The amazing thing about the Schiavo case
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The amazing thing about the Schiavo case
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The amazing thing about the Schiavo case  (Read 2222 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »

The media has taken the "pro-life" side of the argument. Here are some of their lies.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200503230001
http://mediamatters.org/items/200503240007
http://mediamatters.org/items/200503220002

Congress also voted "pro-life", 203-58.

The Schindler family mistakenly thought the bill that passed would get the tube re-inserted. Whoops, they weren't informed that the bill is just politics.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7013421/#050323a

Oh, yeah, and all of the media and Congress on one side hasn't convinced the public.

"Do you think Congress and the President should be involved in deciding what happens to Terri Schiavo, or is this a matter Congress and the President should stay out of?"

Should be Involved - 13%
Should Stay Out - 82%
Unsure - 5%

Whoops.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 06:48:30 PM »

Though I do not equate PVS with brain death and thus lean on balance towards re-inserting the tube, I'm not surprised by this media bias. In February 2003, most Americans were opposed to going to war with Iraq without UN support, but not a single major newspaper came out against the war.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 08:46:11 PM »

There is media bias everywhere you look.  Using "pro-life" is just like using "right-to-die"; also, this Persistent Vegetative State thing that's being spewed everywhere by the media, as if a biased doctor's word was law, is also biased.  There's no point in this thread -- bias is everywhere, no matter which slant.  I don't agree with it, but I'm used to it.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 08:55:06 PM »

The media lies everytime the play that fool lawyer saying that Terri is dying in peace.  She sure as hell ain't experiencing peace right now.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 08:58:42 PM »

The media lies everytime the play that fool lawyer saying that Terri is dying in peace.  She sure as hell ain't experiencing peace right now.

Actually, I think they gave her morphine.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 09:06:48 PM »

Why don't they overdose her then?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 09:12:39 PM »

I'll tell you from experience morphine is wonderful.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 09:15:20 PM »

They don't have to. It's not painful this way, and she'll die naturally.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »

They can overdose her and end it without her body collapsing. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »

Point?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 09:25:35 PM »

Quicker, makes more sense for Schiavo to do to keep the courts from intervening.
Snowe08
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »

The truly amazing thing is how quickly its creating a new faultline within the GOP. The vast majority of Republicans believe in small government, federalism and the sanctity of life. Unfortunately, Republicans who do not live in Florida are now discovering that they cannot choose all three in this case: we can choose small government and states rights, or we can choose the sanctity of life. But not both.

You'd be amazed just how quickly a large number of people in this party have suddenly become outspoken advocates of a huge, unconstitutional expansion of the Federal Government's rights and perogatives. The idea that power should be concentrated in Washington and as far from the people who it affects is precisely what the other party has spent the last seventy-odd years fighting tooth and nail for, the Gingrich Congress finally began to roll it back, and now some in the GOP want to declare surrender just because they don't agree with something that the Florida courts did? And people call me a RINO!

The problem, I think, may be that Republicans in Washington have gotten drunk on the same federal spending and federal authority that the Democrats imbibed during their long hold of Congress, and now those leaders find that big spending, big government and federal power are actually kind of neat when pressed into service of their own ideals. This is why Lord Acton did not write "power tends to purify".

Those Republicans who support these moves - thankfully a minority - simply can't seem to  get past the idea that we aren't always going to control all three branches of the Federal government. They simply don't remember that until ten years ago, we spent four decades without controlling the House of Representatives. These are generally people who are ex-liberals who press the same modus operandi into the service of new goals, and they're in danger of turning a simmering dispute in the party into an outright faultline.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 03:12:23 AM »

Wrong.  Even those who support removing the tube admit she can feel pain stimuli, and this is whty she is on morphine.  However, because she cannot cogently communicate, she can't let anyone know if the dosage is adequate.  Its crazy to pretend you know whether she is or is not in pain.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2005, 03:14:03 AM »

The truly amazing thing is how quickly its creating a new faultline within the GOP. The vast majority of Republicans believe in small government, federalism and the sanctity of life. Unfortunately, Republicans who do not live in Florida are now discovering that they cannot choose all three in this case: we can choose small government and states rights, or we can choose the sanctity of life. But not both.

They don't believe in Federalism, they believ in Confederalism.

I believe in Federalism as understood by Hamilton and Marshall, with Federal supremacy over the states.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2005, 03:54:06 AM »

Wow, appearantly most of the judges who ruled against the tube being re-inserted are Republicans, and one of the dissenters is a Clinton appointee.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2005, 04:35:29 AM »

Wow, appearantly most of the judges who ruled against the tube being re-inserted are Republicans, and one of the dissenters is a Clinton appointee.

This shouldn't be too surprising, givent hat, as I've said, most Republican nominees are Confederalists and believe in state supremacy over the Federal government.  Republicans were okay with this for a long time, but they're starting to realize that its actually counter to their interests.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 04:36:33 AM »

This shouldn't be too surprising, givent hat, as I've said, most Republican nominees are Confederalists and believe in state supremacy over the Federal government.  Republicans were okay with this for a long time, but they're starting to realize that its actually counter to their interests.

The Florida state judges didn't rule that way, either.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2005, 04:53:24 AM »

Quote from typical "pro-life" hypocrite.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://64.233.161.104/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=cache%3Awww.halturnershow.com
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »

Not all pro-lifers are like that, okay?  Get off your soap box.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 07:14:38 PM »

Not all pro-lifers are like that, okay?  Get off your soap box.

Yep, probably the biggest enemy pro-lifers have is their more extreme elements.

Oh, and on shocking things, I heard a rumor that Bush signed a bill when he was governer of Texas to make it easier for hospitals to disconect life support - based not on the wishes of next of kin, but on inability to pay.  Has anyone been able to confirm, disprove, or clarify this?   It would seem pretty hypocritical (though, sadly, not suprising).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 07:27:32 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2005, 07:31:33 PM by jfern »

Yep, probably the biggest enemy pro-lifers have is their more extreme elements.

Oh, and on shocking things, I heard a rumor that Bush signed a bill when he was governer of Texas to make it easier for hospitals to disconect life support - based not on the wishes of next of kin, but on inability to pay.  Has anyone been able to confirm, disprove, or clarify this?   It would seem pretty hypocritical (though, sadly, not suprising).

Of course they're hypocrites.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Pro-life" my ass.

Note that if we had a "liberal media", more people would know about this than just people who read liberal blogs. However, the wingnuts running our country bought off the media... with YOUR money.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2005_03_20_digbysblog_archive.html#111134934659869241
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies