2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:02:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154444 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: May 25, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »

Kucinich GOTV Strategy

The Kucinich campaign sees prime opportunities to win in a number of states and amass a large amount of delegates along the way. They are most confident about their chances in Vermont, and so less attention has been paid to intensely working on the campaign trail, although the GOTV operation has been strengthened there. The biggest target is Ohio, Congressman Kucinich's home state. The key to victory is mobilizing supporters in Kucinich's home city of Cleveland that he represents in Congress and that is a large segment of the voting block in the state. In addition, a strong effort has been made to introduce the candidate to other parts of the state, urban and rural, in order to maximize turnout across the state. Ohio surrogates such as Congressman Sherrod Brown and former Governor Dick Celeste have been instrumental in spreading awareness of Kucinich and bringing in as many voters as possible. Much attention has been brought to Kucinich's working class roots in order to relate to voters, and his record in Congress for votes on Iraq, the minimum wage, and health care have been brought up to rally support among all demographics, such as students, minorities, and women.

Other states such as Rhode Island, Minnesota, and California are also seen as having a good opportunity for an outright victory, so many resources have been invested in those states. Advertising has been ramped up across the country and grassroots forces are mobilizing in neighborhoods and communities to bring in support across the contested states. Organizations such as the AFL-CIO, ACLU, and Sierra Club have also come out in full force during Super Tuesday, airing their own advertisements, distributing pamphlets and direct mail, and encouraging members in Super Tuesday states to get mobilized in support of Kucinich. This is done in order to bring in support from various groups in order to have the highest possible turnout with motivated supporters.

Other surrogates not mentioned in the schedule, including Barney Frank, Gore Vidal, Ralph Nader, etc. have been stumping for the candidate in the targeted states for an intense GOTV operation on voting day. They have also been giving media interviews and motivating supporters and donors through the Internet, trying to help out the campaign in every way possible that the Congressman alone couldn't achieve. The liberal grassroots has the highest enthusiasm seen at this point in this campaign, and other subsections of voters have been getting direct appeals from the candidate and from surrogates, making the case why Kucinich is superior on the issues compared to Biden, Clinton, and Edwards. Undecided voters are being persuaded through all of the methods listed above in what has turned out to be a very strong organizational effort to the very end, which the campaign is expected to pay off now.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #776 on: May 25, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »

Morning Joe Excerpts - Chief of Staff Andy Card

"The difference between Allen and Giuliani is quite simple - we see what the Democrats have to offer, we counter it with a proposal that keeps in tact the American tradition and entrepreneurial spirit. Instead of running on being the anti-Democrat, Allen runs on being his own person. This election should be a choice between two visions for America. What we've seen on the campaign trail, and people like Treasury Secretary Snow and Defense Secretary Rumsfeld have endorsed him because of this, is that Allen is the candidate that offers an alternative to the Democratic effort. We can't afford to endorse a candidate who doesn't give an alternative vision."

"The minimum wage issue is important, and instead of distancing ourselves from the issue, Republicans need to be a part of the solution. Luckily, Senator Allen has worked with Senator Santorum and put forward a bold proposal that will fix the problem while giving small businesses some room to breathe. The Biden proposal is too far gone, but we do need to raise the minimum wage, and that's what our campaign is promoting."

"Conservatives win elections all the time. George W. Bush himself ran and won as a Conservative. And Americans like this President, and they like Senator George Allen. Conservatives will turn out stronger for fellow conservatives, and that's why Allen is the best general election candidate. Being appealing to the center important, but not alienating the right is important too. Fortunately one candidate can appeal to the center and the right, and that's Allen."

"Social Issues, like it or not, are important to the American people. And any candidate running on gay marriage and gun control is dead in the water. George Allen is pro-gun, and anti-gay marriage, and thus that makes him appealing. Democrats are running away from those issues, and if, god forbid, a Republican nominee runs on those issues, they will be losing a lot of potential voters, and that is worrying."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #777 on: May 25, 2014, 11:03:40 PM »

Round XVII: March 3-9
Super Tuesday: Democrats

California:
√ Hillary Clinton: 30.9% (370)
Joe Biden: 27.0%
John Edwards: 25.4%
Dennis Kucinich: 16.7%

Connecticut:
√ Hillary Clinton: 32% (49)
Joe Biden: 27%
John Edwards: 22%
Dennis Kucinich: 19%

Georgia:
√ John Edwards: 36% (69)
Hillary Clinton: 30%
Joe Biden: 19%
Dennis Kucinich: 15%

Maryland:
√ Joe Biden: 29.4% (39)
Hillary Clinton: 28.2%
John Edwards: 26.7%
Dennis Kucinich: 15.7%

Massachusetts:
√ Joe Biden: 31.7% (93)
Hillary Clinton: 28.7%
John Edwards: 20.8%
Dennis Kucinich: 18.8%

Minnesota:
√ Hillary Clinton: 31% (72)
John Edwards: 28%
Joe Biden: 22%
Dennis Kucinich: 19%

New York:
√ Hillary Clinton: 72% (236)
John Edwards: 14%
Joe Biden: 9%
Dennis Kucinich: 6%

Ohio:
√ John Edwards: 27.1% (140)
Hillary Clinton: 26.9%
Joe Biden: 26.5%
Dennis Kucinich: 19.5%

Rhode Island:
√ Hillary Clinton: 28.6% (21)
Joe Biden: 28.3%
John Edwards: 24.2%
Dennis Kucinich: 18.9%

Vermont:
√ Dennis Kucinich: 37% (15)
Hillary Clinton: 25%
John Edwards: 24%
Joe Biden: 16%

Hillary Clinton: 966
John Edwards: 482
Joe Biden: 378
Dennis Kucinich: 168

Super Tuesday saw Hillary Clinton walk away with a chunk of delegates and wins in the big states save for Ohio, which narrowly was carried by John Edwards in a surprising upset win! John Edwards, long thought to be politically dead has seen a strong resurgence in support in recent weeks, and it was enough for him to run up the numbers in Ohio, bumping past Biden and Clinton the favorites for the state. His campaign is alive and kicking after Super Tuesday and puts him back in the driver seat.

For the first time in the primary Clinton took a long lead in the race for delegates. She swept across the country, still with no candidate anywhere near the threshold of 2,162 delegates needed to win the nomination, this race is face from over, and with Edwards' win in Ohio and Biden two victories and Kucinich's strong showing and single victory in (Maryland and Massachusetts and Vermont respectively) the race for the Democratic nomination will continue. But, Hillary Clinton can certainly claim an important symbolic victory tonight. She has seemingly stopped the bleeding, coming after weeks of attacks by her Democratic rivals. She won where she needed to and won the big state. The question still remains whether or not she can close the deal...

March 9th: Contests

America Samoa: 6
Hillary Clinton: 35%
Dennis Kucinich: 27%
Joe Biden: 17%
John Edwards: 14%
Undecided: 7%

Florida: 122
John Edwards: 29%
Hillary Clinton: 27%
Joe Biden: 25%
Dennis Kucinich: 13%
Undecided: 6%

Louisiana: 52
John Edwards: 30%
Hillary Clinton: 27%
Joe Biden: 24%
Dennis Kucinich: 13%

Mississippi: 33
Joe Biden: 23%
Dennis Kucinich: 11%

Texas: 73
Hillary Clinton: 28%
John Edwards: 25%
Joe Biden: 24%
Dennis Kucinich: 17%

This Round will Close Friday 5/30/14 at 12:01 AM EST
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #778 on: May 25, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 11:09:08 PM by NHI »

Round XVII: March 3-9
Super Tuesday: Republicans

California:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 38% (370)
George Allen: 33%
Gary Johnson: 28%

Connecticut:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 52% (49)
George Allen: 33%
Gary Johnson: 15%

Georgia:
√ George Allen: 52% (69)
Gary Johnson: 25%
Rudy Giuliani: 23%

Massachusetts:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 49% (93)
Gary Johnson: 31%
George Allen: 20%

Maryland:
√ George Allen: 43.3% (39)
Rudy Giuliani: 42.6%
Gary Johnson: 14.1%

Minnesota:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 34.4% (72)
Gary Johnson: 33.0%
George Allen: 32.6%

New York:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 76% (236)
George Allen: 14%
Gary Johnson: 10%

Ohio:
√ George Allen: 39.0% (140)
Rudy Giuliani: 38.8%
Gary Johnson: 22.1%

Rhode Island:
√ Rudy Giuliani: 53% (21)
George Allen: 35%
Gary Johnson: 12%

Vermont:
√ Gary Johnson: 42.7% (15)
Rudy Giuliani: 40.3%
Gary Johnson: 17.0%
Rudy Giuliani: 1,071
George Allen: 744
Gary Johnson: 144
Donald Rumsfeld: 61

Rudy Giuliani fell 73 votes shy of the magic number 1,144. He carried six of the ten states, including California. George Allen squeaked by with a narrow win in Ohio, so his campaign is not on the ropes yet. Gary Johnson has a pretty strong showing, finishing second in a few contests and winning Vermont. The race for the nomination now moves to the conservative south, where Giuliani's support is not as strong. His campaign has clear momentum, the question is now whether or not he can keep it going...

March 9th: Contests

Rudy Giuliani: 55%
George Allen: 37%
Gary Johnson: 5%
Undecided: 2%

Rudy Giuliani: 40%
George Allen: 35%
Gary Johnson: 19%

George Allen: 50%
Gary Johnson: 13%

George Allen: 50%
Rudy Giuliani: 30%
Gary Johnson: 13%

Rudy Giuliani: 36%
George Allen: 34%
Gary Johnson: 24%
Undecided: 5%

This Round will Close Friday 5/30/14 at 12:01 AM EST
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #779 on: May 25, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »

Senator George Allen Withdraws, endorses Giuliani

Pictured: Giuliani and Allen playing a game of catch after a contentious campaign

"I want to thank everyone who came out today. We did very well in these Super Tuesday, but unfortunately, we didn't do well enough. Therefore, I am ending my Presidential Campaign and endorsing Rudy Giuliani. Look, I don't agree with the Mayor on every issue, but the mayor has the convictions to win on the policy, and the ability to win on the election side. He's a fighter in the war in Iraq, and compared to the Democrats, he is the clear choice.

We need to bring a choice to the election. We can't be the Party of No. We have to be the party of solutions that put people first, rather than growing Government. This campaign was about solutions to the problems that face America, and we need to continue the conversation on growth and prosperity. I'm proud of the campaign we ran, and I hope our message can be continued in the general, even if its not in my voice.

With Giuliani as our nominee, we can win this election, we can beat terror, and we can be confident in his leadership. During 9/11, he bravely defended this country, and he will again be a leader in national defense as President. His foreign policy views are hardline, he will not back down to our nations enemies. The Democrats have a foreign policy of appeasement, Giuliani doesn't stand for it.

In November, there will be a serious choice. That choice will be for freedom, or for bigger, more intrusive government and a weaker America. I know what my choice will be. I probably know what yours will be too!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #780 on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 12:43:29 AM by badgate »

"It's not over yet!"

I'll admit, I had hoped to be speaking to you here in California under different circumstances. We campaigned hard in the most strongly Democratic areas of the state, hoping that enough people would come out to support us at the polls today. So congratulations to Senator Clinton, Senator Edwards for his job well done in Ohio, and Congressman Kucinich in Vermont.

But it's not over yet!

We did not lose California because Hillary Clinton is a great candidate. We simply need to make sure that our message is heard, and that the Democratic voters in this primary know there are more options than the "inevitable Senator Clinton."

I believe that we need to work harder, speak louder, and aim higher. My record was made for this election, with voters focused on war abroad and trouble brewing here at home. I will end the war in Iraq and fulfill America's responsibilities there. I will make sure that college is affordable for everybody willing to work for it, and that working for it pays fairly by raising the minimum wage. I will sign the Employer Non-Discrimination Act into law to ensure supreme fairness for our gay, lesbian, and transgender neighbors in the workplace. I am the Democratic nominee that you've been searching for, and going into the southern states ahead, I believe firmly that the results on March 9th will show that. Congratulations, Bless you, thank you for your hard work, and we'll see you in Boston!!

Statement from Biden Campaign

The campaign has reallocated its remaining field organizers to the following areas:

Texas:
-1 in Austin metro
-1 in Rio Grande Valley (heavily Democratic/Hispanic)
-1 in Houston metro
-1 in Dallas/Ft. Worth metro
-1 in Lubbock metro
-1 in El Paso metro

Mississippi:
-2 in MS-2
-1 in MS-4

Florida:
-2 in Orlando metro
-2 in Miami metro
-1 in Tampa metro
-1 in Tallahassee metro
-1 in Jacksonville metro
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #781 on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:13 PM »

BREAKING NEWS
The Biden Campaign is requesting a recount in Rhode Island.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #782 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:19 AM »

Well, folks, Super Tuesday has reported. I'm proud to have won the state of Vermont, where a lot of hard work from staff and volunteers was put into over the months. We also made good showings across the country. However, Vermont was our only victory tonight. I'm disappointed in how we performed in other states, including right here in my home state of Ohio. We could have grabbed other victories, but, ultimately, we fell short of that in the end.

I may be ambitious and I may have always been an underdog in my career in politics, but I know when it is time to wrap things up. Therefore, I am ending my presidential campaign and endorsing John Edwards for the nomination. I believe that Senator Edwards is the best person to carry on the ideas of the Democratic Party to victory in November. Senator Clinton has the momentum after tonight, but she is a deeply flawed candidate. We as Democrats must not come to the conclusion that this race is over. I encourage all of my delegates to back the Edwards campaign for the convention, and I encourage all of my supporters who haven't had the chance to vote yet to back him now.

I truly am honored by the immense support I've had across the country during this campaign. The media didn't think anything of us at first, but we ended up winning four contests and getting over a hundred delegates, which far exceeds anything they expected. We have shown that a little ambition goes a long way, and that our ideas can't be ignored. Thank you all, and God bless the United States of America!
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #783 on: May 26, 2014, 12:24:50 AM »

Gary Johnson Withdraws! Does not endorse, opposes nomination of Giuliani!

First of all, I want to thank all my supporters, volunteers and campaign staff, our win in Vermont was proof enough that our ideas are gaining traction! But it is obvious that I cannot win the Republican nomination and I am withdrawing from the Republican primary. However, Rudy Giuliani is not the person that should be representing the Republican party, nor is he right to be president. He does not represent the true limited government and protection of civil liberties that our country needs.

It is not the end though, and I will still continue the fight for liberty. We have come too far to stop now, and we need a leader that understands the people. I cannot endorse any candidate that is running, all support big government and the reduction of our civil liberties and constitutional rights. We are down, but we are not out, let us be ever vigilant in this fight to protect our freedoms.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #784 on: May 26, 2014, 02:11:00 AM »

New Biden Endorsements

Ann Richards, Frmr. Governor from Texas

I know what some of y'all may be thinking. 'Why isn't Ann endorsing the woman? What about Ann and Hillary?' Well I would love to see a woman be President. But I tell ya I might die of boredom if Hillary Clinton is our nominee.

Senator Joe Biden is the candidate Texas Democrats can be proud to vote for in Boston. He's always been a strong proponent of women's rights, and wrote the Violence Against Women Act in 1993, back when I was in office. We here in Texas know better than most the mess that George Bush has got us in. Well I am completely confident in my support for Senator Joe Biden! Judging from his proven record, he can clean up the mess in Iraq and the messes Bush has made here at home! My fellow Texas Democrats, I implore you to vote for Senator Joe Biden in the Texas primary on March 9!

Lloyd Doggett, Representative from the 10th Congressional district of Texas

You all know I think the Iraq war was a mistake, but there is only one candidate we can count on to win in November, represent our Progressive values here in Austin, and bring our troops home. I am endorsing Senator Joe Biden for President in the Texas primary and will be asking as many of my constituents in my old district as well as the voters in the 25th district to vote for Joe as well.

Gene Taylor, Representative from the 4th Congressional district of Mississippi

You didn't really think I'd endorse a Clinton did you? We all know that Hillary Clinton is running for president, but she's not the only candidate and she's not even the best candidate. In my district we will be supporting Senator Joe Biden, a proven vote-getter and lawmaker that has the record and work ethic to do the job of President far better than the current occupant or other contenders.

Bennie Thompson, Representative from the 2nd Congressional district of Mississippi

An overwhelming number of Mississippi Democrats live here in my district, so I feel obligated to state my support in the coming Presidential primary. I will be voting for Senator Joe Biden. I've worked with Joe in Congress; he's a hard worker and one of the most passionate and selfless public servants we have. From Jackson to Clinton, to Greenville and Greenwood and Clarksdale and Vicksburg, we need you to vote on March 9th! And vote for Joe!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #785 on: May 26, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »

BREAKING NEWS: Rudy Giuliani Now Presumptive GOP Nominee

Rudy Giuliani: The Presumptive Nominee
Rudy Giuliani is the presumptive Republican nominee and will face either Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden or John Edwards. The former Mayor of New York did not receive the 1,144 delegates needed to secure the Republican Nomination, but fell only 73 short. Now with his two other Republican rivals George Allen and Gary Johnson no longer in the race the path is cleared for Giuliani.

George Allen, who had a respectable showing on Super Tuesday, dropped out and endorsed Rudy Giuliani, a sign of the party coming together and uniting behind the eventual nominee. Gary Johnson, however, did not endorse Giuliani as he ended his presidential. In his withdrawal speech, Johnson said, "Rudy Giuliani is not the person that should be representing the Republican party, nor is he right to be president. He does not represent the true limited government and protection of civil liberties that our country needs."

Johnson decision not to endorse Giuliani has led some to speculate over the possibility of him running as an independent candidate or a third party, such as the Libertarian Party. No comment from Johnson over whether or not he would run.

And Then There Were Three

The Democratic nominee will be either one of the incumbent senators (Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden) or a former Senator (John Edwards). Dennis Kucinich ended his campaign after Super Tuesday's showings and backed John Edwards for the nomination. Hillary Clinton was the clear winner in delegates Tuesday night, but has yet to unite the party, leaving a window of opportunity for either John Edwards or Joe Biden.

General Election Polling

Rudy Giuliani: 49%
Hillary Clinton: 46%

Joe Biden: 47%

John Edwards: 47%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #786 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 07:40:26 AM by NHI »

BREAKING NEWS: VP SHORTLIST REVEALED

Senator Bill Frist

Frm. Mayor and Presumptive Republican Nominee Rudy Giuliani

Secretary of State Colin Powell

The shortlist for Vice President has been revealed by the White House and on it includes the name of the three potential nominees: Majority Leader Bill Frist, Presumptive Republican Nominee and Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Secretary of State Colin Powell. Smart money is on either Giuliani or Powell getting the nod.

Some analyst believe nominating Giuliani as Vice President, would serve twofold. 1. Unite the Republican Party and more importantly 2. Give Giuliani a leg up in West Wing expertise that his Democratic candidates will lack.

The White House announce they will reveal their nominee within a week and send it to the Congress for Confirmation.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #787 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »

Rudy Giuliani Victory Speech

"Thank you all! The networks have just called the final states of the day and it looks like we did it! We won a majority of the states voting today, we ran away with the delegates, and we took home more votes than either of the other candidates! Just a few weeks ago pundits were saying my campaign was on the ropes, we were down for the count. Look at us now!

Senator Allen just called and conceded both the various primaries and the race all together, offering me his endorsement for President. I want to thank Senator Allen for his support and for putting up such a fight for the nomination. It is primaries that show were a candidate stands, how the candidate will handle under pressure, and who the candidate really is. I'm glad I had to fight for this nomination. As for Governor Johnson, he has also conceded race but chose not to endorse me. That's fine, he can have a go as a third-party candidate with Dennis Kucinich as his running mate! [laughs]

It is time that we move on to the general election, we start preparing to face the Democratic nominee - be it Senator Clinton, Senator Biden, or Senator Edwards. I've lead all of them in the polls by good margins and I am not afraid to face any of them. Bill Clinton said I'm Hillary's biggest fear. Well here I am, Hillary! The Republican Party must come together if we want to win in November. We have to energize voters, we have to get out the vote, we have to stand together. We cannot get weighed down in ideological disputes. If we do, we will not win.

There has been talk that I may be appointed Vice President, to succeed Vice President Cheney. Although my main focus is this campaign, I will serve my nation if President Bush calls on me to do so."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #788 on: May 26, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »

Democratic Nomination Polling: Post Super Tuesday

Hillary Clinton: 32%
Joe Biden: 29%
Undecided: 9%

Hillary Clinton: 37%
Joe Biden: 33%
John Edwards: 25%
Undecided: 5%

John Edwards: 31%
Hillary Clinton: 29%
Joe Biden: 28%
Undecided: 12%

John Edwards: 34%
Joe Biden: 28%
Undecided: 8%

John Edwards: 35%
Joe Biden: 27%
Undecided: 8%

Hillary Clinton: 32%
Joe Biden: 29%
Undecided: 9%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 12:37:07 PM by NHI »

Rhode Island Primary: Recount

BREAKING NEWS: HILLARY CLINTON PREVAILS IN RECOUNT

Rhode Island:
√ Hillary Clinton: 28.4% (21)
Joe Biden: 28.2%
John Edwards: 24.8%
Dennis Kucinich: 18.4%

Joe Biden's request for a recount in Rhode Island did not change the outcome, but Hillary Clinton ended up prevailing by a narrow margin (0.2%). The primary heads into the next phase, between Clinton, Biden and Edwards.

Hillary Clinton: 966
John Edwards: 650
Joe Biden: 378
Dennis Kucinich: 168

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #790 on: May 26, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

March 3, 2004 12:25 AM

Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York

First off, a big congratulations to Senator Edwards on his victories in Ohio and Georgia, to Senator Biden on his wins in Maryland and Massachusetts, and we bid a fond farewell to Representative Kucinich, who won Vermont last night, and has exceed everyone's wildest dreams. Other than Ohio, we have won all of the big states. Michigan, New York, California all are in our column, and if all goes according to plan on the ninth, so too will Florida and Texas. This nomination is ours for the taking, and we will take it.

Finally, I'd just like to add a bit of congratulations to my fellow New Yorker, Rudy Giuliani, who on this day became the presumptive Republican nominee. I look forward to making the Presidential race an all New-York affair, just like in 1944. 
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #791 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »

NHI, I believe you're supposed to add Kucinich's delegates to the total for Edwards since I've endorsed him.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #792 on: May 26, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »

NHI, I believe you're supposed to add Kucinich's delegates to the total for Edwards since I've endorsed him.
That's right, added. Thanks
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #793 on: May 26, 2014, 12:54:05 PM »

Excerpts from Good Morning Texas
on March 3, 2004 in Dallas, TX

QUESTION: So, you are coming off of two wins on Super Tuesday, but before that it seemed like you had the momentum. You'd won big on the two contests before, but couldn't overtake Hillary Clinton in the big state of California and John Edwards won in the medium-sized state Ohio. Some have speculated that you stretched yourself too thin, should have focused on the states you won and just California, or something else. So I have to ask, why are you still in this?

BIDEN: Matt, I've been a Senator for a while. (smiles) I was elected the year that Richard Nixon was reelected, and including our current President I've seen seven administrations come and go while I was representing my state in the Senate. I know how to work with people on both sides of the aisle on issues where we can find common ground. I will come into the White House with an experienced hand and clear vision of what a Presidency is capable of. I'm running because the average American didn't have a voice in this primary. That's where the support from my campaign started, and I've shown through the primary season that I can win in states all over the country. And I am confident that on March 9 the people of Texas will back our cause.

QUESTION: Rudy Giuliani recently became the presumptive Republican nominee. Do you see yourself nominating John Edwards, or another southern Democrat to be on the ticket with you, should you be the Democratic nominee?

BIDEN: First of all, I believe that voters of all stripes will know in November that they and I share values. Jill and I are devout Catholics, and my family has always been supremely important to me. I am firmly of the opinion that the nominee should be chosen by Democratic voters, and so I don't think it is seemly for any contender, with the field still divided such as it is, to be offering any sort of running mate options.

QUESTION: You seem confident that voters in the south would give you consideration of their vote, can you at least say you'd want to consider a Southern Democrat?

BIDEN: Regional balance is important for a ticket, but I'm focused on uniting the Democratic party around my candidacy. For years I have held the line on Social Security and Medicare, fought for a higher minimum wage, and can lead us through the challenges ahead in Iraq. That's why I'm still confident that the party will come to unify around my campaign.

Excerpts from Student Forums at UNT, Baylor, TA&M:CC, FSU, & UT
March 3 & 8, 2004, in Denton, Waco, Corpus Christi, Tallahassee, & Austin, respectively.

QUESTION: I read online that you talked about student loans and tuition at Yale, but it didn't quote what you actually said...

BIDEN: Right. Well I talked about two different areas where I would pursue progress to keep tuition from rising and make student loans more affordable.

There's a healthcare proposal being kicked around by some Democrats, that I support, and it could have a place in education as well. The way it works is for people's healthcare plans, we would require insurers to make sure that 80% of money Americans spend on healthcare goes directly and only to their medical care, limiting the often-inflated overhead costs from health insurance companies to 20%. I would support a similar requirement of accredited universities, that 80% of your tuition must be spent on hiring the best teachers and providing for you an education in the best facilities possible. This would in turn make sure universities do not spend student's money on superfluous administrative positions.

The other area for progress is to cut out the middle man for student loans. At present, those of you with student loans, you receive your loans through banks, who in turn receive grants from the Department of Education to support the loans. My plan would cut out the banks, who plus up their prices and apply gratuitous interest rates. We would also give college grads better repayment options, including being able to limit your payments to 10% of your monthly income.

And interest rates, let's talk about that for a minute. Banks borrow from the Federal Reserve with the lowest of all interest rates. It doesn't make sense to me that we give banks a break and charge students like you double. So there are a lot of things we can do to curb the cost of college and ensure that everybody can pursue the education they desire to achieve their American dream. These are absolutely measures that I will pursue in the White House. Thank you, great question.

QUESTION: Do you support medical marijuana, and why or why not?

BIDEN: Wow, I don't think anybody's asked a single candidate about that during this whole campaign. Yes, I do. Anybody here ever taken medicine and gotten some sort of side effect from it? (most people raise their hand)

Well, many cancer treatments give patients side effects that are most easily curbed with the use of medical marijuana. This medicine doesn't have the nasty side effects. But conventional medicine, the only option for cancer patients here in Texas, has all kinds of side effects that only serve to compound the suffering people are already enduring. If we can, in a safe and legal way, make that healing process better, then we absolutely need to do it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #794 on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »

TV Ad: The Candidate of Experience

JOE BIDEN (in button down, no tie, sleeves rolled up, light blue shirt with black backdrop): Hello. I'm Senator Joe Biden, the only candidate of experience in this Presidential primary race. In the Senate my work on successful legislation has swept criminals off our neighborhood streets, stopped the spread of "date rape" drugs, and secured arms control treaties with nations like Russia who were once our greatest and most dangerous rivals. Today we are in a dangerous world, and I know you'll see that it is my leadership on the issues of immediate importance to our national security, that I can pull us through. It's time to look forward and finally begin building the twenty-first century America. Together, we can. I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message [soft, heroic music]

TV Ad: Raise The Wage (New Version)

MALE FACTORY WORKER: An honest day's work.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: If it's 9 to 5.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: Or 2 to 10.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: It deserves an honest day's pay. That's why Joe Biden is going to raise the minimum wage. In the Senate, Joe Biden made our neighborhoods safer with the Biden Crime Law.
WOMAN IN OFFICE: He wrote the Violence Against Women Act, and made sure it was signed into law.
FEMALE COLLEGE STUDENT: He passed restrictions that stopped the spread of date rape drugs.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: And he's a true Democrat. Of all the candidates he is the only one supported by the League of Conservation Voters-
FEMALE COLLEGE STUDENT: The National Education Association-
MALE FACTORY WORKER: -and the United Automobile Autoworkers. So of all the candidates asking for our vote, we know we can count on Joe-
WOMAN IN OFFICE: - to raise the wage.
30-YEAR OLD CASHIER: -  to raise the wage.
MALE FACTORY WORKER: -  to raise the wage.

IMAGE: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #795 on: May 26, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for March 3rd-9th, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Theodore Olson
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster: Mike DuHaime

March 3rd, 2004; Washington, D.C.
-- Fundraiser in Washington, D.C. with Sen. Frist, Spkr. Hastert, and Gov. Ehrlich
-- Private Affairs in Washington, D.C.
-- Fly to Utah

March 4th, 2004; Utah
-- Fundraiser in Salt Lake City, UT
-- Meeting with Gov. Olene Walker in Salt Lake City, UT
-- Tour Rice-Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, UT
-- Drive to Nevada

March 5th, 2004; Nevada
-- Barnstorm in Las Vegas, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain
-- Fundraiser with Sheldon Adelson and Gov. Guinn in Las Vegas, NV
-- Barnstorm in Henderson, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain
-- Barnstorm in Mesquite, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain

March 6th, 2004; Nevada
-- Barnstorm in Carson City, NV with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Barnstorm in Reno, NV with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Barnstorm in Sparks, NV with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Visit John Ascuaga's Nugget Hotel & Casino with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Fly to Virginia

March 7th, 2004; Virginia
-- Appearance on Fox News Sunday
-- Appearance on Face the Nation
-- Appearance on Meet the Press
-- Appearance on This Week
-- Appearance on Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer
-- Fundraiser in Arlington, VA with Sen. Allen and Sen. Alexander

March 8th, 2004; Virginia
-- Private Meeting with Sen. Allen in Norfolk, VA
-- Barnstorm in Norfolk, VA with Sen. Allen
-- Tour Naval Station Norfolk with Sen. Allen
-- Barnstorm in Virginia Beach, VA with Sen. Allen
-- Drive to Washington, D.C.

March 9th, 2004; Washington, D.C.
-- Private Meeting with Sec. Rumsfeld in Washington, D.C.
-- Private Meeting with Vice President Cheney at George Washington University Hospital
-- Lunch with Republican National Committee Officials at the Hotel Monaco-Washington, D.C.
-- Private Meeting with President Bush in Washington, D.C.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #796 on: May 26, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »

Giuliani Surrogates, March 3rd-9th, 2004

Gov. George Pataki
Barnstorming in New Hampshire

Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Fundraising in New York

Senator John McCain
Barnstorming in Nevada

Governor Angus King
Barnstorming in Maine

Fmr. First Lady Nancy Reagan
Fundraising in Florida

Senator George Voinovich
Barnstorming in Ohio

Mr. Sheldon Adelson
Fundraising in Nevada

Former President Jerry Ford
Fundraising in Michigan

Governor Terry Branstad
Barnstorming in Iowa

Senator Kit Bond
Barnstorming in Missouri

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt
Barnstorming in Missouri

Mr. John Elway
Barnstorming in Missouri

Senator Norm Coleman
Barnstorming in Wisconsin

Governor Pete Wilson
Barnstorming in Nevada

Former Vice President Dan Quayle
Fundraising in Indiani

Former Senator Howard Baker
Barnstorming in Virginia

Senator Lamar Alexander
Barnstorming in Virginia

House Speaker Dennis Hastert
Barnstorming in Virginia and Maryland

Former Senator Fred Thompson
Barnstorming in Virginia

Senator Larry Pressler
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor John Hoeven
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor Mike Rounds
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Barnstorming in Nevada

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jack Kemp
Barnstorming in Michigan

Senator Bob Dole
Barnstorming in Florida

General Norman Schwarzkopf
Barnstorming in Ohio

International Association of Fire Fighters
Voter Registration Rallies in Florida

Senator Connie Mack III
Barnstorming in Florida

Dick Cheney
Private Affairs

Kay Bailey Hutchison
Barnstorming in Florida

Linda Lingle
Barnstorming in Nevada

Kenny Guinn
Barnstorming in Nevada

Mary Matalin
Campaign Duties

Larry Craig
Barnstorming in Nevada

Bill Owens
Private Affairs

Paul Cellucci

John H. Sununu

John Ensign
Barnstorming in Nevada

Tom Petri
Barnstorming in Wisconsin

Mike DeWine
Barnstorming in Ohio

Donald Carcieri

George H.W. Bush
Barnstorming and Fundraising in Florida

Tim Pawlenty
Barnstorming in Michigan

Rod Grams
Barnstorming in Michigan

Wayne Gilchrest
Barnstorming in Virginia

Bob Taft
Barnstorming in Ohio

Bob Ehrlich
Barnstorming in Virginia

Bill Frist
Barnstorming in Virginia

George Allen
Barnstorming in Virginia
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #797 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »

New Clinton Endorsements

Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun

Congressman Rahm Emanuel

Former Chief of Staff Leon Panetta

Former Congressman Lee Hamilton

Former Congressman Timothy Roemer

Governor Kathleen Blanco

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin

Lieutenant Governor Mitch Landrieu

Former Governor Mark White

Former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk

Governor Mike Easley

Former Governor Jim Hunt
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #798 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:54 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 03:26:24 PM by Senator Meiji (D-NC) »

New Clinton Endorsements

Congressman Rahm Emanuel

Governor Kathleen Blanco

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin

Lieutenant Governor Mitch Landrieu

Former Governor Mark White

Former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk

Governor Mike Easley

Former Governor Jim Hunt

12 is a ridiculous amount of endorsements. Is Easley begging for a primary challenge?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #799 on: May 26, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »

New Clinton Endorsements

Congressman Rahm Emanuel

Governor Kathleen Blanco