Two Days Later, World Vision Reverses Policy That Allowed Hiring Of Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Two Days Later, World Vision Reverses Policy That Allowed Hiring Of Gays
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Days Later, World Vision Reverses Policy That Allowed Hiring Of Gays  (Read 413 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:33:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NPR

Now, let this sink in: WV announced its policy change with the expectation that more people would donate if they took on a more tolerant stance.  What happened instead?  Almost immediately after the change was announced, the Assemblies of God (USA) urged its one million members (three million adherents) to discontinue their support for the organization.

In other words: let a child starve because a gay man might have touched the child's food.

Another game of Holier Than Thou™ with starving children as the game pieces.

A lot of true colors were put on the display the last two days.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »

In other words: let a child starve because a gay man might have touched the child's food.

That assumes that those donors wouldn't have donated elsewhere to other equally effective charities.  Yeah, it's not good what happened here, but being hyperbolic about it won't accomplish anything except create controversy.  Stick with their actual faults rather than pile on strawmen to inflame things more than they need be.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »

That assumes that those donors wouldn't have donated elsewhere to other equally effective charities.  Yeah, it's not good what happened here, but being hyperbolic about it won't accomplish anything except create controversy.  Stick with their actual faults rather than pile on strawmen to inflame things more than they need be.

I don't know if all of them would do that.  Would some?  Certainly, but either way, you're backing out of a commitment to feed a starving child.  According to the comments I've read, some folks have been donating for twenty years and said they cancelled their accounts once they heard the news.  Even after the policy change was reversed, they said they wouldn't donate anymore because they could no longer trust them.

At this point, I should mention that I'm not blaming World Vision for this, as angry as I am.  They saw all the big donors leave after they changed their policy, so they had to retract it.  They had no alternative, and I'm sure they realize how damaged their reputation is now both to the left and right.  But this does illustrate how out-of-touch "Christians" are.  I'm only glad I don't have to carry out the penalty when these people meet their maker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies