i'm starting to think the u.s. should (temporarily) have a foreign person
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:14:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  i'm starting to think the u.s. should (temporarily) have a foreign person
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: i'm starting to think the u.s. should (temporarily) have a foreign person  (Read 1305 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »

come in and rule over our country for a few years. It obviously sounds preposterous, so let me explain. Neither the left or right seems to get things right in the U.S. Its hard for people to assess things because they often have a stake in the system.

So the idea would be to get someone(s)  from another country and have them be the boss for a few years and act as sort of a "jury" on american issues. Most political issues through the American context and through their own lenses and it would almost be an improvement if someone with no allegiances gave some ideas.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:29 PM »

Whoever gets elected in the US has to work within the system.  It doesn't work that way at all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »

We already have Obama in office.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »

come in and rule over our country for a few years. It obviously sounds preposterous, so let me explain. Neither the left or right seems to get things right in the U.S. Its hard for people to assess things because they often have a stake in the system.

So the idea would be to get someone(s)  from another country and have them be the boss for a few years and act as sort of a "jury" on american issues. Most political issues through the American context and through their own lenses and it would almost be an improvement if someone with no allegiances gave some ideas.

The problem is that "someone with no allegiances" really doesn't exist.  Everybody is going to have political allegiances and biases of some kind.  The only difference between bringing a foreigner in is that his allegiances will be international instead of intranational.  Then you have the problem of deciding who would be this "foreign person".  No country is perfect, and politicians of all countries have flaws (it's part of human nature) and many values and positions are subjective.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

Not that I would have a problem with that idea....but it's not exactly a neutral option. It's clear Democrats will be happier with the results than Republicans...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:22:34 PM »

Not that I would have a problem with that idea....but it's not exactly a neutral option. It's clear Democrats will be happier with the results than Republicans...

Judging from the comments on most right wing blogs these days, they'd be quite happy with Putin.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

Up until the late 19th century, this was what was expected of countries.

Obviously the proper solution is to put a person with the right ideas into the supreme executive authority with vastly expanded powers of promulgation and execution than the President has presently. But that won't happen.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:54:19 PM »

What about a moderate technocrat?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:21 PM »

Because they are literally Morgan Stanley and IMF pawns?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:07:55 AM »

Up until the late 19th century, this was what was expected of countries.

Obviously the proper solution is to put a person with the right ideas into the supreme executive authority with vastly expanded powers of promulgation and execution than the President has presently. But that won't happen.
I agree, we need Fuher Merkel.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 07:36:55 AM »

Technocrats get surprisingly-bad results in practice. They are command-and-control types who just can't cope with the realities of democracy. 
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »

No.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »

This is so stupid.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 01:00:53 PM »

What incentive do they have to fix the United States? If we're giving them pay incentives, we could do the same thing for US citizens.

None of our politicians have economics degrees or rigorous business training, which should be a minimum prerequisite for anyone who controls $3T in government revenue.

Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, W Bush all had economics or MBAs from prestigious institutions. Obama does not.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 01:29:58 PM »

What incentive do they have to fix the United States? If we're giving them pay incentives, we could do the same thing for US citizens.

None of our politicians have economics degrees or rigorous business training, which should be a minimum prerequisite for anyone who controls $3T in government revenue.

Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, W Bush all had economics or MBAs from prestigious institutions. Obama does not.

Ah, yes, because a degree from that vaunted hive of great minds, Eureka College, trumps Harvard Law School any day of the week.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »

No, since many universities aren't "teaching" economy anymore, it's just a long propaganda program for the economical school the economy department is liking the most.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »

No, since many universities aren't "teaching" economy anymore, it's just a long propaganda program for the economical school the economy department is liking the most.

Have you completed a degree in economics? I have two from different universities, and while I can say they didn't teach heterodoxy as gospel, they certainly didn't shy away from it, either.

Most of the criticism coming from the university scene is from hyper-intelligent kids, who cannot yet comprehend how poorly the electorate selects people to handle money. By assuming competence, they imagine that our problems are caused by inadequate exposure to alternative theory, not inadequate exposure to any theory or empirical discipline.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »

Have you completed a degree in economics? I have two from different universities, and while I can say they didn't teach heterodoxy as gospel, they certainly didn't shy away from it, either.

I have friends who studied in economy at two universities and they said than it was very different. One was insisting on keynesianism, with some teachers leaning towards marxism, and the other one was much more modered and balanced (with a couple problematic teachers, which were more more doing a sale pitch for neo-liberalism and/or Austria than an economy course). But perhaps the provision is better in your area than mine.

As someone with an hard science background, I have issues with the fact than it's so easy for teachers to veer into ideology.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »

Well, it would be nice to have people outside U.S. corporate influence have SOME say in our government than the current situation: someone impartial, that's about as far as I'd go.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »

Well, it would be nice to have people outside U.S. corporate influence have SOME say in our government than the current situation: someone impartial, that's about as far as I'd go.
Why would a foreigner be free from corporate influence?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »

U.S. corporate influence. Europeans have done better at handling that than we have, and I think if we have a first world ally in whose country we have a military presence, then they should get to vote in our elections. Britain (Air Force, I believe) Italy, Germany, and Australia, specifically.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

I have friends who studied in economy at two universities and they said than it was very different. One was insisting on keynesianism, with some teachers leaning towards marxism, and the other one was much more modered and balanced (with a couple problematic teachers, which were more more doing a sale pitch for neo-liberalism and/or Austria than an economy course). But perhaps the provision is better in your area than mine.

As someone with an hard science background, I have issues with the fact than it's so easy for teachers to veer into ideology.

Not necessarily an inaccurate characterization, but what students should realize by the end of their degree program is that macro planning and economic growth rely upon management of inter-related factors. Demand, supply, monetarism, psychology and expectation, political economy, growth aggregation, etc. These economic components generally have dominant schools of thought. Neo-Keynesian economics is mainly demand-side, for instance. Neoliberalism is generally psychological and expectation based.

Even if a professor constricts students to a single-minded approach, the students can still make some contribution to the system. Serious problems don't really arise until zealotry causes people to deny any shortcoming in their own preferred school or situational analysis.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 05:25:44 PM »

This should be easy to remember: heterodoxy=heresy, and Chang should be the first up for the auto-da-fe.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »

U.S. corporate influence. Europeans have done better at handling that than we have, and I think if we have a first world ally in whose country we have a military presence, then they should get to vote in our elections. Britain (Air Force, I believe) Italy, Germany, and Australia, specifically.
I still don't get how a foreigner would be free from influence by US corporations. Couldn't most of the corporate lobbying techniques used on American politicians be used just as easily on a foreigner living in America?

As for your idea about giving foreigners votes because we have bases in their countries, I would have to strongly disagree with that. There are so many government policies other than military bases (which aren't likely to change regardless of who wins most elections) that I really don't think its fair to give people votes on that basis. Although, one positive effect of this idea is that it would probably increase political support for getting rid of useless bases first world countries considerably.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies