College kids try to name one U.S. Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:53:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College kids try to name one U.S. Senator
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College kids try to name one U.S. Senator  (Read 1346 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKaYnHlpD9M

One girl gets it right. I know liberals always defend them and say "they edit it!" but it still doesn't take away from the sadness of the intelligence of youth in America.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »

One girl gets it right. I know liberals always defend them and say "they edit it!" but it still doesn't take away from the sadness of the intelligence of youth in America.

I doubt than results would have been different in your beloved 80's.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »

I'm sure they would have. When my mother was a teenager her high school class made an assignment out of watching "The Day After" on ABC in November 1983. I'm sure they knew who the Soviet Union was, who George Bush was, who the first lady was. Don't defend stupid.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:37:05 AM »

I'm sure they would have. When my mother was a teenager her high school class made an assignment out of watching "The Day After" on ABC in November 1983. I'm sure they knew who the Soviet Union was, who George Bush was, who the first lady was. Don't defend stupid.

Asking the name of a senator is much more difficult than knowing the VP and the first lady. I mean, here, most people can't name their MP, I doubt it would quite different in USA. Go ask adults in they town about Senators, won't be pretty either.

I'm not defending stupid, I'm saying it's not worse than before.

And, today, you wouldn't see a movie like "The Day After" in school. Some people will complain it's ideological and complain than the school endoctrinates teens or make them do nightmares.

Leave teaching to the teachers, not politicians and especially not parents.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 12:39:09 AM »

Things to consider:
a) Most people probably would have forgotten more minute details by the time they went to college.
b) Most people already know who the Prez and VP are.
c) A random sample of one US college campus does not equate to a nationwide sample of America's youth.
d) There's nothing to show that this sample would be any different from a sample of the general populus.
And e) Despite what people think, I don't think all of the kids that got interviewed were liberals. There were probably at least a few conservatives in there, too.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »

Things to consider:
a) Most people probably would have forgotten more minute details by the time they went to college.
b) Most people already know who the Prez and VP are.
c) A random sample of one US college campus does not equate to a nationwide sample of America's youth.
d) There's nothing to show that this sample would be any different from a sample of the general populus.
And e) Despite what people think, I don't think all of the kids that got interviewed were liberals. There were probably at least a few conservatives in there, too.

Most of them didn't seem to care.  Two of them said they stay out of politics.

But let's slap labels on people, anyway.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:55 AM »

Sad, but the guy doesn't have to be such a douche about it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:54 AM »

Holy crap... I know the interviewer...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »

At least everyone knew the song from the movie "Frozen" ... Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:51:25 AM »

You're sounding verly much like your fictionalized self from "Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie":

Naso: Thank you Jim.

Education.

I believe we face an education crisis in America today.  When my mother was in high school, she was one of the so-called "popular" girls in school, and even dated a star football player.  However, she knew who Reagan and Bush were, and even what the Soviet Union and Communism were.  She knew of television programs such as The Dukes of Hazard and Dallas.  Does the present generation even know why we celebrate the 4th of July, or who shot J.R.?

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »

Let it go.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

Mr Naso please explain how knowledge of the identity of a U.S. Senator has any bearing on the lives of any of these people to such an extent that it would be insufficient for them to google the info whenever they happened to need it

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

College students in "most college students are not Atlas posters" shocker.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »

What is your solution to this pressing national problem, Naso?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »

Mr Naso please explain how knowledge of the identity of a U.S. Senator has any bearing on the lives of any of these people to such an extent that it would be insufficient for them to google the info whenever they happened to need it

This is a fairly relevant comment. The media gives congressional activities a huge amount of press, but that's mostly because its the common denominator for their national audience. In reality far more legislation that affects day-to-day life happens in the states, not DC, and in many locations more decisions that would affect a household happen locally compared to the state. It would probably do the students more to know their mayor than their US Senator.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2014, 08:38:40 PM by King »

There was a guy who knew Nancy Pelosi was in the House, even if he didn't know a Senator.

Also, you can tell there was editing tricks because there were two people (one at the middle and one at the end) he cut to in this where he just drops a little one-liner but he never actually showed those two answering any of the questions.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »

It's American University, it is foolish to expect much.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »

How can you seriously think that college students are any different than regular American results in this regard?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 11:48:35 PM »

LOLZ because it's AU but really this is just badly edited hackery
Joshgreen
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »
« Edited: April 01, 2014, 02:57:34 PM by Joshgreen »

You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder. Were you wronged as a youngster?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »

I am in a state of disbelief.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 04:56:04 AM »

You seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder. Were you wronged as a youngster?

Absolutely. I'm the guy who my fellow students teachers and such see getting bullied and all encourage me to stand up for myself and then when I do, they act shocked and treat me like the antagonist. That's when I discovered how cowardly they are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 04:57:48 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2014, 05:00:14 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Sad, but they might have done better when Ted Kennedy and Hillary Clinton were both in the Senate.

Reminds me of this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNAWe7Xk5e4A&ei=n8hDU6XaLqSGyQG-54DoDw&usg=AFQjCNFpWZmtwf4DZ2V00avDLPEG4BfsPQ&sig2=Z3Ucg-eRpZKbTnc2otCYCQ&bvm=bv.64367178,d.aWc
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies