2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:32:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154382 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »

Giuliani Interview with Larry King
Airs on CNN, July 3rd, 2005 at 7:30PM

Larry King: I'm here in the Sun Room in the Executive Residence of the White House. The 44th President of the United States, Rudy Giuliani, has invited me into his home for this interview. Mr. President, thank you.
Rudy Giuliani: Thank you, Larry.
King: Mr. President, you unveiled an ambitious plan for Iraq and Afghanistan in your State of the Union in February. Do you think that this will be successful, in the end?
Giuliani:  Oh, I hope so. (laughs) But, yes, I do. The Surge, as we've taken to calling it in the Office, will give both forces in Iraq and Afghanistan enough troops to get the job done in a timely fashion.
King: Why is the Surge necessary, though? Couldn't the initial force get the job done?
Giuliani: The extra troops are needed because of the shift in strategy. When your attacking and destroying, you want to hit hard, fast, and then leave. Now that we're using a 'Take-and-hold' method of combat extra troops are needed. These troops have special skills in construction and engineering, which are key to holding onto the territory.
King: You recently appointed Donald Rumsfeld as the Presidential Envoy to the Middle East. What's his job and why did you nominate him?
Giuliani: Don has done a lot of great work over his career. He's really excelled as Secretary of Defense and has been instrumental in the War in Iraq. To completely remove him from the situation would just be stupid. As my Envoy to the Middle East, he'll be my eyes and ears on the ground. We've set up an office for him, within the White House, and found some office space for him in Baghdad where he can monitor developments and keep me up to date. He's not replacing Secretary Rice or Lieberman, he's complimenting them.
King: Thank you, Mr. President. Ladies and gentlemen that was my discussion with President Rudy Giuliani. He'll be on Meet the Press with Tim Russert on NBC on Sunday. Thank you and good night.

Giuliani Interview with Tim Russert
Airs on NBC, July 10th, 2005

Tim Russert: Joining me now, here in Washington, is President Rudy Giuliani. Welcome to the program, Mr. President.
Rudy Giuliani: Thank you, Tim.
Russert: Mr. Giuliani, you're a friend of the program - you've been on many times in your career, but this is the first time when I can't call you Rudy. (laughs)
Giuliani: Oh yes you can. (laughs)
Russert: You're very busy, so let's get into this. Senator Jim DeMint has been very critical of your administration so far. What'd you have to say about that?
Giuliani: That's to be expected. Look, I'm not a conservative darling. I made that obvious through the campaign, Senator Allen was the more conservative one. Senator DeMint isn't happy that the White House is in the hands of a Rockefeller Republican from New York City. I think the reason he's being so critical of these commonsense solutions is that he's a new face in the Senate and wants to make a name for himself.
Russert: You're running for re-election in '08?
Giulaini: God willing, yes.
Russert: Are you worried about a primary challenger from DeMint?
Giuliani: No.
Russert: What about another challenger from your right? Senator Allen, Governor Huck-
Giuliani: No. If someone wants to run against me in a primary, they have right to do so. But I'm not worried about it. I won in an Electoral College landslide, I have a mandate from the American people to govern, and a primary would throw that mandate to the wind.
Russert: Do you think that your minimum wage bill will pass the Congress, even with such opposition?
Giuliani: Vice President Hutchison is my liaison to the Capitol and she's very persuasive. I have no worries about it.
Russert: What about Puerto Rican state hood? You made it a central issue in your State of the Union. Why is it such an issue to you?
Giuliani: Puerto Rico is a great place, filled with great people. They have a rich culture, a thriving tourism industry, and a growing democracy. To keep them subjected as, what is in effect, a colony is an affront to principles of the America.
Russert: Thank you, sir.
Giuliani: Thank you, Tim.
Russert: Up next: Chris Matthews, David Greggory, Tom Brokaw, Joe Scarborough, and Katty Kay break down what the President just told me. Stick around.
Giuliani: That should be fun. (laughs)
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1526 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:28 PM »

Lieberman Interview with George Stephanoloupous
Airs on ABC, July 10th, 2005 at 9:00AM

GS: We're here today with Secretary of State Joe Lieberman.
JL: Thanks for having me, George. It's great to be here.
GS: So Sec. Rice introduced her idea called "The Surge". Your thoughts?
JL: Well George, I love the plan. I think it's a great idea and I'm fully in favor. We need to stabilize the Middle East, and I believe that her plan is the best way.
GS: President Guliani announced his foreign trip schedule. What about you, do you have any scheduled trips in the near future?
JL: I'll be joining the President on all his trips, as well as spending two days in Israel, two days in China, two days in Japan, and one day each in Australia and New Zealand. It is important to both me and the President that we keep good connections with our allies, as well as reach out and make new connections as well.
GS: What are your thoughts on the appointment of former Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld being appointed as Presidential Envoy to the Middle East?
JL: I think that Secretary Rumsfeld is fully qualified and the best choice that we can make at this point in time.
GS: Thank you. Ladies and Gentlemen, that was Secretary of State Joseph Lieberman, when we return, Donna Brazile, Ed Gillespie, Martha Raddatz, and George Will join me to discuss what we've just learned from the Secretary. We'll see you in a bit, this is This Week on ABC.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1527 on: August 23, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »

Kucinich fights against Giuliani's Iraq troop surge

Mr. Speaker, I rise before the House to voice my strong disapproval of this new plan from the White House in Iraq. Our government is founded on the Constitution and for finding the truth. We have found out that there have been no weapons of mass destruction like the Bush administration told all of Congress that there was, nor is there any link with al-Qaeda and their plans during 9/11. What we are waging in Iraq is an illegal war, and a war that must end immediately. In a war based on lies, we here in Congress must hold people accountable, and President Giuliani just like President Bush hasn't yet been held accountable for his actions. We can begin to grow a spine and change our ways today.

I led the opposition against the Iraq War resolution in 2002. Although we didn't succeed, we made our voices heard. We must recognize the wrong that we've caused to the Iraqi people with our illegal occupation. Instead of debating the end of the war, Congress is preparing to give the war a new beginning. A troop surge will only make matters worse in Iraq. The people are scornful towards our troops' presence in their country, and the whole region has only become more unstable since we intervened. We have done enough damage already, and it is not the time to put more of our troops in harm's way in the Middle East.

I am calling on Congress to do everything possible to oppose this surge. We must not rubber stamp all of President Giuliani's agenda without thinking of the consequences. Congress must stop approving more and more funding for military efforts in the region. Hundreds of our troops have died already, along with tens of thousands of civilians in Iraq. Billions of taxpayer dollars have also been squandered away in a conflict with no military solutions. We must reconcile with Iraq and take an active part in rebuilding their country, but our plan should not involve bombs and guns. I yield back the balance of my time.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1528 on: August 23, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2014, 10:42:11 PM by SJoyce of Harrenhal »

One America PAC: 2005 Cycle

Organization
National Director: Former Senator John Edwards
Senate Director: Former Senator Sam Nunn
House Director: Rep. Chet Edwards
States Director: Gov. Mark Warner

I'm glad to announce that we here at One America have assembled a crack team of experts to help us take back Congress in 2006. Heading up our Senate campaign arm is former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn, a Senate veteran who stood out as a leader on national security and will be an influential voice in our national security debate. Our House campaign will be led by Chet Edwards of Texas, a Democrat who's been effectively winning elections in a very conservative district for years, and our governors' campaigns will be led by current Virginia Governor Mark Warner, a moderate with a record of significant success in governing a state. I'm confident that, with this team, we'll be able to take back Congress in 2006 and deliver a real agenda of progress for America.

Finance Report
Total revenues (2005): $2,700,000
Virginia (statewide) expenditures -- $1,800,000
Houston expenditures -- $200,000

In Virginia, we'll be trying to get a big win for Tim Kaine, the current Lieutenant Governor, which is important for developing our bench in what's quickly becoming a swing state, along with supporting the Democrats running for Lieutenant Governor and Attorney General. We'll also be supporting Peter Brown and Sue Lovell for Houston City Council, which'll help Houston's mayor retain his seat while building a Democratic bench in the state.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1529 on: August 23, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »

Giuliani Overseas Tour
August 5th-23rd

5th-8th: United Kingdom
President Giuliani met with Prime Minister Tony Blair, Leader of the Opposition Michael Howard, Charles, Prince of Wales, and former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

9th-12th: The Netherlands
President Giuliani met with Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkende, Foreign Minister Ben Bot, and Queen Beatrix.

13th: Belgium
President Giuliani toured the NATO headquarters and chaired a session of the NATO Military Council. He briefed the Council on his new strategy in Iraq. He met with NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer and Deputy Secretary-General Alessandro Minuto-Rizzo.

14th-17th: Russia
President Giuliani met with President Vladimir Putin, Prime Minister Mikhail Fradkov, Mayor Yury Luzhkov, former Premier Mikhail Gorbachev, and former President Boris Yeltsin.

18th-20th: Afghanistan
President Giuliani met with President Hamid Karzai, Vice President Karim Khalili, General John Abizaid, and former General Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr.

20th-23rd: Iraq
President Giuliani met with President Jalal Talabani, Secretary of Defense Condi Rice, Secretary of State Joseph Lieberman, and Presidential Envoy to the Middle East Donald Rumsfeld.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1530 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:17 PM »

The Giuliani Years: Round 2 (2006)

The Iraq Surge seems to be the main point of President Giuliani's first year in office, while the decision has been largely split between Democrats and Republicans, Giuliani's approval ratings have largely remained intact. Senator Jim DeMint did prove to be a thorn in the President's side over some of his confirmations for his cabinet, and Tim Russert even asked Giuliani if he feared a right-wing primary challenge in 2008, but he dismissed such talk.

The President received a large groundswell of support for his Administration's handling the government's overall dealing with the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina. At the peak of the crisis Giuliani's approval rating reached a record high of 73 percent, which many analyst believe will benefit not only him, but Republicans in the upcoming midterms.

Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana is starting to make himself known as a possible presidential candidate in 2008, helping out congressional candidates across the country and working to rebuild the party's brand and image after their losses in November of 2004. Early polls give Giuliani a crushing advantage, but Democrats are quick to reply that the election is still three years away.

The midterms are a few months, but at the moment Republicans look to do well, in part do Giuliani's strong approval ratings and his strong and decisive decision over Iraq.

January 20, 2006: Pres. Giuliani Approval Rating
Approve: 56%
Disapprove: 38%
Undecided: 6%

I will be posting the results from the midterm at the start of Round 3.
This Round will Close on Thursday at 11:59 pm est.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1531 on: August 24, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

Jesse Ventura Campaign Announcement:

Fmr. Gov. Jesse Ventura announcing his senate run in Minneapolis
Today I am announcing I will be an independent candidate for the U.S. Senate seat here in Minnesota. We need a candidate that will stand up for our rights and liberties in the Senate, too long have lawyers and bureaucrats dictated our country. We need real leadership, and someone who will stand up to the Washington insiders and lobbyists. Let's win this senate seat for the people of Minnesota!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1532 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

Bob Smith: A comeback in the making?

Although Bob Smith lost the backing of the Republican establishment and lost his Senate seat along the way in 2002, he now seems to have regained the same political vigor that drove him to win many elections in a row. Smith has become active again in his home state of New Hampshire, acting as a surrogate for local Republican candidates, participating in party fundraisers, and even starting a new PAC under his name, Freedom Fighters PAC. "We Republicans can make more inroads in this state," Smith told a local reporter, "and that begins with laying out a clear, robust conservative agenda that I think the voters will respond to well."

All of the activities that Smith has been undertaking has led some observers to wonder whether Smith shall run for office again in the near future. This year, Smith for his part has ruled out running for Governor or for Congress in the 1st district, which he used to represent. Most believe that he would likely run in 2008, trying to reclaim his old Senate seat from incumbent Senator John Sununu. For now, Smith is mum on the subject. "Running for office myself is not what I have in mind right now. I can help out my fellow Republicans in many other ways, so that's what I'm concentrating on." Smith also advised other Republicans that "we shouldn't go for the wishy-washy moderates just for the sake of winning," and that principle is important in a candidate.

Smith appears to be rebuilding goodwill from the New Hampshire establishment that was squandered away during the 2000 presidential election, when Smith briefly left the party. The former Senator is balancing maintaining the image of the elder statesman with a seasoned resume in Washington as well as the conservative insurgent he has become to be known by over the years. Smith's efforts in the midterms should allow him to have new credibility going forward, and what that means for his political future has yet to be seen.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1533 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »

Lincoln announces support for Democrats in 2006

Former Senator and Vice Presidential candidate Blanche Lincoln, announced today that she would be a familiar face on the 2006 campaign trail.

After spending the first three months of 2005 with her family, Lincoln announced in late March of 2005 that she was accepting a position as Executive Director of The Gates Foundation, a $6 billion charity foundation founded by Bill and Melinda Gates. The Gates Foundation was noted for its help in Katrina Recovery efforts, and in addition to disaster relief, Lincoln's main crusade as head of the foundation has been finding new ways to combat poverty, public school drop out rates, and job discrimination in poor urban areas, as well as a focus on the appalachian region of the United States.

The former Vice Presidential candidate will stump for many Democrats in the 2006 election, including Amy Klobuchar in Minnesota, Jim Webb in Virginia, Claire McCaskill in Missouri, Harold Ford, Jr. in Tennessee, Jon Tester in Montana, and over twenty House candidates in competitive races.

As a candidate with special knowledge and experience in the Biden for America campaign's 50 state-strategy, Lincoln is seen in Democratic circles as an invaluable resource for candidates in traditionally Republican-leaning states. As Biden for America stated during the 2004 presidential election, their 50-state strategy was handed over to the DNC, DSCC, and DCCC as a foundation for what will surely be a monumental midterm year for the Democratic party. Some have even called for Lincoln to run for president in 2008; helping successful candidates win in 2006 is exactly what Lincoln needs to be doing if she does intend to run.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1534 on: August 25, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »

Statement from the Office of the President of the United States
White House Press Secretary Chris Wallace

With the midterms coming up very soon, President Rudy Giuliani has announced that he will be taking a very active role in various elections. Below is a list of the candidates that he will appear with on the campaign trail. He will also campaign for various Congressmen and women and state-wide officers.

Frank Murkowski for Governor of Alaska
Arnold Schwarzenegger for Governor of California
Charlie Crist for Governor of Florida
Judy Baar Topinka for Governor of Illinois
Kerry Healey for Governor of Massachusetts
Tim Pawlenty for Governor of Minnesota
Jim Coburn for Governor of New Hampshire
Donald Carcieri for Governor of Rhode Island

Jim Talent for Senator of Missouri
Conrad Burns for Senator of Montana
Mike DeWine for Senator of Ohio
Lincoln Chaffee for Senator of Rhode Island
George Allen for Senator of Virginia
Bob Corker for Senator of Tennessee
Michael Steele for Senator of Maryland
Thomas Kean, Jr. for Senator of New Jersey

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1535 on: August 25, 2014, 07:04:07 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 07:33:06 AM by SJoyce of Harrenhal »

One America PAC: 2006 Targeted Seats

States Director Mark Warner
I'm excited to announce our new targeted races for the 2006 cycle. With the help of ordinary donors, we raised $5.1 million this year, which we'll be sending towards some key races to help us take back these governorships. This year, we're targeting Mike Beebe of Arkansas, Jim Davis of Florida, Martin O'Malley of Maryland, Tommy Moore of South Carolina, and Chris Bell of Texas.

Senate Director Sam Nunn
The Senate right now's split right down the middle - 53-47, Republicans in control. It'll take a decent effort to put us back in control, and One America PAC is going to target four races that'll help us do it. We'll be chipping in some funds to help keep our seat in Maryland, but our three big targeted races this year are Missouri, Tennessee, and Virginia.

House Director Chet Edwards
House races mean a lot - that's where our money can go the furthest and that's where we're best able to take back control of our government. Accordingly that's where we're putting most of our money this cycle, winning back the House and delivering control of the people's House to the party that best represents the people.

Finance Report
Total revenues (2005): $5,100,000
Expenditures:
House expenditures: $3,250,000 ($250,000 each to FL-08, FL-13, FL-16, FL-22, GA-08, GA-12, KY-03, KY-04, NC-08, NC-11, TX-22, TX-23, and VA-02)

Senate expenditures: $850,000 ($50,000 to MD-Sen, $500,000 to VA-Sen, $100,000 to TN-Sen, and $200,000 to MO-Sen)
Governorship expenditures: $1,000,000 ($50,000 to MD-Gov, $250,000 to SC-Gov, $100,000 to AR-Gov, $300,000 to FL-Gov, and $300,000 to TX-Gov)
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1536 on: August 25, 2014, 08:00:04 AM »

Freedom Project PAC: 2006 Targeted Seats

States Chair George Pataki
2006 Targeted Races
  • Arkansas-Asa Hutchinson
  • Colorado-Bob Beauprez
  • Florida-Charlie Crist
  • Idaho-C.L. Otter
  • Iowa-Jim Nussle
  • Maryland-Robert Ehrlich
  • Massachusetts-Kerry Healey
  • Nevada-Jim Gibbons
  • New York-John Faso
  • Ohio-Ken Blackwell

Senate Chair George Voinovich
2006 Targeted Races
  • Connecticut-Alan Schlesinger
  • Maryland-Michael Steele
  • Minnesota-Mark Kennedy
  • Missouri-Jim Talent
  • Montana-Conrad Burns
  • New Jersey-Thomas Kean, Jr.
  • Ohio-Mike DeWine
  • Rhode Island-Lincoln Chaffee
  • Tennessee-Bob Corker
  • Vermont-Richard Tarrant

Budget Report
Revenues: $2,046,146
Expenditure: $2,000,000 ($100,000 for each race)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1537 on: August 25, 2014, 10:45:41 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 10:48:59 AM by NHI »

Midterm Races to Watch: 2006

Pennsylvania: Tossup
(D) Bob Casey: 48%
(R) Rick Santorum (inc) 43%

Missouri: Lean Republican
(R) Jim Talent (inc) 47%
(D) Claire McCaskill: 43%

Rhode Island: Tossup
(R) Lincoln Chaffee (inc) 46%
(D) Sheldon Whitehouse: 43%

Minnesota: Tossup
(D) Amy Klobuchar: 30%
(I) Jesse Ventura: 29%
(R) Mark Kennedy: 25%

Virginia: Lean Republican
(R) George Allen (inc) 49%
(D) Jim Webb: 40%

Ohio: Tossup
(R) Mike DeWine (inc) 46%
(D) Sherrod Brown: 40%

Montana: Tossup
(R) Conrad Burns (inc) 45%
(D) Jon Tester: 42%

Maryland: Lean Democrat
(D) Ben Cardin: 48%
(R) Michael Steele: 41%

Tennessee: Lean Republican
(R) Bob Corker: 49%
(D) Harold Ford: 43%

New Jersey: Tossup
(R) Thomas Kean: 46%
(D) Bob Menendez: 44%

Connecitcut: Tossup
(R) Alan Schlesinger: 42%
(D) Ned Lamont: 40%
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1538 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »

OOC: I think I will still provide some commentary as Rumsfeld now that he has a new and fascinating job, but it's time for my new character... Let's welcome...

Donald Trump announces bid for NY Governor as a Republican!

New York City, February, 2006:
In a move that shocked the pundits, businessman Donald Trump announced that he would indeed seek the Governorship of New York with the retirement of Governor Pataki. Mr. Trump will seek the Republican nomination, and he has already started to put in motion his self-funded campaign with an extensive tour of New York City followed by a town hall tour to meet with Republican voters and activists and secure the nomination.

"Through the past months I have been contacted by many Republicans across this state who have encouraged me to run for office, and I have decided to listen to those voices. I will run for Governor of this great state, and I plan to give my best to win this election and serve the people of New York in the best way I can. It wasn't an easy choice, but this state it's worth and you can bet I intend to win this race. Some might criticize my financial situation, but I am very proud of what I done, of the jobs I have created and the successful companies I have created. This state needs a strong leader with a strong record, it needs someone who can really run the state in the best direction, and I feel I am the man for the job. And to this state I pledge that I shall be a Governor that will try to balance our budget and improve our economical situation, a Governor that will fight against crime to protect our citizens, a Governor who will protect civil liberties whenever is necessary, a Governor who is ready to lower taxes and reform our educational system. Prepare yourselves, because Donald Trump is going all-out! New York deserves a great Governor for the next four years!"

Can Donald Trump become the next Governor of New York?

While he acknowledges that some of his views may be a bit uncommon, that certainly does not discourage Donald Trump from running for office. Six years after his failed bid to become the Reform Party nominee in 2000 Donald Trump had a very successful time thanks to the TV show "The Apprentice" and his renewed success in business, which led him to recover his interest in politics. It's going to be a tough race with a renewed Democratic Party in the state, but Trump and his team (which includes a lot of young conservatives and some of the rising stars in the party, like Campaign Manager Steve Schmidt) feel they have significant advantages on the race. With Rudy Giuliani as a popular president and New York going Republican in the last election they feel the GOP has a lot more strength in the state than before, and if Mr. Trump can replicate the success of Governor Pataki then he may very well win the race against the still undecided Democratic nominee.

Furthermore, Mr. Trump doesn't have to worry about money like other candidates, since he has announced that he will run a self-funded campaign in order to remain fully independent in terms of donors. It's rumored that the Trump campaign is ready to spend between $20 to $50 million on the campaign trail if necessary, and arrangements are being made to hire a great amount of volunteers to run the state along with a great numbers of ads highlighting Mr. Trump's record, "common-sense views" and appeals to both the GOP electorate and the general election voters. The team is confident that the primary will be an easy one, but they are not taking anything for granted and the candidate is preparing to tour the state to reach as much Republicans as he can. It has also been reported that Mr. Trump is undergoing intense debate training to prepare himself and to discipline him in order to grow more focused for the race. And while Mr. Trump may not be the most orthodox candidate by any measure, his incredibly high name recognition, dynamic team and his financial assets could make him a formidable challenger.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1539 on: August 25, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »

Ron Paul Campaign Announcement:

Congressman Ron Paul announcing his run for Vice-President Hutchinson's Senate Seat
Today I am announcing that I will be running in the Republican Primary for U.S. Senate! We need real conservative principles from Texas! For years I have stood for the Constitution in the house, now I am running to continue that leadership and principle in the Senate! For too long have we had leaders who are willing to give up our liberties and freedoms. I will be a fighter for the people of Texas!
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1540 on: August 25, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »

Tom Ridge Campaign Announcement:

Fmr. Governor Tom Ridge announcing his primary challenge against Senator Rick Santorum
I am here today to announce that I will be running in the Senate Primary against Rick Santorum. Too long has Senator Santorum strayed from both his values that Pennsylvanians elected him on, but he has also stopped supporting our state in the U.S. Senate. We need someone who will stand up for our state! That is why I am running, to better serve the people of Pennsylvania, just as I did as Governor. Let's stop with the politicking and get to work for the citizens of Pennsylvania!
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1541 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »

Secretary of Commerce Gary Johnson Press Release:

While it is not customary for Secretaries to give endorsements, I must break that trend to endorse candidates that I think are what America needs right now. That is why I am endorsing Congressman Ron Paul for U.S. Senate in Texas, Governor Jesse Ventura for U.S. Senate in Minnesota, and Governor Tom Ridge for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania. I am also endorsing Michael Steele and George Allen for their respective races. Should I see any other candidates that I believe will help America, I will endorse them.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1542 on: August 25, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »

"To hold on to the Senate, we dearly need candidates that represent our ideas in Washington. That is why I won't endorse the same old same old Republican politicians, I will endorse bold conservative leaders who will demand change in our country. The Senate Conservative Fund will back all of these candidates wholeheartedly and give them the tools they need to get the message out and defeat the liberals who are destroying our great country."

Jim DeMint Endorsements

Senate
CT - Attorney Kevin O'Connor
FL - Former Congressman Bill McCollum
MN - Congressman Mark Kennedy
MS - Senator Trent Lott
MO - Senator Jim Talent
MT - Senator Conrad Burns
NE - Businessman Pete Ricketts
NY - Mayor John Spencer
PA - Senator Rick Santorum
RI - Mayor Steve Laffey
TN - Congressman Ed Bryant
TX - Congressman Ron Paul
VA - Senator George Allen
WV - Businessman John Raese

Gubernatorial
AL - Judge Roy Moore
AK - Mayor Sarah Palin
AZ - Activist Don Goldwater
FL - CFO Tom Gallagher
GA - Governor Sonny Perdue
ID - Governor Butch Otter
IL - State Senator Bill Brady
NV - State Senator Bob Beers
NY - Businessman Donald Trump
OH - Sec of State Ken Blackwell
OK - Congressman Ernest Istook
SC - Governor Mark Sanford
TX - Governor Rick Perry
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1543 on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:40 PM »

DeMint appearance on CNN

Wolf Blitzer: With all these primaries going on, we go to the man at the source of all this chaos, Senator Jim Demint. Senator, welcome to the situation room.

Jim DeMint: Great to be here Wolf.

Blitzer: Let's get started - relations between you and President Giuliani hasn't been on very solid terms. With your organization of Republican Senators against the Presidents nominees and minimum wage laws, do you think he should be in the party, or that you should leave the party to form your own coalition.

DeMint: First of all, let me just say that the media perpetuates all of this drama and it's not exactly true. President Giuliani and I agree on a lot, it's just he's persued a lot of his agenda on what us conservatives do not want. He has pushed for nominees that disagree with the values of our people and he's pushed the minimum wage, a liberal talking point that has for years put more people in poverty, not less. I simply stood for my principles and told the President that conservatives will not follow a non-conservative agenda.

Blitzer: The map looks like its going to be a battle for the control of the Senate. You've recently released a list of candidates that will be endorsed by your big money group, the Senate Conservatives Fund, and have raised a record amount of money for that cause. Why did you endorse the candidates you endorsed.

DeMint: It's simple really, I didn't have to think too much, I know what conservatives are looking for in leaders. They want principles, they want integrity, and most of all they want strength in their convictions. I may disagree with Congressman Ron Paul on the way he goes about some of his foreign policy, but I know he's an honest man and I know most of his positions are positions in which more of the GOP should follow. Same with Rick Santorum, whose values on the minimum wage are questionable, but otherwise he's a man that should be leading the GOP.

Blitzer: With all this activism, there comes the question, will you run against the President in 2008 in a Republican Primary?

DeMint: I can say for now I probably won't, but its too early. The President has a lot of good stated positions, his ideas on taxes, spending, foreign policy, are all within conservative orthodoxy, but besides a strong foreign policy, he's really failed in terms of acting on those principles, and instead acted on what the Democrats want. To be an effective President, you have to play on your own turf, not theirs. Besides, The Senate is a far more effective place to be active in policy anyways.

Blitzer: Finally, you have a bill in the works involving immigration, promoting a stronger border security. Have you talked to any Democrats about making the bill passable, or are you going to fight on it in the Senate and hope it gets the votes?

DeMint: Wolf, my border security bill will fix the holes in the problems we have. We have millions of illegal immigrants coming over and we can't do anything about it. My bill puts more forces on the border, builds a fence, but most importantly, gets rid of the bureacracy that we have. For every border patrol agent, we have four or five people doing paper work, and those people are added to the count, which is why when asked, Democrats always tell you have a masisve amount of people on the border. We have to lower that bureacracy and get more people directly on the border, along with a fence, so that these people don't cross over here illegally and we have a system that is far to people who immigrate here legally.

Blitzer: Thank you Senator DeMint.

DeMint: Pleasure to be here, Wolf.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1544 on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »

May we get polls for a generic midterm ballot and for presidential primaries?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1545 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 02:47:08 PM by IDS Legislator Maxwell »

And with match-ups between Giuliani v. Democrats and DeMint v. Democrats.

Also, could you do a primaries update on Wednesday or something, since we are starting to see some contentious primaries.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1546 on: August 25, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »

May we get polls for a generic midterm ballot and for presidential primaries?

For the Democrats, can you include Senator Clinton, former Senator Edwards, Senator Obama, and 
and Governor Breseden? (I'm considering running as Clinton (again) Obama or Breseden, and Edwards should be a frontrunner)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1547 on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

Statement from the President of the United States
White House Press Secretary Chris Wallace

President Giuliani has released a few additional candidates that we will appear with during campaigning for the midterms.

Donald Trump for Governor of New York

Tom Ridge for Senator of Pennsylvania
Jesse Ventura for Senator of Minnesota
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1548 on: August 25, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »

I will have those up by tonight.
And yes, by Wednesday! Not a problem.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1549 on: August 25, 2014, 04:34:31 PM »

State of the Union Address
January 31st, 2006

Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, Reverend Al Sharpton, Martin Luther King, III, LAPD Chief William Bratton, Mayor Ray Nagin, Ambassador to the united Nations John Negroponte, and Former First Lady Laura Bush are seated next to First Lady Judith Giuliani as the special guests of President Rudy Giuliani. Secretary of Education Judd Gregg and Secretary of Veterans’ Affairs chuck Hagel serve as the designated survivors for the event, watching the speech from separate, undisclosed locations under the protection of the United States Armed Forces.

Wilson Livingood: Mr. Speaker, the President of the United States!

"Thank you all. Mr. Speaker, Vice President Hutchison, Members of Congress, Members of the Supreme Court, Members of the Diplomatic Corps, Distinguished guests, fellow citizens:

Before I begin tonight, I ask for a moment of silence out of respect for the passing of one of our nation’s most spirited advocates for Civil Rights. Her career began in 1953 when she married Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but the struggle lasted her entire life. When Dr. King was struck down in Memphis, she did not hide - but she became even more vocal in her mission. Coretta Scott King will be eternally remembered for her great work.

We are here once again to discuss our great nation and plan out our agenda for the next year. Friends, that State of our Union is strong and will only become stronger as we move forward.

One of the powers granted to the President, is the ability to appoint members of the United States Supreme Court. I have been handed two spaces to fill on the Court: one from the death of Chief Justice Rehnquist, and one from the resignation of Sandra Day O’Connor. I am asking the Senate to confirm Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy as the next Chief Justice, John G. Roberts to fill the seat vacated by Mrs. O’Connor, and Senator Orrin Hatch to fill the seat vacated by Mr. Kennedy's ascension.

We are achieving success around the globe. The Surge has made us much closer to victory in Iraq and Afghanistan and democracy is spreading to many people. Osama bin Laden is on the run and will be found as we push back the enemies of the United States, who would attempt to harbor him.

There are now 98 more Democratic nations in the world than there were in 1945. Communism does not have a lock on any part of the world as it did in 1960s and 1970s, more people are able to participate in their government, and women’s suffrage is almost universal. The task is not complete, but large steps towards success have been taken.

The City of New Orleans and much of our nation’s coast, was devastated by the impact of Hurricane Katrina. We did not linger, we did not hide, we did not wait. Before the waters had receded, Mayor Nagin, Secretary Card, Secretary Clark, and myself were on the ground in New Orleans - coordinating relief efforts and ensuring the safety of the American people. We could not have done it without the great work of the National Guard, as well as the emergency response teams of  the communities involved.

Our planet has both renewable and finite resources. Wind, solar, wave, and geothermal are all viable forms of alternative energy. I have directed Secretary of Energy Domenici to expand federal grants for companies that will invest and develop these sources of energy. We cannot and we will not be subject to the will and temper of the oil supply of foreign nations. We saw that happen in the 1970s and we will not go through it again.

Sitting next to my wife tonight are two people who have spurred job growth across the nation. Donald Trump, the Chairman of the Trump Organization and Founder of Trump Entertainment Resorts. has been a friend of mine for decades. His infrastructure and real estate projects have created many jobs across the nation and across the globe. Also with us tonight is Steve Jobs. Apple Inc. was founded in 1976 in Steve’s garage and has expanded to become one of the largest businesses in the world. Pixar, another one of Steve’s businesses, has become a household name for it’s many films. Apple and Pixar, the Trump Organization and Trump Entertainment Resorts, and many other businesses are the backbone of America. All of these have started as small, local shops and have grown - creating jobs, products, and revenue for the American people. Let these serve as reminders to the many small businesses across America - such as Frank’s Automotive in Savannah, Georgia and Debby’s Diner in Kennebunkport, Maine.

I am once again presenting two proposal to Congress, which has failed to act upon them over the last year. First, pass regulations on Government-sponsored Enterprises. This will keep the American people’s money safer when they invest. Second, expand the home mortgage interest deduction. This will inspire people to buy their homes, and home-ownership is a driving factor in our nation’s economy. These are issues that are critical to the success of our nations. Should Congress fail to act on these, we may be plagued by an economic downturn and set us up for another depression in the near future.

Thank you, and may God Bless the United States of America."
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies