Opinion of Ronald Reagan (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:56:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Ronald Reagan (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Ronald Reagan?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Opinion of Ronald Reagan  (Read 15279 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »

Nixon started the War on Drugs, man.

Anyway, FF.

Like I said in the Carter thread, people should vote more based on their presidencies. It's baffling that Jimmy Carter has a higher approval rating than Theodore Roosevelt and James Monroe for the only reasons being the racism of the latter two.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »

Oh, the POS old racist who sold this country out to his corporate masters?  Garbage person and garbage President. 
He wasn't racist. He was one of the first presidents not to be racist.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

Oh, the POS old racist who sold this country out to his corporate masters?  Garbage person and garbage President. 
He wasn't racist. He was one of the first presidents not to be racist.
He was opposed to Martin Luther King Day, blocked a bill that would sanction Apartheid-South Africa, and the "Young Buck" thing.
The King Family also opposed it. And by racism I mean in a purely American definition. Reagan didn't hate blacks, even though blacks hated him.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »

You give many of the first 18 presidents HP status because they owned slaves, but judge Reagan based on his actual presidency. Something's wrong.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:46 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2014, 11:46:49 PM by I Have No Brain And I Must Think »

You think he's worse than Bush? Reagan was super charismatic and lead in a time of peace and prosperity recovered from the miserable failure that is Carter while Bush started two of the longest wars in American history and increased paranoia.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »

Let me add on and say that I think him to be our worst President by quite a fair share. 
Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Harding, Hoover, Carter (who for some reason has an absurdly high rating despite being a failure) and of course, Bush.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »

These results are terrible. There's no way he's worse than some of the others right now.

But maybe I should be thankful he isn't in single digits given how leftist this place is.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

These results are terrible. There's no way he's worse than some of the others right now.

A lot of people in this thread (excluding myself, regrettably) have been pretty explicit in their reasons for disliking Reagan, yet you keep repeating this as if nobody has. So tell us why, according to your evaluation, he's so unfairly judged.
Charisma is far more important than most people in this thread think. Part of being a good president, especially in modern times, is the ability to present yourself. See how Kennedy won in 1960 because of his charisma on television? (and thievery, but that's beside the point)

Why I think he's unfairly judged compared to Carter is that Carter was a failure. Like John Tyler, Carter had a perfect storm working for him, as a Dark Horse candidate who somehow managed to win. Carter did not get along with the rest of the government at all, because he was a major micro-manager who never concentrated on one thing. He talked down to his own party and was/is generally unlikeable, so he lost in 1980.

If Ronald Reagan was president from 1977-1980, he would have done much better. But this isn't about that time period. What makes Reagan different from Carter is that Reagan was less of an ass and more willing to work with, for better or worse. He had the charisma that could rival the 2008 Obama, and he never talked down to the nation like Carter did. He was also very funny and willing to self-deprecate in his humor, unlike the more serious Carter.

Go ahead and listen to that Challenger speech. Reagan made the country feel comforted despite the horrific events. Carter would have made us even more depressed. Reagan's voice and smile comforted us all.

His role in ending the Cold War is just as important. His work with other world leaders made the fall of the Berlin Wall and reunion of Germany possible, even if he wasn't president at that point.

Regardless of how and what else he did, these qualities alone place him above many of the presidents he is below right now. Reagan made the United States feel as great and powerful as it really was. The Great Communicator is easily one of the top 20 presidents of all time, and far better than failures like Herbert Hoover and James Buchanan.

It's true he may not have always done the best things (ignoring AIDS; questionable involvement in Ollie North's selling weapons to enemy countries), but he's no failure.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:35 PM »

A lot of people in this thread (excluding myself, regrettably) have been pretty explicit in their reasons for disliking Reagan, yet you keep repeating this as if nobody has. So tell us why, according to your evaluation, he's so unfairly judged.
Charisma is far more important than most people in this thread think. Part of being a good president, especially in modern times, is the ability to present yourself. See how Kennedy won in 1960 because of his charisma on television? (and thievery, but that's beside the point)
OMG Kennedy totes stole the election! Whaddya mean Nixon was messing around in Illinois too? Nah,  It's was all Kennedy! (Sorry, I just can't stand it when people say that)

And being successful =/ Good President.

Like I said, the election of 1960 is beside the point, and Texas was stolen too.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

Well at least the full post debunked the myth that I don't contribute.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:27 PM »

Someone asked why I think Reagan is unfairly judged, and I answered him with a long post. How is that not contributing, cyberbully?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2014, 04:16:29 PM by Welcome to Costco. I Love You. »

Contribution has nothing to do with quality. Rochambeau contributed a lot, just not very good contributes of the white noise variety.

Also, why can't you see that you and Gully qualify as bullies? You're grown men too.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:01:50 PM »

I'm not a moron and neither was Ronald Reagan.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 04:07:33 PM »

Reagen happened to be a senile old man around the years of 1983-1989.

No, he was mostly senile near the end. He talked to someone shorty after his term ended and he remembered everything.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »

This place thinks Ronald Reagan is a worse president than Woodrow Wilson...

That's just depressing.

Several of Wilson FF votes were 'protest votes' based on libertarian hate of him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies