AK Rep: Women will "act responsibly" with state-funded pregnancy tests in bars
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AK Rep: Women will "act responsibly" with state-funded pregnancy tests in bars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: AK Rep: Women will "act responsibly" with state-funded pregnancy tests in bars  (Read 3078 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:54 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:29 AM »

What a contradiction....
Joshgreen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »

What a joke. Contraception kiosks (like at the airport) make sense, but this is ridiculous.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »

Why do Republicans worry about this sort of thing? 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »

Fetal alcohol syndrome isn't exactly a good thing...
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »

Let me rephrase: Why do Republicans think this would be a solution?  They're always coming up with the strangest ways to handle things we traditionally leave to individuals.  Who takes a pregnancy test at a bar? 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:12:15 PM »

His mother must have had a few too many when he was in the womb.

The moral incentives proposed by the right-wing are often dangerous for our society. They believe that threatening people with disproportionate destruction will elicit moral behavior. For instance, ruining someone's life with a marijuana conviction is a good way to stop them from ruining their life with drugs. In the end, we end up with prisoners.

It wouldn't be so obnoxious if they weren't caught in a vortex of cyclical reasoning. People broke the law; therefore, they must be punished. Okay, but we write the laws and the punishments so you are accountable to society to make sure the punishment fits the crime.

Furthermore, they claim to be the party of Christian ethics, but you'll not find this kind of moral skull-bashing anywhere in the New Testament.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »

A lot of things aren't good things. But we have to use good judgment in determining which ones are enough of a problem that the costs of a public intervention are outweighed by the benefits of mitigating the problem.

Is fetal alcohol syndrome occurring significantly more often than it has been? Would this program actually reduce fetal alcohol syndrome? Are the sort of women who drink heavily during pregnancy going to be doing that drinking in bars? Probably not, considering alcoholics as a group tend to do most of their drinking privately at home.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »

Let me rephrase: Why do Republicans think this would be a solution?  They're always coming up with the strangest ways to handle things we traditionally leave to individuals.  Who takes a pregnancy test at a bar? 

This is one of those few instances where HockeyDude and I are of one mind.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:07 PM »

Once again, Republicans only care about the welfare of children when it gives them an opportunity to legally invade women's bodies.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

"Birth control is for people who don’t necessarily want to act responsibly," says a man who has no business making public policy for humans living in 2014.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 05:28:28 AM »

Iono...I suppose I didn't find the concept of publicly-subsidized pregnancy tests to be that absurd (though the choice of venue is absolutely ridiculous and panders to the guy's own misconceptions about women in and of itself).

What's really screwy is the fact that he thinks birth control is "irresponsible" (as in more of that Limbaugh nonsense; "they're takin' them pills n' having sexual intercourse with dozens of men each day because they're sluts and I don't wanna pay for it unless I can watch!").

Based on the latter, he's given us insight into his mindset that women are irresponsible and can't be trusted with their own reproductive health and safety, and the former isn't all that peachy, either. What's hilarious is that it's a hypocrisy - a consistent socon mindset would label both of these circumstances (taking birth control and taking pregnancy tests at bars) to be accommodations of rather promiscuous behavior and refuse to fund either.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 05:46:48 AM »

How the.. what? Access to birth control is a "level of social engineering?"

Does that include condoms?

Am I really reading this correctly? This man is an imbecile.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 06:51:01 AM »

This is incredibly stupid. He's really helping the republican party reach out to women!

And apparently birth control is for non-responsible people? You gotta be kidding me, that's reverse logic.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »

Once again, Republicans only care about the welfare of children when it gives them an opportunity to legally invade women's bodies.

You're giving the most strident of pro-lifers too much credit, Lief.  They don't give two [Inks] about the welfare of children or infants or feti.  The abortion thing has always been their way of punishing "sluts".  The extreme RR despises the female body and the idea of a female having sex for pleasure.  They obviously get millions of well-intentioned conservatives and religiouses on their side of the issue; and I certainly can't knock them for defending a being they believe to be 100% a person.  Those in charge of the GOP and their mass of votes are two completely different things, though. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »

Very true. My post should read "pretend to care."
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »

Very true. My post should read "pretend to care."

That would just about hit the nail on the head. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 07:52:45 PM »

As I already said, the right fringes of the Republican Party aren't pro-life, they are pro-birth, since they don't give a damn for the baby well-being once he is born.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »

As I already said, the right fringes of the Republican Party aren't pro-life, they are pro-birth, since they don't give a damn for the baby well-being once he is born.

Like I said, they don't give a crap about the infant. They give a crap about shaming the girl because she got some action... Probably something the rumpled old farts who stand outside of abortion clinics couldn't do.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

Like I said, they don't give a crap about the infant. They give a crap about shaming the girl because she got some action... Probably something the rumpled old farts who stand outside of abortion clinics couldn't do.

Rick Santorum's 8 kids disagree.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »

Santorum is hardly "a rumpled old fart".
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »

Oh my Al... what a stupid example. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »

Hmmm. And here I thought most pro-lifers believe that terminating a 20 week old fetus was akin to murdering a child. Turns out they're all just sexually repressed. Thanks for the news!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

He supports spending taxpayer money to give women a choice? RINO!
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

Hmmm. And here I thought most pro-lifers believe that terminating a 20 week old fetus was akin to murdering a child. Turns out they're all just sexually repressed. Thanks for the news!

Read my above post, Mr. Guy.  I said the "most strident". 

You still probably underestimate sexual repression, but that's a different discussion. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies