Attention Whoring: Decision 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:44:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Attention Whoring: Decision 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Where Should I Go?
Brandeis

Dickinson

Grinnell

Lafayette

UC Davis

UCSB

Community College

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Attention Whoring: Decision 2014  (Read 1203 times)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »

If you're double majoring in political science and history, you're wasting your [parents'] money, at least on the academic component of college. So what you derive from the whole experience is dependent on the people you meet and the relationships you cultivate. So I'd recommend one of the UC schools over community college, since you'll have more time to meet people instead of merely attending slightly glorified high school. If you commute to college, you're going to miss out on numerous opportunities.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »

It's kind of concerning that your parents are so anxious for you to stay home, considering you'll have to leave at some point.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:53 AM »

I haven't read much of this thread except for maybe three or four posts, but I can tell you from experience that this is the worst place to get education advice from.  I got like, two people who actually helped me pick a college while the rest beat me over the major I'm considering.  It's not worth it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »

Let's back up for a second here Mung Beans. What's the money situation like at each of these schools? How much are your parents paying for?

You're going for an arts degree, which isn't the most employable option. That's fine and I'm not going to try and talk you out of it, but you need to consider your situation in four years. I'm coming up on graduation right now and there is a huge difference between the students with little/no debt and the ones owing $50k.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2014, 12:18:28 AM »

Let's back up for a second here Mung Beans. What's the money situation like at each of these schools? How much are your parents paying for?

You're going for an arts degree, which isn't the most employable option. That's fine and I'm not going to try and talk you out of it, but you need to consider your situation in four years. I'm coming up on graduation right now and there is a huge difference between the students with little/no debt and the ones owing $50k.

Thanks to fairly generous financial aid, the costs of both the privates and the publics are about the same in monetary terms. I agree that my arts disagree isn't very employable which is why I'm looking to get into the best graduate school possible.

Well, I have one day left and the decision remains uncertain: my parents have moved towards wanting me to go to UCSB while Brandeis remains my top choice.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »

Go to whichever of the UC schools has a better reputation.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »

Thanks to fairly generous financial aid, the costs of both the privates and the publics are about the same in monetary terms. I agree that my arts disagree isn't very employable which is why I'm looking to get into the best graduate school possible.

Well, I have one day left and the decision remains uncertain: my parents have moved towards wanting me to go to UCSB while Brandeis remains my top choice.

Have you been out to visit Waltham?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »

No unfortunately. While I agree Waltham is just a suburb, Boston appears to be easily accessible via public transportation
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:26 AM »

No unfortunately. While I agree Waltham is just a suburb, Boston appears to be easily accessible via public transportation

I commuted from Waltham to Boston for work and to Cambridge for school so I agree it's decent for public transit (unless you're out late).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »

If you can afford it, I would recommend going as far away from your parents as possible. Better to get used to living on your own at a younger age than not and then having to figure out everything later on.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32:48 AM »

If you can afford it, I would recommend going as far away from your parents as possible. Better to get used to living on your own at a younger age than not and then having to figure out everything later on.

Also, if you can, choose a trade school. Disregard women, acquire skillz.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »

It's Brandeis.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp