controversial opinion: anyone think that the beatles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  controversial opinion: anyone think that the beatles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: controversial opinion: anyone think that the beatles  (Read 4126 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »

I applaud BRTD for his attack on the cult of the Beatles.

Ringo Starr > Grimes

Which Grimes, though?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 07:10:27 AM »

Though to be fair, their latter albums are pretty good.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2014, 03:17:11 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

The Beatles only have a couple good songs anyway, and they're all from the later albums.

So says the most blatent worshipper of hipster music scenes who is far too alternative to enjoy pop, and consequently listens to utter drek.

No I'm not exactly a fan of Ke$ha or Justin Bieber.

But seriously this is "hipster dreck"? (Last band I saw, and saw them twice, once in a suburb.)
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:31 PM »

The Beatles only have a couple good songs anyway, and they're all from the later albums.

So says the most blatent worshipper of hipster music scenes who is far too alternative to enjoy pop, and consequently listens to utter drek.

But seriously this is "hipster dreck"? (Last band I saw, and saw them twice, once in a suburb.)
I'll bite.

Why are most of the Beatle's songs "dreck" or whatever?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »

I'll bite.

It's not like Ke$ha or Justin Bieber. I just find the early stuff pretty boring and far too polished.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »

I'll bite.

It's not like Ke$ha or Justin Bieber. I just find the early stuff pretty boring and far too polished.
I never said anything about Ke$ha or Bieber, so thanks for dodging the question, and boring?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »

Again,

It's like the Scientologists. One word of minor criticism of The Beatles and you must be purged.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »

Again,

It's like the Scientologists. One word of minor criticism of The Beatles and you must be purged.
It'd be helpful if he explained why.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2014, 03:56:30 PM by a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing »

I'll bite.

I never said anything about Ke$ha or Bieber, so thanks for dodging the question, and boring?

OK comparison:

This is an early Beatles song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlr4g5-r18

Very formulaic, simplistic, repetitive and quite polished. Not exactly a terrible song but it's kind of just background sounds to me.

Now this is considered one of the best songs of all time in my whole niche: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS5Fo9j7BA

Far more complex, innovative, raw and unpolished. Note that it has no traditional song structures AT ALL, it'd be a stretch to call anything in that a verse, much less including a chorus. Here's an even better example, even if from a less well known and influential band.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »

It's worth noting that The Beatles song that BRTD posted is a cover.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »

I actually didn't know that.

However I was considering using either that or this one, which I'd say the same applies to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHkgwA8t-g
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

I actually didn't know that.

However I was considering using either that or this one, which I'd say the same applies to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MHkgwA8t-g

I don't find that at all polished or simplistic - at least not if I'm really paying attention when I listen to it. 

I do really like that Portraits of the Past song between about 0:10 and 0:35.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »

Again,

It's a HUGE jump between criticizing some albums or songs (I'll readily admit that Yellow Submarine has a good title track, inspired a decent for the times animated film, and is otherwise a waste of vinyl), to claiming they only "wrote a couple good songs on their later albums". The latter is about as close to factually incorrect as any music opinion can get. The Beatles aren't even necessarily one of my favorite bands, but one would have to be blind deaf and dumb to music history to miss their artistic impact.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »

Yes, actually, that's about the definition of hipster. I can picture a crowd full of dudes with their ironic beards (neckbeards or otherwise) and wearing knit-wool caps in August. Though not total drek at least I'll grant.

But hipster? Yeah, the fact you pointed out you once saw them "in a suburb" speaks volumes.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »

Again,

It's a HUGE jump between criticizing some albums or songs (I'll readily admit that Yellow Submarine has a good title track, inspired a decent for the times animated film, and is otherwise a waste of vinyl), to claiming they only "wrote a couple good songs on their later albums". The latter is about as close to factually incorrect as any music opinion can get. The Beatles aren't even necessarily one of my favorite bands, but one would have to be blind deaf and dumb to music history to miss their artistic impact.

Yellow Submarine wasn't a proper album release anyway. It was a soundtrack for the film cobbled together mostly from songs that were already on other older albums (the title track first appeared on the far superior Revolver for instance). There were a couple of a new songs on it though.

I really like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oes9_poAIg

And this one (which actually didn't even end up being used in the original version of the film):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsH4MGtJIVA
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 08:01:07 PM by traininthedistance »

Yes, actually, that's about the definition of hipster. I can picture a crowd full of dudes with their ironic beards (neckbeards or otherwise) and wearing knit-wool caps in August. Though not total drek at least I'll grant.

But hipster? Yeah, the fact you pointed out you once saw them "in a suburb" speaks volumes.

I'm reasonably confident that your typical hipster would rather listen to the Beatles than... whatever it is that BRTD listens to.  They might be affected and pretentious but they're not deaf. Tongue

Also, the best Beatles album was Magical Mystery Tour. (Well, maybe the best album as a cohesive whole was Abbey Road but MMT has the best songs.)  And I'm honestly not sure whether holding this opinion makes me a hipster or a not-hipster.  Lean not?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 08:01:41 PM by All and All is All We Are »

I think that they should probably have skipped Yellow Submarine altogether (now) and just put the new songs on Past Masters 2(A collection of non-album singles), but I don't know if there was enough room. They could have the single version of Let it Be, You Know My Name, and the World Wildlife Fund version of Across the Universe on Let it Be's remaster to make room.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:25 PM »

Mmmmm no. Instead picture a bunch of people in hoodies jumping around and crowdsurfing. AKA standard hardcore kids, not hipsters. Also it being in a suburb is notable, what type of hipster would ever go to a show in a suburb? Believe me even I was upset about it. FYI you could argue that BOTH times were in suburbs, but I wouldn't consider Moorhead a suburb, it's a twin city to Fargo just like St. Paul is to here.

I'm reasonably confident that your typical hipster would rather listen to the Beatles than... whatever it is that BRTD listens to.  They might be affected and pretentious but they're not deaf. Tongue

You seem to be making the rather common mistake that what I was listen to is exclusively or even mostly like emoviolence. Like see the video above. Per last.fm these are my ten most listened to bands:

Rainer Maria
The Appleseed Cast
The Wonder Years
Superchunk
Fireworks
Mineral
mewithoutYou
The Hated
Neshamah
Lifetime

Now except for Neshamah and early mewithoutYou, none of those bands ever go over a 7 on TV Tropes Rock and Metal Hardness scale (for those unfamiliar with it, a 7 is about where the median Nirvana song would sit.) I suppose there's The Hated's early stuff but hardly anyone listens to that including myself. Rainer Maria, The Appleseed Cast and Mineral probably don't ever go above even a 5, meaning the Beatles have "harder" songs than they do.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

The later albums are generally better, yes. But I'd say even the early ones hold their own against most albums by other artists. With The Beatles is the weakest, imo, while Beatles for Sale is underrated. Help on the other hand is amazing and A Hard Day's Night is pure own material, which is generally what makes the difference on those albums.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »

The people who hold this opinion are generally too cool to like pop music.

Pretty much this
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »

quote author=a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing link=topic=189965.msg4121273#msg4121273 date=1396922665]

Mmmmm no. Instead picture a bunch of people in hoodies jumping around and crowdsurfing. AKA standard hardcore kids, not hipsters. Also it being in a suburb is notable, what type of hipster would ever go to a show in a suburb? Believe me even I was upset about it. FYI you could argue that BOTH times were in suburbs, but I wouldn't consider Moorhead a suburb, it's a twin city to Fargo just like St. Paul is to here.

I'm reasonably confident that your typical hipster would rather listen to the Beatles than... whatever it is that BRTD listens to.  They might be affected and pretentious but they're not deaf. Tongue

You seem to be making the rather common mistake that what I was listen to is exclusively or even mostly like emoviolence. Like see the video above. Per last.fm these are my ten most listened to bands:

Rainer Maria
The Appleseed Cast
The Wonder Years
Superchunk
Fireworks
Mineral
mewithoutYou
The Hated
Neshamah
Lifetime

Now except for Neshamah and early mewithoutYou, none of those bands ever go over a 7 on TV Tropes Rock and Metal Hardness scale (for those unfamiliar with it, a 7 is about where the median Nirvana song would sit.) I suppose there's The Hated's early stuff but hardly anyone listens to that including myself. Rainer Maria, The Appleseed Cast and Mineral probably don't ever go above even a 5, meaning the Beatles have "harder" songs than they do.
[/quote]

The fact you care a good goddam about whether a show is played in a suburb or not theroughly demonstrates just how much you are the voice of scene-obsessed hipsters valuing genre identification over such crass denomination as melody, tune and beat.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »

Agreed; the Beatles are overrated.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 09:10:31 AM »

That's not what I meant when I said "deaf".  Tongue

The fact you care a good goddam about whether a show is played in a suburb or not theroughly demonstrates just how much you are the voice of scene-obsessed hipsters valuing genre identification over such crass denomination as melody, tune and beat.

Uh, BRTD is nothing but the voice of himself, and maybe his sub-sub-sub-subculture.  Certainly not the voice of all "scene-obsessed hipsters"- which I don't even know what you exactly are trying to say with that phrase but I'm pretty sure the world of hipsterdom is both far, far wider than BRTD's particular scene, and mostly includes people with both far different and far better taste in music than him.

I actually don't think it's that strange to care about where a show is played, though.  If one of your favorite musical acts was performing somewhere outside of your comfort zone or in an atypical place for them, I'm sure you'd make a note of it.  I mean, you wouldn't obsess about it on Atlas, but once again: that's just BRTD being BRTD, and doesn't prove anything about anyone or anything else.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »

That's not what I meant when I said "deaf".  Tongue

Uh, BRTD is nothing but the voice of himself, and maybe his sub-sub-sub-subculture.  Certainly not the voice of all "scene-obsessed hipsters"- which I don't even know what you exactly are trying to say with that phrase but I'm pretty sure the world of hipsterdom is both far, far wider than BRTD's particular scene, and mostly includes people with both far different and far better taste in music than him.

I actually don't think it's that strange to care about where a show is played, though.  If one of your favorite musical acts was performing somewhere outside of your comfort zone or in an atypical place for them, I'm sure you'd make a note of it.  I mean, you wouldn't obsess about it on Atlas, but once again: that's just BRTD being BRTD, and doesn't prove anything about anyone or anything else.

Well put (other than defending BRTD's musical suburbphobia), but that was my point. It's BRTD's hipster ethos speaking, and thus demonstrates his assessment of the Beatles is, unsurprisingly, utter drek.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies