2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154203 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 05, 2014, 09:04:50 AM »

OOC: Expatriates primary?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #901 on: June 05, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

Yes, I will announce those with the closure of the next round.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #902 on: June 05, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »

OOC: Does this round really last for 21 days, or is that a typo?
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #903 on: June 05, 2014, 04:02:27 PM »

ooc: For me it says that it ends June 10 at 12:01am EST; June 10 is next Tuesday
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #904 on: June 05, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »

ooc: For me it says that it ends June 10 at 12:01am EST; June 10 is next Tuesday

I meant IG. It says March 21st to April 13th.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #905 on: June 05, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »

I meant IG. It says March 21st to April 13th.

Yes. All candidates can do abbreviated schedules over the period. The 13th is the Colorado Caucuses.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #906 on: June 05, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »

Colorado Caucuses: Poll

John Edwards: 48%
Joe Biden: 48%
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #907 on: June 05, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »

John F. Kennedy Library and Museum

First off let me say that Bill made it through surgery just fine, and is currently resting at the Maimonides Medical Center in Brooklyn. But that is not why I'm here. I'm here because I've seen the past couple of states split down the middle, and I, like so many of my colleagues don't want a brokered convention. With that in mind I look at the remaining field, and I see two candidates, that though imperfect, can defeat Rudy Giuliani and Gary Johnson in November, can keep our party together and can bring us victories in Congress as well. I feel bitter about having to choose, but choose I must. Therefore I endorse Senator John Edwards for President He's ahead in delegates, and he needs our support now! Senator Biden's run a magnificent race, but it's time for him to step aside.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #908 on: June 05, 2014, 08:05:51 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: HILLARY CLINTON ENDORSES JOHN EDWARDS FOR PRESIDENT

Hillary Clinton has backed John Edwards in the race for the Democratic Nomination. She praised Senator Biden for having run a 'magnificent race' but believed for the strength of the party in November it was time to unite behind Edwards, who still leads in the delegate count. No response yet from either camp on the endorsement.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #909 on: June 05, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: HILLARY CLINTON ENDORSES JOHN EDWARDS FOR PRESIDENT

Hillary Clinton has backed John Edwards in the race for the Democratic Nomination. She praised Senator Biden for having run a 'magnificent race' but believed for the strength of the party in November it was time to unite behind Edwards, who still leads in the delegate count. No response yet from either camp on the endorsement.

Out of curiosity how many delegates are/were needed? (Edwards may be over the nomination threshold)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #910 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »

Remarks on the Clinton Endorsement

March 21, 2004, at the Carolina Inn, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Thank you, Democrats! I'm proud to stand before you here today as your party's presumptive nominee for President of the United States. I'd especially like to thank Senator Clinton, whose endorsement means that it is now numerically impossible for Senator Biden to pass me in the delegate count; and Senator Biden, thank you for a well-fought race. We've seen a conductive and generally civil dialogue about the direction of our party, and should things have turned out differently I would gladly be standing here and offering you my endorsement.

Now, we turn our focus to November. I began this campaign on a promise to build One America - an America where everyone has a fair opportunity to realize their dreams, no matter where they come from. That's a promise I hold still. My dream is an America where every American can have the same opportunity I did - the opportunity to work hard and build a better life. That's not the case in today's two Americas - two Americas, one where families are working harder for stagnating wages, where forty-seven million lack insurance, where families and businesses are struggling to pay skyrocketing premiums. There's an America where 37 million Americans wake up in poverty every day. There's an America where middle-class wages have stagnated despite a growing economy. But there's also another America: one where there are nearly 60 lobbyists for every member of Congress, and one where the President's tax and trade policies increase the burden on America's workers. My personal commitment is to eliminating poverty within a generation, achieving truly universal health coverage, and helping families save and get ahead. As President, we will see better healthcare, lower costs, and coverage for every man, woman, and child in America; a pathway to ending poverty; and hope restored to America's forgotten rural communities. We will see an America that is energy-independent, that thrives on an energy-efficient and clean, renewable energy economy. We will see an America that has one, not two, school systems - one united, equal system. My administration will invest in our teachers, educate our children, and make college more affordable - all necessary steps that we must take to build one America.

Our image abroad, previously one of leadership, has been badly tarnished by the war on Iraq, our refusal to join the world in working to halt global warming, and repeated violations of Americans' constitutional rights - a focus on America's economic and military strength, while ignoring our moral strength as an example for the world. Under my administration, we will leave Iraq, and repurpose our leadership role towards other great challenges: ending the genocide in Darfur and the conflict in Uganda and fighting the scourges of global poverty and disease. We will see a strong, principled national security policy as the foundation of our national security. You have my pledge that I will strengthen homeland security, stand by our soldiers at every turn, and respect the Constitution and live up to our ideals in the fight against terrorism. And I will honor our lifelong commitment to those who sacrificed the most for our country, by repairing our sacred contract with America's military families and veterans. Only then can America once again be looked up to and respected around the world.

It will take strong, bold steps to move forward and build one America. My campaign is the one dedicated to putting Washington back on the side of regular families. Thank you all - and I hope to be thanking y'all again in November.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #911 on: June 05, 2014, 08:34:16 PM »

Out of curiosity how many delegates are/were needed? (Edwards may be over the nomination threshold)

With your endorsement I have 1836 delegates and Biden has 659. The remaining contests have 1056 unallocated delegates.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #912 on: June 05, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2014, 10:53:45 PM by dkrolga »

Statement from the Giuliani Campaign

Senator John Edwards has, thanks to the endorsement of Senator Hillary Clinton, clinched the Democratic Nomination for President. It is mathematically, with the number of Democratic delegates remaining, for Senator Joe Biden to win the nomination. He is now, as far as our campaign is concerned, the Democratic nominee for President. Vice President Giuliani wants to congratulate the Senator on his victory and say that he looks forward to presenting their ideas for America's future over the course of the next 9 months. He would also like to thank Senator Biden running a strong campaign and bringing numerous important issues to the forefront of debate.

Redacted, based on NHI's ruling.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #913 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »

With your endorsement I have 1836 delegates and Biden has 659. The remaining contests have 1056 unallocated delegates.
2,162 delegates are needed to clinch the Democratic nomination, so technically the race is still on...
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #914 on: June 05, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »

Rudy Giuliani Campaign Schedule for March 21st-April 13th, 2004

Giuliani 2004 Campaign Staff
National Co-Chairmen: Presidents Gerald Ford and George H.W. Bush
Campaign Director: Mary Matalin
Chief of Staff: Tony Carbonetti
Chief Political Strategist: Theodore Olson
Chief Spokeswoman: Katie Levinson
Chief Pollster:Mike DuHaime

March 21st-24th, 2004; Oregon
-- Barnstorming in Oregon’s 2nd Congressional District with Gov. Wilson and Sen. Seymour
-- Barnstorming in Oregon’s 4th Congressional District with Gov. Wilson and Sen. Seymour
-- Barnstorming in Oregon’s 5th Congressional District with Gov. Wilson and Sen. Seymour

March 25th-March 27th; Nevada
-- Barnstorming in Nevada’s 2nd Congressional District with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Barnstorming in Nevada’s 3rd Congressional District with Gov. Guinn and Sen. Ensign
-- Fundraising in Nevada’s 3rd Congressional District with Gov. Guinn, Sen. Ensign, and Sheldon Adelson

March 28th-April 1st, 2004; New Mexico
-- Barnstorming in New Mexico’s 1st Congressional District with Sen. McCain and VP Quayle
-- Voters forum at New Mexico State University with Sen. McCain and VP Quayle
-- Barnstorming in New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District with Sen. McCain and VP Quayle

April 2nd-April 8th, 2004: West Virginia
-- Barnstorming in West Virginia's 1st Congressional District with SoS Manchin, Rep. Capito, and Sen. Allen
-- Barnstorming in West Virginia's 2nd Congressional District with SoS Manchin, Rep. Capito,  and Sen. Allen
-- Barnstorming in West Virginia’s 3rd Congressional District with SoS Manchin, Rep. Capito, and Sen. Allen

April 8th-April 10th, 2004; Pennsylvania
-- Barnstorming in Pennsylvania’s 4th Congressional District with Sen. Allen and Sen. Santorum
-- Barnstorming in Pennsylvania's 10th Congressional District with Sen. Allen and Sen. Santorum
-- Barnstorming in Pennsylvania’s 11th Congressional District with Sen. Allen and Sen. Santorum

April 11th-April 13th, 2004; Ohio
-- Voters Forum at Kent State University with Gov. Taft and Sen. Voinovoich
-- Barnstorming in Ohio’s 2nd Congressional District with Gov. Taft, Sen. DeWine, and Sen. Voinovich
-- Barnstorming in Ohio’s 8th Congressional District with Gov. Taft, Sen. DeWine and Sen. Voinovich
-- Barnstorming in Ohio’s 15th Congressional District with Gov. Taft, Sen. DeWine, and Sen. Voinovich
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #915 on: June 05, 2014, 08:42:45 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 08:54:57 PM by NHI »

BREAKING NEWS:

EDWARDS THE PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE?!
CLINTON BACKS FORMER RIVAL -- PICKS UP LEAD IN DELEGATES
Hillary Clinton's endorsement guarantees John Edwards 1,836 delegates. 2,162 delegates are needed to win the Democratic Nomination and of the remaining race there are 1056 unallocated delegates. Edwards, is 326 delegate away from clinching the Democratic nomination. At this time Edwards is seen as the presumptive Democratic nominee. Joe Biden is 1,503 delegates shy of winning the nomination and of the remaining contests there are 1,056 unallocated delegates remaining.
No response from Joe Biden over Clinton's endorsement of Edwards, or the overall race for the nomination.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #916 on: June 05, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 08:50:39 PM by badgate »

OOC: Well I guess I'll point out that 1) NYE left this game and IMO has no right to come back and decide how Clinton endorses. Had I left the game as Biden without endorsing I would not come back and do this. And 2) Clinton said she would endorse after a clear delegate lead was established; we have actually become closer in delegates since then. I haven't decided how I'll respond as Biden.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #917 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:46 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 08:54:21 PM by NHI »

State of the Democratic Race
Hillary Clinton: 966
John Edwards: 1,836
Joe Biden: 659
Dennis Kucinich: 168

2,162 Delegates Required to Win The Nomination
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #918 on: June 05, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

2,162 delegates are needed to clinch the Democratic nomination, so technically the race is still on...

It's kinda iffy and I didn't know whether to pull the trigger on it or not, but all I need now is the endorsement of a little over 40% of the superdelegates to formally clinch it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #919 on: June 05, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »

OOC: Well I guess I'll point out that 1) NYE left this game and IMO has no right to come back and decide how Clinton endorses. Had I left the game as Biden without endorsing I would not come back and do this. And 2) Clinton said she would endorse after a clear delegate lead was established; we have actually become closer in delegates since then. I haven't decided how I'll respond as Biden.

Might I point out that Senator Clinton, probably assumed the next couple of contests would provide a decisive outcome (BTW If I'd come back and found you'd won Florida, that would have kept Hillary neutral (in my eyes, don't ask NHI) a few more weeks)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #920 on: June 05, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »

I must concur with badgate. It's kinda unfair to leave the game and then come back and all but totally decide the Democratic Nominee.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #921 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »

I must concur with badgate. It's kinda unfair to leave the game and then come back and all but totally decide the Democratic Nominee.
Yes, It's unfair, but I would think the real Hillary would do something like this. Also If I was any emotional state to draft a statement as Hillary I would have pretty much done what NHI did (minus a reference to a time frame for an endorsement). NHI had my approval for the statement (even it was delivered after the fact), so just consider me speaking through NHI.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #922 on: June 05, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »

Same here. I like how NHI is doing this (congratulations, BTW!) but his last decision was really, really unfair.

And I think the race was waaaay more interesting without NYE in the mix and with Biden and Edwards in a close fight in every state. I know the main purpose of each one of you is winning the game, but think about having fun, too. I doubt SJoyce (as Edwards) will enjoy any other "battle" as much as this one, and it was keeping the game "active"... Believe me, once it's Edwards vs. Giuliani, the game will be more humdrum, at least until September-October (game time).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #923 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2014, 10:38:32 PM by NewYorkExpress »

Same here. I like how NHI is doing this (congratulations, BTW!) but his last decision was really, really unfair.

And I think the race was waaaay more interesting without NYE in the mix and with Biden and Edwards in a close fight in every state. I know the main purpose of each one of you is winning the game, but think about having fun, too. I doubt SJoyce (as Edwards) will enjoy any other "battle" as much as this one, and it was keeping the game "active"... Believe me, once it's Edwards vs. Giuliani, the game will be more humdrum, at least until September-October (game time).
That depends who the Vice-Presidential nominees are, IMO. An Edwards/Biden ticket would be formidable for Democrats IMO.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #924 on: June 06, 2014, 06:54:49 AM »

That depends who the Vice-Presidential nominees are, IMO. An Edwards/Biden ticket would be formidable for Democrats IMO.

You have no right to come back here after you said you'd leave forever. Badgate and SJoyce made those detailed posts thinking the race would be a toss-up forever, and the only thing that could give them an advantadge over the other was better, more detailed campaign. I'm sure they wouldn't have put the same effort if they knew Clinton would endorse one of them. I hope NNHI and SJoyce keep that in mind, rejecting your endorsement.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies