes stole the election! Whaddya mean Nixon was messing around in Illinois too? Nah,  It's was all Kennedy! (Sorry, I just can't stand it when people say that)

Like I said, the election of 1960 is beside the point, and Texas was stolen too.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »

Like I said, the election of 1960 is beside the point, and Texas was stolen too.
You can't just steal 40,000 votes in Dallas.

But I do understand that it's beside the point.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 03:31:31 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2014, 03:34:11 PM by oakvale »

OMG Kennedy totes stole the election! Whaddya mean Nixon was messing around in Illinois too? Nah,  It's was all Kennedy! (Sorry, I just can't stand it when people say that)

You realise that you are arguing with a moron.

e: The KENNEDY STOLE TEH ELECTION nonsense has been debunked so often it's really not worth attempting to argue with someone who believes it. It's like arguing with a climate change denialist or someone who thinks the moon landing was faked.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

Well at least the full post debunked the myth that I don't contribute.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:44 PM »

Well at least the full post debunked the myth that I don't contribute.

No. The idea that writing a lot of garbage as opposed to merely a few sentences of garbage is "contributing" is a cancer on this forum.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

Someone asked why I think Reagan is unfairly judged, and I answered him with a long post. How is that not contributing, cyberbully?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 03:47:44 PM »

QUANTITY IS NOT == QUALITY. HOW IS THIS DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND.

Dear God. You're a grown man. Stop being such a fiend.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2014, 04:16:29 PM by Welcome to Costco. I Love You. »

Contribution has nothing to do with quality. Rochambeau contributed a lot, just not very good contributes of the white noise variety.

Also, why can't you see that you and Gully qualify as bullies? You're grown men too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »

Why is this cretin still here?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »

Didn't Ray Gun have to have special cartoons made so that he could understand Pentagon policy?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 03:58:44 PM »

Contribution has nothing to do with quality. Rochambeau contributed a lot, just not very good contributes of the white noise variety.

I...

I...

...just the worst. Just the worst.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, please explain how.

Actually don't bother, I'd continue this conversation but I'd literally rather take my own life.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »

The thing is, he's proud of being a complete moron. That's unusual. But appropriate for a thread discussing Reagan.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »

I'm not a moron and neither was Ronald Reagan.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »

Jesus.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »

Reagen happened to be a senile old man around the years of 1983-1989.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »

After then as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

But considering the American political process, there is a certain dark logic to having a senile President.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »

Reagen happened to be a senile old man around the years of 1983-1989.

No, he was mostly senile near the end. He talked to someone shorty after his term ended and he remembered everything.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »

Also, why can't you see that you and Gully qualify as bullies? You're grown men too.
I think you're a victim in search of a bully here.  If you don't like them, ignore them.  Then you can carry on with your forum life.

But anyway RR was not a very good president when it came to the economy because I believe in fighting the good fight... not the bad one.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies