2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 04:36:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 156078 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: May 22, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for Feb. 25th-March 2nd, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Theodore Olson
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster:Mike DuHaime

Feb. 25th, 2004; Ohio
-- Barnstorm in Akron, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Frist, and Sen. Voinovich
-- Tour of a UPS Processing Center in Akron, OH with Gov. Taft and Sen Voinovich
-- Barnstorm in New Franklin, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Frist, and Sen. Voinovich
-- Barnstorm in Cuyahoga Falls, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen Frist, and Sen. Voinovich

Feb. 26th, 2004; Ohio
-- Interview with  WSYX in Cleveland, OH
-- Barnstorm in Cleveland, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. DeWine
-- GOTV Rally in Cleveland, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. DeWine
-- Barnstorm in Bedford Heights, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinovich, and Sen. DeWine
-- Barnstorm in Maple Heights, OH with Gov. Taft, Sen. Voinvoich, and Sen. DeWine
-- Drive to Maryland

Feb. 27th, 2004; Maryland
-- Barnstorm in Germantown, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Spkr. Hastert
-- Barnstorm in Rocktown, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Spkr. Hastert
-- Barnstorm in Gaithersburg, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Spkr. Hastert
-- Townhall in Gaithersburg, MD with Gov. Ehrlich and Rep. Gilchrest

Feb. 28th, 2004; Maryland
-- Barnstorm in Baltimore, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Gov. Carcieri
-- Interview with WBAL in Baltimore, MD with Gov. Ehrlich
-- Barnstorm in Greater Upper Marlboro, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Gov. Carcieri
-- Barnstorm in Columbia, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Gov. Carcieri

Feb. 29th, 2004; Maryland
-- Townhall in Columbia, MD with Gov. Ehrlich and Rep. Gilchrest
-- Interview on Meet the Press via satellite
-- Interview on This Week via satellite
-- GOTV Rally in Ellicott City, MD with Gov. Ehrlich
-- Barnstorm in Ellicott City, MD with Gov. Ehrlich, Rep. Gilchrest, and Gov. Carcieri
-- Fly to Minnesota

March 1st, 2004; Minnesota
-- Barnstorm in St. Paul, MN with Gov. Pawlenty, Sen. Coleman, and Sen. Grams
-- GOTV Rally at Macalester College with Gov. Pawlenty and Sen. Coleman
-- Barnstorm in Minneapolis, MN with Gov. Pawlenty, Sen. Coleman, and Sen. Grams
-- Interview with KMSP in Minneapolis, MN
-- Barnstorm in Bloomington, MN with Gov. Pawlenty, Sen. Coleman, and Sen. Grams
-- Fly to California

March 2nd, 2004; California
-- Interview with KCRA in Sacramento, CA
-- Barnstorm in Sacramento, CA with Gov. Schwarzenneger, Gov. Wilson, and Pres. H.W.Bush
-- Townhall in Elk Grove, CA with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Gov. Wilson, and Nancy Reagan
-- Barnstorm in Rancho Cordova, CA with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Gov. Wilson, and Pres. H.W. Bush
-- GOTV Rally at Sacramento City College with Gov. Schwarzenegger and Gov. Wilson
-- Election Night Rally in San Francisco, CA with Gov. Schwarzenegger, Gov. Wilson, and Pres. H.W.Bush
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #676 on: May 22, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »

Giuliani Surrogates, Feb.25th-March 2nd, 2004

Gov. George Pataki
Barnstorming in Maryland

Mayor Michael Bloomberg
Barnstorming in Maryland

Senator John McCain
Barnstorming and GOTV in Ohio

Governor Angus King
Barnstorming in Minnesota

Fmr. First Lady Nancy Reagan
Barnstorming in California

Senator George Voinovich
Barnstorming in Ohio

Mr. Sheldon Adelson
Fundraising in California

Former President Jerry Ford

Governor Terry Branstad

Senator Kit Bond

House Majority Whip Roy Blunt

Mr. John Elway

Senator Norm Coleman
Barnstorming and GOTV in Minnesota

Governor Pete Wilson

Former Vice President Dan Quayle

Former Senator Howard Baker
Barnstorming in Ohio

Senator Lamar Alexander
Barnstorming in Ohio

House Speaker Dennis Hastert
Barnstorming and GOTV in Maryland

Former Senator Fred Thompson
Barnstorming in Ohio

Senator Larry Pressler

Governor John Hoeven

Governor Mike Rounds

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Jack Kemp

Senator Bob Dole

General Norman Schwarzkopf

International Association of Fire Fighters
GOTV Rallies in Maryland and Ohio

Senator Connie Mack III

Dick Cheney
Barnstorming and fundraising in Ohio

Kay Bailey Hutchison
Barnstorming in Ohio

Linda Lingle

Kenny Guinn

Mary Matalin

Larry Craig

Bill Owens

Paul Cellucci
Barnstorming in Maryland

John H. Sununu
Barnstorming in Maryland

John Ensign

Tom Petri

Mike DeWine
Barnstorming in Ohio

Donald Carcieri
Barnstorming in Maryland

George H.W. Bush
Barnstorming and Fundraising in California

Tim Pawlenty
Barnstorming and GOTV in Minnesota

Rod Grams
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #677 on: May 22, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »

"May I just respond to Giuliani's little distortion for a minute. Maybe it was my fault for not being entirely clear, but we are in the middle of two wars, and my belief is that the War in Afghanistan is the one we should be putting more focus on. The War in Iraq is still necessary, but since we've captured Saddham Hussein, the mission there is of declining importance compared to global terror. Instead there we should focus on putting the crumbled egg known as the nation of Iraq back together, and that's what I'll do as President. Playing word games with the Mayor of New York City is amusing, but it's purely a distraction."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #678 on: May 22, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »

"Senator, I did not distort anything. Look at the transcripts. You made no mention of Afghanistan and the question was in regards to the War in Iraq. It's not a distortion or a distraction on my part, Senator, if your statements aren't clear. I simply pointed out the confusion of your response. The American people need to be sure where their President stands and they don't know with you, Senator. That's a serious fault in a candidate, a serious difference between the two of us. The American people know me, they know my positions, they know where I stand. Where do you stand, Senator Allen, other than 'Conservative'?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #679 on: May 22, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »

"I don't want to get this too heated, but I find it hilarious that Rudy Giuliani, who has been hiding from the American people on just about every non-foreign policy issue, from taxes to abortion to gun control, to say that people don't know where I stand. I've run a campaign on the issues, any time I try to engage you on your faults, you try to make it about me stalling your general election run. It's a primary Rudy, this is what this is for. My position on Iraq is clear, I've explained it many times, we need to fix and set up a Democratic, stable Iraq, and I think military resources should be pushed more toward the War on Afghanistan, because Osama Bin Laden is still on the run."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #680 on: May 22, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »

"There you go again, George. [laughs] I've been the national spot-light since 1983 when I took on organized crime as Associate Attorney General. I've talked about every issue under the sun from abortion, to gun control, to foreign policy. I'm preparing a new minimum wage policy, I've expressed my opinions on abortion and gun control, I've even released my tax returns. I do speak a lot about foreign policy, because it's a critical issue in this campaign. The election, in November, will be decided on foreign policy. Yes, abortion and other conservative talking points may bring up tense emotions and get people into the polls but foreign policy will be the defining issue of this campaign. We cannot focus on these social issues if we want to win, as a party, and stay in the White House. You can bet Hillary Clinton won't be giving stump speeches on abortion, she'll be talking about Iraq and Afghanistan."
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #681 on: May 22, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »

Giuliani Endorsments

Congressman Wayne Gilchrest There's only one candidate who can win in November. There's only one candidate who can really stand up to the Democrats and beat them. There's only one candidate who can out debate all the Democratic candidates. That man is Rudy Giuliani and that's why I'm backing him for President.
- Congressman Gilchrest spends February 25th to March 1st barnstorming across Maryland for Mayor Giuliani. He spends March 2nd whipping out voters and co-coordinating various GOTV efforts in the Baltimore area.

Governor Bob Ehrlich Rudy Giuliani is a great man. He's a well rounded and likable candidate. He knows how to stand up for himself and defend his positions. He's not afraid to take an position, even if it's not popular at the moment. That's the kind of man Maryland, and America, needs as President.
- Governor Ehrlich spends February 25th to February 29th barnstorming across Maryland for Mayor Giuliani. He spends March 1st and 2nd coordinating statewide GOTV efforts across the state.

Governor Bob Taft Ohio is the American heartland. It is the home of all kinds of Americans and it is the center of American Industry. From the factories in Akron to the farms in Athens, Ohio is a America on a micro-scale. Only one candidate for President understands Ohio and can represent it as President. Only one candidate for President understands America and can represent it as President. That's why I'm endorsing Rudy Giuliani for President.
- Governor Taft spends February 25th-March 1st barnstorming across Ohio for Mayor Giuliani. He spends March 2nd coordinating GOTV efforts across the state.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist I've worked with George Allen since 1995. He's a good man. But he's too conservative to win nationally, he barely won in Virginia over Chuck Robb. George Allen is not able to set aside his partisan feelings and that's a bad trait for a President. I don't know if Senator Allen is experienced enough to be President, he's never had any executive experience and the Presidency is not a job for on-the-job training. Rudy Giuliani is experienced, he'll be able to hit the ground running, and he'll make a great President.
- Senator Frist spends February 25th-March 2nd barnstorming across Ohio for Mayor Giuliani.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #682 on: May 22, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

First off, Presidential candidates ranging from FDR to Reagan have used ambassadorships, cabinet positions and other offices to reward people who endorse them. My staff told John Huntsman that there was a possibility of a position in my administration. My staff did not say that there was necessarily going to be one available. We took the same approach with Chuck Robb and the same approach with Antonio Villariagosa, who openly asked Mark Penn to Ambassador to Mexico. We told him we couldn't promise him anything, even if we won. Has this damaged my chances? It probably has. And I admit that If I do drop out at any point, from here on out, I am definitely going to consider resigning my Senate seat.

I think I said something in the debate in Detroit, about this very topic. The plan was simple, consult with the Generals responsible for the war, and either send in enough troops to deal with the sectarian violence that is occurring there, or get the hell out of dodge. Obviously, like most Americans I prefer option B, but we can't leave civilians dying in the streets of Baghdad, especially as an occupying power, which is why we can't just walk out. We have to ensure that Iraq will be able to handle their problems without killing each other, and more importantly without a proxy war between the powers of the Middle East, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Iran.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: May 22, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist I've worked with George Allen since 1995. He's a good man. But he's too conservative to win nationally, he barely won in Virginia over Chuck Robb. George Allen is not able to set aside his partisan feelings and that's a bad trait for a President. I don't know if Senator Allen is experienced enough to be President, he's never had any executive experience and the Presidency is not a job for on-the-job training. Rudy Giuliani is experienced, he'll be able to hit the ground running, and he'll make a great President.
- Senator Frist spends February 25th-March 2nd barnstorming across Ohio for Mayor Giuliani.

OOC: Bill First is an idiot lol.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #684 on: May 22, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »

Statement from the Giuliani Campaign

The Giuliani Campaign would like to issue a formal apology to Senator Allen and his campaign. Senator Bill Frist, in his endorsement speech for Mayor Giuliani, inaccurately said that Allen had no executive experience. This is just not true. Senator Allen was Governor of Virginia before becoming a Senator. The Giuliani Campaign apologizes for Senator Frist's inaccuracy. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #685 on: May 23, 2014, 12:47:33 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 12:52:03 AM by badgate »

Biden Acceptance Speech
in Providence, RI

Wow! Wow, what a great night for this campaign! (Cheers) That's right folks! (people won't stop cheering) Alright, alright, settle down. (laughter)

Wow, congratulations to our splendid volunteers in Idaho and Hawaii. We are running a grassroots primary campaign, and in each of our three recent victories, it has been because the people of those states owned their choice and hit the pavement to make sure the right candidate got their delegates. It is so inspirational to see that happen and see that the people are responding best to our message of peace and prosperity in an American 21st century.

Now the last tracking poll had us down in Rhode Island, but they've had is down before! (cheers) And they've counted us out before! (more cheers) And we're going to go out tomorrow, talk to the people of this state, and win the Rhode Island primary! We're gonna win on Super Tuesday! (cheers hit fever pitch, energetic Phil Collins song begins playing) Thank you! God bless you! And bless every state in the United States of America! (energetic response) (Phil Collins blaring)

Listen to Biden's campaign song here!

Statement from Biden Campaign

The campaign has reallocated its field organizers to the Super Tuesday states accordingly: California - 8, Massachusetts - 1, Rhode Island - 1, Connecticut - 2, Maryland - 1, Ohio - 3.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #686 on: May 23, 2014, 01:42:51 AM »

Gary Johnson Victory Speech:

They said we didn't have a shot, but here we are! I want to thank everyone that came out and voted for us! YOU showed that it's people that matter, not big money! I want to give a big shout out to all our volunteers, they really are the unsung heroes in this campaign, and they deserve a lot of credit! Let's continue this fight for liberty, let's fight to LIVE FREE!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #687 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:08 AM »

Out of curiosity, where is the debate held?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #688 on: May 23, 2014, 03:41:48 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 03:45:27 AM by badgate »

Presidential Primary Debate: Democrats

To Senator Biden: Senator, according to pundits the problem with the Democratic nomination race is that no one has been able to seal the deal and unite the party. Assuming you win the nomination, can you unite the party and would consider your opponents as a running mate?

Well, this sounds a little like a sly question trying to get me to reveal a list of Vice Presidential candidates. (Laughter) Thing is, I don't put the cart before the horse. Unlike Senator Clinton, who has been suggesting cabinet appointments to secure endorsements...perhaps this question was meant for her. I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have no such list.

You're right that the party has yet to unite around a candidate. I believe that with my leadership the Democratic party and the nation will unite around our campaign. In some ways, the last few weeks have been a competition of personalities. And I'll tell ya, I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet. But that's not all I am.

You've probably heard lately, but I've been in the Senate for some time. And I've gotten a lot done. I'm ready to do more as President. I will be a Democratic nominee that won't be ashamed of the letter or label. I'm proud that I'm pro-choice, a devout Catholic, and firmly ready to hold the line on Social Security. I'll be proud to sign into law the Employer Non-Discrimination Act, raise the minimum wage, and pursue a return to diplomacy abroad. I can unite this party to my platform because my platform is the party, and when we convene in Boston, we
will unite the Democratic party.

I've said before, the Bush administration did severe damage here, and any solution will require long-term thinking. That is just the reality of where we are in Iraq and what we need to take in stock while setting the path forward. I firmly believe that our national identity comes with a responsibility to be ethical, honest, and strong leaders in the world. It is my belief that we should work to stabilize the nation of Iraq. Our departing President, George Bush, swindled us with false information and deceived the international community as well. This is not a legacy I intend to carry on in the White House.

My administration will set a timetable and work with the UN to hold regional elections for a constitutional convention in Geneva, followed by parliamentary elections in Iraq. Once the parliament is in place it will ratify the constitution and elect a Prime Minister. While some troops already in Iraq may continue their deployment to help train the Iraqi National Guard, it is my intention that we will use economic aid rather than a surge of American sons and daughters, to finish our work in Iraq.

In the meantime I will direct Congress to find a way to grant medical coverage of all returning veterans, starting on day one. It is our responsibility that our servicewomen and men are taken care of and supported, that we repair the wounds caused by this ill-conceived war and occupation.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #689 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:39 AM »

First Lady Owens files for Divorce

Denver, CO- Earlier today, the First Lady of Colorado filed for divorce from sitting Governor Bill Owens. Owens, who mounted a very serious and credible campaign for the presidency, took a lot of time off on the trail and has been reportedly devastated by the divorce. The time spent with his family, many say, cost him a large amount of support. He has since endorsed Rudy Giuliani for President.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #690 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:14 AM »

On behalf of all of us at the Edwards campaign, I offer my personal sympathies to Governor Owens. We had significant disagreements on matters of policy, but that never became a personal resentment. I wish him happiness and luck in his future endeavors.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #691 on: May 23, 2014, 11:37:24 AM »

Out of curiosity, where is the debate held?
Ohio.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #692 on: May 23, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »

New Endorsements for Hillary Clinton

Senator Chris Dodd
Woodstock, Connecticut

Why should I endorse Senator Clinton at her most vulnerable point? Because the reality is anyone is better than what the Republicans are endorsing, Senator is still at the moment, our best chance to win in November, and besides, I really want to stick it to Mayor Giuliani, who has insulted the good citizens of Connecticut one too many times.

Former New York City Mayor David Dinkins
Apollo Theater, Harlem, Manhattan

I know many of you are bitter that there is no strong African-American candidate to be found, but we must put aside our differences and support our Senator Hillary Clinton, who in so many ways is the antithesis to my predessecor as mayor, Rudy Giuliani. She hasn't pursued racist policing policies that have ended in the injuries deaths of our young citizens, like Amber Louima, Amadou Diallo, and Patrick Dorismond, She has been married to one person through her career, no matter how ridiculous with Bill Clinton seems, The Rudy Guliani divorce debacle, with two angry women, prostate cancer, and getting kicked out of Gracie Mansion? And please don't get me started about all the photos of him dressing in drag at that time... In some ways the Clintons have a more civilized marriage than anything Rudy Giuliani has had.

Unisphere, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, New York

Some may endorse Senator Clinton out of Rationalistic pride, others may endorse Senator Clinton to break some sort of ceiling, I'm endorsing her because I love her idea of a Federal Department of Sports and Entertainment, especially the way she appears to have constructed it.

Senator Lincoln Chafee
McCoy Stadium, Pawtucket, Rhode Island

I look at the way Rhode Island has trending politically, and I realize, I probably need to endorse a Democrat. The question became who? Representative Kucinich is too far to the left for me, Senator Biden ran in 1988 and blew his best chance by not running in 1992, and Senator Edwards while a great Vice-Presidential choice... I'm a Northeastern Republican and I've had years with a more liberal voting record than Edwards. That leaves Hillary Clinton and scandal or not she remains the strongest Democrat in the General Election, and the one I am throwing my support to.

Senator Mary Landreiu
Burton Coliseum, Lake Charles Louisiana

When I thought about who to endorse, I just had to think back to Senator Clinton's speech in Oklahoma, slamming the Republicans for cutting funding for prediction of future natural disasters, and then demolishing them for cutting funding for FEMA as well, which would help us dig out of such a natural disaster. That made my choice a heck of a lot easier, especially as someone who vividly remembers watching news reports about Hurricane Camille in 1969, with shock, and then again in 1989 with Hugo and one more time with Andrew in 1992, by which point I was praying that such would not befall Louisiana. Well if Republicans don't want to tell us, than we won't elect them.

Senator Bill Nelson
Universal Studios, Florida Orlando, Florida

I know what you're all thinking, why would I endorse Senator Clinton from a Theme Park? Think of it as a commentary on the Republican race, which is full of politicians behaving like children, whereas for the most part our primary has mostly been people behaving like adults.

Governor Kathleen Sebelius
Beluve, Kansas

Once Senator Clinton won in Oklahoma and Missouri, that sealed my endorsement of her. She's a strong determined warrior for beliefs (whatever they are) and she remains our strongest in the general election, scandal be damned. Why wouldn't I support her?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: May 23, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »

I thought we settled on a limit of five!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #694 on: May 23, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »

First, I never agreed to a specific limit, second, you're about to win parties nomination... you'll have all the endorsements you want soon, so why are you complaining?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #695 on: May 23, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

ooc: my mood while writing Biden's schedule & endorsements http://youtu.be/iiXOyOQJd30
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »

Press Release: Records

"I'm a Northeastern Republican and I've had years with a more liberal voting record than Edwards." I assume that wasn't counting how Senator Chafee stands on Social Security. Senator Chafee has expressed his support for individual accounts - privatizing Social Security. It's truly bizarre that he would attack my campaign from the left, when it's my campaign that has stood against efforts to privatize Social Security. I support changing the current tax exemption on people making over $200,000 a year who pay Social Security tax on less than half of their income - that's my solution. A solution that's fair and progressive, not the solution that would cut guaranteed benefits and risk the retirements of our seniors in the stock market. Think about that before your cast your vote based on whether Lincoln Chafee thinks I'm a liberal.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: May 23, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »

New Endorsements

Minnesota Congressman Gil Gutknecht - Allen's our man

"Allen has been a strong leader in my party for fiscal restraint, having proposed a balanced budget amendment, a line item veto, and a paycheck penalty act. None of them passed yet, but that's why we need him in the White House. As Virginia's Governor, he passed many things that otherwise would not have gotten through, and that executive leadership is definitely needed in a decaying Washington."

Fomer Congressman John Kasich - Let's fall in line, behind Allen

"This election is getting heated, I know that. While both candidates are at fault, let me make it clear here: we need a candidate who will defend our family values, fight strongly against terror, and will balance the budget, and the only one who does all of those things sensibly is George Allen. We need conservatives, but most importantly, the entire Republican party, to start falling in line, otherwise we may have a problem in the general election."

Trade Rep. Rob Portman to back George Allen

Dayton, Ohio - Trade Representative Rob Portman returned to his home state of Ohio to endorse George Allen for President. Under his reasoning, he pointed to the Allen record in the state of Virginia. "We need bold leadership in Washington, and in Virginia, Allen has already showed that he has those skills" said Portman, "We don't need a President who needs on the job training. Luckily, George Allen doesn't need it." Portman also cited George Allen's strong record in favor of free trade.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #698 on: May 23, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »

Statement from Dr. Jill Biden

Early this morning Joe and I spoke to Governor Owens, and separately spoke with Frances Owens. We offered both of them our prayers and support as they undergo this difficult time for their family. With respect for their privacy, that is all we will say on the matter.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #699 on: May 23, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »

John Edwards Debate Responses

I'm not a one-term Senator - that's not something that defines who I am. What I am is a self-made man who grew up in small-town North Carolina as the son of a mill worker, going to public schools and being the first person in my family to attend college. Working alongside my father at the mill was how I began to develop my commitment to giving all Americans the equal opportunity they deserve. I made my own career, representing ordinary Americans victimized by powerful interests. I helped these regular, hard-working people who had to go up against armies of corporate lawyers, overcome tremendous challenges, get the justice that they deserved. When I first ran for the Senate, I already had 20 years of helping average Americans battle through some of their darkest moments. When I ran, I kept up that support, unseating a member of the corrupt Jesse Helms machine without taking a dime from lobbyists. In the Senate, I serve on the Select Committee on Intelligence, where I've worked to strengthen our security and writing key pieces of legislation on cyber, bio, and port security, giving me the national security experience relevant to confronting the increasingly complex global environment we live in today. I've spent six years in the Senate, yes. But I've spent nearly 30 years as an advocate for the good, hard-working Americans I grew up with, people who want nothing more than to leave a better life for their children. My experience is a lifetime of fighting for the American people, and that's what they'll get out of me as President.

What we need in Iraq more than anything is stability. To get stability, we need a political solution - the Iraqi people must take responsibility for the chaos in their country. It's a political solution that will end the violence and create a stable Iraq, one that involves the Iraqi people, regional powers, and the entire international community. To that end, I support immediately withdrawing tens of thousands of combat troops, and bringing home the rest in nine to ten months - that means no permanent military bases. What we really need is a diplomatic surge, to engage all nations in the region in reaching a political solution, engage in direct talks and convene a regional peace conference. I support keeping quick reaction forces in friendly countries like Kuwait, to prevent regional spillover, genocide, or Al Qaeda safe havens in Iraq, but in Iraq itself we should only leave a few thousand troops to guard the embassy and humanitarian workers.

I voted for the Iraq War in 2002. I was wrong, and I take responsibility for that mistake. It's been hard to say that because those who didn't make a mistake - the men and women of our armed forces and their families - have performed heroically and paid a dear price. The truth is, I've learned from my mistakes. As President, I won't repeat the mistakes we made in Iraq, especially not in our future dealings with other states in the region like Iran.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies