Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:00:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover  (Read 6096 times)
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »

I wish white people could just be content in the fact that they control and own everything (I mean, they have a viable political party that specifically CATERS TO THEM!) and stop getting in such a tizzy over little things like this. 

And Nick Cannon's a FF for doing something he knew would be offensive to many.
Tell that to a white person from say East St Louis. Racism works both ways bud.

Are there any white people from East St. Louis? 
*raises hand* I was lived there until a couple years ago. If you ever want to experience what its like to run for your life, walk downtown at night.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 05:37:38 AM »

This is pretty funny.

I do wish that people would drop this idea that being white automatically means being privileged. It's such a white middle-class-and-upwards thing to think.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:22 AM »

I wish white people could just be content in the fact that they control and own everything (I mean, they have a viable political party that specifically CATERS TO THEM!) and stop getting in such a tizzy over little things like this. 

Uh no.

Discrimination =/= racism.

Racism is ingrained in society and works to disadavtange one group.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 05:55:41 AM »

Depending, of course, on how one defines "racism".
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:27 AM »

This is pretty funny.

I do wish that people would drop this idea that being white automatically means being privileged. It's such a white middle-class-and-upwards thing to think.

Ummm... being white automatically does mean you're privileged, all things equal and relative to non-white people. At least in the United States.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 11:36:35 AM »

This is pretty funny.

Ummm... being white automatically does mean you're privileged, all things equal and relative to non-white people. At least in the United States.

Appalachian backwoods hick Billy-Joe Johnson is more privileged than Simfan?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 12:12:13 PM by traininthedistance »

This is pretty funny.

I think you missed the "all things being equal" part of the equation. Compare apples to apples, and Billy-Joe Johnson is more privileged than migrant farm worker Jesus Ramierez or Delta sharecropper Gwendolyn Jackson.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think you missed the "all things being equal" part of the equation. Compare apples to apples, and Billy-Joe Johnson is more privileged than migrant farm worker Jesus Ramierez or Delta sharecropper Gwendolyn Jackson.
[/quote]

Yes, but "all things equal" in this case is a rhetorical fiction.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 05:15:46 PM by HockeyDude »

Seriously?  People that do things that they know are going to be offensive are FFs?  Really?  Wow.

It's like, the definition of freedom fighting in many cases, dude... especially in America.  We have somehow gotten to a society where the commoner feels they are granted the right to not be offended.  It's awful, and we need the brash and unfiltered amongst us to point the middle finger to the world and yell [Inks] in a crowded mall.  
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »

I guess respect is an old-fashioned concept.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »

What is this guy doing to disrespect white people?  He's certainly stereotyping white people, but he's doing it in a fairly positive way.  Having good credit and eating locally grown vegetables isn't exactly a negative stereotype.  And, in any case, white middle class people who are being stereotyped are sort of the default of American society so they can't really be marginalized in any significant way. 

If you ask me, this should be more offensive to black people.  By defining things like shopping at a farmer's market as "white," you're reinforcing the black social norms of poor diet that mean black people have more health problems and shorter life spans than white people.  By defining "good credit" as white, you're normalizing the pattern of financial illiteracy among blacks.  And, just by focusing on racial differences in this stereotypical, stupid way, you're creating barriers that ensure black people maintain an inferior position in society.  There's also this undercurrent of masculinity/macho association with black men here that is another discussion entirely.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 05:57:38 PM »

Can we please stop pretending that Nick Cannon has any influence. This would be like if Fred Savage or Carlos Mencia did "Asianface". They're just begging for your attention. Why give it to them?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »

What is this guy doing to disrespect white people?  He's certainly stereotyping white people, but he's doing it in a fairly positive way.  Having good credit and eating locally grown vegetables isn't exactly a negative stereotype.  And, in any case, white middle class people who are being stereotyped are sort of the default of American society so they can't really be marginalized in any significant way. 

If you ask me, this should be more offensive to black people.  By defining things like shopping at a farmer's market as "white," you're reinforcing the black social norms of poor diet that mean black people have more health problems and shorter life spans than white people.  By defining "good credit" as white, you're normalizing the pattern of financial illiteracy among blacks.  And, just by focusing on racial differences in this stereotypical, stupid way, you're creating barriers that ensure black people maintain an inferior position in society.  There's also this undercurrent of masculinity/macho association with black men here that is another discussion entirely.

Sorry, I was mostly referring to HockeyDude's "definition of freedom fighting."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 06:16:49 PM by Simfan »

At least you're not talking about "morality".

This is pretty funny.

This is very true. Very very true. Emphasis on the "upwards" part here, it is ramapant here. I've written several articles on the topic because it just is too much.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »

This is pretty funny.

Why not?  It's an automatic streak of sympathy from the ruling class.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »

This is pretty funny.

What does that mean? The ruling class is not white.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »

This is pretty funny.

Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 10:19:34 PM by Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin »

Uh no.

Let me make sure I get this. If I followed a black kid home, and screamed go home n(inks), while throwing rocks at him you would call me racist correct? But yet if its the other way around its not?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »

This is pretty funny.

romney+laughing.jpeg

If you think the "ruling class" cares about  a color other than green these days, then you are fooling yourself.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »

Uh no.

Let me make sure I get this. If I followed a black kid home, and screamed go home n(inks), while throwing rocks at him you would call me racist correct? But yet if its the other way around its not?
Correct... White people have been "racist" far longer than anyone else therefore we(they) are the only ones who get stuck with the label, like it or not.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »

This is pretty funny.

romney+laughing.jpeg

If you think the "ruling class" cares about  a color other than green these days, then you are fooling yourself.
To be fair a lot of they care about a certain white powder.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »

This is pretty funny.

I have an idea. Why don't you come to my hometown? That way you can lecture all the white people, many of whom live on less than a grand a month about how privileged they are.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:22 PM »

This is pretty funny.

I have an idea. Why don't you come to my hometown? That way you can lecture all the white people, many of whom live on less than a grand a month about how privileged they are.

Your reading comprehension is so, so bad.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »

Uh no.

Correct... White people have been "racist" far longer than anyone else therefore we(they) are the only ones who get stuck with the label, like it or not.
Why should modern white people be punished for something they had nothing to do with? Should the great-grand children of men like Orval Faubus and George Wallace be punished for their ancestors actions?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »

No one is punishing white people, jesus christ.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies