2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154460 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:54 AM »

Biden Surrogates

Governor Mario Cuomo
Stating support for Senator Biden after Biden's speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate
Barnstorm and GOTV in Illinois

Senator Mark Warner
Stating support for Senator Biden after Biden's speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate
Barnstorm and GOTV in Kansas

Senator Arlen Specter
Barnstorm and GOTV in Illinois

Senator Olympia Snowe
Working as Senator

Senator Jay Rockefeller
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas

Senator Maria Cantwell
Working in D.C.

Sen. Max Clealand
Barnstorming and GOTV in downstate Illinois

Sen. Max Baucus
Working in Montana

Sen. Mark Dayton
Barnstorming and GOTV in upstate Illinois

Sen. Daniel Inoyue
Working in D.C.

Gov. Jerry Brown
Fundraising in Oakland, Sacramento, & San Diego

Rep. Ben Chandler

Sen. Herb Kohl
Barnstorming and GOTV in Illinois

Sen. Ted Kennedy

Mayor Marion Barry
Barnstorming and GOTV in Chicago

Vincent C. Gray, candidate for Ward 7 City Council
Campaigning for City Council

Mayor Anthony A. Williams

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick
GOTV in Chicago

Rep. Tammy Baldwin
Barnstorming & GOTV in Illinois

Rep. Betty McCollum
Fundraising in Twin Cities

Rep. Martin Olav Sabo
Fundraising in Twin Cities

Rep. Barbara Lee

Rep. Henry Waxman
Working in D.C.

Mayor James Hahn
Fundraising in Los Angeles

Sen. Jack Reed

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy
Working in Rhode Island

Rep. Jim Langevin
Working in D.C.

Rep. Ed Markey
Speaking on House floor, March 10
Asked not to surrogate for Senator Biden this week

Rep. Richard Neal

Rep. Ted Strickland

Sen. Paul Sarbanes
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas, Illinois after March 13

Gov. Ann Richards
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas, Illinois after March 13

Rep. Lloyd Doggett
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas, Chicago after March 13

Rep. Gene Taylor
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas, downstate Illinois after March 13

Rep. Bennie Thompson
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas, downstate Illinois after March 13

State Sen. Barack Obama
Barnstorming in Illinois (when not campaigning w/ Sen. Biden)

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee

Rev. Al Sharpton
Barnstorming and GOTV in Illinois (when not campaigning w/ Sen. Biden)

Sen. Jesse Jackson

Carol Moseley Braun, former Senator from Illinois

Anthony Hensley, State Senator from Kansas & Minority Leader of the Kansas Senate
Barnstorming and GOTV in Kansas (when not campaigning w/ Sen. Biden)

Bobby Rush, Representative from the 1st congressional district of Illinois

Jesse Jackson Jr., Representative from the 2nd congressional district of Illinois

Luis Gutierrez, Representative from the 4th congressional district of Illinois

Rahm Emanuel, Representative from the 5th congressional district of Illinois
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #851 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:22 AM »

TV Ad: The Candidate of Experience

JOE BIDEN (in button down, no tie, sleeves rolled up, light blue shirt with black backdrop): Hello. I'm Senator Joe Biden, the only candidate of experience in this Presidential primary race. In the Senate my work on successful legislation has swept criminals off our neighborhood streets, stopped the spread of "date rape" drugs, and secured arms control treaties with nations like Russia who were once our greatest and most dangerous rivals. Today we are in a dangerous world, and I know you'll see that it is my leadership on the issues of immediate importance to our national security, that I can pull us through. It's time to look forward and finally begin building the twenty-first century America. Together, we can. I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message [soft, heroic music]

TV Ad: Unity

FEMALE VOICE OVER: Only one candidate in the Democratic primary can truly bring unity to the party. And that candidate is Senator Joe Biden. Joe's a proven, effective leader with a history of getting things done in Congress. We know that as President he'll do the same. In seeking endorsements during this primary, Senator Biden has already united three core constituencies of our party: The League of Conservation Voters, The National Education Association, and the United Automobile Autoworkers. Joe is a proud union man, who will raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour and ensure that tipped workers, the people we as Americans interact with every week, don't get left behind. And with the threat of terror abroad, Senator Biden has a proven record of securing arms control treaties from nations that were once our most dangerous rivals. He can do that again and secure peace in the land, both foreign and domestic. So on [Month, Date]*, cast your primary vote for Senator Joe Biden.

IMAGE: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

* the ad states the date of the primary based on which state it is playing in, to ensure accuracy and successful GOTV on the various election days.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #852 on: June 02, 2014, 02:32:51 AM »

Statement from Senator Joseph Biden's Senate Office
March 10, 2004; 3:23pm

On Thursday, March 11, Senator Biden will speak at a press conference at Capitol hill at 4:00pm, and has secured 30 minutes to speak on the Senate floor about the Vice Presidential nomination of Rudy Giuliani.

Statement from Biden Campaign
March 10, 2004; 6:00pm

Today, Mayor Rudy Giuliani finally caved to the public outcry against his blatant opposition to hardworking Americans and raising the minimum wage. But while millions were disappointed by Giuliani's silence, millions more can now be disappointed by the lukewarm proposal he announced today after being pressured by Senator Biden to finally make a statement on this vital issue. The Giuliani plan announced today imposes massive federal mandates on small businesses that is simply not part of the American way of life we hold dear. Big City Mayors should not be allowed to become Big Government Presidents, and that is why Senator Biden will stand for the everyman in the 2004 Presidential election, supporting a real minimum wage raise and protecting the American public from Giuliani's big government mandates.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #853 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:56 AM »

Surrogate

March 10, 2004; 10:58am D.C.
-Speaking on House floor:
"Am I the only one who sees this? This nomination is a blatant power grab by the Republican Inteligencia. And I will not stand by while President Bush, a war criminal who has caused the deaths of hundreds of American sons and daughters, he is using the convenient absence of a Vice President to influence the voters. The political catch-22 is that this administration will surely call me unpatriotic for saying this, for opposing their precious Vice Presidential pick during a time of war and terror. Phooey. I will exercise my first amendment right to call out this psuedo-dicatotorship move by George W. Bush and Rudy Giuliani."
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #854 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:19 AM »

Biden Campaign Schedule (1)

March 10, 2004 Kansas
Issues Pushed: Raise the minimum wage, strong & experienced leader, devout Catholic, protect Social Security, Medicare, & Medicaid from Republican corruption.

-9:00am - Meet & Greet in Topeka with volunteers, State Sen. Anthony Hensley.
-10:00am - Press Conference in Topeka w/ Sen. Hensley. State Senator Anthony Hensley endorses Senator Biden for President
-11:45am - Student Forum at University of Kansas
-1:30pm - Town Hall in Lawrence
-3:15pm - Town Hall in Olathe
-4:45pm - Rally in Shawnee
-6:15pm - Town Hall in Overland Park
-7:30pm - Rally in Overland Park

(Local affiliates invited to every stop.)

March 11, 2004 Delaware, D.C., & Illinois
Issues Pushed: Raise the minimum wage, professionalism, patriotism, honor, duty, economic and political empowerment.

-8:00am-1:00pm - Working at Wilmington Senate office, meeting constituents
-1:30-3:00pm - Amtrak from Wilmington to D.C.
-4:00pm - Press Conference in D.C. on SB 802
-5:30pm - Speaking on Senate floor about nomination of Mayor Rudy Giuliani
-6:30-8:30pm - (becomes 7:30pm due to time zone change), fly to Chicago
-8:00pm - Speech at Rainbow/PUSH headquarters in Chicago, w/ Rev. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, State Sen. Barack Obama, Rep. Bobby Ruh, Jesse Jackson Jr.,  Luis Gutierrez, & Rahm Emanuel, & Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun.
-9:00pm – Fundraiser at Rainbow/PUSH headquarters in Chicago, w/ Rev. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, State Sen. Barack Obama, Rep. Bobby Ruh, Jesse Jackson Jr.,  Luis Gutierrez, & Rahm Emanuel, & Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #855 on: June 02, 2014, 02:44:44 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 02:50:46 AM by badgate »

Excerpt from D.C. Press Conference

REPORTER 1: Rudy Giuliani proposed his own minimum wage bill yesterday here in D.C. You have been credited with making this an issue in the 2004 election, what do you think of Giuliani's plan and why should voters favor you and your plan?

BIDEN: Yes, I saw his plan. Can you call it that? I suppose. Well, I was disappointed. Like any hardworking American would be in Mayor Giuliani's plan, I was disappointed. The implementation of his bill, for one, gives way to unnecessary federal mandates on businesses working their hardest to successfully implement the raise. Should we be surprised? Big city mayor, makes since he will be a big government president. My plan allows businesses to have more flexibility in implementing the raise, and mine has been scored by the CBO. Using concrete economic data, we determined that $7.25 would be attainable by American businesses and have the best positive economic impact in consumer spending and concurrent job creation. Say we wanted it to go higher. Businesses would struggle too much, the positive effects would be less. Mayor Giuliani aims lower for the phony appearance of moderation, but in truth he is simply doing single mothers and everyday Americans a disservice and refusing them a fair wage. That's why I am back in D.C. today. Since introducing SB802 to the Senate, its support has grown day by day. I am here to announce we are ready to push the Senate committee to vote on the bill.

REPORTER 2: Senator, did you hear what Rep. Ed Markey-

BIDEN: -I am speaking about the nomination of Rudy Giulaini on the Senate floor later today. This press conference is to talk about the struggling, hardworking Americans that will prosper when we raise the wage. You?

REPORTER 3: Rep. Markey said some inflammatory-

BIDEN: -Today, four Illinois Congressmen have endorsed my campaign for President, and supported SB802's House companion. The support for our movement grows day by day. Thank you.

REPORTER 4: Ed Markey endorsed you! What do you have to say?

BIDEN: ...If you really want to know, turn on CSPAN. I'll be speaking on the Senate floor shortly.

20 minutes later, in the U.S. Senate chamber...
Statement of U.S. Senate floor

BIDEN: Good afternoon my fellow Senators. I rise today to address the statements made by our colleague in the House, Representative Ed Markey of Massachusetts, as well as the nomination by President George Bush of New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani to the office of Vice President.

With the weariness of war setting in, and a clearly present threat in the War on Terror, it is flat out abominable to politicize the democratic constitutional process that lay before us. We do not yet know when the House of Representatives or the Senate will vote on this confirmation.

I believe that we have a duty in this time of war to ensure that the order of succession is concrete and safely secure by democratic means. The American people expect that of us. Were it President Gore today, nominating a new Vice President, they would expect that of the Republican party.

That Representative Markey would politicize this is disappointing, but I have never shied away from saying what is right no matter the phony political fallout. And I can not stand on the floor of this hallowed chamber and not speak honestly, from the heart. I disagree, adamantly, with Representative Markey's claims, his too-harsh words, and his decision to politicize this. And so I say to my own party that we can not politicize this if we expect the American people to take us seriously and trust us to represent their values and interests.

Now, I am clear that I will be a strong choice in November. However the Democratic primary is not yet over. At the moment the Senate vote is called, should neither I nor Senator John Edwards have the delegates to be nominated by our party, I will vote to secure the order of succession. However it is important to me that our government be more transparent in the coming years. Should I be the presumptive Democratic nominee, I will abstain from the confirmation vote. This decision is made out of respect for the American people, who deserve transparency from all public servants.

Thank you. Mr. President, I yield the floor.

Excerpt from Senator Biden's speech at Rainbow/PUSH

It is an honor to be here today, surrounded by so many brilliant leaders. Thank you, Mr. Jesse Jackson, for the honor of your endorsement and inviting me to speak here at Rainbow/PUSH headquarters.

I have been on the stump in this campaign for months now, traveling far and wide across every state to meet voters of all stripes and struggle. Everywhere I see, is a tale of two cities. A city of riches and ease, and a city of suffering and yearning. The first city is those unaffected by the massive appropriations made to support the war in Iraq. This city houses those who vote without worry, who pay rent without sacrifice, and receive education of the highest quality. This city is far off in the distance, and gets farther the more we march toward it.

The second city is infinitely harder, yet infinitely better. It is the country all around us. Everywhere, the people of this city yearn to learn, to break free of economic shambles and institutional suppression. If they vote, they are questioned. If they work they are cheated. If they go to school they are given educational leftovers. There is struggling and pain, but hope all the same.

It is that hope that I fight for every day in this campaign and will fight for every day in the White House. To see our working Americans paid a fair wage, and working on a level playing field. To make voting an instinct, not an inconvenience. These are the values I hold to myself when determining what objectives to pursue. I hope you will agree that in 2004, we can't sit down and wait four more years. It is time to stand up. Time to fight.

In this campaign for President, I need all the allies I can get. The moneyed interest on Wall Street don't want us to win. It is only by empowering the populace, as Rainbow/PUSH has for years all over the world, that we can see a President elected that will fight for the fair shake everyone, every single man woman and child in America, the fair shake that everyone deserves. The Democratic party needs to come together, and fast, to ensure the American people hear our message loud, and clear, undistorted by the pundits or right-wing media machine. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your support, and your vibrant surrogacy, speaking to your friends and neighbors about the importance and the issues of my campaign.

Two days from now, Kansas will caucus to determine who their delegates will support at the convention. And in less than a week, Illinois will vote. So if you are prepared to stand with me, to fight for every American, stand up! Everybody, rise! And let us march onward to the city we know we one day can be!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #856 on: June 02, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »

Biden Campaign Schedule (2)

March 12, 2004 Kansas
Issues Pushed: Raise the minimum wage, economic & political empowerment, strong & experienced leader, devout Catholic, protect Social Security, Medicare, & Medicaid from Republican corruption.

-9:30am - Meet & Greet in Wichita with volunteers
-10:00am - Town Hall in Wichita
-11:00am - Rally in Wichita
-1:40pm - Town Hall in Salina
-2:30pm - GOTV in Salina
-4:45pm - Town Hall in Manhattan
-5:45pm - GOTV in Manhattan
-8:00pm - Interview with WIBW 13 News (covering Topkea, Manhattan, & Emporia areas)

March 13, 2004 Kansas
Issues Pushed: Raise the minimum wage, economic & political empowerment, strong & experienced leader, devout Catholic, protect Social Security, Medicare, & Medicaid from Republican corruption.

-9:00am - Meet & Green in Overland Park w/ volunteers from Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Shawnee, Kansas City, and Bonner Springs.
-10:00am - GOTV in Overland Park
-11:00am - GOTV in Kansas City
-12:30pm - GOTV in Lawrence
-1:30pm - GOTV at KU
-3:00pm - GOTV in Topeka
-4:00-5:00pm - Fly from Topeka to Wichita
-5:30pm - GOTV in Wichita
-7:00-9:00pm - Fly from Wichita to Chicago

March 14, 2004 Illinois
Issues Pushed: Raise the minimum wage, economic & political empowerment, protect Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid from Republican corruption, bring home our troops & clean up the mess in Iraq.

-8:45am - Meet & Greet in Tinley Park with volunteers from everywhere in IL-1, w/ Rep. Bobby Rush
-9:30am - Town Hall in Tinley Park w/ Rep. Bobby Rush
-10:30am - Rally in Oak Forest, w/ Rep. Bobby Rush. Rep. Bobby Rush endorses Senator Biden for President
-11:50am - Rally in Blue Island, w/ Rep. Bobby Rush
-1:00pm - Rally in Harvey, w/ Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. & Jesse Jackson. Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. endorses Senator Biden for President
-2:15pm - Town Hall in Chicago Heights, w/ Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. & Jesse Jackson
-4:00pm - Town Hall in Calumet City, w/ Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. & Jesse Jackson
-5:30pm - Rally in Chicago, w/ Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Jesse Jackson, Jr., Bobby Rush, & Rahm Emanuel, State Sen. Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & Carol Moseley Braun. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Rep. Rahm Emanuel, State Sen. Barack Obama, & Sen. Carol Moseley Braun endorse Senator Biden for President
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Cicero, w/ Rep. Luis Gutierrez
-8:30pm - Meet & Greet with IL-4 volunteers after phone bank, w/ Rep. Gutierrez
-9:30pm - Meet & Greet with IL-5 volunteers after phone bank, w/ Rep. Emanuel

March 15, 2004 Illinois
Issues pushed: Raise the minimum wage, bring home our troops and clean up the mess in Iraq, experienced candidate who will get things done. ENDA. Protect SS, Medicare & Medicaid

-8:45am - Meet & Greet in Peoria with volunteers from Peoria, Peoria Heights, Bartonville, Pekin, & Morton, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-9:30am - Town Hall in Peoria, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-10:30am - Rally in Peoria, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-12:45pm - Rally in Springfield, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-2:45pm - Town Hall in Litchfield, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-4:20pm - Rally in Edwardsville, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-5:45pm - Town Hall in Collinsville, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-7:30pm - Town Hall in Alton, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.

March 16, 2004 Illinois
Issues pushed: Raise the minimum wage, bring home our troops and clean up the mess in Iraq, experienced candidate who will get things done. ENDA. Protect SS, Medicare & Medicaid

-8:00am - Appearance on Good Day Chicago, filmed at affiliate's Springfield studio.
-9:00am - GOTV in Springfield, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-11:30am - GOTV in Peoria, w/ State Sen. Barack Obama & Sen. Moseley Braun.
-12:30-1:15pm - Fly from Peoria to Chicago
-1:45pm - Rally in Chicago, w/ Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Jesse Jackson, Jr., Bobby Rush, State Sen. Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & Carol Moseley Braun.
-2:45pm - GOTV in IL-1, w/ Rep. Bobby Rush, State Sen. Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & Carol Moseley Braun.
-4:00pm - GOTV in IL-2, w/ Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr., State Sen. Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & Carol Moseley Braun.
-5:30pm - GOTV in IL-4, w/ Rep. Luis Gutierrez, State Sen. Barack Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & Carol Moseley Braun.

Excerpt from Town Halls, GOTV, & Rally

Thank you for coming here today to hear what I have to say about the future of a country we all love, the United States of America. I know some of you may have come because your vote has not yet been committed in this coming primary/caucus. I respect that and hope you will listen to my record, the actions I have taken on behalf of Democratic causes my whole life, and the potential future we can build together, starting by winning this primary/caucus.

In the Senate I've been a leader on issues concerning our national security, including negotiating international arms control treaties and chairing the Senate committee on Foreign Relations. I am currently the top ranking Democrat on that committee. When the SALT treaty for arms control fell apart in the late 70s, I personally met with Russia's Foreign Minister and worked out a compromise so that our world would be safer. I stood up against President Reagan's attempts to violate the second SALT treaty, and again against Reagan's dangerously conservative Supreme Court nominees. In 1994 the President signed a sweeping crime bill into law that was drafted by my office. In that same year I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act, making sure America is a safe haven from gender-based hate crimes.

I support raising the minimum wage and indexing it to our inflation rate to ensure the hardworking among us are not left behind. I have introduced this law in to the Senate, and in a matter of days, my leadership inspired Senator Edwards to follow my lead in support of raising the wage. While I truly, deeply appreciate his support for my bill...look, I believe the President should be a leader, first and foremost.

That is why I am also out front on the need for an ongoing discussion about the issue of medical marijuana. Too many cancer patients suffer double from the side effects of legal medication; side effects that don't exist under a medical marijuana prescription. We can surely find a way to legally implement this and keep the drug, like all legal drugs, out of the wrong hands.

And I've proposed new measures to lower college tuition and make student loans more accessible and affordable, to ensure that anybody who wants to pursue an education has the opportunity. We will make sure that 80% of tuition fees goes directly to things for students; forcing universities to do away with superfluous fee hikes, administrative redundancies and legacy posts. We will cut out the big bank middle men in the student loan process, and ensure that loan repayment for a college graduate reflects their income so that it is not a burden to those just starting their careers.

The challenges we face in the next four years are not insurmountable. We can end the war in Iraq and fulfill the responsibilities expected of a global leader by holding fair and free elections and stabilizing their government. We can restore the international prestige of our name. We can raise the minimum wage so that work pays fairly and ensure the work place is a level playing field. But "can" is for the runners up. Vote for me, and we will.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #857 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »

John Edwards Campaign Schedule: March 10-16, 2004

Thank you, Florida! And thank you, Louisiana! With your help, we’re once again the big leader in the delegate count! Congratulations to Senator Biden on his wins, and congratulations to Mayor Giuliani on his nomination. I agree with Senator Biden that, should I be the presumptive nominee, I will also abstain from the confirmation vote. Now, for us, it’s on to Kansas and Illinois. I’m confident they’ll make the right choice. Thank y’all!

March 10, 2004: Kansas Cityland
Rally in Overland Park with Rep. Dennis Moore and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (announcing endorsements)

Town hall in Olathe with Rep. Dennis Moore and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Meet and greet in Lenexa with Rep. Dennis Moore
Meet and greet in Leavenworth

March 11, 2004: Kansas
Town hall in Lawrence with Rep. Dennis Moore and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Meet and greet in Baldwin City with Rep. Dennis Moore
Rally in Topeka with Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Meet and greet in Emporia

Too often, the problems of rural America are forgotten by politicians living and working in Washington. Many rural areas are struggling: rural families earn 27 percent less than other families and 244 of the poorest 250 counties are rural. Struggling family farms are a challenge for small towns. As young people move away to find opportunity, rural communities are turning into ghost towns. As a native of a small rural town, John Edwards knows that America cannot turn its back on rural areas. Small towns and rural areas are the keepers of American values like family, work, community, and freedom. America depends on rural communities for a strong manufacturing base, reliable and affordable food, and increasingly for clean energy as well. To make sure they share in our prosperity, we must fight corporate greed and turn the tables on runaway economic disparity. That’s why I’ve outlined my plan to restore economic fairness and create new jobs and businesses in rural America, help struggling counties and towns, and protect the rural people and their way of life.

As President, I’ll create the Rural Economic Advancement Challenge, or REACH Fund, to bring capital and management to small town America. This would help connect investors with rural entrepreneurs, organize businesses into networks to help them succeed together, and ensure that y’all can have access to the investment capital y’all need. Part of the reason we’re lacking is because rural communities have fewer bank branches and more high-cost mortgages, which is why I’ll strengthen the Community Reinvestment Act to prevent banks from discriminating against rural areas. I’ll also help create new markets for what’s being produced here - by requiring all new cars to run on both gasoline and E85 ethanol, requiring 25% of chain gas stations to carry E85, and supporting E20 and E30 fuels; and improve our quality of life by establishing a national broadband map to help identify where broadband isn’t available at a reasonable price and speed. Finally, I’ll rewrite the rules for the Ag Department’s rural development funds, which right now are flowing into noted farming communities like Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. We’ll rewrite those rules to make sure they flow to where they need to go - and we’ll simplify the grant application to make sure every town that deserves it gets it. The difference between myself and Senator Biden isn’t that one of us is a centrist and the other a liberal, or anything about who’d be a better general election candidate: the difference is that I’m here, running as the candidate of small town America.

March 12, 2004: Kansas
Meet and greet in Pittsburg
Town hall in Manhattan with Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Meet and greet in Hays

Senator, I’m a hog farmer. What’ll you do to help me?
Great question. I realize that rules are stacked against our family farms. That’s why I’ll strictly enforce laws against anticompetitive mergers, unfair pricing, and country-of-origin laws. To get directly to your question, I’ll enact a strong national ban on packer ownership to stop the spread of large corporate hog interests and create a national moratorium on the construction and expansion of hog farm lagoons. I’ll also limit farm subsidies to $250,000 per person, close loopholes in payment limits, and expand conservation programs, all of which will work to help family farmers.

But since you bring it up, I’d also like to talk about clean water - I plan to establish tough clean air and water requirements for concentrated animal feeding operations, and I’ll work with local areas to tackle local pollution problems. That’s another major problem we’re having - rural households are four times more likely than urban ones to have access to clean water.

Senator, what about meth abuse? Do you have a position on that?
I believe meth abuse is a devastating curse and it’s something I’ll work to rid America of. I’ll invest in enforcing drug laws in rural areas and help states make meth ingredients more difficult to get - those are important steps. But it’s also important to help people who are already addicted. I want to expand programs, like the Residential Substance Abuse Treatment program for prisoners, that have a record of successfully treating addicts.

Senator, you’re a Democrat. Are you going to take our guns?
My answer to that is a flat no. I grew up in small-town America, and I know that hunting and gun ownership is a way of life. Law-abiding citizens have the right to defend their families, and we have a long American tradition of hunting. I’ll protect your right to participate in gun shows, an important source of economic activity. I think we can work to close the gun show loophole, have an instant check on every gun sold, without infringing on their ability to generate revenue, but no, I don’t support taking your guns. I’m firmly committed to protecting your Second Amendment rights.

March 13, 2004: Final push in Wichita
Meet and greet in Winfield
GOTV in Wichita with Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
Rally in Wichita with Gov. Kathleen Sebelius

Senator, what are you doing to help us on education?
Well, in my home state of North Carolina, the majority of our kids are in rural schools, as are 40 percent of American children - yet rural schools only get 22 percent of federal education funding. Small schools often also struggle to attract and retain teachers. So what I’ll do is increase pay for teachers in hard-to-staff schools to attract more quality teachers, and offer scholarships to college students who commit to teach in underserved schools after graduation. I’lll also invest in cutting-edge research to integrate new teaching tools to bring the content of the world’s best universities, libraries and museums to rural America through software programs, which will dramatically accelerate learning.

Senator, how will you improve our health care?
Over the past 25 years, 470 rural hospitals have closed. Rural counties have only one-fourth as many doctors and one-sixth as many specialists per capita and face critical gaps in trauma care. My plan for universal health care will cover the 9 million rural Americans that lack insurance and establish a nationwide network of safety net clinics and public hospitals. I’ll also rewrite the unfair Medicare and Medicaid funding formulas that punish rural states and communities, and I’ll support investments in telemedicine to instantaneously connect distant specialists and advanced equipment with local doctors and patients, allowing better monitoring, chronic disease management, and emergency response.

Overall, it’s important to remember that child poverty rates in rural areas are higher than in urban areas - and that’s for every ethnic group. The highest child poverty rates are in the most isolated rural areas. To eliminate poverty nationwide within 30 years, I’ll raise the minimum wage, cut taxes on low-wage workers, help workers save and invest, and expand affordable houses. And that’s going to have the greatest impact on helping communities like this one.

March 14, 2004: Illinois
Meet and greet in Bourbonnais
Town hall in Champaign with Sen. Dick Durbin (announcing endorsement)

Meet and greet in Danville with Rep. David Phelps and Rep. Glenn Poshard (announcing endorsements)

Meet and greet in Charleston with Rep. David Phelps and Rep. Glenn Poshard

March 15, 2004: Illinois
Town hall in Carbondale with Rep. Jerry Costello and Sen. Dick Durbin (announcing endorsement)

Meet and greet in Edwardsville
Town hall in Quincy with Sen. Dick Durbin
Meet and greet in Macomb

March 16, 2004: Illinois
Rally in Springfield with Rep. Glenn Poshard and Sen. Dick Durbin
Town hall in Normal with Sen. Dick Durbin
Rally in Peoria with Sen. Dick Durbin
Meet and greet in Rock Island
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #858 on: June 02, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »

New TV ad: Milk

[John talking in a town hall]: The very idea that people at the top of Enron steal millions and millions of dollars, their employees lose their jobs, investors lose all their money. 
And how many of those people have gone to jail?  I mean really.
[Text: The Edwards Plan: Crack down on corporate corruption]
Somebody goes down to the grocery store and steals half a gallon of milk, they end up in jail, but here we go with George Bush's friends get in trouble, they don't go to jail. 
[Text: The Edwards Plan: Protect all investors]
We need to act to put the law back on the side of the American people and not have the law be on the side of special interests.
I'm John Edwards and I approve this message.

New TV ad: Hometown

[John on a street in Robbins, NC]: This is where I grew up.  A place where values like hard work, family, faith, and community matter. They still do. But today our small towns and rural areas are hurting, and Washington doesn't seem to care. I'm John Edwards, and I'm running for President with a detailed plan to bring new jobs and opportunity to small towns, to improve rural schools and access to first rate health care. I approved this message because I want to keep the American Dream alive -- in every hometown.

This pair of ads is set to run in the highlighted states (only downstate Illinois), as well as the Virgin Islands and Guam.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #859 on: June 02, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

GOTV Strategy/Talking Points

In Kansas, Senator Biden has not done well in the endorsements game. Therefore, three full days have been devoted to an emphasis of the Senator's strength on the stump, and while the Democratic Minority Leader represents a small part of the state, he has significant power over his caucus. Sen. Hensley has pressed his caucus, those who support Senator Biden personally, to ensure a strong GOTV in their districts.

Senator Biden campaigned thoroughly in three significant, reliably Democratic districts in the Chicago area of Illinois. An entire day was also devoted to downstate, where Senator Biden's appeal to blue collars and speech on the stump will hopefully keep him competitive with Edwards in the region.

The campaign has recruited volunteer teams in the following cities of Texas: Chicago, IL-1, IL-2, IL-4, IL-5, Peoria, Springfield, Champaign, Alton, Bloomington, & Decatur. In Kansas, there are volunteer teams working in Kansas City, Overland Park, Wichita, Topeka, Lawrence, on campus at KU, Shawnee, Olathe, Lenexa, Bonner Springs, Salina, & Manhattan.

Volunteer teams have held phone banks on week nights, from 6pm to 9pm, and block walks on Saturdays from 11am to 3pm and Sundays from 2pm to 5pm. Phone banks averaged 9 attendees, with an average of 789 dials and a 18% conversation rate. Block Walks averaged 7 attendees, with an average of 648 doors knocked and a 29% conversation rate.

At these events volunteers persuaded undecided voters, made the case for Biden to committed Clinton and Edwards voters, and closer to March 9 the events also had GOTV purposes. Registered voters who had previously voted in a Democratic primary were called or reached door-to-door, and provided with their voting place and literature promoting Senator Joe Biden for President.

The campaign has relieved some field organizers because the coming states are more spread out. Field organizers are currently allocated thusSad/center]

Kansas:
-2 in Wichita metro
-1 in Topeka metro
-1 in Kansas City metro
-1 in Lawrence/KU metro

Illinois
-1 in IL-1
-1 in IL-2
-1 in IL-4
-1 in IL-5
-1 covering everywhere else in Chicago
-1 in Peoria/Springfiald
-1 in St. Louis suburbs

Talking Points: If asked about Rep. Markey's remarks, refer people to Senator Biden's floor speech. Senator Biden believes that he was standing up to a fringe element of his party, and making it clear that he disagreed. We do not expect many voters to bring this up; reporters, however, will.

Surrogates in the states that are voting on March 13 or 16 have been tasked with appealing to their connections in the state or district to get out the county machines for Biden.

Surrogates are also asked to make the case that Joe Biden is the best candidate against Rudy Giuliani. This is the crucial contrast. Despite Giuliani's experience as a Mayor, the events of 9/11 put him on a higher national stage and Edwards will be severely vulnerable to criticisms of inexperience against him. Biden, however, is immune and can match or possibly exceed Giuliani on foreign policy. Biden's appeal to the working class, as well, will make him more competitive against Giuliani who seems aloof and bums out evangelical voters.

Mayor Giuliani gave us a gift on March 10 as well: a watered-down minimum wage proposal. This is an opportunity to draw a clear contrast between Biden and Giuliani, and successfully doing that will subtly reinforce that Senator Biden should be the Democratic nominee. Specifically, Senator Biden has stressed his plan's business-friendly approach, and the higher wage that will have a more optimal positive economic effect.

Election Day GOTV

All volunteer teams held phone bank shifts from 11am-3pm and 3pm-7pm on March 9, calling voters who had been previously reached or who had been undecided and imploring them to go vote, and vote for Joe Biden. The reported conversation rate for the election day phone bank was 25%, high for a phone bank, with an average of 9 volunteers at each bank, and an average of 915 dials at each bank.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #860 on: June 02, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »

OOC: Those have to be the most detailed primary schedules since Ayotte and Hutchinson in the 2012 game, xD
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #861 on: June 02, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 08:11:47 PM by NHI »

ROUND XIX: March 17-20

EDWARDS WINS KANSAS  BIDEN NARROWLY WINS ILLINOIS PRIMARY

Hillary Clinton: 966
John Edwards: 857
Joe Biden: 646
Dennis Kucinich: 168

Kansas:
√ John Edwards: 52% (33)
Joe Biden: 48%

Illinois:
√ Joe Biden: 50.0% (156)
John Edwards: 49.5%
Other: 0.5%

Senator Edwards and Senator Biden both walked away with victories Tuesday Night, with the Delaware Senator taking the big prize by winning the Illinois primary. Early returns showed Edwards in the lead by half a point to a point, but as the night wore on Biden closed the gap and walked away with a narrow victory, but still a victory nevertheless. Edwards still leads in the delegate count and now the Democratic contests shifts to the caucuses of Alaska and Wyoming where Biden has been leading, but Edwards is making a play for the states.

In the other news, Rudy Giuliani is continuing his campaign, launching a fifty state strategy, pledging to earn votes in all corners in the country. He is awaiting confirmation by the Senate toe become the 47th Vice President of the United States. Some Democrats have attacked the nomination of Giuliani as a power grab by the Republicans, however public opinion polls show support for the move and support for Rudy Giuliani. Barring any upset, both Houses are expected to confirm Giuliani.

Wyoming: March 20 (13 Delegates)
Joe Biden: 49%
John Edwards: 47%
Undecided: 4%

Alaska: March 20 (13 Delegates)
Joe Biden: 48%
John Edwards: 48%

This Round will Close one June 5th at 12:01 AM EST.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #862 on: June 02, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »

Upcoming Primaries and Caucuses:

March 20th: Wyoming
Biden: 49%
Edwards: 47%

March 20th Alaska
Biden: 48%
Edwards: 48%

April 13th: Colorado
Biden: 46%

April 17th: U.S. Virgin Islands
Edwards: 51%

April 17th: North Carolina
Edwards: 60%
Biden: 37%

April 24th: Pennsylvania
Biden: 50%
Edwards: 46%

May 4th: Indiana

May 11th: Nebraska
Edwards: 49%
Biden: 46%

May 11th: West Virginia
Edwards: 50%
Biden: 44%

May 18th: Arkansas
Biden: 45%

May 18th: Kentucky
Edwards: 52%
Biden: 44%

May 18th: Oregon
Biden: 47%

June 1st: Alabama
Biden: 45%

June 1st: South Dakota
Edwards: 45%

June 6th: Puerto Rico
Edwards: 49%
Biden: 47%

June 8th: Montana

June 8th: New Jersey

Democratic Nomination Polling:
Joe Biden: 47%
John Edwards: 47%
Undecided: 6%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #863 on: June 02, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »

General Election Polling:

Edwards. Giuliani v. Johnson (Giuliani +5)
Rudy Giuliani: 48% (+1)
John Edwards: 43% (+/-0)
Gary Johnson: 4% (+/-0)
Undecided: 5%

Biden v. Giuliani v. Johnson (Giuliani +3)
Rudy Giuliani: 47% (+1)
Joe Biden: 43% (-1)
Gary Johnson: 5% (+1)
Undecided: 5%

Edwards v. Giuliani (Giuliani +4)
Rudy Giuliani: 50% (+/-0)
John Edwards: 46% (+1)

Biden v. Giuliani (Giuliani +3)
Rudy Giuliani: 49% (+/-0)
Joe Biden: 46% (-1)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #864 on: June 02, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for March 17th-20th, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Theodore Olson
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster:Mike DuHaime

March 17th, 2004; California
-- Visit Naval Air Station Lemoore with Gov. Wilson
-- Townhall in Lemoore, CA with Gov. Schwarzennegger, Gov. Wilson, and Assemblyman McCarthy
-- Barnstorm in Hanford, CA with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Gov. Wilson, and Assemblyman McCarthy
-- Barnstorm in Bakersfield, CA  with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Gov. Wilson, and Assemblyman McCarthy
-- Hold “Latinos For Giuliani” Campaign Coalition rally at Cal. State Bakersfield with Gov. Schwarzenegger and Gov. Wilson
-- Drive to Nevada

March 18th, 2004; Nevada
-- Barnstorm in Winnemucca, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain
-- Meeting with campaign staff to discuss the selection of the running mate
-- Barnstorm in Battle Mountain, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain
-- Barnstorm in Eureka, NV with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sen. McCain
-- Read to 3rd Graders at Eureka Elementary School with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Fly to Washington, D.C.

March 19th, 2004; Washington, D.C.
-- Breakfast with Pres. Bush and First Lady Bush
-- Private Meeting with Sen. Frist and Sen. McConnell
-- Lunch with Sen. Lugar and Sen. Kerry
-- Private Meeting with Sen. Daschle and Sen. Reid
-- Private Meeting with Sen. Grassley and Sen. Baucus
-- Press Conference on the steps of the Capitol
-- Dinner with Sec. Ridge and National Security Adviser Rice

March 20th, 2004; Washington D.C.
-- Breakfast with Rep. Pelosi
-- Private Meeting with Spkr. Hastert and Rep. DeLay
-- Private Meeting with Rep. Blunt
-- Lunch with Rep. Hoyer and Rep. Udall
-- Private Meeting with Rep. Hunter and Rep. Skelton
-- Private Meeting with Rep. Young and Rep. Obey
-- Private Meeting with Pres. Bush and Sec. Powell
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #865 on: June 02, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »

Giuliani Surrogates, March 17th-20th, 2004

Gov. George Pataki
Barnstorming in New York

Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Fundraising in New York

Senator John McCain
Barnstorming in Nevada

Governor Angus King
Barnstorming in New York

Fmr. First Lady Nancy Reagan
Barnstorming in Florida

Senator George Voinovich
Barnstorming in Ohio

Mr. Sheldon Adelson
Fundraising in Nevada

Former President Jerry Ford
Barnstorming in Ohio

Governor Terry Branstad
Barnstorming in Ohio

Senator Kit Bond
Barnstorming in Missouri

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt
Barnstorming in Missouri

Mr. John Elway
Barnstorming in Missouri

Senator Norm Coleman
Barnstorming in Minnesota

Governor Pete Wilson
Barnstorming in California

Former Vice President Dan Quayle
Barnstorming in Nevada

Former Senator Howard Baker
Barnstorming in North Carolina

Senator Lamar Alexander

House Speaker Dennis Hastert
Barnstorming in Maryland

Former Senator Fred Thompson
Barnstorming in Florida

Senator Larry Pressler
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor John Hoeven
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor Mike Rounds
Barnstorming in Iowa

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jack Kemp
Barnstorming in Wisconsin

Senator Bob Dole
Barnstorming in Ohio

General Norman Schwarzkopf

International Association of Fire Fighters
Voter Registration Rallies in California

Senator Connie Mack III
Barnstorming in Florida

Dick Cheney
Private Affairs

Kay Bailey Hutchison
Barnstorming in Missouri

Linda Lingle

Kenny Guinn
Barnstorming in Nevada

Mary Matalin
Campaign Duties

Larry Craig
Barnstorming in Nevada

Bill Owens
Private Affairs

Paul Cellucci
Barnstorming in New Hampshire

John H. Sununu

John Ensign
Barnstorming in Nevada

Tom Petri

Mike DeWine
Barnstorming in Ohio

Donald Carcieri

George H.W. Bush

Tim Pawlenty

Rod Grams

Wayne Gilchrest
Barnstorming in Pennsylvania

Bob Taft
Barnstorming in Ohio

Bob Ehrlich

Bill Frist

George Allen

Olene Walker
Personal Campaign for Governor

Chamber of Commerce
Running ads in California and Ohio

Ed Gillespie
Campaign Organization

Rick Perry
Barnstorming in Virginia

Mitch McConnell
Barnstorming in Ohio

Lindsey Graham

Trent Lott

Sam Brownback

Rick Santorum
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #866 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

Biden Speech

Congratulations! Thank you, Illinois! It was close, but tonight we significantly cut Senator Edwards' inflated delegate lead down to size! And in the coming weeks we will pull ahead and secure this nomination once and for all! I am so incredibly proud and grateful for all the hard work you all did to mobilize your communities, inform them about the clear choice they had in this primary and ensure that the right choice was made here in this Illinois primary. Kansas, God love ya, it's alright that you slipped away! The Democrats in Kansas, and all of our rural states are a vital and important backbone to this party. Now we are on to Alaska and Wyoming, and Colorado and beyond!

New Biden Endorsements

Tony Knowles, frmr. Governor from Alaska

Ken Salazar, Attorney General & 2004 Senate candidate from Colorado

John Hickenlooper, Mayor from Denver, CO

Mark Udall, Representative from Colorado's 2nd congressional district

Diana DeGette, Representative from Colorado's 1st congressional district

Judy Shepard, President & Founder of the Matthew Shepard Foundation
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #867 on: June 02, 2014, 11:58:53 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 02:46:29 AM by badgate »

TV Ad: Unity

FEMALE VOICE OVER: Only one candidate in the Democratic primary can truly bring unity to the party. And that candidate is Senator Joe Biden. Joe's a proven, effective leader with a history of getting things done in Congress. We know that as President he'll do the same. In seeking endorsements during this primary, Senator Biden has already united three core constituencies of our party: The League of Conservation Voters, The National Education Association, and the United Automobile Autoworkers. Joe is a proud union man, who will raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour and ensure that tipped workers, the people we as Americans interact with every week, don't get left behind. And with the threat of terror abroad, Senator Biden has a proven record of securing arms control treaties from nations that were once our most dangerous rivals. He can do that again and secure peace in the land, both foreign and domestic. So on [Month, Date]*, cast your primary vote for Senator Joe Biden.

IMAGE: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

+U.S. Virgin Islands

TV Ad: Baseball

BIDEN (speaking to camera, intercut with various photos of Biden & his father, Biden in his high school baseball uniform, Biden as a Senator, public schools, etc): My father and I always relished a game of catch, and that bond led to my love of baseball. Experience on the field taught me the work ethic and to be a team player, something that has aided me my entire life and been a key to my success at getting things done in Washington. The National Educators Association didn't just endorse me because of my pro-public school record. They endorsed me because they know I will take action on behalf of every young man and woman walking those hallways. Together we can undo the damage of President Bush's economic reforms, get teachers back to teaching instead of testing, and make sure that our schools always have the resources to give each child the opportunity to fulfill their potential. So whether it's the school orchestra, speech and debate...or a game of baseball. Together we will make public schools the best in the world.

+U.S. Virgin Islands
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #868 on: June 03, 2014, 12:06:58 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 12:21:22 AM by badgate »

Biden Surrogates

Governor Mario Cuomo
Barnstorm and GOTV in Wyoming

Senator Mark Warner
Barnstorm and GOTV in Wyoming

Senator Arlen Specter
Barnstorm and GOTV in Alaska

Senator Olympia Snowe
Barnstorming and GOTV in Alaska

Senator Jay Rockefeller
Barnstorming in West Virginia

Senator Maria Cantwell

Sen. Max Clealand
Barnstorming and GOTV in Wyoming

Sen. Max Baucus

Sen. Mark Dayton

Sen. Daniel Inoyue

Gov. Jerry Brown
Fundraising in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas

Rep. Ben Chandler

Sen. Herb Kohl

Sen. Ted Kennedy

Rep. Tammy Baldwin
Campaigning in Wyoming with Biden.

Rep. Betty McCollum

Rep. Martin Olav Sabo

Rep. Barbara Lee

Rep. Henry Waxman
Fundraising in L.A.

Sen. Jack Reed

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy

Rep. Jim Langevin

Rep. Richard Neal

Rep. Ted Strickland

Sen. Paul Sarbanes

Gov. Ann Richards

Rep. Lloyd Doggett

Rep. Gene Taylor

Rep. Bennie Thompson

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee

Rev. Al Sharpton

Sen. Jesse Jackson

Carol Moseley Braun, former Senator from Illinois

Rep. Bobby Rush

Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez

Rep. Rahm Emanuel
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #869 on: June 03, 2014, 12:14:46 AM »

Senator Olympia Snowe
Working as Alaska

Olympia Snowe is Alaska. Tongue
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #870 on: June 03, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »

She's a very talented politician Wink
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #871 on: June 03, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 04:02:20 PM by badgate »

Biden Campaign Schedule (March 17-20)

March 17, 2004 Wyoming & Colorado
Issues pushed: ENDA, hate crimes law, raise the minimum wage, end the war in Iraq.

9:00am - Breakfast in Cheyenne with campaign volunteers, staff, & Senator Biden, w/ Judy Shepard & Rep. Tammy Baldwin WY
10:00am - Rally in Cheyenne, w/ Judy Shepard & Rep. Tammy Baldwin Judy Shepard endorses Senator Biden for President WY
11:00am - Town Hall in Cheyenne, w/ Judy Shepard WY
1:45pm - Town Hall in Boulder, w/ Rep. Udall, AG Salazar CO
2:30pm - Rally in Boulder, w/ Rep. Udall, AG Salazar. Rep. Udall & Attorney General Ken Salazar endorse Senator Biden for President CO
4:30pm - Rally in Denver, w/ Rep. DeGette, Mayor Hickenlooper, & AG Salazar. Rep. Diana DeGette, Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, & Attorney General Ken Salazar endorse Senator Biden for President CO
7:15pm - Student Forum at Fox Farm-College WY

March 18, 2004 Wyoming
Issues pushed: ENDA, hate crimes law, better public schools, support for agriculture

8:45am - Interview on Good Morning Wyoming on K2TV
10:30am - Speech at Matthew Shepard memorial site outside of Laramie, w/ Judy Shepard & Rep. Baldwin

Excerpt from Laramie speech

Too many actions of evil have happened in this world. I pledged last month with Congresswoman Baldwin by my side that as President I would call for passage of the Employer Non-Discrimination Act, ensuring a fair and free workplace for all Americans, including our gay and lesbian friends and neighbors. Today I am here to speak about another area of law, one where I have extensive experience.

In the 1990s, I passed the Biden Crime Law, getting thousands of criminals off our streets. In similar fashion the same year I wrote and passed the Violence Against Women Act. I pledge that this hate crimes law will be amended under my leadership, to include hate crimes against gay and lesbian and trans Americans. It is a moral and principled position that I will never betray to the winds of political discourse.

11:15am - Town Hall in Laramie
1:00-2:00pm - Fly from Cheyenne to Casper
2:30pm - Rally in Casper
3:45pm - Town Hall in Casper
5:30pm - Town Hall in Douglas
7:00-7:30pm - Fly from Casper to Sheridan
7:45pm - Town Hall in Sheridan

Excerpt from Town Halls

QUESTION: What are you going to do about accessibility to water?

BIDEN: Hello sir. Thank you...there are two competing needs for water in the United States. Agriculture is incredibly important, it's our fifth largest industry. It will be a high priority in my administration, and my Secretary of Agriculture will be empowered to help farmers in any way possible. The two needs I mentioned, are the needs of our farmers, and the need for water in urban areas. I will pressure cities to have the most up to date purification and water systems, and direct the EPA to find ways to curb superfluous water usage in suburban and urban areas. In farm country, small town America, we will help farmers with crop insurance, and encouraging businesses to push for more advanced irrigation equipment.

My Secretary of Interior, also, will be tasked with preserving America's waterways. As we see how water supply changes and the challenges it brings, we will react with the full force of the government to provide adequate water to residents.

QUESTION: Senator Biden, something you don't mention is that your crimes law included an assault rifle ban. What can you say to the Democrats that support gun ownership and the 2nd amendment.

BIDEN: Well, I can say a lot. I can say I support the 2nd amendment. I support the first sentence, calling for a well-regulated militia in case of the need to secure our land. I support the second sentence, allowing within that context an unbridgeable right to firearm ownership. But that was written hundreds of years ago. There are weapons far more powerful, that I think we can agree belong on the field of battle.

The bill you're speaking of, was an amendment that I recall was added to the bill. I myself have owned a rifle for years. I knew my wife and sons would always be safe in our home in Delaware, which is slightly secluded much like many homes out here in the beautiful country. My belief is: nobody becomes a criminal when they buy a gun. They become a criminal when they commit a crime. It is with that belief that I approach any sort of gun safety measures.

March 19, 2004 Alaska
Issues pushed: Raise the minimum wage, education reform, ENDA, energy independence

9:00am - Meet & Greet at coffeehouse in Anchorage w/ volunteers, w/ Gov. Knowles
10:00am - Town Hall in Anchorage, w/ Gov. Knowles
11:00am - Rally in Anchorage, w/ Gov. Knowles, Gov. Tony Knowles endorses Senator Biden for President
1:30pm - Town Hall in Wasilla, w/ Gov. Knowles
3:15-4:15pm - Fly from Anchorage to Fairbanks
4:30pm - Town Hall in Fairbanks, w/ Gov. Knowles
6:00-7:15pm - Fly from Fairbanks to Juneau
7:30pm - Town Hall in Juneau, w/ Gov. Knowles
8:15pm - Rally outside town hall in Juneau, w/ Gov. Knowles
9:00pm - Conference call thanking GOTV volunteers in Alaska and Wyoming
10:00pm - Taped interview with Anchorage Morning News, KTAA TV CBS11, to be aired the morning of March 20, 2004.

March 20, 2004 Wyoming
Issues pushed: Better public schools, support for agriculture, raise the minimum wage, end the war in Iraq

11:00am - GOTV in Cheyenne
1:45pm - GOTV in Laramie
4:30pm - GOTV in Casper
9:00pm - Rally in Cheyenne

Gov. Tony Knowles
Feb. 17-18: Barnstorming in Alaska
Feb. 19: Campaigning w/ Sen. Biden
Feb. 20: GOTV in Alaska

Judy Shepard
Feb. 17-18: Campaigning w/ Sen. Biden
Feb. 19-20: GOTV in Wyoming

Colorado Surrogates
Feb. 17: Campaigning w/ Sen. Biden
Feb. 18-20: GOTV in Wyoming
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #872 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:01 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 03:54:49 PM by badgate »

GOTV Strategy/Talking Points

Senator Biden is only leading by two points in Wyoming, so the campaign's grassroots arm is tasked with getting Senator Biden 2% of the undecided voters, which will lead to a victory. Senator Biden has stressed his blue collar appeal in both Wyoming and Alaska, focusing on his populist economic rhetoric and his campaign to raise the minimum wage.

In Wyoming, Democrats have always stuck up for gay rights since the Matthew Shepard tragedy in 1998. Judy Shepard has since made fantastic headway with the Matthew Shepard Foundation, but she reached out to the Biden campaign around March 7, informing them that she would like to endorse the Senator and help him win the Wyoming primary/caucus.

In Alaska, former Gov. Tony Knowles is still a very popular Democrat and still a viable state-wide candidate. There are rumors that he will run for Senate in 2006, and he has made pains to maintain a strong and friendly relationship with the state party. His endorsement and connections as well as accompanying Biden on the stump, we believe, will swing the 3% of undecideds needed to win.

Volunteer teams have held phone banks on week nights, from 6pm to 9pm, and block walks on Saturdays from 11am to 3pm and Sundays from 2pm to 5pm. Phone banks averaged 6 attendees, with an average of 523 dials and a 19% conversation rate. Block Walks averaged 5 attendees, with an average of 411 doors knocked and a 38% conversation rate.

At these events volunteers persuaded undecided voters, made the case for Biden to committed Edwards voters, and closer to March 20 the events also had GOTV purposes. Registered voters who had previously voted in a Democratic primary were called or reached door-to-door, and provided with their voting place and literature promoting Senator Joe Biden for President.

The campaign has relieved some field organizers because the coming states are more spread out. Field organizers are currently allocated thus:

Wyoming:
-1 in Cheyenne
-1 in Casper
-1 in Laramie/west Wyoming
-1 in Sheridan/ north & northeast Wyoming

Alaska
-2 in Anchorage + cities surrounding the Knik Arm (Knik-Fairview, Wasilla, Lakes, Tanaina, Palmer, & Eagle River)
-1 in Fairbanks/north Alaska
-1 in Juneau/south Alaska + Peninsula

Talking Points: Surrogates in the states that are voting on March 20 have been tasked with appealing to their connections in the state or district to get out the county machines for Biden.

Surrogates are also asked to make the case that Joe Biden is the best candidate against Rudy Giuliani. This is the crucial contrast. Despite Giuliani's experience as a Mayor, the events of 9/11 put him on a higher national stage and Edwards will be severely vulnerable to criticisms of inexperience against him. Biden, however, is immune and can match or possibly exceed Giuliani on foreign policy. Biden's appeal to the working class, as well, will make him more competitive against Giuliani who seems aloof and bums out evangelical voters.

Mayor Giuliani gave us a gift on March 10 as well: a watered-down minimum wage proposal. This is an opportunity to draw a clear contrast between Biden and Giuliani, and successfully doing that will subtly reinforce that Senator Biden should be the Democratic nominee. Specifically, Senator Biden has stressed his plan's business-friendly approach, and the higher wage that will have a more optimal positive economic effect.

The following issues should be hit on at every stop:
-End the war in Iraq
-Raise the minimum wage
-Experienced in foreign policy & getting things done in Washington

Other issues, such as ENDA, hate crimes law, water support for farmers, gun ownership, college finance reform & student loan reform, medical marijuana, & treatment for drug addicts, should be touted at the surrogate's discretion.

Election Day GOTV

All volunteer teams held phone bank shifts from 11am-3pm and 3pm-7pm on March 20, calling voters who had been previously reached or who had been undecided and imploring them to go vote, and vote for Joe Biden. The reported conversation rate for the election day phone bank was 21%, with an average of 7 volunteers at each bank, and an average of 601 dials at each bank.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #873 on: June 03, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »

Latest Polling: Primary

Wyoming:
Biden: 50%

Alaska:

Favorability:

Rudy Giuliani
Favorable: 51%
Unfavorable: 36%
Undecided: 13%

Joe Biden
Favorable: 48%
Unfavorable: 36%
Undecided: 16%

John Edwards
Favorable: 48%
Unfavorable: 35%
Undecided: 17%

Gary Johnson
Favorable: 49%
Unfavorable: 32%
Undecided: 19%
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #874 on: June 03, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »

Giuliani Campaign GOTV and Volunteer Strategy (March 17th-20th)

We had a bit of a break last week, in order to allow our campaign resources to blend with those from the Republican National Committee. I'm told, from our regional directors and chairpeople, that this transition went smoothly. That's great news.

Although the primary is over, we have a lot of work to do. We have to start preparing for the general election. This means canvasing larger neighborhoods, visiting more cities, and spreading more information. This is going to take some work, but I know that we can do it!

Our primary target, from this point on, are minorities and young voters. Due to our 50 State Strategy these two demographics are critical. Volunteers, when talking to minorities, should highlight how Vice President Giuliani's progress in New York City helped all people and his policies created jobs for all races, genders, and ethnicities. The Vice President's push to raise the minimum wage should be discussed too. Also, they should mention that the Vice President will reform the Department of Housing and Urban Development so that cities in need of extra resources can get them and use them as the city needs. When talking to veterans, also a key demographic, volunteers should also mentions the Vice President's push to reform the Veteran's Affairs Administration - cutting back the red tape and making it easier for our veterans to get the care they need. When talking to young voters (18-25) volunteers should hit on Vice President Giuliani's push for lower cost education, making education more effective, and making higher education available to all people. These are central tenants of his campaign and can be discussed with all voters.

When asked about Senator Biden or Senator Edwards, volunteers and surrogates should follow the talking points below:
- Vice President Giuliani has been trusted as a successor to President Bush.
- As Vice President, Rudy is gaining valuable skills that can only be gained from working within the White House.
- Vice President Giuliani has executive experience in a city with a population larger than 39 states, while neither Senator has executive experience.
- Vice President Giuliani is skilled in foreign affairs and has great relationships with Queen Elizabeth II, Prime Minister Tony Blair, President Jacques Chirac, and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. He can use these connections to further U.S. interests abroad.
- Senator Edwards only has one term as Senator under his belt, while Vice President Giuliani served two terms as Mayor of New York and was forced out by term limits.

Phone banks will be conducted in large cities in the following states: New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Ohio, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oregon, Wasington, Nevada, California, and New Mexico. Callers are asked to focus on the above talking points.

Thank you and good luck,
Mary Matalin,
Campaign Director
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies