NLRB rules Northwestern University players can form a union
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:28:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NLRB rules Northwestern University players can form a union
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NLRB rules Northwestern University players can form a union  (Read 448 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »

Great news for the players and for college football as a whole.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:53:07 PM »

Excellent! College athletes earn athletic departments coffers upon coffers of cash, and that they are not compensated in some way is ridiculous. I basically believe that collegiate student athletes should be compensated somehow.

And management will say, "Okay then, we'll just shut it down." Well, shut it down! You're cutting off a huge source of income, and no one will be happy about that either.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:55 PM »

Excellent! College athletes earn athletic departments coffers upon coffers of cash, and that they are not compensated in some way is ridiculous. I basically believe that collegiate student athletes should be compensated somehow.

And management will say, "Okay then, we'll just shut it down." Well, shut it down! You're cutting off a huge source of income, and no one will be happy about that either.

My understanding is that the only sport that generates money for the university or college is Football (with perhaps a mens basketball squad or two being a net giver)...am I mistaken?

How many players on average are on a NCAA football squad...70? 80?  How many, on average, are receiving a scholarship?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »

This is certainly a birthday present in and of itself! Smiley Good luck to these workers in their fight to establish a union.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »

I'm honestly of the opinion there shouldn't be such a thing as "college athletics" unionized or otherwise... The two are not compatible.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:00:09 PM »

Weren't the Green Bay Packers the only unionized team in all of American football prior to this announcement?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »

My understanding is that the only sport that generates money for the university or college is Football (with perhaps a mens basketball squad or two being a net giver)...am I mistaken?

How many players on average are on a NCAA football squad...70? 80?  How many, on average, are receiving a scholarship?

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

For FBS schools the limit is 85 full scholarships, for FCS schools it is 63 scholarships which can be split among up to 85 students.  For Division II the limit is 36 scholarships which can be split as much as the school wants.

Football, basketball, and rarely baseball are the sports that sometimes are net revenue generators.  But even in Division I, most teams are not net revenue makers unless one assumes alumni contributions are driven by sports results.

Incidentally, mutlisport athletes that do football or basketball are always counted toward the limits on the numbers of scholarship athletes for those sports and never their second sport.  With other NCAA sports you can mix and match freely up to the limits of scholarships for each sport.  For example someone who was on both the tennis and wrestling teams and who received a half scholarship could have their scholarship credited to any mixture of the two sports.  But someone who played both football and wrestling would always have their scholarship count against football.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:32:44 PM »

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

For FBS schools the limit is 85 full scholarships, for FCS schools it is 63 scholarships which can be split among up to 85 students.  For Division II the limit is 36 scholarships which can be split as much as the school wants.

Football, basketball, and rarely baseball are the sports that sometimes are net revenue generators.  But even in Division I, most teams are not net revenue makers unless one assumes alumni contributions are driven by sports results.

Incidentally, mutlisport athletes that do football or basketball are always counted toward the limits on the numbers of scholarship athletes for those sports and never their second sport.  With other NCAA sports you can mix and match freely up to the limits of scholarships for each sport.  For example someone who was on both the tennis and wrestling teams and who received a half scholarship could have their scholarship credited to any mixture of the two sports.  But someone who played both football and wrestling would always have their scholarship count against football.

You can thank Bear Bryant (and plenty of others, I'm sure) for that. Alabama's "swimming team" existing solely to give scholarships to extra football players.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »

Weren't the Green Bay Packers the only unionized team in all of American football prior to this announcement?

No, they were the only publicly owned team, and still are.  The big four team sports are all unionized.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies