Poll Shows ACA Support Growing, People Tired of Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:33:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll Shows ACA Support Growing, People Tired of Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Poll Shows ACA Support Growing, People Tired of Debate  (Read 1395 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »

Link to poll here The tracking poll was done by Kaiser Family Foundation (They have a good track record for healthcare opinion polling).

Greg Sargent from The Washington Post breaks it down in his column.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

ACA is popular to bash because the technical details are still being worked out, but if the GOP ever successfully repeals it, the midterm afterwards will be a bloodbath for them. There are way too many popular individual provisions within ACA for a full repeal to work.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »

It doesn't matter what people think, except to the politicians whose jobs depend on winning popularity contests.

If healthcare costs don't come down substantially, we won't have any jobs left in this country.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 04:27:19 PM »

TPM has an article on the poll.
ajackson
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 0.17

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:29:02 PM »

Asking if they would support repealing and replacing with a GOP alter alternative is loaded. The approval rating for the law and the fact that an equal number of people support outright repeal as do keeping the law unchanged is bad news for 2014 Democrats.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »

Why is it loaded? Because Republicans are so ridiculously unpopular?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:01:34 PM »

Implying Republicans have an alternative.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »

Refundable tax credits are too complicated for liberal brains?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »

Refundable tax credits are too complicated for liberal brains?

No but apparently elementary economic concepts are too complex for Republicans like you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_selection
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 05:29:06 PM »

I'm a mom like you. I like choices. And ObamaCare takes away my choices by giving me a healthcare marketplace where I can shop for a plan. And ObamaCare violates my constitutional rights because there's an enrollment deadline extension that makes it easier for me to get coverage. It's scary, really scary, especially now that my kids are protected as a part of my plan until age 26. We need to stop ObamaCare now, because America. And American flags, whom fly to honor our veterans. God bless veterans.

Also, Obama is from Kenya.

I'm a mom like you, and I approved this message.

Message paid for by Americans for Prosperity.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

I'm a mom like you. I like choices. And ObamaCare takes away my choices by giving me a healthcare marketplace where I can shop for a plan. And ObamaCare violates my constitutional rights because there's an enrollment deadline extension that makes it easier for me to get coverage. It's scary, really scary, especially now that my kids are protected as a part of my plan until age 26. We need to stop ObamaCare now, because America. And American flags, whom fly to honor our veterans. God bless veterans.

It's amazing how many people in the GOP would actually fall for that if it was put into a real ad. These people don't use logic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »

It's amazing how many people in the GOP would actually fall for that if it was put into a real ad. These people don't use logic.

So why do you insist on still clinging to a blue avatar?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »

No but apparently elementary economic concepts are too complex for Republicans like you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_selection

Your entire objection to Republican healthcare reform is your assumption that it will not require minimum levels of coverage?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »

We already had healthcare marketplaces, and risk was pooled differently. The 40 year old mother was not forced to subsidize birth control for an 18 year old single woman. The 18 year old single woman was not covering prostate exams for the 60 year old man. The 60 year old man was not charged for maternity services for the 25 year old woman.

Obamacare is a convoluted cost shifting arrangement. You don't know whether you're the patsy until you sign up.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »

Having a working healthcare marketplace pre-ObamaCare would be news to me.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »

Having a working healthcare marketplace pre-ObamaCare would be news to me.

The biggest online health insurance marketplace (eHealth) is based in California. It's publicly traded, and it's basically been around since I've had the net (late 90s). I'm self-employed so I've been shopping with them for years.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 04:00:19 AM »

So why do you insist on still clinging to a blue avatar?

As I've told a friend of mine who is a former Democratic state rep, if I didn't disagree with the Democratic Party on virtually every issue, I would've left the Republican Party.

I still agree with the GOP from an ideological standpoint; it's the people within the party that I have a problem with.  And being an independent has not appeal to me, because you end up getting left out of much of the process as a result.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »

Well, when something progressive gets pushed through, and we all get told the world is going to end, and then the world doesn't end...

Seems reasonable that the little peeps will all start cooling off about it a bit, eh? 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »

Well, when something progressive gets pushed through, and we all get told the world is going to end, and then the world doesn't end...

Seems reasonable that the little peeps will all start cooling off about it a bit, eh? 

Dude, you need to look at the data. The US is crumbling. GDP growth is smaller than the trade deficit and the federal budget deficit. US healthcare spending per capita is 50% higher than any other nation.

By nature, human beings are designed to prefer slow, predictable death, and that's about all Obamacare can promise.

Most of the programs created by Democrats are so far beneath basic human dignity, it's astonishing they receive any votes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »

Dude, you need to look at the data. The US is crumbling. GDP growth is smaller than the trade deficit and the federal budget deficit. US healthcare spending per capita is 50% higher than any other nation.

By nature, human beings are designed to prefer slow, predictable death, and that's about all Obamacare can promise.

Most of the programs created by Democrats are so far beneath basic human dignity, it's astonishing they receive any votes.

Well, Republicans are proposing no program at all, which is literally underground on the dignity level.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 10:45:34 PM »

Well, Republicans are proposing no program at all, which is literally underground on the dignity level.

Republicans have proposed economic revolution, and we've discussed the possibility of adverse selection on several occasions. Perhaps the biggest problem with refundable tax credits is that they give the government a reason to raise healthcare costs to raise federal revenue. Perverse incentives for government bureaucrats could be worse than perverse incentives for consumers in our current system.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »

Republicans have proposed economic revolution, and we've discussed the possibility of adverse selection on several occasions. Perhaps the biggest problem with refundable tax credits is that they give the government a reason to raise healthcare costs to raise federal revenue. Perverse incentives for government bureaucrats could be worse than perverse incentives for consumers in our current system.

"Economic revolution", seriously? The current tax code is a Republican dream, and Obamacare is very close to Romneycare, which itself similar to a 90s Heritage Foundation plan.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

"Economic revolution", seriously? The current tax code is a Republican dream, and Obamacare is very close to Romneycare, which itself similar to a 90s Heritage Foundation plan.
What do you mean by this?

Obamacare may be similar to Romneycare, but Romneycare was not devised by the Heritage Foundation. The Heritage Foundation proposed an individual catastrophic health insurance mandate. Obamacare has an individual comprehensive health insurance mandate, and involves far more than just that.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »

What do you mean by this?

It's full of loopholes, than can be used by pretty much any wealthy person or corporation.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

The individual code is not full of loopholes. The richest Americans pay low tax rates because they don't earn income. They earn unrealized capital gains. When they realize gains, tax rates are lower because capital gains is a time-value proposition.

The corporate tax system is full of loopholes because taxing income at the corporate level is an inefficient waste of time. Double taxation of dividends has eliminated cash dividends in the US, which has undermined the US tax base.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies