1984: An Unexpected Tragedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:41:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1984: An Unexpected Tragedy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1984: An Unexpected Tragedy  (Read 3044 times)
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2014, 10:01:56 PM by BaconBacon96 »

BREAKING NEWS: President Reagan and Vice President Bush Shot, Killed at Campaign Rally
[/b]

Ronald Wilson Reagan (1911-1984), George Herbert Walker Bush (1924-1984

August 9 1984

At a reelection rally in downtown Columbus, Ohio, President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George Bush were both shot and killed, while three others were injured. The President was making a speech to a large crowd, before he was shot once in the head by a sniper. The sniper than turned their attention to the Vice President, hitting him once in the chest and once in the head. After that, they began firing randomly into the fleeing crowd, injuring three civilians. The President was killed instantly, while the VP died on the way to hospital. The suspect is still missing.

Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill is due to be sworn in as the 41st President of the United States shortly and is expected to speak on the tragedy in the next couple of hours. The Mondale campaign has released only a brief statement at this stage, saying it is "Very saddened" by the reports. Walter Mondale is also expected to speak on the tragedy shortly.

The shocking assassinations of both men on the Republican ticket has thrown the GOP into disarray just 11 days out from the Convention, where both men were expected to have been renominated for the election. Now, the Republicans will have to decide on a new candidate.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »

Newly sworn in President Tip O'Neill spoke to the media about the unexpected assassinations of President Reagan and Vice President Bush.

"Today is a sad day for America. Two good men were gunned down in broad daylight in Columbus, Ohio, while they were campaigning in a democratic election. There is nothing democratic about the use of cowardly violence in this manner. We will find the perpetrators of this heinous act, but in the mean time we shall mourn the loss of Ronald Reagan and George Bush. I will most definitely not be running for this office and I will serve out this term until January 1985. In between that time, I shall continue to oversee the implementation of this Administration's short term agenda. Have the Reagan and Bush families in your thoughts and prayers tonight. God bless America."

Walter Mondale also spoke about the day's events.

"Ronald Reagan was a very popular and widely respected individual. His loss comes at a pivotal time for our country and we will dearly miss him in the United States. He was a man of remarkable character and his sudden killing greatly saddens me. His loss is made all the more tragic by the killing of his Vice President George Bush, a greatly respected individual. The coming days and even weeks will not be for campaigning, they will be for mourning and remembering two good people and the legacy they left for our nation."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:55:39 PM »

I don't pay much attention to timelines these days, but this looks interesting.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

I'm assuming Republicans would talk former Texas Governor Bill Clements (R) into running for President.

Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander (R) would also be considered as VP.

Poor Nancy, the Zero Year Curse strikes again.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »

Would be a bit more interesting if this had happened at a campaign event post nomination convention perhaps a month or so before the election. The GOP would have an even harder time scrambling for replacement nominees.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

Would their names stay on the November ballot in all 50 states?

Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

Would their names stay on the November ballot in all 50 states?

Depends on when said event happens. If October particularly late then possibly. If September post convention then probably not. Im not sure how far out ballots were printed back in 84. I wonder how said event would help Mondale. I highly doubt he does worse then the actual timeline and worse being losing Minnesota.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »

Would be a bit more interesting if this had happened at a campaign event post nomination convention perhaps a month or so before the election. The GOP would have an even harder time scrambling for replacement nominees.
They would have, but then I wouldn't be able to write about the chaotic convention like I intend to.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2014, 08:17:52 PM by BaconBacon96 »

August 10 1984

The bodies of President Reagan and Vice President Bush have been transferred to the White House East Room and the US Capitol Rotunda respectively to lie in state until the state funeral services for both men.

Meanwhile, Tip O'Neill gave a brief update about the search for the assassin.

"The search is focusing on a man and a woman who were seen acting suspiciously in the hours and minutes before the shooting. We are also examining far-leftist groups in the area, to see if any of them had the potential to be involved."

August 14 1984

The state funeral for Ronald Reagan was held, with a number of American and international dignitaries attending the procession and service. A crowd of thousands made it's way out to see the procession as it made it's way through Washington.

Televangelist Pat Robertson became the first person to express interest in a run for the GOP presidential nomination when he made an appearance on CBS Evening News with Dan Rather.

"Ronald Reagan was a great man and a great leader. Both Ronald and I are proud members of the conservative movement. I think we believed in the some values, those values were reflected in the Administration and I think I am the best person to continue that. I will be running for the GOP nomination for President of the United States."

Al Haig staged a brief press conference in Washington DC, where he indicated his intention to run for the presidential nomination.
"I will run for president, as I believe in what Ronald Reagan believed in. I intend to lead America through this hard time."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »

Barring a conservative surge, I see Baker as the highest ranking party leader and this in the best position to be the substitute nominee?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »

Barring a conservative surge, I see Baker as the highest ranking party leader and this in the best position to be the substitute nominee?
He is in the best position to be the nominee, doesn't mean he's guaranteed to be the nominee.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »

I assume Reagan would have been buried at Forest Lawn Glendale in Glendale, CA and Bush 41 buried at Texas A&M University campus in College Station, TX.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies