2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:42:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154211 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: August 18, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »

Congratulations, NHI, you did a very nice work here! The Election night was very entertaining to read and the outcome was fair Smiley
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1476 on: August 18, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

Here's how the game will continue (and comments/suggestions are appreciated too)

1. I will announce three more rounds, that will highlight the Giuliani Presidency in years: 2005, 2006 and (partial 2007).

2. The election signups will begin before the third round.

3. 2007 will include up until 2007, which is when the 2008 Election Part will commence.

4. Midterm Results will be posted in the Round including yr. 2006.

-- NHI

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1477 on: August 18, 2014, 06:04:09 PM »

Do the rest of us outside the Giuliani administration really have to do anything for the next three rounds, or are we just in the sidelines until signups?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1478 on: August 18, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

Do the rest of us outside the Giuliani administration really have to do anything for the next three rounds, or are we just in the sidelines until signups?

If you plan on running in '08, I think it'd be wise to stay in the media spotlight over the course of the administration. I'd assume that you all respond to events, attack me, support me, or whatnot. But it's up to NHI.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1479 on: August 18, 2014, 06:13:50 PM »

If you plan on running in '08, I think it'd be wise to stay in the media spotlight over the course of the administration. I'd assume that you all respond to events, attack me, support me, or whatnot. But it's up to NHI.

I think staying active until signups begin. Press release, appearances on TV shows etc.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1480 on: August 18, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »

I'm thinking after Biden's concession speech I will begin Round 1: 2005: Giuliani's First Year.
Round will last for 5 days.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1481 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »

The Republican National Committee

Building a Lasting Majority

President-Elect Giuliani's historic victory in the 2004 presidential election is a major accomplishment. Republicans rallied behind a strong, visionary leader to elect a man who ready to keep our country safe and strengthen our country.

The RNC is proud to announced a new project, funded by former Giuliani contributors, designed to make the Republican Party competitive in every state. The American Majority Project will raise funds to engage in recruitment, outreach, and permanent year-round engagement. The RNC will also use this as a vehicle to support the President's agenda in the next four years.

The project is currently using the Giuliani 2004 database of donors, volunteers, and supporters to lay the groundwork for a permanent, ongoing operation. The first phase of the project is opening a new field office in the largest city of every state. An additional two offices will be opened in California and New York each.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1482 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:27 PM »

Can you post a list of Senators/Governors who were (re)elected IG but not IRL?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1483 on: August 18, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »

Johnson Concession Speech:

Thank you! Tonight we have changed history! We won four states and third place while running as an independent! From starting out in the polls at a mere three percent! Together we have furthered the cause of Liberty! We must be ever vigilant, working to elect those who support our cause, be they Democrat, Republican, Independent, or any other party! We have set a precedent for an independent voice in these elections, so let us continue our fight!

I want to also thank all of my campaign staff, the volunteers, and everyone who came out and voted for liberty. Without them I could have never gotten this far. This fight for Liberty doesn't stop here, we must be watching those who represent us, and the bills that come before them. Your voice calling in is a massive help to further Liberty! Let us continue to make a difference, so we can LIVE FREE!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1484 on: August 18, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 11:04:44 PM by NHI »

Can you post a list of Senators/Governors who were (re)elected IG but not IRL?

2004 Senate Results:
53-46 (1 Independent)
AL: Shelby: 68%-32%
AK: Murkowski: (46.4% Knowles: 45.9% Scott Kohlhaas: 3.4% Other: 4.3%)
AZ: McCain: 68%-25% Libertarian: 4% Green: 2%
AR: Lincoln: 51% Holt: 48%
CA: Boxer: 49% Jones: 33% L: 5.8% G: 3.5%
CO: Salazar: 49% Coors: 45% L: 4% O: 2%
CT: Dodd: 63% Orchuli: 36% L: 1%
FL: Martinez: 47.3% Castor: 46.9% G: 3.3% L: 1.9% (R GAIN)
GA: Isakson: 51% Majette: 45% L: 4%  (R GAIN)
HI: Inouye: 65% Cavasso: 29% L: 4.4% O: 1.6%
ID: Mike Crapo: 100%
IL: Obama: 51% Oberweis: 44% L: 3% G: 2%  (D GAIN)
IN: Bayh: 60% Scott: 36% L: 4%
IA: Grassley: 69% Small: 21% L: 5% G: 4%
KS: Brownback: 62% Jones: 33% L: 4% G: 1%
KY: Mongiardo: 49.3% Bunning: 48.9% O: 1.8% (D-GAIN)
LA: Vitter: 51% John: 29% ---- (R GAIN
MD: Mikulski: 58% Pipkin: 37%  G: 3% L: 1.5%
MO: Bond: 51% Farmer: 46% L: 2% O: 1%
NV: Reid: 59% Ziser: 33% L: 6% G: 3%
NH: Gregg: 64% Haddock: 27% L: 7% G: 2%
NY: Schumer: 62% Mills: 30% G: 5% O: 3%
NC: Bowles: 50% Burr: 48% L: 2% (D GAIN)
ND: Byron Dorgan: 58% Liffrig: 39% O: 3%
OH: Voinovich: 60% Fingerhut: 31% L: 4% G: 5%
OK: Coburn: 59% Carson: 41%
OR: Wyden: 55% King: 33% G: 7% L: 4%
PA: Specter: 50% Hoeffel: 43% L: 4% G: 3%
SC: DeMint: 53% Tenebaum: 45% L: 1% G: 0.5% (R-GAIN)
SD: Thune: 49.9% Daschle: 49.6% L: 0.5%  (R-GAIN)
UT: Bennett: 69% Dem: 26% L: 4% O: 1%
VT: Leahy: 60% McMullen: 28% G: 11% O: 1%
WA: Murray: 50% Nethercutt: 43% L: 5% G: 2%
WI: Feingold: 51% Michels: 45% L: 3% O: 1%

2004 Governors Race:
30-21
DE: Minner: 49% Lee: 43% L: 5% G: 3%
IN: Daniels: 51% Davis: 46% L: 3% (R-GAIN)
MO: Blunt: 48% McCaskill: 47% L: 5% (R-GAIN)
MT: Schweitzer: 45% Brown: 42% L: 12% (D-GAIN)
NH: Lynch: 48.9% Benson: 48.6% (D-GAIN)
NC: Easley: 51% Ballantine: 43% L: 5%
ND: Hoeven: 55% Satrom: 34% L: 12%
UT: Huntsman: 48.0% Matheson: 47.0% L: 5% (R-GAIN)
VT: Douglas: 51% Clavelle: 33% G: 16%
WA: Rossi: 44.9% Gregoire: 44.5% G: 7.7% L: 2.9% (R-GAIN)
WV: Manchin: 57% Warner: 40% O: 3%

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1485 on: August 18, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »

OOC: What about Missouri's Gubernatorial? Smiley
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1486 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »

DeMint - Clark is 'unacceptable'

Vice President Giuliani's cabinet appointments weren't met with much opposition from his own party, with a notable exception for Wesley Clark. Clark, a Democrat, was attacked by Senator-elect Jim DeMint for being weak on national security. Backed by Senators Rick Santorum,  Conrad Burns, Jim Inhofe, and Senator-elect Tom Coburn, they demanded that the administration represent a consistent vision and strong vision on foreign policy. Other foreign policy hawks backed the Presidents pick, though rather unenthusiastically, like Senator George Allen, who remarked to an unknown aide that "The President gets his pick, and we let him pick." Even with his lack of experience in the Senate, DeMint is already looking to be a leader among the conservative wing.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1487 on: August 18, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »

Gary Johnson Statement:

Gary Johnson would like to formally thank President-Elect Giuliani for the nomination of Secretary of Commerce.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1488 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »

Are we able to be one more than one person during this period? I have some things I'd like to do with Kucinich for the next few years, but I don't think I want to run as him again and I'm undecided on who to be in 2008.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1489 on: August 18, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »

Nov. 3; 3:13am

Thank you! Wow, well the cookie has crumbled. All of you, across this country who voted, you made this election a true blue success by participating. Now, I know, a lot of you here tonight are disappointed. Me too.

But I don't intend to retreat inside a Hobbit hole. I am still a member of the United States Senate.

You may remember, that President-elect Giuliani spent the majority of this campaign calling for national unity and touting his willingness to work with anyone to get things done for the people of America. I intend to hold him to that commitment as the Senator from Delaware. In the coming year, I will introduce every proposal of this campaign into the Senate, and my colleagues from both sides of the aisle in the House will introduce and pass similar bills.

The voters may not have chosen me as the next President, but we will still raise the minimum wage and put workers and small businesses first. We will make college and healthcare affordable for everyone by implementing the golden rule. And I will not give up on our troops until the administration will provide the American people with a clear and concise timeline for this quagmire.

I trust that the President-elect is eager to get to work for this country, and I call on every one of my supporters to give him your good faith and support when he takes office next year. There is work to be done, and everybody who volunteered on this campaign and helped us reach millions of voters has the skills to mobilize their community, mobilize their neighborhood, and engage their neighbors in our democracy. The work you did on behalf of this campaign not only won us states no pundits dreamed we'd win, but expanded the electorate so that no President will ever be elected without a full hearing from the American people. I am so proud of you, of you all. Bless each and every one of you, and may he guide and protect our new President. Good night. Get some sleep.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1490 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »

Are we able to be one more than one person during this period? I have some things I'd like to do with Kucinich for the next few years, but I don't think I want to run as him again and I'm undecided on who to be in 2008.
On a similar note, can I control Ventura as well as Johnson?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1491 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:49 PM »

On a similar note, can I control Ventura as well as Johnson?
Yes and yes.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1492 on: August 18, 2014, 11:51:22 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 12:03:18 AM by badgate »

Statement from the office of Senator Joe Biden
Dec. 19, 2004

With the final announcement of President-elect Giuliani's cabinet coming down this morning, I feel it is my duty as a public servant and fervent supporter for equal civil rights that I must express extreme concern with the racial makeup of the incoming President's cabinet. While the hispanic vote was not key to his success last November, is that really excuse enough to exclude an hispanic-american from the cabinet? Our beloved nation is not almost exclusively male; should the cabinet really be that way? The cabinet should reflect the beautiful diversity of this great country, and these important roles should be filled by a diverse variety of viewpoints. I have good faith that President-elect Giuliani will seek to rectify these oversights, but at the moment I am not confident in my support for many of these nominees.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1493 on: August 18, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »

Sandoval for AG!

(he was a judge in the 90s and IIRC Nevada's AG from 2003-2007
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1494 on: August 19, 2014, 12:14:18 AM »

Feingold Will Not Shoot Down Cabinet Nominees

Washington, D.C. - In the midst of a cabinet nomination process bound to gather some ideological ire from either side of the political spectrum, Senator Feingold (D-WI) is taking the pragmatic high road in saying that he will not vote to shoot down any of the President's proposed nominees, "despite some ideological differences the nominees and [he] may have." In response to questioning from reporters regarding the process, Feingold said, "It's only fair to allow the democratically-elected President to surround himself with his team, and this nominations process ought not be utilized as some kind of ideological playground."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1495 on: August 19, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »

Statement from the Office of the President-elect
- Press Secretary for the Giuliani Transition Team Chris Wallace -

When the President-elect released his cabinet nominees, he fully expected for feedback, and backlash, from many. Senator-elect Jim DeMint took issue with General Wesley Clark's nomination for Secretary of Homeland Security. General Clark attained the rank of 4 Star General in the United States Army, as well as Supreme Allied Commander of Europe. If this rank cleared Dwight Eisenhower to serve as President, President-elect Giuliani feels that it makes General Clark more than qualified to serve as Secretary of Homeland Security.

Senator Joe Biden took issue with the ethnic make-up of the Cabinet. The President-elect acknowledges the lack of a Hispanic or Latino, however he does not feel that this will be a problem. Numerous Hispanics and Latino Americans will be serving in other posts within the Administration - including Brian Sandoval as Deputy Attorney General and John H. Sununu as Special Adviser to the President. We have every geographic region of the nation present, therefore we feel that that all demographics can be well represented. Secretary of Energy-designate Pete Domenici has represented New Mexico, a state composed of nearly 50% Hispanics, since 1973. Secretary of Commerce-designate Gary Johnson served as Governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003. Senator Biden also claimed that the Cabinet was all male. That is simply not true. Secretary of Defense-designate Condoleeza Rice and Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao are both women who will hold key positions in the Giuliani Administration.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1496 on: August 19, 2014, 12:34:33 AM »

[JOE BIDEN begins to board Amtrak to Delaware for Christmas break]

REPORTER: "The President-elect's transition team responded to your concerns about the cabinet. What did you think of the response?"

BIDEN: "Well, he addressed my concerns, that's good at least. I am a little concerned - did you read the whole thing? Maybe his press folks just didn't read it clearly. But the statement released by my office pretty clearly did not claim that he had nominated an all-male cabinet. I have all the confidence in the world that this was an honest-to-God mistake and not an attempt to misrepresent or even lie about my statement.

I still have good faith that President-elect Giuliani meant it when he promised voters that he'd work with anyone to get things done for the American people. Knowing that my concerns have been heard, as Senator, I will do what I have always done with regard to Presidential nominees: judge them and vote on them based solely on their merits."

REPORTER: "Really?"

BIDEN: "Oh yeah. This isn't the green party, man. We don't have litmus tests. The nominees will be judged on their merits for the position at hand. Now, seriously, I love you guys. But it's Christmas. I gotta get on the train."
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1497 on: August 19, 2014, 12:45:09 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2014, 12:56:21 AM by Governor Riley Keaton »

Giuliani Defense Nominee Condoleezza Rice Appears on Fox News Sunday

Brit Hume: Up next, we have President-Elect Rudy Giuliani's nominee for the top spot at the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense. Condoleezza Rice was national security advisor to President George W. Bush and was active in ending the Cold War. She was a key foreign policy advisor to President Bush. Here she is, Ms. Rice, good morning.

Condi: Good morning, Brit. Thanks for having me.

Brit: Ms. Rice, you are being nominated to lead the Pentagon and manage our Armed Forces during a time of conflict and war. What sort of vision do you have for the Pentagon?

Condi: Well, Brit, President-Elect Giuliani outlined his stance on the War on Terror during the campaign and I agree with him completely. We must win in Iraq and Afghanistan. Retreat isn't an option. The Secretary of Defense exists to help the President accomplish what he wants to accomplish. That's what I'm going to do.

Brit: That's great, but in terms of management, what do you see changing from a Rumsfeld Pentagon to a Rice Pentagon?

Condi: Right now, the President-Elect and I are working on a plan to change the way the Defense Department purchases the materials it needs. Acquisition reform has the potential to reduce billions of dollars in waste and direct it toward winning the War on Terror.

Brit: Are you saying that Secretary Rumsfeld's Defense Department is wasteful?

Condi: Absolutely not, Brit. Anytime you manage a department the size of Defense, there will be oversight and inefficiencies. Sometimes we need to take a breather and look at how things can be improved. Transition and the First 100 Days is a perfect opportunity to do that.

Brit: Joe Biden, Senator from Delaware and failed Presidential hopeful, questioned the diversity of the President's cabinet appointments. Do you believe the President's cabinet is sufficiently diverse?

Condi: Absolutely, Brit. President-Elect Giuliani is appointing the first woman and the first African American to be Secretary of Defense. The President-Elect is appointing the only Asian-American woman to ever serve on the Cabinet. To say that his appointments are not diverse is either an ignorant claim, or intentionally misleading.

Brit: Ms. Rice, a final question on substance rather than politics, where do you see Iraq at the end of United States involvement?

Condi: I, like President Bush and President-Elect Giuliani, see Iraq a stable, peaceful, prosperous democratic partner in the Middle East. The world changed when Baghdad fell. It gave millions of people living under oppression hope. Everyday, families around the world pray and pray and pray for the time when their children will know freedom and dignity. When Saddam Hussein fell, it gave them hope that that day isn't so far away after all.

Brit: Defense Secretary-Designate Condoleezza Rice, everyone. Thank you for coming on.

Condi: It was my pleasure, Brit. Thanks for having me.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1498 on: August 19, 2014, 12:59:27 AM »

At a press conference in Cleveland, Ohio, Congressman Kucinich addressed serving his constituents in his district with more focus than ever now that the presidential election is over. "You've elected me once more to Congress, as a Green Party member now no less, and I shall do everything I can to continue to be your voice." Kucinich stated that he is "very cautious, but hopeful" that progress will be made on key issues debated in Washington, vowing that he will be a vocal player throughout the way. "I may have quite a few disagreements with President-elect Giuliani," Kucinich said, "but hopefully I'll get him to come around on some things."

Kucinich has promised that he will introduce substantial reforms on a wide array of issues in this next legislative session, stating that "the time to act is now, not later." Kucinich touched on economic, environmental, and electoral reforms as some examples of what he has in store. Kucinich also called on his former rival, Joe Biden, to work with him to get these proposals passed through both houses of Congress. "Let's put aside the campaign rhetoric and get our hands dirty together, Joe," Kucinich proclaimed. "Together we can put the pressure and come up with real solutions that Americans need right now." Kucinich would not speculate on his political future when asked by reporters, maintaining that he is fully committed to serving in Congress.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1499 on: August 19, 2014, 01:09:26 AM »

Statement from the office of Senator Joe Biden

Congressman Kucinich's proposals for America have long been in line with Senator Biden's priorities. The Senator looks forward to working closely with Congressman Kucinich to ensure a brighter future for all Americans.

Senator Biden would also like to thank the Congressman for joining him in refusing to politicize the cabinet appointments of the President-elect, as others have sought to do in recent weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies