Would you rather read The Obamanation's posting history or "Finnegans Wake"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:13:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather read The Obamanation's posting history or "Finnegans Wake"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you rather read The Obamanation's posting history or "Finnegans Wake"?
The Obamanation's posting history

Finnegans Wake

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Would you rather read The Obamanation's posting history or "Finnegans Wake"?  (Read 2246 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »

Finnegans Wake might be the single worst book of all time. Nothing but unintelligible gibberish. Yes I'd take even The Obamanation's posting history instead.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:33 PM »

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2014, 08:15:11 PM by Welcome to Costco. I Love You. »

So I guess it looks like I'm the new joke of the Atlas. Must have been that one comment that gave this reputation to me.

Even I have a hard time with my posting history, but I'll pick it if the book is anything like the exert posted in the delgue.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »

Finnegan's Wake is a book with a continuing plotline, I would be very confused reading Obamanation's posting history with no context, it would be very confusing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

Finnegan's Wake is a book with a continuing plotline, I would be very confused reading Obamanation's posting history with no context, it would be very confusing.

That doesn't change that the Twilight series has more literary value than Finnegans Wake.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »

Yeah, I'd rather read this:

Why do liberals claim Nixon but not this guy? He's probably to the left of Obama.

At least that makes me laugh, even if for the wrong reasons.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »

Finnegans Wake might be the single worst book of all time. Nothing but unintelligible gibberish. Yes I'd take even The Obamanation's posting history instead.

What about anything by Ayn Rand?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »

What about anything by Ayn Rand?

Tough call. Rand's crap was also rather dense (see the fact she needs to include a 70 page monologue) in addition to essentially advocating sociopathy.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

That doesn't change that the Twilight series has more literary value than Finnegans Wake.

Hey everyone is entitled to there opinion but I am curious, what 'literature' do you like?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »

Finnegans Wake has moments of great humor and exquisite wordplay even if the plot is perhaps too hermetic for anyone but the most devoted literature professors to understand.  I would legitimately like to read it someday.

Also, it gave the English language "quark" and at least a few other things I can't remember right now.  So don't hate, appreciate.

It's like, who was the worse musician, Arnold Schoenberg or Alvin & the Chipmunks?  The Chipmunks are obviously objectively worse even if they're easier for everyone to understand.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 10:17:58 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

Hey everyone is entitled to there opinion but I am curious, what 'literature' do you like?

Most books I read are "scene", seriously. Things like compilations of zine articles from certain scenes and eras, or journal compilations of the same style, stuff like that. Sometimes it's actually fictionalized though but with the plot sort of being the same, stuff happening in the scene. Or compilations of essays and social commentary from people involved in it.

Otherwise I'm actually bigger on short stories. I've only read like one Stephen King book the whole through (The Gunslinger) but I like all his short story compilations I've read. The last full length novels I read were all the Ingress tie-in novels.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2014, 10:24:01 PM by Welcome to Costco. I Love You. »

Also, I'm surprised some of my posts aren't in the Goldmine, a lot of times I try to get in but never do. My post in the Nick Cannon thread is certainly funny enough.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »

Most books I read are "scene", seriously. Things like compilations of zine articles from certain scenes and eras, or journal compilations of the same style, stuff like that. Sometimes it's actually fictionalized though but with the plot sort of being the same, stuff happening in the scene. Or compilations of essays and social commentary from people involved in it.

Otherwise I'm actually bigger on short stories. I've only read like one Stephen King book the whole through (The Gunslinger) but I like all his short story compilations I've read.

So you basically lack the attention span to actually read a serious work anyway? Can't say I don't have the same problem these days but I wouldn't exactly take book recommendations from you with that attitude.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »

Finnegan's Wake is a book with a continuing plotline

Actually that's not true.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

Otherwise I'm actually bigger on short stories. I've only read like one Stephen King book the whole through (The Gunslinger) but I like all his short story compilations I've read.

So you basically lack the attention span to actually read a serious work anyway? Can't say I don't have the same problem these days but I wouldn't exactly take book recommendations from you with that attitude.

I don't see how what I mentioned is not "serious", even if it's not War & Peace it's certainly more serious than say Twilight.

Also as explained in my edit I read the Ingress tie-in novels:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Alignment-Ingress-Thomas-Greanias-ebook/dp/B00C4W5NVI
http://www.amazon.com/The-Niantic-Project-Felicia-Hajra-Lee-ebook/dp/B00CTSZQ9Q
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »

Also, I'm surprised some of my posts aren't in the Goldmine, a lot of times I try to get in but never do. My post in the Nick Canon thread is certainly funny enough.

This Quote?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
If wasn't for the fact it's completely ridiculous, I might have thought it true.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:28:53 PM »

I don't see how what I mentioned is not "serious", even if it's not War & Peace it's certainly more serious than say Twilight.

Also as explained in my edit I read the Ingress tie-in novels:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Alignment-Ingress-Thomas-Greanias-ebook/dp/B00C4W5NVI
http://www.amazon.com/The-Niantic-Project-Felicia-Hajra-Lee-ebook/dp/B00CTSZQ9Q

So what is this A choose your own adventure book for those with a Peter Pan syndrome?
 Whatever floats your boat -seems popcorn fare.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

Finnegans Wake has moments of great humor and exquisite wordplay even if the plot is perhaps too hermetic for anyone but the most devoted literature professors to understand.  I would legitimately like to read it someday.

Also, it gave the English language "quark" and at least a few other things I can't remember right now.  So don't hate, appreciate.

It's like, who was the worse musician, Arnold Schoenberg or Alvin & the Chipmunks?  The Chipmunks are obviously objectively worse even if they're easier for everyone to understand.

Come to think of it, you just gave me a good analogy, trying to read Finnegans Wake is an undecipherable to me as most people would find emoviolence music. Tongue

Trying to figure out that excerpt I posted is what most people would consider equivalent to hearing this.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 11:41:16 PM »

I did a little bit of research on Finnegans Wake.  From my understanding, the author's purpose was to write something that, in essence, mocks the English language.  It was meant to be a big joke.  Joyce spent the last two years of his life correcting the typos he made and died before he was able to complete it, but most editions of the book are published with the typos left intact.  Why?  Because it challenges the reader.  Because it amuses people.

I've never read the book, obviously, and it's not really something that piques my interest, but to call something "the single worst book of all time" without attempting to understand the author's intentions, to me, is just laziness.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »

As somebody who's attempted to read Finnegans Wake, given up for lack of emotional energy, and would like to start again some day, yes it is. Or at the very least there's a rough consensus on the cast of characters.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »

It's bizarre seeing The Obamanation interact with NewYorkExpress.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 07:32:09 PM »

Finnegans Wake is a great song by the Dubliners, though.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 08:45:41 PM »

Neither Meyer nor Joyce won the Nobel Prize, so they've got that in common?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:32 PM »

Well one thing Leonardo DiCaprio and me have in common is that neither of us has an Oscar.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

I haven't won a Nobel Prize for my posting history either, so I guess all three of us have that in common.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies