2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:40:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154320 times)
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2014, 07:26:01 AM »

Uh, Kucinich took the ACLU, and Edwards took Gephardt.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »

Oops. Well, that comes from not looking enough Tongue
I'll watch out for others, thanks for telling me.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »

Biden/Rumsfeld/Johnson Town Halls
(Questions)Sad

Town Hall I, Nashua, September 22:

1.- Do you believe you could do a better job than President Bush in preventing another 9/11-type terrorist attack on the United States?

2.- Can you give us specifics—in terms of a scenario, timelines, et cetera—for ending U.S.—major U.S. military involvement in Iraq?

Town Hall II, Charleston, September 26:

3.- If you are elected President, what will you take to that office thinking is the single most serious threat to the national security of the United States?

4.- What are your views in the Patriot Act? What would you do with it as President?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

Rummy fights on!

Washington DC, September 21at, 2003:
Despite losing some ground in the polls this week, Former Secretary Rumsfeld has promised to redouble his efforts and launch a strong assault this week, aided his town hall debates, the efforts that donors are making to refine his infraestructure, and his new donors: Anti-Corruption crusader Sen. Peter Fitzgerald and Gov. Mark Sanford. Hopefully this should give Rumsfeld a boost in the Midwest and in South Carolina, a state Rumsfeld considers key for the nomination.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Mark Sanford: Conservatives, Don Rumsfeld is your man!

"I can be honest with you when I say I have not seen people respond to a candidate with the enthusiasm that I saw them respond to Rumsfeld. The man is certainly not the youngest candidate, but I am amazed at his energy and his grasp of the issues. I met with him a few days ago in South Carolina, and that enough to make up my mind. It's only the beliefs, Donald Rumsfeld is the candidate conservatives need. This nation needs a strong leader with strong beliefs, and I can't think of a better man for the job. Conservatives, Don Rumsfeld is your man!"

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Peter Fitzgerald: It's time for a new style of leadership, vote Rumsfeld!

"Leadership is almost all in politics. Good leaderships leads to a strong nation, bad leadership leads to disaster. I haven't been always supportive of the President, but I stand behind him as a leader, and Rumsfeld is the man who can continue that legacy and add something of his own. They call him abrasive and arrogant, but they fail to understand the real meaning behind his words. And I call Illinois, no, the Midwest to get out and support our native son! It's time for a new style of leadership, vote Rumsfeld!"

Campaign Manager Jay Townsend on the recent developments:

"Well, with Senator Allen's entrance we were bound to take some losses, all candidates took them. I am confident that this week's push will be more than enough to make up for lost ground, and we will be back at the top! Polling shows that we can win the early states if we work hard enough, and so far our campaign has been organized enough to hnadle that. We have opened new offices, called new donors, and we have been endorsed by some pretty key figures in the establishment and the conservative wing. Some say you can't build a conservative-establishment coalition, but I say they are wrong. Rumsfeld is the only man here who can pull that move, and he is going to prove it. Besides, we have two town hall debates this week, and I feel we are going to have quite a good amount of positive press cover because of it."
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 02:31:02 PM by Secretly Ted Cruz »

Joe Biden's campaign schedule, Sep. 20th to Sep. 27th

Sep. 20th
Rally with Mark Warner-Norfolk, Warner
Interview with Larry King-New York City, New York
Debate Preparation-Wilmington, Delaware
Debate Preparation-Wilmington, Delaware

A thing I have noticed over the past few days, is that the other Candidates seem to be campaigning in A. Iowa, B. New Hampshire, and C. South Carolina, y'know, the Big Three? Anyone else seeing this? Now, there's nothing wrong from being in those places, been there myself, meeting with other Governors, but it seems that the others seem to have a lack of empathy for smaller states, like my own state of Virginia, but I know a guy who won't put you down, and at most will just pass you by one hour in a day, but will actually focus on the small states, and big states, I guy I know very well, Senator Joe Biden!

Sep. 21st
Rally - Wilmington, Delaware
Debate Preparation-Boston, Massachusetts
Staff Meeting-Wilmington, Delaware
Fundraising-Madison, Wisconsin
Meeting with Gov. Pataki-New York City, New York

Sep. 22nd
Fundraising-Manchester, New Hampshire
Town Hall Debates-Nashua, New Hampshire

Rally-Nashua, New Hampshire

Question:Do you believe you could do a better job than President Bush in preventing another 9/11-type terrorist attack on the United States?

Well, I think that 9/11 could've been prevented, I mean, we needed to get the CIA on that before, and we clearly needed to beef security up, especially after the 1994 attack on the World Trade Center, and we didn't do that, which I think was a mistake, but as of 2001, there may not have been much to do in the run up to 9/11

Question:Can you give us specifics—in terms of a scenario, timelines, et cetera—for ending U.S.—major U.S. military involvement in Iraq?

Well, uh, this is a tough question to tackle, especially relating to when people want to get out, I oppose a war in Iraq, does that mean I opposed any involvement? No, Saddam was a dictator, and we should've used sanctions and the like against him, but we as a country are going to have a bad time unless we get out eventually, so I'd say full withdrawal by 2006, but earlier scale downs in March to July 2005, and then another by Christmas 2005, the minimum we need, then full withdrawal by Summer 2006, but we can't have our boys over there for say, until 2020, Iraq wouldn't be well off if we continued to stay there extensively....

Sep. 23rd
Rally-Kansas City, Missouri
Interview on the Daily Show-New York City, New York
Fundraising-Hoboken, New Jersey
Fundraising-Hoboken, New Jersey

Sep. 24th
Rest
Debate Preparation-Charleston, South Carolina
Staff Meeting-Charleston, South Carolina

Sep. 25th
Rally-Atlanta, Georgia
Rest
Rally-Charleston, South Carolina

Sep. 26th
Staff Meeting-Charleston, South Carolina
Town Hall Debate-Charleston, South Carolina
Town Hall Debate-Charleston, South Carolina

Fundraising-Charleston, South Carolina

Question:If you are elected President, what will you take to that office thinking is the single most serious threat to the national security of the United States?

Well, Terrorism, of course, now whether or not we are successfully fending off Terror, we are currently in a War on Terror, we've dragged our own allies into it, France, the UK, heck, the UN tried to stop us, so maybe it's time to slow down, I'm not advocating Isolationism, not at all, but we need to be careful, so, we don't, y'know, screw up..........

Question: What are your views in the Patriot Act? What would you do with it as President?

We need to stop restricting our own Civil Liberties before it gets too late, I mean, I would probably scrap the PATRIOT Act, hopefully with Congress' Approval, and replace it with something much lighter, what will restricting Liberty do? Nothing, but anger people, we need to not do this, I mean, the TSA's sort of okay, but now that we're in Iraq, Afghanistan, and we're getting into every nook and cranny, we didn't need a PATRIOT Act, and I hope it is not recreated...................

Sep. 27th
Staff Meeting-Wilmington, Delaware
Rally-Indianapolis, Indiana
Rest
Rest
Staff Meeting-Wilmington, Delaware.
---------------------------------------------------
Biden Endorsement:

Sen. Arlen Specter

Y'know, I've been in the Senate since Reagen, and since then, our Country's Party borders have grown so many times, that it takes a miracle for bipartisan compromise, so you might be thinking to yourself "Gosh, Arlen, what are you doing at a Biden rally? Aren't you worried about being re elected with Republicans?", and if you are, let me say, I don't serve a Democratic or Republican Party, I'm not here to do that, I'm here to serve the American people, and I think the best man to do that in the White House, a guy who I've worked with myself in the Senate, I'm sure you all know him, Senator Joe Biden!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New TV Ad:Caring

Who do you believe deserves the Democratic Nomination?  (Shows Picture line up of Democratic Candidates)

Well, Joe Biden has a serious record on hand, voting to keep Medicare in practice, opposing the Reagen Tax Cuts, and has shown he cares about the Average American, and compromises with Republicans in the House and Senate, now let's look at Senator John Edwards, who claims to be a "Man of the People", who voted to keep our Nukes at the same number, despite START, currently supports a costly War in Iraq, and seems to think that Gay People should not be free to marry, despite their wishes.

Is John Edwards a "Man of the People"? Joe Biden says NO.

I'm Joe Biden, and I approve of this message.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

OOC: I agree with the plan.

Rumsfeldmania! - Stage Three:

"Make no mistake, America needs a strong leader to stand up and do what's necessary, as President Bush has. I have worked with Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan, and those were leaders who understood the concept of leadership, who knew that something had to be done. And that is precisely what I want to do. We can't afford a leader who is untested, a leader who is not willing to do what is necessary, a leader that can't protect America. I trust my fellow Republicans, but when you look at the record, I am by far the most experienced candidate, and I have solid credentials in foreign and economic policy and in leadership. Efficiency is crucial to lead, and that's precisely what I am offering to America. A tested and capable leader."

September 21st:
-New Hampshire III:
 -Town Hall in Hampton, NH.
 -Town Hall in Keene, NH.
 -Town Hall in Weare, NH.
 -Rally in Concord, NH.
 -Rally in Berlin, NH.
 -Fundraiser in Nashua, NH.

September 22nd:
-New Hampshire IV:
 -Barnstorming Rochester, NH.
 -Barnstorming Salem, NH.
 -Interview with local media.
 -Rally in Manchester, NH.
 -Town Hall Debate in Nashua, NH.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Look, many people have talked to me about this, and they always said that what happened in 9/11 seemed amazing in retrospect. And it does, but the Bush administration was doing a good work on it, and I stand for those efforts. I knew of no intelligence during the six-plus months leading up to September 11th that indicated terrorists would hijack commercial airliners, use them as missiles to fly into the Pentagon or the World Trade Center towers. But I will tell you that a Rumsfeld admnistration will pursue even closer colaboration between our security agencies, we will do our best to empower the Dep. of Homeland Security, and we will intervene whenever necessary. We can't afford to have another 9/11, but if we do nothing about it, we won't keep America safe. We will lose valuable lives."

"Senator Biden seems a little bit confused to me here. He speaks of sanctions as the ideal way of acting against Saddam Hussein, yet he voted for the Iraq War and was very supportive of it at the beginning, as most of the Democratic Party was. And I don't understand and I certainly don't support this defeatist attitude. To leave Iraq now would mean the loss of our progress so far, it would mean to tell those veterans and those vidows that their sacrifice was meaningless. And no, it was not meaningless! I want to thank the courageous men and women in uniform all across the globe who risk their lives so that all of us can live in freedom, and I want to assure them that a Rumsfeld administration will only leave when the job is done and the insurgents crushed. I won't give you dates, although I believe this can be done in less than five years, provided we are responsible enough."

September 23rd:
-New Hampshire V:
 -Town Hall in Claremont, NH.
 -Town Hall in Lebanon, NH.
 -Barnstorm in Keene, NH.
 -Barnstorm in Merrimack, NH.
 -Rally in Dover, NH.

"New Hampshire is a state that deeply cares about the economy, and they can tell who is an economic expert and who is not. During the 1980's, I served as the CEO to a small company in trouble: Searle. With good and efficient management, Searle managed to expand greatly, leaving it as a truly powerful company. And that experience, as well as my work in Congress, taught me the need for responsbility to handle our economy. We need a balance budget, we need lower taxes for the middle class, we have to reform the tax code and make something truly efficient. I have the experience and the skills to do it, and I promise New Hampshire that our economy can keep growing with the right leader!"

September 24th:
-South Carolina VI:
 -Bus Tour in Sumter, SC.
 -Bus Tour in Florence, SC.
 -Bus Tour in Aiken, SC.
 -Rally in Rock Hill, SC.
 -Rally in Dutch Fork, SC.

September 25th:
-South Carolina VIII:
 -Rally in Greenville, SC.
 -Rally in Summerville, SC.
 -Rally in Mount Pleasant, SC.
 -Rally in North Charleston, SC.
 -Town Hall Debate in Charleston, SC.

"Terrorists, that's an obvious answer for me. Another attack on our people will be attempted. We can't know where, or when, but this is not the end of the War on Terror. On September 11th, our world changed. It may be tempting to think that once the crisis is passed that things will go back to the way they were. Not so. We've entered a new security environment, arguably the most dangerous the world has known. And if we're continue to live as free people, we cannot go back to thinking the way the world thought on September 10th. We're talking about global terrorism, but I think we can do an effective job on that problem. I think it will take a period of years, but this is a war we can and we will win."

"I am as concerned as everybody else is about civil liberties. This is a free nation, and it's certainly not with happiness that President Bush signed this act. But it had to be done if we want to avoid further damage to America, if we want to really know that we are safer. I guess my short answer is that I have confidence in the American people, and I don't doubt for a minute but that we're going to be able to live in this world, and I do think we're going to be able to live in this world without giving up an awful lot of our freedoms. I think the President put it well when he said that clearly we need to "have a heightened sense of awareness", for we must be vigilant. Someday we might be able to change it, but I would keep is as President."

September 26th:
-South Carolina VII:
 -Bus Tour in Spartanburg, SC.
 -Bus Tour in Greer, SC.
 -Bus Tour in Goose Creek, SC.
 -Bus Tour in Myrtle Beach, SC.
 -Rally in Columbus, SC.

"Of course, I'm not just a foreign policy guy. You see, I have been very supportive of President Bush's educational efforts, and I am of the opinion that we need to make an even stronger charge here. Back in the 1970's, I was one of the first members of Congress to support tuition tax credits, and I was always a strong voice for school vouchers, then as an experiment, now as the way to go forward. There's so much to do for education, and if our efforts are constant and our will strong enough, I am sure that we can help our next generation to conquer the 21st Century battlefields of technology."

September 27th:
-Missouri I:
 -Barnstorm in Columbia, MO.
 -Barnstorm in Independence, MO.
 -Barnstorm in Springfield, MO.
 -Rally in St. Louis, MO.
 -Rally in Kansas City, MO.

September 28th:
-Iowa III:
 -Rally in Des Moines, IA.
 -Rally in Cedar Rapids, IA.
 -Town Hall in Iowa City, IA.
 -Town Hall in Waterloo, IA.
 -Town Hall in Ames, IA.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:37 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2014, 08:46:30 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Pat Buchanan Schedule: September 21st-September 27th.

September 21st:
-Attending Mass at St. Christopher Catholic Church in Nashua, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Nashua, New Hampshire.
-Meet and Greet with supporters at the main New Hampshire campaign office in Manchester.
-Visiting small businesses in and around Concord, New Hampshire.
-Phone banking in Concord, New Hampshire.

September 22nd:
-Rally in Keene, New Hampshire.
-Townhall in Keene, New Hampshire.
-Rally with former Senator Gordon Humphrey in Berlin, New Hampshire.

“Pat Buchanan has run three Presidential campaigns here in the Granite state, and I like many in the state have come to feel that he is our adopted favorite son. He has worked in the thick of two administrations, and knows how to get things done in the executive department of our government. And let me tell you something, New Hampshire-he is not “just” an advisor, and I rather have any Reagan advisor as President any day over a Mayor or a Governor or a Senator just coasting along on their position. This January, let’s throw the bums out and return true Conservatism to the White House.”

September 23rd:
-Rally in Laconia, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Franklin, New Hampshire.
-Going door to door in Ashland, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Plymouth, New Hampshire.
-Fundraiser with Gordon Humphrey in Plymouth, New Hampshire.

September 24th:
-Going door to door in Andover, New Hampshire.
-Rally in New London, New Hampshire.
-Townhall with students at St. Anselm’s College in Goffstown, New Hampshire.

September 25th:
-Shooting an ad (to be aired at a yet to be determined date) in Manchester, New Hampshire.
-Fundraiser in Concord, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Exeter, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

September 26th:
-Rally in Hampton, New Hampshire.
-Rally in Epping, New Hampshire.
-Meet and Greet in Raymond, New Hampshire.
-Appearance on the “O’Reilly Factor” via satellite, in Manchester, New Hampshire.

September 27th:
-Flight to Washington, DC.
-Fundraiser in Washington, DC.
-Spend evening resting at the Buchanan residence outside of DC.

New Hampshire Union Leader: We Want Pat!
“The creeping cancer of conservatism is corroding the true values of the Republican Party. In a crowded primary that consists of several major national figures including a former Mayor of America’s biggest city, a Governor of a major western state, a Secretary of Defense, and a Senator, only Buchanan stands out in representing the conservative values that built the Republican Party and brought about the Reagan revolution.

As a commentator, he has stood out as the shining beacon of conservatism in a liberal junkyard. As America’s leading conservative, his voice carries significant weight, and truly is the voice of the modern Conservative.

Buchanan’s role in the Nixon and Reagan administrations were crucial; as a member of the inner circle of Presidents Nixon and Reagan, he helped formulate the successful economic and foreign policy decisions that brought out nation unmatched prosperity. His experience in the White House alone makes him more qualified than any of the candidates currently in the field-including two Governors.

While the Republican Party abandons the free market and small government values that created an American renaissance, Buchanan stands out as the voice of the common man, the voice of the Christian voter, and the voice of the conservative. His brand of conservatism-which includes a truly conservative, strong yet non interventionist foreign policy and a brand of economic populism that stands for both the free market and the free man, is something rapidly fading from the current Republican Party.

In closing, America needs a Pat Buchanan right now. The Republican Party needs a Pat Buchanan right now. And our beloved New Hampshire needs a Pat Buchan right now. Do not vote for a Mayor, Secretary, Senator, or Governor. Vote for a statesman. Vote for Pat Buchanan."

Infrastructure Report (to be released every other turn).
New Hampshire Offices:
-Successfully spread awareness of Buchanan events, driven up event turnout.
-Solicited about $10,000 in small contributions over the last two weeks.
-Mobilized the past members of the “Buchanan Brigades.”

Iowa Offices:
-Coordinated Jerry Falwell events.
-Reached about 5,000 targeted voters (mostly those who lean towards Allen, Johnson, and Owens)
-Mobilized past members of the “Buchanan Brigades” in the state.
-Founded twenty “Students for Buchanan” clubs across the state.

Surrogates
Jerry Falwell: Spending the week barnstorming in Iowa, with only two events per day.
Brent Scowcroft: Making a few media appearances on behalf of the campaign.
Gordon Humphrey: Barnstorming in New Hampshire.
(Credits to Riley Keaton for the infastructure tidbits; I am really enjoying his presence in the game, and the level of detail he has added.)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2014, 08:03:44 PM by MadmanMotley »

Gary Johnson Campaign Schedule:

Sept. 21
Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA
Barnstorm in Ames, IA
Town Hall in Fort Dodge, IA
Rally and Town Hall in Sioux City, IA

Sept. 22
Town Hall in Concord, NH
Interview with local new station
Rally/Fundraiser in Manchester, NH
Town Hall Debate in Nashua, NH

"Absolutely, while President Bush has implemented policies he believes will work, I do not believe these policies will help the American people. Instead of spreading our forces thin throughout the world, we should bring the troops home and defend our own borders. If we have more military bases here in the United States, our security will be greatly increased, and we will be able to prevent future attacks."

"Well, in terms of a scenario, we should not be in there for five years like Secretary Rumsfeld has suggested. We thought Vietnam was going to be short term, but as we know, that was no short-term war. We don't need anymore of our fine young men and women coming back home in body-bags. I suggest a withdrawal of American forces immediately, with us getting completely out of Iraq in the next year. Our national security is only weakened by us being over there."
Sept. 23
Rally/Fundraiser in Nashua, NH
Town Hall in Portsmouth, NH
Town Hall in Dover, NH
Rally in Rochester, NH

Sept. 24
Meet and Greet in Laconia, NH
Town Hall in Lebanon, NH
Town Hall in Claremont, NH
Interview with Local News

Sept. 25
Rally/Fundraiser in Columbia, SC
Town Hall in Greenville, SC
Meet and Greet in Florence, SC
Town Hall Debate in Charleston, SC

To me, our most serious threat to our national security is our constant and massive presence overseas. We do not need over a hundred and thirty bases worldwide, a few strategic bases is acceptable, but not this massive overreach of the American military! This only costing taxpayer dollars, and our presence is causing unease among foreign nations. This hurts national security in that we are defending other countries' borders, and not our own!

"The PATRIOT act is a direct violation of our fourth amendment rights, this constant wiretapping will only cost taxpayer dollars, and will do nothing to help our national security. As Ben Franklin said, 'Anyone who gives up a little liberty for a little security, loses both and deserves neither.' This is just an overreach of the Federal Government, and should be immediately repealed.

Sept. 26
Rally/Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA
Town Hall in Davenport, IA
Town Hall in Iowa City, IA
Barnstorm Cedar Rapids, IA

Sept. 27
Rally/Speech in Waterloo, IA
Town Hall in Dubuque, IA
Meet and Greet in Clinton, IA

Surrogates:

Rep. Ron Paul:

Sept. 20-23:
Fundraising/Moneybombs all week
Sept. 24:
Congressional Work
Sept. 25-27:
Barnstorming Iowa small towns

Gov. Ventura:

Sept. 20-23:
Barnstorming Iowa
Sept. 24-27:
Barnstorming New Hampshire

Fmr. Rep. Barry Goldwater Jr.

Sept. 20-27:
Barnstorming Arizona

Gov. Buddy Roemer

Sept. 20-27:
Barnstorming South Carolina

TV and Radio ad to run in the following states:

"There is one candidate with a vision, one candidate, who has the real experience needed to be president, who wants you to LIVE FREE. A two-term governor who kept his state in check, kept a balanced budget. A man who is willing to stand up and fight for what is right. We need a true leader in the White House. Vote to LIVE FREE, vote for Gary Johnson. (this ad has been approved by Gary Johnson."

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2014, 04:10:01 PM »

Joe Biden Surrogates

Mario Cuomo

Sep. 20th-23th
Rallies and GOTV Campaign in New York

Sep. 24th-27th
Fundraising and Meetings with Iowa and New York Democrats

Mark Warner

Sep. 20th-25th
Days being Governor

Sep. 26th-27th
Fundraising/Moneybombs

Arlen Specter

Sep. 20th-24th
Rallies and GOTV Campaign in Pennsylvania
Sep. 25th-27th
Barnstorming in Pennsylvania
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »

Edwards for President: Second!

The Edwards campaign is riding a tide of momentum into second place nationally! We're grateful for the support of the people, and we're sure we can increase those margins over the coming weeks.

Schedule: September 21-27

September 21
-Town hall in Ste. Genevieve, MO
-Meet and greet in Grantwood Village, MO
-Rally in St. Louis, MO with Majority Leader Dick Gephardt

Second place seems to come with some attacks. I thank Congressman Kucinich for his praise of my campaign, and I’ll take this time to address his criticism of my record. I did vote to authorize the war in Iraq, and I agree that - now - that represents a blight on my record. I believed, at the time, that going to war in Iraq was the right decision. In retrospect, the reports I received while sitting on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence were deeply flawed and, in some cases, manipulated to fit a political agenda - I, and the American people, didn’t have the full story. Had I known then what I know now, I would never have voted for the war. I made a mistake, and I take responsibility for that. If elected, I will be willing to put forward a plan for troop withdrawal and concurrent training for Iraqi troops. Additionally, we need to make sure the Iraqis get the most out of this that they can - that means taking out American contractors who have taken advantage of the situation and giving that work to Iraqi businesses. We also need to bring Iraq’s neighbors, as well as our other allies, into an international process to get Iraq on its feet. Our troops, and the people of both nations, deserve nothing less.

September 22
-Meet and greet in Arrow Rock, MO
-Townhall in Marshall, MO
-Meet and greet in Nevada, MO

September 23
-Meet and greet in Grandview, MO
-Townhall in Independence, MO
-Townhall in Sibley, MO
-Rally in Kansas City, MO with Minority Leader Gephardt

Recently some have brought up the PATRIOT Act. I voted for the PATRIOT Act believing it was necessary to fight terrorism, as did 98 of my colleagues in the Senate, and it does contain provisions that were needed to strengthen our security, through promoting intelligence sharing and cooperation among government agencies. What we’ve seen since is an abuse of powers in its implementation, since it gave too much discretion to the Attorney General. He promised he wouldn’t abuse his direction, but he did. We need to rigorously review the PATRIOT Act. There are things in the Act we need to keep, and I’m not going to pledge myself to full repeal, but the idea that this administration can arrest American citizens on American soil, label them an enemy combatant, put them in prison, keep them there indefinitely-this runs contrary to everything we believe in this country. The notion that they are going to libraries to find out what books people are checking out, going to book stores to find out what books are being purchased. What we have to remember-and I will when I am president-is what it is we are supposed to be fighting for, what it is we are supposed to be protecting. These very liberties, this privacy, these constitutional rights-that's what's at stake in this fight. And we cannot let people like John Ashcroft take them away in an effort to protect ourselves. We need to take away from the FBI the responsibility of fighting terrorism, and set up an independent watchdog group to make sure that none of us are losing our civil liberties. In the name of protecting America, we’re sacrificing our civil liberties - and that threatens the very heart and soul of what makes this country great.

September 24
-Meet and greet in Excelsior Springs, MO
-Meet and greet in Laclede, MO
-Townhall in St. Joseph, MO

September 25
-Meet and greet in Franklin, NH
-Meet and greet in Canterbury, NH
-Town hall in Cornish, NH

September 26
-Town hall in Peterborough, NH
-Meet and greet in Hillsborough, NH
-Rally in Derry, NH

Let’s talk about truly fair elections. The largest problem facing our electoral system is 527 organizations, which are groups claiming to be tax-exempt political organizations - but then they don’t register as political committees. We need new rules regulating 527 organizations and requiring them to register and be subject to FEC oversight. We can’t keep having these organizations using a technicality to get around contribution limits and disclosure requirements and drown out the voice of citizens.

September 27
-Service at St. John's Episcopal Church, Portsmouth, NH
-Townhall in Kingston, NH
-Rally in Exeter, NH

I’d like to highlight one of the differences between myself and the former Vice President. I won’t be bought by token gestures. I won’t compromise my stance because an organization offers me a chairmanship or offers to extend operations in my home state. This organization doesn’t represent all Americans - just because they can come up with another, more biased way of apportioning electors doesn’t prove that this current method that they’re supporting won’t result in biased outcomes.

But I don’t want just to be here talking about what I oppose - let’s talk about what I support. I back the an interstate compact, as Northwestern professor Robert Bennett proposed, where states adding up to at least 270 electoral votes award their electors to whoever wins the national popular vote. This method - not proportional popular vote - is truly the closest we can get to electing-on-popular-vote, since it actually is electing on popular vote. I’m the candidate truly supporting a popular vote, not the ones who are backing Represent America. Another difference between this plan and Represent America’s is that the interstate compact would only kick in once enough states have signed on to ensure it works. You’ll get a fair election where the person the most people vote for wins. Not one where California and New York split their electors and no other state does.

Let’s look at the people funding this: T. Boone Pickens and Bob Perry - the major funders of Represent America. Both of these men have something else in common: they both live in Texas. So where’s Represent Texas? They claim to care about the will of the people, but aren’t even trying to implement their plan in their home state. Why? Because they have something else in common: they’re both major donors to Republican candidates. They know that if Texas adopts this plan, then Democrats can pick up votes from Texas. And they don’t want that to happen. If you want your votes to truly count, you’ll support an interstate popular vote compact - but not this. This plan as it currently stands is designed only to help get Republicans elected.

New Ad (radio): One of Our Own (Fritz Hollings)
To play in South Carolina

Fritz Hollings: Hello, this is Senator Fritz Hollings. I've served as your Senator in Washington for the past 30-odd years. This year, we've got some good presidential candidates, but here we have the rare opportunity to vote for someone who's got it all. The best candidate, the best position on issues, by far the best chance of beating the Republicans. And he happens to be a South Carolina native. It's John Edwards. I've studied 'em all and John is the best. He knows what we face because he remembers where he came from. He's led on the economy and health care for everyone, not just for those on top. And he's calling national attention to problems others ignore, like poverty and making college affordable. John Edwards cares what we think and will listen to what we have to say.
I hope you'll join me in supporting John. He's one of our own.
Male Announcer: Paid for by John Edwards for President.
John Edwards: I’m John Edwards and I approve this message.

Campaign Statement

Seriously, where is Senator Clinton? She's been missing from the trail for two weeks.

New Endorsement: Mayor Joseph P. Riley
I’ve served as Mayor of Charleston since 1975. I've been honored with my great state's Order of the Palmetto, and I've been named South Carolinian of the Year. There's another person in the field, though, who's going to go on to do things just as good for the State of South Carolina - our native son, Senator John Edwards. I urge y'all to support him in the upcoming primary.

New Endorsement: Senator Fritz Hollings
Like Senator Edwards, I was accused of being a 'false populist' once. People accused me of scheming to try to secure the Negro vote by focusing on poverty. What I found, from long times spent working with people who are poor, hungry, living in slums, is that the poor don't vote. They're not registered to vote, they're not going to vote, you're not going to win an election because you're campaigning on hunger. You just don't. If someone's bringing the attention to poverty in this country like Senator Edwards is doing, it's because they genuinely want to help the poor.

New Endorsement: Service Employees International Union

It's with great pride that the over 2 million members united in SEIU endorse Senator John Edwards for President. He's the only candidate out there who's truly fighting for our vision of an America as a land of opportunity for all. We need a leader who's willing to fight for the needs of the other America, and stand with the hard-working families to demand that all pay their fair share.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »

This round closes tonight at 10:30 pm EST.
I will have polling/info up by tomorrow for Round IV.  
Is everyone up for a debate to take the place of Round IV and then moving to the middle of December for Round V.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »

Is everyone up for a debate to take the place of Round IV and then moving to the middle of December for Round V.
I dig that!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »

I definetly support the debate and moving to December, these games tend to suffer in November and we can keep the excellent momentum (in terms of activity) we have so far.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2014, 06:34:17 PM »

I'm good with that - though I question what'll happen to Clinton's numbers if she doesn't show up for a few months on the trail.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »

I'm good with that - though I question what'll happen to Clinton's numbers if she doesn't show up for a few months on the trail.
Should be interesting, especially when other candidates are directly targeting her for that.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »

Can we push the deadline to midnight?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »

Can we move that to tomorrow night please??
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »

Can we move that to tomorrow night please??
I'll move the deadline for tonight until tomorrow night at 9pm est.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »

Jesse Jackson (Kucinich Surrogate) Campaign Schedule: September 21-27

September 21
-Meet and Greet in Fort Lawn, SC
-Meet and Greet in Lamar, SC
-Meet and Greet in Due West, SC
-Meet and Greet in Iva, SC

September 22
-Meet and Greet in Holly Hill, SC
-Meet and Greet in Kershaw, SC
-Meet and Greet in Cowpens, SC

September 23
-Meet and Greet in Fairfax, SC
-Meet and Greet in Liberty, SC
-Town Hall in Union, SC
-Town Hall in Forest Acres, SC

September 24
-Town Hall in Cayce, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Myrtle Beach, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Mount Pleasant, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Rock Hill, SC

September 25
-Rally and Fundraiser in Greenville, SC
-Rally and Fundraiser in Charleston, SC
-Meeting with influential black pastors in Columbia, SC

September 26
-Rally and Fundraiser in Washington, D.C.
-Contacting civil rights leaders in Washington, D.C.

September 27
-Rest

Bernie Sanders (Kucinich Surrogate) Campaign Schedule: September 21-27

September 21
-Rest

September 22
-Rest

September 23
-Meet and Greet in Wilder, VT
-Meet and Greet in Milton, VT

September 24
-Meet and Greet in Canaan, NH
-Meet and Greet in Candia, NH
-Meet and Greet in Lee, NH

September 25
-Town Hall in Sandown, NH
-Town Hall in Meredith, NH
-Town Hall in Kingston, NH

September 26
-Town Hall in Plymouth, NH
-Town Hall in Bow, NH
-Town Hall in Newmarket, NH
-Town Hall in Hollis, NH

September 27
-Rally and Fundraiser in Portsmouth, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Hudson, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Concord, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Manchester, NH
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »

OOC; I saw your plan... Might I suggest Thanksgiving week instead?

Hillary Clinton Campaign Schedule

Sorry about my absence... Bill was having an operation to get "fixed", and it didn't go quite well... basically we asked for a single vasectomy, and he got a triple, which neither Bill or I knew was possible... needless to say he's exiting our Christmas card list!

September 21

Meet voters in Junction City, Arkansas

Meet voters in Junction City, Louisiana

Accept endorsement of EMILY's List in Slidell, Louisiana (With EMILY's List President Ellen Malcom)

When the Geraldine Ferraro's and the Shirley Chisholm's of the world were running for Vice-President and President not a person, man, woman or child thought they were serious. Now with Hillary Clinton here to accept the endorsement, of this venerable organization, designed to elect women to offices across this great land, we are delighted to have someone who has a serious chance of becoming America's first Madam President. Congratulations Senator Clinton.

Meet with voters in Lacombe, Louisiana

September 22

Meet with voters in Covington, Louisiana

Meet with voters in Rayville, Louisiana

Meet with voters in Delhi, Louisiana

Speech at Emma E. Booker School, Sarasota, Florida

There are very few reasons anymore as to what I agree with President Bush on, but in this school, his handling of the crisis on the dark days of September 11, 2001, with the unblinking eyes of second-graders staring up at him... Looking back, over three years after the fact I agreed with him that reading The Pet Goat was the right decision. As President one can certainly be afraid, they just can't show weakness. Unfortunately this was the last time President Bush did not show weakness. Encouraged by his good friend Don Rumsfeld he showed weakness in not sending enough troops to finish the job in Afghanistan. He projected unnecessary force in Iraq and showed weakness by not committing enough troops to finish the job. That dark day was the first time I agreed with George Bush, and it may end up being the last...

September 23

Rally at the Myrtle Beach Speedway, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

With oil demand approaching an all time high, it's time for NASCAR, and other entities to realize that we're using up an infinite resource, and that there are other drivers on this planet. No one's proposing a ban on Auto Racing, but please shorten the number of laps please.
(Followed by fifteen lap race between Joe Nemecheck, Casey Mears, Max Papis, Ron Fellows and Jack Sprague)

Speech from the Florence Civic Center, Florence, South Carolina

Out here in South Carolina, I know you respect your Representatives Seniority. You had Strom Thurmond, racist, and supporter of state's rights that he may have been serve you continuously in one capacity or another from 1947 until inauguration day of this year, and you have Ernest Hollings who has served the state since 1955 when he was elected Lieutenant Governor, and now seems to have decided to step from his thirty-eight year perch in the U.S Senate. All this turmoil has likely thrown you for a loop, and it's understandable. 

Meet Voters in Saltillo, Mississippi

September 24

Meet voters in Verona, Mississippi

Meet voters in Amory, Mississippi

Visit troops at Columbus Air Force Base, Columbus, Mississippi

It's really a shame Chelsea isn't willing to join the military, as I could think of so much she could learn from the experience.

Attend Panel discussion onThe Next Century (1991) in West Point Mississippi (With David Halberstan, Mikhail Gorbachev, Kim Dae-jung and Zhu Rongji)

September 25, and 26

Attend to Senate Matters in Washington D.C

September 27

Meet with voters in Zearing, Iowa

Meet With Voters in Nevada, Iowa.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

George Allen for President: September 21st - 27th Campaign Schedule

"In the darkest of times, what brings us together most is our values. I believe marriage is between one man and one woman, and we need to have a family-based system in order to survive. We need to encourage marriage more, we need to fight abortion where it stands, and we need to encourage more house ownership. I want to further the policies of this administration and get more and more people to own homes."

September 21st:
Announcing opening of Campaign Headquarters in Des Moines, Iowa
Barnstorming in West Des Moines, Iowa
Town Hall in Ankeny, Iowa
Barnstorming in Ames, Iowa
Town Hall in Boone, Iowa

September 22nd:
Barnstorming in Webster City, Iowa
Town Hall in Fort Dodge, Iowa
Barnstorming in Iowa Falls, Iowa
Rally in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Rally in Waterloo, Iowa

September 23rd:
Town Hall in Manchester, Iowa
Town Hall in Anamosa, Iowa
Barnstorming in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Televised Appearance

"Conservatives have seen Rudy Giuiliani's pro-choice and pro-gay marraige views, and they aren't pleased. I believe he will dampen turnout in the general election, and lead to a win for the Democrats. Those views are extreme to the American public, and will only lead to our defeat. I can offer a protection of our values, and I can offer a winning conservative platform."

September 24th:
Meet and Greet in Nashua, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Salem, New Hampshire
Barnstorming in Manchester, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Concord, New Hampshire
Town Hall in North Sutton, New Hampshire

September 25th:
Town Hall in North Mrytle Beach, South Carolina
Meet and Greet in Marion, South Carolina
Meet and Greet in Mullins, South Carolina
Town Hall in Conway, South Carolina
Barnstorming in Georgetown, South Carolina

"South Carolina voters understand the need for deep tax reform. My opponents will offer more carve-outs, minor cuts, and ultimately, no real reform. My plan is to reform to a flat tax, eliminating deductions with the exception of the Housing reduction, and expanding that one to encourage growth in owning homes. We need to encourage healthy familial relationships, and that can only happen when taxes are low and possible homes are abundant. Only a tax code as simple as the one I am willing to offer will do that."

September 26th:
Fundraiser in Beaufort, South Carolina
Barnstorming in Charleston, South Carolina
Town Hall in North Charleston, South Carolina
Town Hall in Mt. Peasant, South Carolina
Barnstorming in Summerville, South Carolina

September 27th:
Meet and Greeting St. Matthews, South Carolina
Barnstorming in Columbia, South Carolina
Barnstorming in Newberry, South Carolina
Fundraiser in Atlanta, Georgia
Town Hall in Athens, Georgia

New Ad: Family Values

George: "I wouldn't be the same person I am today without Susan."

Susan: "And I wouldn't be the same without George. Together, we make a good team. If I know anything about George, he's a fighter, and he cares deeply about this family. I know he will fight hard for your family."

George: "I'm George Allen, and I endorse this ad, because familys are important."
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »

Schedule is being typed.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2014, 08:04:14 PM »

Owens For President

Sept. 21
-Meetings with Iowa Activists (recruitment)
-Roundtable with two Iowa papers
-Fundraising banquet in Ames
-Sit down interview with local access TV (biographical questions

Sept. 22
-Travel South Carolina, barnstorm rural areas
-Policy speech on Terrorism
-Barnstorm high-value GOP areas
-Rally in Charleston with thousands of supporters

Excerpt from terrorism speech:

President Bush has faced a grave threat during his first term. It is a threat that had laid in the darkness, planning and conniving to attack our great nation. Until, on September 11th of 2001, they revealed themselves. President Bush, a strong Republican leader, did not sit back and consider appeasement as the Democrats of today do. He plotted a strategy based on our understanding of the War on Terror as it stood on September Twelfth.

I propose to continue President Bush's strength while altering the Pentagon's strategy. I will listen to our generals and take their advice on our direction in the Middle East. However, I believe that we must have a surge of intelligence assets and launch a more ambitious attack on terrorist elements with drones and technology. We must say to the Pakistanis that you are either with us or against us. We will expand the horizons of the War on Terror through new intelligence tools and technological assets.

Surrender was not an option for President Bush. And it will not be an option for my administration."

Sept. 23
-Walk door-to-door in targeted GOP neighborhoods with volunteers in SC
-Volunteer pizza party
-Church at megachurch, speak on the importance of strong communities
-Barnstorm military bases

Sept. 24
-Barnstorm targeted independents in New Hampshire
-Speak at local Republican meeting in New Hampshire
-Knock on doors with volunteers
-Rally with volunteers and families

Sept. 25
-Barnstorm and invite people to dinner
-Target GOP voters, coordinate volunteers
-Knock on doors
-Speak at local small business
-Barbecue with supporters, relaxed atmosphere big attendance

Sept. 26
-Barnstorm and invite to town hall
-Phone invitations to townhall
-Go doorknocking for townhall invitations
-Townhall

Excerpt of Townhall:

Questioner: How do you propose the Republican Party builds a winning coalition for the future?

Owens: I believe in this country and this party. I believe our message is strong. My campaign is about projecting a strong, positive governing vision of this country. That's winning. My campaign in the fall will put historic effort into addressing the issues of poverty and crime that plague minority communities. As governor of a very Hispanic state, I tend to have a more compassionate view of immigration reform. Our party can win in the fall and win in the future.

Sept. 27
-Church in Iowa with family
-Church in South Carolina with family
-Rest
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »

Working on surrogates now.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »

Mitt

Sept. 21-24
-Be Governor

Sept. 25
-Barnstorm targeted New Hampshire voters
-Rally supporters
-Go knock on doors

Sept. 26
-Megafundraiser with private equity execs.

Sept. 27
-Church with family
-Mix with Sunday crowd

Rick

Sept. 21
-Barnstorm Iowa
-Meet with Evangelical leaders
-Talk with Family Leader staff

Sept. 22
-Work the big social conservative groups
-Sell immigration reform to conservatives, evangelicals

Sept. 23