The Democrat wins in 2016 (but Republicans keep the House), what does s/he do?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:43:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Democrat wins in 2016 (but Republicans keep the House), what does s/he do?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Democrat wins in 2016 (but Republicans keep the House), what does s/he do?  (Read 1740 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »

Say the Republicans hold onto the House through at least 2018 (which seems fairly likely), but a Democratic candidate wins the presidency in 2016. The Senate is close enough in party control that it doesn't provide an impediment either way.

What kind of legislation could actually pass? And what else would the two parties seek to accomplish?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »

I think it'd be more of the same, except for possibly immigration reform.

I highly doubt a GOP House would allow such reforms. Why? Because Republicans wouldn't be able to take credit for it. Instead, it would become a signature achievement of said Democratic President.

That is why I don't believe Republicans would do immigration reform unless they control the Presidency, because then it wouldn't be theirs. I don't know why people would attribute it to a GOP House, outside of small political circles such as the Atlas.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »

I would expect Hillary to be Republican-lite like her husband was.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:25 AM »

I'd hope that he/she pulls a game-changer, loads essential personnel onto a fleet of buses and begins living/working on the road - and solely in Republican CDs. He or she should explain the benefits/cost savings of doing so via technological efficiency, and spend every single day putting the balls of the Republican Party in a vice-grip on their home turf. They should prove to red-blooded Americans once again that the Democratic Party cares about their interests, is willing to make the office of President accessible to the people and tear each and every one of these Republican obstructionists a new one right in front of their home congressional offices multiple times per year. They should work these media markets for micro-targeted attention to pressing local and state issues, and prove to these constituents that the Republican Party doesn't give a damn about them.

In essence, go into full-time campaigning, revive the 50 state strategy and turn the office of President into a hyper-mobile and active political force that no one else in this country can match. Slaughter them.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »

The Senate is close enough in party control that it doesn't provide an impediment either way.

If the Senate is close in party control, you better believe that it's providing an impediment every which way. Tongue
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »

I'd hope that he/she pulls a game-changer, loads essential personnel onto a fleet of buses and begins living/working on the road - and solely in Republican CDs. He or she should explain the benefits/cost savings of doing so via technological efficiency, and spend every single day putting the balls of the Republican Party in a vice-grip on their home turf. They should prove to red-blooded Americans once again that the Democratic Party cares about their interests, is willing to make the office of President accessible to the people and tear each and every one of these Republican obstructionists a new one right in front of their home congressional offices multiple times per year. They should work these media markets for micro-targeted attention to pressing local and state issues, and prove to these constituents that the Republican Party doesn't give a damn about them.

In essence, go into full-time campaigning, revive the 50 state strategy and turn the office of President into a hyper-mobile and active political force that no one else in this country can match. Slaughter them.

Couldn't the Republicans do the same, go into the inner cities, majority black areas and do the same thing? Look what the Democrats have done for you over 70 years?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »

Blks are against anti-Wallstreet at this point. Mitt Romney or a Jeb candidacy(because of Dubya) very much reminded them of that. Blks slipped further into poverty. Blks will enthusiastically support any Dem because of the min wage issue, despite being in poverty under Democrat prez Obama.

I hope that a united Dem Congress happens in 2016, but ifit doesn't we will make do and pass small reforms in entitlements and closing tax loopholes for corporations.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

Couldn't the Republicans do the same, go into the inner cities, majority black areas and do the same thing? Look what the Democrats have done for you over 70 years?

Sounds like a much healthier political system then we have now.

Anyway, I agree with what everyone has said thus far, which is pretty depressing to me (since I personally think that this is the most likely scenario in 2016).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »

They could try, but I doubt it'd be anywhere as effective, for a number of reasons.

For starters, black people just don't like Republicans - I think that's painfully obvious. They'd be better advised to focus on majority-Latino areas. There's also the whole issue that there's only one President (exclusivity), and members of Congress have jobs that require their presence. AFAIK, they can't "vote from the road", whereas the President can. If they wanted to fly back and forth every weekend to their home districts and spend a couple of days each week doing this, then sure, but it's not going to get the kind of media attention that a President would for doing so, considering that Republicans at that point would just be doing their jobs. The only other option is to hire nobodies to try to organize these efforts and convince individuals in urban/Democratic areas to abandon their party, which again, is substantially no different than typical GOTV/organizing/campaigning.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »

Majority of minorities don't trust the GOP for obvious reasons, they also don't trust the Dems either.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »

Majority of minorities don't trust the GOP for obvious reasons, they also don't trust the Dems either.

That's because bailouts and tax cuts to millionaires mean the same to them. Unlike whites who distinguishes them.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »

OC, whose that cartoon character dancing in this thread ?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies