How many airports have you been to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:40:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many airports have you been to?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: How many airports have you been to?  (Read 43899 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:55 AM »
« edited: March 25, 2014, 09:09:37 AM by angus »

Minneapolis/St. Paul has more amenities than you would expect, given its size.  

maybe.  I can't remember, even though I have flown from there many times.  We lived in northern Iowa for many years, and MSP was always the closest international airport.  My parents are from Minnesota and I have many relatives in the area.  When we fly from MSP I always stayed the night with my uncle prior to departing and upon return, and left my car in his driveway as well and he'd give us a ride.  My son's first few airline trips were always from MSP.  It could be that the reason I can't remember much about the amenities there is because I always had a rambunctious toddler in tow at MSP.  I think that MSP was also the first airport I flew into solo, without my parents.  That was when I was about 15, and I spent the summer in St. Paul with my uncle and cousins.

We also flew from Moline, IL when I lived in Iowa.  It's called the Quad Cities airport.  I'd have to say that among the ones around there (Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, etc.) it was my favorite, mostly because I could always get good prices for flights south (Mexico and Caribbean Islands), but we could never find good flights east from there.  Had to go to MSP for decent trans-pacific fares.

Now we also have a much bigger choice of international airports where I live.  I can take a train from just a couple of miles from my house to PHL and JFK easily, or take a train and then a bus to LaGuardia, or take a train and another train to Newark, or drive to Harrisburg International in 40 minutes, or to BWI in about 1.5 hours.  Of those, the smallest is Harrisburg, and it is the least hassle, both inside and out.  It is also the most expensive, so I don't use it often.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:54 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2014, 09:20:33 AM by ilikeverin »

Let's see, including transfers, I seem to have 46...

Seattle (only time I've been to Washington)
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Denver
Albuquerque
Houston
Minneapolis-St. Paul (a past "home airport", and forever my favorite)
St. Louis
Detroit (a past "home airport")
Lansing (a past "home airport")
Indianapolis
Fort Wayne
Chicago-O'Hare
Chicago-Midway
Milwaukee
Memphis (only time I've been to Tennessee)
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Columbus
Pensacola
Orlando
Fort Myers
Tampa
Miami
Atlanta
Washington-Dulles
Washington-Reagan (a current "home airport")
Baltimore-Washington (a current "home airport")
Rochester (NY)
New York-JFK
New York-LaGuardia
Newark (new as of 11 days ago)
Providence
Boston
Montréal-Trudeau
London-Heathrow
Paris-Charles de Gaulle
Amsterdam
Glasgow
EuroAirport (Basel)
Stockholm-Arlanda (new as of 10 days ago)
Tallinn (new as of 6 days ago)
Copenhagen (new as of 6 days ago)
Frankfurt (new as of yesterday)

Would also be curious to know what people's favorite airport is.  Minneapolis/St. Paul is actually probably the best one I've been to, at least of the American ones.  Gets high marks for the layout, and number of dining/entertainment options for an airport that size.

In the United States, the best airport is easily Detroit, particularly if you're flying Delta or one of their SkyTeam partners. That terminal is insane.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

it's two straight lines

and i always had to go from one end to the other

i hated everything
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »

Would also be curious to know what people's favorite airport is.  Minneapolis/St. Paul is actually probably the best one I've been to, at least of the American ones.  Gets high marks for the layout, and number of dining/entertainment options for an airport that size.

In the United States, the best airport is easily Detroit, particularly if you're flying Delta or one of their SkyTeam partners. That terminal is insane.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no

it's two straight lines

and i always had to go from one end to the other

i hated everything
[/quote]

Well, yes Tongue But it's still a really nice facility. I think Terminal A is the second longest terminal building in the world, so I understand your pain though haha.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:19 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 11:09:55 AM by Gass3268 »

LOL, it seems like everyone's been to Hartsfield. You know what they say, when you die, doesn't matter if you go to heaven or hell, you'll connect in Atlanta.

I've actually never been to Hartsfield.

Europe (3)

Brussels Airport (BRU)
Charles de Gaulle Airport (Paris) (CDG)
Dublin Airport (DUB)

North America (22)

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
Billings Logan International Airport (BIL)
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
Dane County Regional Airport (Madison) (MSN)
Denver International Airport (DEN)
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
General Mitchell International Airport (Milwaukee) (MKE)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
McCarran International Airport (Las Vegas) (LAS)
Miami International Airport (MIA)
Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
O'Hare International Airport (Chicago) (ORD)
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
Seattle–Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
St. Petersburg–Clearwater International Airport (PIE)
Tampa International Airport (TPA)
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)

South America (5)

Bauru Airport (BAU)
Congonhas-São Paulo Airport (CGH)
Deputado Luís Eduardo Magalhães International Airport (Salvador) (SSA)
Rio de Janeiro–Galeão International Airport (GIG)
São Paulo–Guarulhos International Airport (GRU)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »

One, though it was only to pick up my aunt. I've never been on an airplane before.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2014, 02:01:03 PM »

I'm not exactly sure how many I have been to.  Not more than 75 I'd guess.

Would also be curious to know what people's favorite airport is.  

My favorite ones are all really small, like Waterloo, Iowa or Columbus, Mississippi or Gilmer, Texas.  You can get there five minutes before your flight and no one hassles you.  

My first flight would have been to Waterloo, on what I thought was Braniff but after a little research had to of been Ozark.  Braniff, of course was much cooler:

Harrisonburg is a very easy airport to fly in and out of, beats Philly or any Baltimore-Washington.  Can't say I really enjoy any airport I've been in, even way back when I traveled with my father and he has access to the private lounges.  Just a place to get a beer and ordinary food until cattle herded on to the next locale.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 07:36:16 AM by Grumpy Gramps »

Boston Logan
LaGuardia
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Baltimore-Washington
Charlotte
Savannah-Hilton Head
Atlanta Hartsfield
Ft. Myers FL
Orlando
Tampa FL
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Nashville
New Orleans
Ohare
Midway
DFW
Houston Bush
San Antonio
Omaha
Denver
Las Vegas
San Diego
Portland
Seattle
San Juan
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »

way back when I traveled with my father

I remember back in the day.  First time I ever flew on an airplane was in about 1974 and my father's company paid for it, so it was first class.  The whole family flew to Amsterdam and our seats were on the upper storey of a two-decker.  KLM 747 I think it was.  Remember when people could smoke on planes?  All the second-hand smoke you could handle.  I remember when I was a kid I could walk up to the cockpit door and open it and talk to the captain.  C'mon in son, wanna see how a real airplane works?  That was special.  Back then people had leg room, even in the cheap seats.  And First Class was really special.  The big screen movies and fresh baked pastries and copious sodas and ice cream.  We also went on some cheap seats from time to time.  The cheap service back then was better than the first class service now. 

As recently as 15 years ago I still remember getting on an airplane with my electric guitar case.  No one asking me what was inside it or x-raying it to look for weapons, or asking me to check it and stow it below because it was so big.

Times have changed.  Not having to take off my shoes at the airport or actually having leg room on a plane now seems like it must have happened in a dream.  Nowadays it's like, "Oh, you want to take a suitcase with you?  That'll be an extre twenty-five dollars, please."   Seriouly?

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »

One, though it was only to pick up my aunt. I've never been on an airplane before.

Wait, seriously?
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »

I remember back in the day.  First time I ever flew on an airplane was in about 1974 and my father's company paid for it, so it was first class.  The whole family flew to Amsterdam and our seats were on the upper storey of a two-decker.  KLM 747 I think it was.  Remember when people could smoke on planes?  All the second-hand smoke you could handle.  I remember when I was a kid I could walk up to the cockpit door and open it and talk to the captain.  C'mon in son, wanna see how a real airplane works?  That was special.  Back then people had leg room, even in the cheap seats.  And First Class was really special.  The big screen movies and fresh baked pastries and copious sodas and ice cream.  We also went on some cheap seats from time to time.  The cheap service back then was better than the first class service now. 

As recently as 15 years ago I still remember getting on an airplane with my electric guitar case.  No one asking me what was inside it or x-raying it to look for weapons, or asking me to check it and stow it below because it was so big.

Times have changed.  Not having to take off my shoes at the airport or actually having leg room on a plane now seems like it must have happened in a dream.  Nowadays it's like, "Oh, you want to take a suitcase with you?  That'll be an extre twenty-five dollars, please."   Seriouly?

I can't necessarily speak from the same perspective, as I certainly did not fly in 1974, but I certainly agree with your overall point. Traveling is not so fun now a days, and not necessarily just because of the security aspect, but air service is just not the same as it was even 10 years ago.

Random - but you can still smoke on some airlines (not in the US, but many Middle Eastern airlines).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:42 PM »

West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Pittsburg
Charlotte
Baltimore
Wilmington (NC)
Arnold Palmer Regional Airport (PA)
Atlanta
Reagan National
Dulles
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

Braniff, of course was much cooler:

That reminds me of a story.  Braniff was known for painting its planes in different colors.  Braniff had only one 747 in its fleet, painted orange and used on the Dallas-Honolulu route.  Supposedly an air traffic controller after having noticed that each time he saw a Braniff 747 that it was orange asked the pilot if all of Braniff's 747 were painted orange, to which the pilot simply replied, yes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »

Angus, you didn't like Detroit? I'm referring to the McNamara Terminal, with the monorail, fountains, etc. Not the other terminal where they have like everyone other than Delta.

First time I flew Detroit, I wasn't aware and really had no reason to consider that if you're flying to or from Japan to anywhere in the Eastern 2/3rds of the US, you're probably going thru Detroit. For whatever reason my connecting flight to Harrisburg, PA was going out of the international terminal and when I stepped on the monorail to go that terminal--nothing but a sea of Japanese.  I was very baffled and very tall.  It was good practice for when I actually did get to fly to Japan.

Besides that, my other basic memory of the Detroit airport is they were really really trying to sell beef jerky.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:52 PM »

Braniff, of course was much cooler:

That reminds me of a story.  Braniff was known for painting its planes in different colors.  Braniff had only one 747 in its fleet, painted orange and used on the Dallas-Honolulu route.  Supposedly an air traffic controller after having noticed that each time he saw a Braniff 747 that it was orange asked the pilot if all of Braniff's 747 were painted orange, to which the pilot simply replied, yes.

Somewhere in the attic I have a couple of Braniff model planes packed away.  One was the orange/brown and the other was the blue/green.  The 70s were wondrously tacky.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »

I can't necessarily speak from the same perspective, as I certainly did not fly in 1974, but I certainly agree with your overall point. Traveling is not so fun now a days, and not necessarily just because of the security aspect, but air service is just not the same as it was even 10 years ago.

Random - but you can still smoke on some airlines (not in the US, but many Middle Eastern airlines).

I agree with all, much of the fun of flying has been sucked out, as for terminals I never really thought there was much fun to be had there.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »

Toronto Pearson International Airport (2001, 2002, 2012, 2013, 2014)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (2001)
Orlando International Airport (2002, 2013, 2014)
Buffalo Niagara International Airport (2010)
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (2010)
Los Angeles International Airport (2010)
Washington Dulles International Airport (2010, 2014)
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (2011)
Newark Liberty International Airport (2011)
Lisbon Portela Airport (2012)
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport (2013)
Halifax Stanfield International Airport (2013)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (2014)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »

Here's my list, with the most visited coming first -

Domestic:
Golden Triangle Regional Airport; Columbus, MS
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport; Atlanta, GA
Baltimore-Washington International Airport; Baltimore, MD
San Antonio International Airport; San Antonio, TX
Ronald Reagan National Airport; Washington, D.C.
Memphis International Airport; Memphis, TN
Jackson-Evers International Airport; Jackson, MS
William P. Hobby Airport; Houston, TX
LaGuardia Airport; New York, NY
Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport; Birmingham, AL
Love Field; Dallas, TX
Newark International Airport; Newark, NJ
Boston Logan International; Boston, MA
Chicago Midway; Chiago, IL
Los Angeles International Airport; Los Angeles, AZ
Phoenix Sky Harbor International; Phoenix, AZ
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport; Seattle, WA

International:
(I don't know the names so I'll just do cities)
London
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Seville
Frankfurt
Cancun

I think my favorites so far have been Jackson, Boston, Atlanta and Amsterdam.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »

Wait, seriously?

Yep.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 01:30:11 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 01:33:19 AM by dead0man »

(in order as far as I can remember)
St.Louis (Lambert)
Orlando
I was a learning to be a private pilot so I've been to several small airports....
Bethalto IL (St Louis Regional Airport...not small at all)
several small airports around central and southern IL
then I got scared and stopped
Atlanta
Chicago-Midway
Houston-Hobby
San Antonio
Gulfport MS
Omaha (Epply)
Las Vegas

edit...farts...knew I'd forget some
Dallas
Phoenix
Tuscon
Kansas City
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »

I think just Logan and Manchester (NH). And a few other small airports.
Alien
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:07 AM »

Chicago-Midway and Kansas City.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »

Um.. lol guess I gotta write them down to figure it out. I'm curious now.

Boston Logan
Bradley Airport
Westchester
LaGuardia
Kennedy
Newark
Elmira Corning
Detroit
Charolette
Atlanta
Orlando
Miami
Tampa
Bush Intercont
Houston Hobby
Ohare
Nashville
Reagan
Dulles

Guess it was 19
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »

What occasion would you have to come through PIE?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 10:32:44 AM »

What occasion would you have to come through PIE?

I went to the Outback Bowl in 2004/2005 and stayed in Clearwater. The tour group we went with charted flights directly from Madison to PIE.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 04:14:47 PM »

Atlanta
Miami
DC (Dulles)
Philadelphia