2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:20:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154305 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 06, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
« edited: June 06, 2014, 10:51:49 PM by NHI »

Author's Note:

Dear participants,

In light of the recent events and after careful consideration I have decided that the Clinton endorsement will be rejected. Both Badgate and SJoyce have contributed to a very lively and exciting game and I've enjoyed each successive rounds and the effort that has been put into it.

I did agree and approve with NYE's decision (Hillary Clinton) to endorse the leader in the delegate count, but now I think for fairness the best resolution is to let the contest continue between Biden and Edwards. So without any further adieu please let the game continue!

Best,
NHI
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #926 on: June 07, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »

Thanks, NHI. The game is more interesting the way it's now. Edwards vs. Biden till the end!!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #927 on: June 08, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »

Reminder: This round will close on June 10th at 12:01 AM
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #928 on: June 08, 2014, 11:28:25 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2014, 02:32:40 AM by badgate »

Hello! Yes, thank you, Wyoming! A decisive victory here tonight, and did you see Alaska?! We lost by .2%, that's not too shabby! That's recount territory, perhaps, but I'm inclined to not impose that unexpected cost on the good people of Alaska. So this campaign is turning to the final states of this primary, we have to remain vigilant and raise our voices. In the weeks ahead, I am going to compete in all four competitions. Yes, that's right, we will be on the ground in North Carolina! The Democrats of that state adore their hometown senator, yes, but they know his odds and they know my odds. And they know their votes will come with a chunk of delegates that can set this primary straight or set it straight on to the convention. We will be making that simple appeal to the people of the Tar Heel state.

And Colorado! Who here has relatives in Colorado? Well what are you waiting for, we are tied there. Get on your cell phones and call everyone you know, get the word out that we need their votes on April 13. On one day of campaigning last week, we spent time in both Wyoming and Colorado. I saw how the issues of your state are shared with the people of Colorado. We will be talking about vitally important environmental issues, the leveling of the playing field in our workplaces, and an affordable college education for every child.

Democratic Presidential Debate: Boulder, Colorado

BIDEN vs. EDWARDS

To Senator Biden: Do you classify yourself as a liberal or a moderate?

I don't think much about the ideological label; I've been around the political game long enough to know that people will label you how they want to see you. I classify myself as somebody who stands by their beliefs. In 1975 I stood up to the fringe wings of our party and called for an end to the phony issue of busing. I believed that it was right and that we could find better ways to combat systemic and institutionalized segregation.

Decades later, I'll be honest, I sometimes wonder if I was right. Yes, I was successful. Yes, we ended a failing program that was becoming embarrassing in its ineptitude. Progress has been made, but in many cities, some even famously liberal such as Austin, there still exists systemic and institutionalized segregation in the city's housing. Civil liberties and rights are something that I always will stand up for, with a spine of steel. Rooting out institutionalized causes of housing, poverty, poor education, will be a central and urgent part of my domestic agenda. That is why I have been campaigning for months now for a fair raise of the minimum wage.

The central idea of liberalism is that we can enact positive change through the system of democracy. With being a moderate, sometimes the role is more like babysitting a liberal and a conservative and forcing them to cut a deal. Both are rewarding and worthy paths to take in politics. My path is to zealously represent my constituents, Americans, and do and defend what I believe is right and in the people's best interest. But I'm not opposed or unable to listen, if there is vehement disagreement. I certainly agree, like any patriotic American would, that our democracy can work. I agree with the belief and idea. What we just need are voters ready to put someone in office, like me, capable of getting things done instead of handcuffing themselves to a soap box.

You asked if I classify myself as a liberal or moderate. My answer is yes. (laughter)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I come to the task of securing universal health coverage with an eye on where we've been and failed before. I'm sure many Democrats still remember the failure of President Clinton's attempt at reform.

The thing is that healthcare reform is going to be tough, and it must be done with the trust of a majority of Americans. The reason for how tough it is is a direct result of the broken system we currently have in regards to healthcare in this country. Millions of hardworking American families know, if they get sick, or have an accident, they could lose their health plan like that.
*snap*

Our current healthcare system is so down on the consumer, charging people more for having a diagnosis before buying a plan, for instance. Most consumers understand how fragile their standing with their healthcare provider can be, and so most people have found their little niche of the market with the plan that they can work with. And the idea of suddenly coming in and changing the whole system, that's scary. That's something I will always keep in mind when crafting my administration's proposal.

Employer-covered care could very well be antiquated twenty years down the line; do we really want to spend time and capital reforming the system in a way that we know won't last?

I mentioned requiring insurers to cover people with pre-existing conditions. Let's go a step further. Is it fair for an insurer to charge someone more if they come into the health plan with an illness? And looking at how insurers spend their customers' money, let's make sure 80% of your money has to go directly to your medical care; if it doesn't, your health insurance company has to refund you the difference bi-annually. The problem we run into now is now that sick people aren't discriminated against, and everybody knows their money is spent well, how do we keep costs low and how do we get everybody to sign up? The answer is pretty simple, theoretically: if everybody signs up, costs will plummet. Then they'll plateau, yes, much lower than they are now. But is it fair to force people to sign up? Is it fair to impose that requirement as a tax? Once you start to look at that quandary, we come back to where we began: people are very sensitive to change. Ultimately, I hope we can have a national conversation about the solutions available.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #929 on: June 08, 2014, 11:29:07 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2014, 02:59:06 AM by badgate »

New Biden Endorsements

Ed Rendell, Governor from Pennsylvania
Gov. Rendell published op-ed endorsements in the Philadelphia Inquirer, on Sunday April 4. The Morning Call (Allentown/Lehigh Valley) published it on Sunday, March 21. The Times-Tribune (Scranton) published it on Monday, March 22, and the New Caslte News on Sunday, March 28. Reading Eagle (Reading), as well as The Williamsport Sun-Gazette & Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published on Sunday, April 11. The governor also released a statement through his personal spokesperson to the press, and wrote an email asking for support and donations to his e-mail list.

Joe Hoeffel, Representative from the 13th congressional district of Pennsylvania
Rep. Hoeffel published an op-ed endorsement in the Philadelphia Inquirer on Sunday, March 28. Also the Montgomery News (Montgomery county) on Sunday, April 4.

Allyson Schwartz, state Senator from the 4th senate district of Pennsylvania; 2004 Democratic nominee for the 13th congressional district of Pennsylvania
State Sen. Schwartz, currently campaigning for the nomination of the 13th district, has touted her support of Biden, who is leading in the state by 4% and doing well in her district especially. Sen. Schwartz has also released a printed statement to the media and penned a passionate e-mail to her campaign's e-mail list.

Donna Christian-Christensen, Representative at-large for the U.S. Virgin Islands (non-voting member)
Rep. Christian-Christensen penned an op-ed to the Virgin Islands Daily News, published on April 5, a Monday.

Mel Watts, Representative from the 12th congressional district of North Carolina
Rep. Watts published an endorsement in the Charlotte Observer on Sunday, March 21, and the Salem-Winston Journal on Sunday, March 28. Also The Dispatch, newspaper for Davidson county (covers cities Lexington and Thomasville) on Sunday, March 4. As well as the Salisbury Post, on Sunday April 11. Watts has also endorsed Biden through his campaign's e-mail list.

Mike Easley, Governor from North Carolina
Gov. Easley issued a public statement through his reelection campaign on March 21, the same day he endorsed Senator Biden in person. The Governor also penned a passionate endorsement, making the case to Democrats that they needed to base their votes not on hometown pride but pragmatic thinking. Parts of it were adapted to an e-mail sent through his re-election campaign. The op-ed was published in the Fayetteville Observer & The News & Observer (Raleigh), & The Raleigh Telegram on Monday, March 22. The Charlotte Observer on Sunday, March 28. The Herald-Sun (Durham, Chapel Hill) on Sunday, April 4, as well as The Citizen-Times (Asheville) and The Wilmington Star-News. The Fayetteville Observer, Salem-Winston Journal, and The Dispatch (Davidson county) published it on Sunday, April 11.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #930 on: June 08, 2014, 11:29:32 PM »

TV Ad: Unity

FEMALE VOICE OVER: Only one candidate in the Democratic primary can truly bring unity to the party. And that candidate is Senator Joe Biden. Joe's a proven, effective leader with a history of getting things done in Congress. We know that as President he'll do the same. In seeking endorsements during this primary, Senator Biden has already united three core constituencies of our party: The League of Conservation Voters, The National Education Association, and the United Automobile Autoworkers. Joe is a proud union man, who will raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour and ensure that tipped workers, the people we as Americans interact with every week, don't get left behind. And with the threat of terror abroad, Senator Biden has a proven record of securing arms control treaties from nations that were once our most dangerous rivals. He can do that again and secure peace in the land, both foreign and domestic. So on [Month, Date]*, cast your primary vote for Senator Joe Biden.

IMAGE: [Biden for President] I'm Joe Biden, and I approve this message.

+U.S. Virgin Islands

TV Ad: Baseball

BIDEN (speaking to camera, intercut with various photos of Biden & his father, Biden in his high school baseball uniform, Biden as a Senator, public schools, etc): My father and I always relished a game of catch, and that bond led to my love of baseball. Experience on the field taught me the work ethic and to be a team player, something that has aided me my entire life and been a key to my success at getting things done in Washington. The National Educators Association didn't just endorse me because of my pro-public school record. They endorsed me because they know I will take action on behalf of every young man and woman walking those hallways. Together we can undo the damage of President Bush's economic reforms, get teachers back to teaching instead of testing, and make sure that our schools always have the resources to give each child the opportunity to fulfill their potential. So whether it's the school orchestra, speech and debate...or a game of baseball. Together we will make public schools the best in the world.

+U.S. Virgin Islands
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #931 on: June 09, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »

Giuliani Endorsments

West Virginia Secretary of State Joe Manchin - Secretary of State Joe Manchin spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in West Virginia, selling him to the state's conservative Democrats.

Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito - Congresswoman Moore Capito spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in West Virginia, selling him to the state's rural voters.

Congressman Roger Wicker - Congressman Wicker spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in Missouri, selling him to conservatives.

Congressman Mark Kirk - Congressman Kirk spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in Ohio, selling him to suburban voters.

Congressman Eric Cantor - Congressman Cantor spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in North Carolina, selling him to conservatives.

Senator John Warner - Senator Warner spends March 21st-April 13th barnstorming for Vice President Giuliani in North Carolina, selling him to conservatives.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #932 on: June 09, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »

Kanawha County Teenage Republicans President Riley Keaton organizes a day of outreach, knocking on doors in Charleston. Statement:

"It's wonderful to have Vice President Giuliani in the Mountain State. Our volunteers are fired up and ready to get Rudy Giuliani elected President. We knocked on 400 doors today and made another 500 phone calls. We've got great volunteers and I thank Vice President Giuliani for stopping in."

OOC: Sorry, I had to. He's in WV!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #933 on: June 09, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »

Kanawha County Teenage Republicans President Riley Keaton organizes a day of outreach, knocking on doors in Charleston. Statement:

"It's wonderful to have Vice President Giuliani in the Mountain State. Our volunteers are fired up and ready to get Rudy Giuliani elected President. We knocked on 400 doors today and made another 500 phone calls. We've got great volunteers and I thank Vice President Giuliani for stopping in."

OOC: Sorry, I had to. He's in WV!

I endorse this action.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #934 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »

Gary Johnson Campaign Schedule:

March 21st-March 28th:
Town Halls and Speeches on college campuses in New Mexico
Organize New Mexico Volunteers for GOTV

March 29th-April 3rd:

Moneybomb fundraisers with Paul Craig Roberts and Ron Paul

April 4th-13th:

Barnstorming and Town Halls throughout Arizona
Organize Arizona Volunteers for GOTV

Jesse Ventura Campaign Schedule:

March 21st-March 28th:
Town Halls and Speeches on college campuses in Minnesota
Organize Minnesota Volunteers for GOTV

March 29th-April 3rd:

Barnstorming and GOTV in North Dakota
Organize North Dakota Volunteers for GOTV

April 4th-13th:

Barnstorming and Town Halls throughout South Dakota
Organize South Dakota Volunteers for GOTV
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #935 on: June 09, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

Biden Campaign Schedule (March 21-31)

March 21, 2004 North Carolina
-10:00am - Speech to Raleigh metro area volunteers
-11:00am - Rally in Raleigh, w/ Gov. Easley, Governor Mike Easley endorses Senator Biden for President
-12:45pm - Rally in Durham, w/ Gov. Easley
-2:15pm - Rally in Chapel Hill, w/ Gov. Easley
-4:00pm - Student Forum at University North Carolina: Chapel Hill, w/ Gov. Easley
-6:15pm - Town Hall in Greensoro, w/ Gov. Easley

March 22, 2004 North Carolina
-9:45am - Meet & Greet with Greensboro-Winston-Salem metro area volunteers
-11:00am - Rally in Winston-Salem, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts Rep. Mel Watts endorses Senator Biden for President
-12:30pm - Barnstorm in High Point, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts
-2:00pm - Barnstorm in Lexington, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts
-3:30pm - Barnstorm in Salisbury, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts
-5:45pm - Rally in Charlotte, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Charlotte, w/ Gov. Easley & Rep. Watts

March 23, 2004 North Carolina
-11:00am - Rally in Fayetteville, w/ Gov. Easley
-1:00pm - Barnstorm in Goldsboro, w/ Gov. Easley
-2:45pm - Barnstorm in Wilson, w/ Gov. Easley
-4:30pm - Town Hall in Rocky Mt, w/ Gov. Easley
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Greenville, w/ Gov. Easley
-9:00pm - Conference call with volunteers after phone bank, thanking them

March 24, 2004 Colorado
-9:30am - Meet & Greet with volunteers in Colorado Springs (volunteers from Co Springs, Woodland Park, Fountain Valley, Briargate, & Black Forest), w/ AG Salazar
-10:45am - Rally in Colorado Springs, w/ AG Salazar
-12:00pm - Town Hall in Colorado Springs, w/ AG Salazar
-2:00pm - Town Hall in Pueblo, w/ AG Salazar
-4:20pm - Town Hall in La Junta, w/ AG Salazar
-6:45pm - Town Hall in Lamar, w/ AG Salazar
-9:00pm - Statewide conference call with volunteers, thanking them for the phone banks held tonight

March 25, 2004 Colorado
-10:00am - Town Hall in Grand Junction, w/ AG Salazar
-12:30pm - Town Hall in Glenwood Springs, w/ AG Salazar
-1:45-2:45pm - Fly from Glenwood Springs to Colorado Springs
-3:15pm - Town Hall in Fountain Valley, w/ AG Salazar
-5:20pm - Town Hall in Cañon City, w/ AG Salazar
-7:30pm - Town Hall in Salida, w/ AG Salazar

March 26, 2004 U.S. Virgin Islands
-11:30am - Town Hall in Charlotte Amalie, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-12:15pm - Rally in Charlotte Amalie, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen Rep. Donna Christian-Christensen endorses Senator Biden for President
-1:30pm - Town Hall in St. Thomas, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-2:45pm - Town Hall in Estate Bovoni, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-4:00pm - Barnstorm in Thatch Cay, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-6:00pm - Town Hall on Hans Lollik Island, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-8:00pm - Fundraiser in Charlotte Amalie, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen

March 27, 2004 U.S. Virgin Islands
-11:30am - Town Hall in Cruz Bay, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-2:00pm - Speech at Virgin Islands National Park
-3:30pm - Town Hall in St. John, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-5:45pm - Rally in Charlotte Amalie, w/ Rep. Christian-Christensen
-8:00pm - Fly to D.C.

March 28, 2004 D.C.
-9:00am - Appearance on Meet The Press
-12:00-6:00pm - Working at D.C. Senate office, whipping votes for SB802
-6:30-9:00pm - Strategy/messaging session at campaign office

March 29, 2004 Pennsylvania
-11:00am - Meet & Greet with volunteers in Scranton, w/ Gov. Rendell
-12:00pm - Rally in Scranton, w/ Gov. Rendell Gov. Ed Rendell endorses Senator Biden for President
-1:45pm - Town Hall in Wilkes-Barre, w/ Gov. Rendell
-4:00pm - Town Hall in Stroudsburg, w/ Gov. Rendell
-6:00pm - Town Hall in Scranton, w/ Gov. Rendell
-7:45pm - Town Hall in Carbondale, w/ Gov. Rendell

March 30, 2004 Pennsylvania
-9:45am - Meet & Greet with volunteers in Pittsburgh, w/ Gov. Rendell
-10:15am - Meet & Greet with voters in Pittsburgh, w/ Gov. Rendell
-12:00pm - Town Hall in New Castle, w/ Gov. Rendell
-1:30pm - Town Hall in Wexford, w/ Gov. Rendell
-3:45pm - Rally in Pittsburgh, w/ Gov. Rendell Gov. Ed Rendell endorses Senator Biden for President
-5:00pm - Town Hall in Bethel Park, w/ Gov. Rendell
-6:45pm - Town Hall in Washington, w/ Gov. Rendell

March 31, 2004 Pennsylvania
-10:30am - Meet & Greet with voters in downtown Philadelphia, w/ Gov. Rendell
-11:45am - Rally in Philadelphia, w/ Gov. Rendell, Rep. Hoeffel, & State Sen. Schwartz. Gov. Ed. Rendell, Rep. Joe Hoeffel, & State Sen. Allyson Schwartz endorses Senator Biden for President
-1:00-4:00pm - Barnstorming Philadelphia metro area & Montgomery county, w/ Gov. Rendell, Rep. Hoeffel, & State Sen. Schwartz
-5:00pm - Town Hall in King of Prussia, w/ Gov. Rendell
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Levittown, w/ Gov. Rendell

Excerpt from 'Meet The Press'

QUESTION: The Bush administration has raised alarms about the possibility of Iran producing nuclear weapons. Part of their argument for going into Iraq was to keep Iran from buying weapons from them. What options would you consider as President to ensure that Iran never has a nuclear weapon?

BIDEN: Well, I've watched very closely in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and Iran's nuclear sites are currently far enough behind that we have a slew of options. As President I will first and foremost hold the line and order international sanctions against Iran if they continue production. We hope that these sanctions would guide the people of Iran to vote for a more tolerant regime that is willing to open diplomatic relations and negotiations with us.

Military action, however, will be on the table. Should Iran come close to creating a nuclear weapon and still refuses to sign arms control or proliferation treaties with us and the other nuclear power...well, let's just say that we know where their production sites are. I do not say that lightly, however. With thousands of American soldiers already deployed in Iraq
and Afghanistan, I know that we would all prefer a diplomatic solution. My administration will exhaust every possibility before resorting, if we must, to force. Again, in the service of ensuring nuclear proliferation, nothing is off the table.

QUESTION: You've voiced support for medical marijuana on the stump; what about hemp? Would you support production of hemp?

BIDEN: Absolutely. There's a lot of disinformation; hemp is not hallucinogenic and was once one of America's greatest and most profitable industries. We can use hemp to make everything from rope to couture fashion to soap. And in an increasingly globalized agro-economy, can we really afford to let misconceptions and disinformation stand in the way of a potentially vast profitable product for American farmers.

QUESTION: And medical marijuana? Do you intend to support national legalization for medical marijuana?

BIDEN: Absolutely not. I support medical marijuana. Voters know I support it. But I respect the millions of Americans that would disagree with me. I expect, like other hot-topic issues of the day, that we will be having this conversation the proper way: state-by-state. As there becomes more of a consensus, with more states adopting it on the state level, we will be able to approach the issue in D.C. knowing that we have more information to rely on, a much better idea of what could happen, and we will not be superseding the rights of the states.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #936 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »

John Edwards Campaign Announcement

Robbins, North Carolina

Thank you all very much. We're very proud to be back here. I began my presidential campaign here to remind the country that we, as citizens and as a government, have a moral responsibility to each other, and what we do together matters. We must do better, if we want to live up to the great promise of this country that we all love so much. It is appropriate that I come here today. I don't know how this year's election will play out, but what I do know is that our Democratic Party will make history. We will be strong, we will be unified, and with our convictions and a little backbone we will take back the White House in November and we'll create hope and opportunity for this country.

This has been a campaign about those who had been abandoned by our government, forgotten, but not by us. This has been a campaign about lifting up those people, working families, so that someday they can once again live out the dream in America. I've sat with poultry workers in Jackson, janitors in Tallahassee, nurses in Richmond, listened to child after child tell me about their worry about whether we'll preserve the planet, walked streets of foreclosed houses, and listened to worker after worker say that the economy was tearing their family apart. I met a man in Virginia, born with a cleft palate, who had no health coverage and no money to fix it. Some good Samaritan paid for it to be fixed, to let him speak, when he was 50 years old. His story gave this campaign voice: universal health care for every man, woman and child in America. That is our cause. That's what we do for each other in America. We don't turn away from a neighbor in their time of need. Because every one of us knows that, but for the grace of God, there goes us. The American people have never stopped doing this, even when their government walked away from hardworking people, walked away from the poor, walked away those who live in poverty in this country.

We stopped focusing on those struggles. They didn't get us votes, didn't help us in the polls, and so we stopped talking about it. We turned away from the father working three jobs to pay the rent, from the mother sending her child to bed wrapped in coats because she can't afford to pay for heat, from our brothers and sisters who have been bullied into believing they can't organize and can't have a union. This hasn't been a campaign about getting votes. This has been a campaign about looking those people in the eye, promising that we hear them, we see them, and we stand with them. We will not forget them.

On my way here today, I passed under a bridge where hundreds of homeless Americans sleep every night. And I stopped, got out, and spoke to them. There was a minister there who comes every morning and feeds the homeless out of her own pocket. She said she has no money left in her bank account, she struggles to be able to do it, but she knows it's the moral, just and right thing to do. And I spoke to some of the people who were there and as I was leaving, one woman asked me whether I'd forget them. She asked me to promise her that I wouldn't forget them. I say this to her, and to all of those who are struggling in this country, we will never forget you. We will fight for you. We will stand up for you.

But I want to say this, because it's important. Will all the injustice we've seen, I can say that America's hour of transformation is upon us. It's hard to believe, I know: bullets flying in Baghdad, gas at $2 a gallon, schools without the right books for our kids, it's sure hard to believe that it's an hour of transformation. And it's hard to speak out when you feel like your voice isn't being heard. But I do hear it. We hear it. We hear you, and we will lift you up with our dream of what's possible.

One America that works for everyone. One America where struggling towns and factories come back to life because we finally transformed our economy by ending our dependence on oil. One America where the men who work the late shift and the women who get up at dawn to drive a two-hour commute and the young person who closes the store to save for college are honored for their work. One America where no child will go to bed hungry because we will finally end the moral shame of 37 million people living in poverty. One America where every single man, woman and child in this country has health care. One America with one public school system that works for all of our children. And one America that finally brings this war in Iraq to an end, and brings our servicemembers home with the hero's welcome that they have earned and that they deserve.

Today, I am suspending my campaign for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency.

But I want to say this to everyone: with Elizabeth, with my family, with my friends, with all of you and all of your support, this son of a millworker's gonna be just fine. Our job now is to make certain that America will be fine. I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard, all those who have volunteered, my dedicated campaign staff who have worked absolutely tirelessly in this campaign. And I want to say a personal word to those I've seen in the last few days - in Wyoming, in Alaska, and here in North Carolina, who came to me and said don't forget us. Speak for us. We need your voice. I want you to know that you almost changed my mind, because I hear your voice. Your country needs you, every single one of you. All of you who have been involved in this campaign and this movement for change and this cause, we need you. It is in our hour of need that your country needs you. Do not turn away now, for we have an American house to rebuild. There are homes to build, schools to rebuild, students to offer a chance to get ahead. The work goes on for day care workers and steel workers all across this country, and the work goes on for two hundred thousand men and women who wore the uniform of the United States of America, proud veterans, who go to sleep every night under bridges, or in shelters, or on grates, just as the people we saw on the way here today.

Their cause is our cause. Their struggle is our struggle. Their dreams are our dreams. Do not turn away from these great struggles before us. Do not give up on the causes that we have fought for. Do not walk away from what's possible, because it's time for all of us, all of us together, to make the two Americas one.

Thank you. God bless you, and let's go to work. Thank you all very much.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #937 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:41 PM »

Biden Campaign Schedule (April 1-13)

April 1, 2004 Colorado
-11:00am - Town Hall in Sterling, w/ AG Salazar
-1:00pm - Barnstorming in Brush/Fort Morgan, w/ AG Salazar
-3:45pm - Town Hall in Greeley, w/ AG Salazar
-5:00pm - Town Hall in Evans, w/ AG Salazar
-7:45pm - Rally in Loveland, w/ AG Salazar

April 2, 2004 Colorado
-10:00am - Meet & Greet with voters in Fort Collins, w/ AG Salazar
-11:00am - Rally in Fort Collins, w/ AG Salazar
-1:00pm - Town Hall in Longmont, w/ AG Salazar
-2:30pm - Town Hall in Boulder, w/ Rep. Udall & AG Salazar
-3:30pm - Rally in Boulderr, w/ Rep. Udall & AG Salazar
-5:00pm - Town Hall in Broomfieldr, w/ Rep. Udall & AG Salazar
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Thorntonr, w/ Rep. Udall & AG Salazar

April 3, 2004 Colorado
-10:30am - Speech to volunteers in Denver, covering entire Denver metro area, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette, & AG Salazar
-12:00pm - Town Hall in downtown Denver, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette, & AG Salazar
-1:45pm - Town Hall in North, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette
-3:15pm - Town Hall in Northeast, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette
-4:45pm - Town Hall in East, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette
-6:30pm - Town Hall in South, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette
-8:00pm - Rally in downtown Denver, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, Rep. DeGette, & AG Salazar

April 4, 2004 Colorado
-10:30am - Meet & Greet with volunteers in Westminster (volunteers for Denver, Westminster, Berkley, Commerce City, Thornton, Auroroa, & Broonfield)
-11:15am - Town Hall in Westminster, w/ AG Salazar & Rep. Udall
-12:40pm - Town Hall in Commerce City, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, AG Salazar & Rep. DeGette
-2:00pm - Town Hall in Aurora, w/ Mayor Hickenlooper, AG Salazar & Rep. DeGette
-3:45pm - Town Hall in Englewood, w/ AG Salazar & Rep. DeGette
-5:15pm - Town Hall in Centennial, w/ AG Salazar & Rep. DeGette
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Columbine, w/ AG Salazar & Rep. DeGette

April 5, 2004 Pennsylvania & New York
-10:30am - Meet & Greet at Starbucks in Allentown PA
-11:00am - Town Hall in Allentown, w/ Gov. Rendell PA
-1:15pm - Town Hall in Reading, w/ Gov. Rendell PA
-3:15pm - Town Hall in Lancaster, w/ Gov. Rendell PA
-5:00pm - Town Hall in Harrisburg, w/ Gov. Rendell PA
-5:45pm - Rally in Harrisburg, w/ Gov. Rendell PA
-7:00-8:45pm - Fly from Harrisburg to New York City
-9:30pm - Appearing on Larry King Live NY

Excerpt from Larry King Live

QUESTION: Let's talk about abortion. You've touted your Catholicism in many contests. Where do you stand on a woman's right to an abortion?

BIDEN: I am absolutely in favor of a woman's right to choose. We need to be smart about this issue; help young couples with family planning and make sure that young people know that safe sex will prevent an unplanned pregnancy. There are too many people that don't even believe that condoms will make a difference. (Larry King laughs) I know! Seriously, when I see people demonizing Planned Parenthood, saying awful and untrue things, I think: 'don't you see? It's right there in the name! Planned parenthood.' What's so bad about planning ahead for your family? The bottom line is, Roe v Wade is settled law. We can keep having this conversation over and over or we can move forward to finding common ground that will reduce the number of abortions per year while respecting a woman's right to choose.

April 6, 2004 North Carolina
-10:30am - Town Hall in Elizabeth City, w/ Gov. Easley
-1:15pm - Town Hall in Washington, w/ Gov. Easley
-3:15pm - Town Hall in New Bern, w/ Gov. Easley
-5:00pm - Town Hall in Jacksonville, w/ Gov. Easley
-7:15pm - Rally in Wilmington, w/ Gov. Easley
-8:00pm - Town Hall in Wilmington, w/ Gov. Easley

April 7, 2004 North Carolina
-11:00am - Town Hall in Asheville, w/ Gov. Easley
-1:00pm - Town Hall in Hendersonville, w/ Gov. Easley
-3:45pm - Town Hall in Hickory, w/ Gov. Easley
-5:15pm - Town Hall in Lincolnton, w/ Gov. Easley
-6:45pm - Town Hall in Gastonia, w/ Gov. Easley
-9:00pm - Meet & Greet with Charlotte metro area volunteers after a phone bank, w/ Gov. Easley

April 8, 2004 Colorado
-10:45am - Town Hall in Colorado Springs
-12:00pm - Rally in Colorado Springs
-1:30pm - Barnstorming in Fountain Valley
-3:30pm - Barnstorming in Briargate
-5:30pm - Barnstorming in Peyton
-7:30pm - Town Hall in Security-Widefield

April 9, 2004 Colorado & California
-11:00am - Barnstorming in Yuma CO
-1:30pm - Barnstorming in Brush CO
-3:45pm - Barnstorming in Sterling CO
-7:00pm - Town Hall in Greeley CO
-8:30-10:45pm (10:45pm becomes 9:45pm after switching from Mountain to Pacific) - Fly to Los Angeles
-10:15pm - Interview on Real Time With Bill Maher in Los Angeles CA

Excerpt from Real Time with Bill Maher

QUESTION: So, correct me if I'm wrong, but you support civil unions for gay couples but not marriage.

BIDEN: I do support civil unions. I support civil unions that provide all the rights of marriage: joint property ownership, life insurance benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the list goes on and on. People can be flippant about the issue; write it off. It's because the vast majority of Americans, who are heterosexual, just simply don't think about and take for granted the things marriage affords for committed heterosexual couples.

I would as President, nominate someone to the Supreme Court bench if they were supportive of overturning the Defense of Marriage Act. Now, don't get me wrong. It's unconstitutional and unfair to the American people for any president to impose an idealogical litmus test to judicial nominees. It is my belief that we should be letting the states decide this for themselves, as there are loud and passionate voices on both sides of the debate and the states deserve to choose for themselves. I don't think it would be unreasonable to look for judicial nominees that support our constitutional amendments, including states-rights, as enshrined in the tenth constitutional amendment.

April 10, 2004 New York
-3:00pm - Filming episode of Late Night w/ David Letterman, to air on April 11, 2004
-11:00pm - Appearing on SNL

In a hilarious skit showing Senator Biden and President George W. Bush as roommates (a la The Odd Couple), Senator Biden made a cameo appearance at the end. The Senator also appeared alongside Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey in the Weekend Update segment.

April 11, 2004 Colorado
-10:00am-12:30pm - GOTV in Colorado Springs
-12:45pm - Rally in Colorado Springs
-2:30-6:00pm - GOTV in CO-1 (Denver, Glendale, Sheridan, Englewood, Cherry Hills Village)
-7:00pm - Rally in Denver
-9:30pm - Thanking volunteers after GOTV phone bank in Denver

April 12, 2004 Colorado
-10:00am-12:30pm - GOTV in Fort Collins
-12:45pm - Rally in Fort Collins
-2:45-6:30pm - GOTV in CO-2 (Boulder, Northglenn, Thornton, Westminster)
-7:00pm - Rally in Boulder
-9:30pm - Thanking volunteers after GOTV phone bank in Boulder

April 13, 2004 Colorado
-10:00am-12:00pm - GOTV in Colorado Springs, w/ AG Salazar
-1:45-3:45pm - GOTV in Boulder, w/ Rep. Udall & AG Salazar
-4:30-7:00pm - GOTV in Denver, w/ Rep. DeGette, Mayor Hickenlooper, & AG Salazar
-9:00pm-12:00am - Rally at campaign office in Denver, w/ Rep. DeGette, Mayor Hickenlooper, & AG Salazar
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #938 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »

Biden Surrogates

Governor Mario Cuomo
Barnstorm and GOTV in Colorado

Senator Mark Warner
Barnstorm in North Carolina

Senator Arlen Specter
Barnstorm in Pennsylvania

Senator Olympia Snowe
Barnstorming in West Virginia

Senator Jay Rockefeller

Senator Maria Cantwell
Barnstorming and GOTV in Colorado

Sen. Max Clealand
Barnstorming and GOTV in North Carolina

Sen. Max Baucus
Barnstorming in Montana

Sen. Mark Dayton
Barnstorming in Indiana

Sen. Daniel Inoyue
Barnstorming in Oregon

Gov. Jerry Brown
Barnstorming in Oregon

Rep. Ben Chandler
Barnstorming in Kentucky

Sen. Herb Kohl

Sen. Ted Kennedy

Rep. Tammy Baldwin

Rep. Betty McCollum

Rep. Martin Olav Sabo

Rep. Barbara Lee
Barnstorming in North Carolina

Rep. Henry Waxman

Sen. Jack Reed

Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy

Rep. Jim Langevin

Rep. Richard Neal
Barnstorming in New Jersey

Rep. Ted Strickland

Sen. Paul Sarbanes

Gov. Ann Richards

Rep. Lloyd Doggett

Rep. Gene Taylor

Rep. Bennie Thompson

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee

Rev. Al Sharpton

Sen. Jesse Jackson

Carol Moseley Braun, former Senator from Illinois

Rep. Bobby Rush

Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez

Rep. Rahm Emanuel

Gov. Tony Knowles

Attorney General/Senate candidate Ken Salazar
Campaigning w/ Sen. Biden

Mayor John Hickenlooper

Rep. Mark Udall

Rep. Diana DeGette

Judy Shepard

Gov. Ed Rendell
Barnstorming in Pennsylvania

Rep. Joe Hoeffel
Barnstorming in PA-13

State Sen. Allyson Schwartz
Barnstorming in PA-13

Rep. Donna Christian-Christensen
Barnstorming in U.S. Virgin Islands

Rep. Mel Watts
Barnstorming in NC-12

Gov. Mike Easley
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #939 on: June 09, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »

John Edwards Campaign Announcement

Robbins, North Carolina

Thank you all very much. We're very proud to be back here. I began my presidential campaign here to remind the country that we, as citizens and as a government, have a moral responsibility to each other, and what we do together matters. We must do better, if we want to live up to the great promise of this country that we all love so much. It is appropriate that I come here today. I don't know how this year's election will play out, but what I do know is that our Democratic Party will make history. We will be strong, we will be unified, and with our convictions and a little backbone we will take back the White House in November and we'll create hope and opportunity for this country.

This has been a campaign about those who had been abandoned by our government, forgotten, but not by us. This has been a campaign about lifting up those people, working families, so that someday they can once again live out the dream in America. I've sat with poultry workers in Jackson, janitors in Tallahassee, nurses in Richmond, listened to child after child tell me about their worry about whether we'll preserve the planet, walked streets of foreclosed houses, and listened to worker after worker say that the economy was tearing their family apart. I met a man in Virginia, born with a cleft palate, who had no health coverage and no money to fix it. Some good Samaritan paid for it to be fixed, to let him speak, when he was 50 years old. His story gave this campaign voice: universal health care for every man, woman and child in America. That is our cause. That's what we do for each other in America. We don't turn away from a neighbor in their time of need. Because every one of us knows that, but for the grace of God, there goes us. The American people have never stopped doing this, even when their government walked away from hardworking people, walked away from the poor, walked away those who live in poverty in this country.

We stopped focusing on those struggles. They didn't get us votes, didn't help us in the polls, and so we stopped talking about it. We turned away from the father working three jobs to pay the rent, from the mother sending her child to bed wrapped in coats because she can't afford to pay for heat, from our brothers and sisters who have been bullied into believing they can't organize and can't have a union. This hasn't been a campaign about getting votes. This has been a campaign about looking those people in the eye, promising that we hear them, we see them, and we stand with them. We will not forget them.

On my way here today, I passed under a bridge where hundreds of homeless Americans sleep every night. And I stopped, got out, and spoke to them. There was a minister there who comes every morning and feeds the homeless out of her own pocket. She said she has no money left in her bank account, she struggles to be able to do it, but she knows it's the moral, just and right thing to do. And I spoke to some of the people who were there and as I was leaving, one woman asked me whether I'd forget them. She asked me to promise her that I wouldn't forget them. I say this to her, and to all of those who are struggling in this country, we will never forget you. We will fight for you. We will stand up for you.

But I want to say this, because it's important. Will all the injustice we've seen, I can say that America's hour of transformation is upon us. It's hard to believe, I know: bullets flying in Baghdad, gas at $2 a gallon, schools without the right books for our kids, it's sure hard to believe that it's an hour of transformation. And it's hard to speak out when you feel like your voice isn't being heard. But I do hear it. We hear it. We hear you, and we will lift you up with our dream of what's possible.

One America that works for everyone. One America where struggling towns and factories come back to life because we finally transformed our economy by ending our dependence on oil. One America where the men who work the late shift and the women who get up at dawn to drive a two-hour commute and the young person who closes the store to save for college are honored for their work. One America where no child will go to bed hungry because we will finally end the moral shame of 37 million people living in poverty. One America where every single man, woman and child in this country has health care. One America with one public school system that works for all of our children. And one America that finally brings this war in Iraq to an end, and brings our servicemembers home with the hero's welcome that they have earned and that they deserve.

Today, I am suspending my campaign for the Democratic nomination for the Presidency.

But I want to say this to everyone: with Elizabeth, with my family, with my friends, with all of you and all of your support, this son of a millworker's gonna be just fine. Our job now is to make certain that America will be fine. I want to thank everyone who has worked so hard, all those who have volunteered, my dedicated campaign staff who have worked absolutely tirelessly in this campaign. And I want to say a personal word to those I've seen in the last few days - in Wyoming, in Alaska, and here in North Carolina, who came to me and said don't forget us. Speak for us. We need your voice. I want you to know that you almost changed my mind, because I hear your voice. Your country needs you, every single one of you. All of you who have been involved in this campaign and this movement for change and this cause, we need you. It is in our hour of need that your country needs you. Do not turn away now, for we have an American house to rebuild. There are homes to build, schools to rebuild, students to offer a chance to get ahead. The work goes on for day care workers and steel workers all across this country, and the work goes on for two hundred thousand men and women who wore the uniform of the United States of America, proud veterans, who go to sleep every night under bridges, or in shelters, or on grates, just as the people we saw on the way here today.

Their cause is our cause. Their struggle is our struggle. Their dreams are our dreams. Do not turn away from these great struggles before us. Do not give up on the causes that we have fought for. Do not walk away from what's possible, because it's time for all of us, all of us together, to make the two Americas one.

Thank you. God bless you, and let's go to work. Thank you all very much.

This has to be first campaign in history where the leader in delegates dropped out twice...

Also, I'm willing to Moderate "some" debates. Although, I will to wanting some debates before the conventions, in addition to the traditional three debates and Vice-Presidential debate.

If anyone likes the idea, let me know. (PS. Please don't pick Hillary as VP, as I'd prefer not play as her again)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #940 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »

OOC: Sad to see it's over, that was amazing! None of the primary fights in the other games, from Ayotte as the last man/woman standing to Biden v. Gore, Duke upsetting Bush, Dean v. Obama v. Lincoln v. Winfrey and Quayle v. Powell v. Kemp have been so detailed and with such a display of effort. Congratulations to you both!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #941 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

OOC: Sad to see it's over, that was amazing! None of the primary fights in the other games, from Ayotte as the last man/woman standing to Biden v. Gore, Duke upsetting Bush, Dean v. Obama v. Lincoln v. Winfrey and Quayle v. Powell v. Kemp have been so detailed and with such a display of effort. Congratulations to you both!
Dean and I (Obama) went all the way to the DNC, and I was hoping Edwards and Biden would too.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #942 on: June 09, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »

Johnson Campaign Statement:

I would like to congratulate Joe Biden on winning the democratic primary, and look forward to debating Senator Biden and Mayor Giuliani later in the year.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #943 on: June 09, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: EDWARDS SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN

JOE BIDEN IS PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE FOR DEMOCRATIC PARTY
√ BIDEN WINS DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION

Former North Carolina Senator John Edwards announced he was suspending his campaign for the Presidency, ensuring now that Senator Joe Biden is now the presumptive nominee for President. Edwards' announcement comes as a shock to many. He was leading in the delegate count and some polls showed him ahead of Tuesday's contest in Colorado. No word yet from the Biden campaign on this announcement, but it appears as of now the General Election is set between Senator Biden, Vice President Rudy Giuliani and Governor Gary Johnson.

Author's note:
A job well done to all the players in this game and a special congrats to Badgate and SJoyce on their efforts of the last few rounds. Good luck to Giuliani, Biden and Johnson, I am really looking forward to the next phase of the game!

The game will now enter a new turn at this stage. Tomorrow I will begin releasing polls for all 50 states and from there will do one round of campaign post the nomination wrap-up (possibly with interview questions for all the candidates to answers) then the schedule will be as follows:

Round XXI: April 13-20 (End June 14 at 11:59 PM EST)
Round XXII: May 26-31: The Libertarian Convention in Atlanta (Ends June 17 at 11:59 PM EST)
Round XXIII: July 25-26: The Democratic Convention in Boston (Ends June 21 at 11:59 PM EST)
Round XXIV: August 29-Sep. 2: The Republican Convention in New York City (Ends June 24 at 11:59 PM EST)

Following the conventions it will be full General Election mode: September 3 to November 2nd (Election Day).

Good luck and let the games begin!
-- NHI

P.S.
Other Dates to be aware of:

Sept. 30: First Presidential Debate (Foreign Policy/War on Terror)
Oct. 5: Vice Presidential Debate
Oct. 8: Second Presidential Debate (Town Hall)
Oct. 13. Third Presidential Debate (Domestic Policy/War on Terror)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #944 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »

General Election Polling: Giuliani v. Biden v. Johnson

GENERAL ELECTION POLL: GIULIANI + 4 OVER BIDEN

Rudy Giuliani: 48%
Joe Biden: 44%
Gary Johnson: 4%
Undecided: 4%

General Election Polling: Giuliani v. Biden (ONLY)

Rudy Giuliani: 50%
Joe Biden: 46%
Other: 4%
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #945 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:02 PM »

Statement from Senator Biden

Good afternoon.

Over the last six months, our party has had a long and passionate debate. We've all been up and down in the polls. But I'm not here to talk about polls. I'm here to talk about people. This is a country of hardworking people, that love their families and salute their flag. I congratulate Senator Edwards for his wonderfully run campaign. The people of North Carolina were right to elect him in 1998: throughout this primary campaign we have seen his passionate and generous heart.

Tomorrow begins a new day for America. A day where we can step forward toward our future, secure the American dream for our family, and chart a path through the twenty-first century of America.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #946 on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »

Dean and I (Obama) went all the way to the DNC, and I was hoping Edwards and Biden would too.

So was I, but I'll be leaving for South Carolina (with questionable internet at best) until Saturday, and I have debate nationals Sunday through Friday after that.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #947 on: June 10, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2014, 01:58:01 AM by badgate »

List of Possible Vice Presidential Candidates
Released by Biden for America to the press on April 14, 2004

The following is a completely unofficial list of names that have been discussed in meetings of the campaign. This list is subject to change and is in no way final.

---

U.S. Governors
Roy Barnes - Georgia*
Gaston Caperton - West Virginia*
Mike Easley - North Carolina
Brad Henry - Oklahoma
Gary Locke - Washington
Ronnie Musgrove - Mississippi*
Ann Richards - Texas*
Kathleen Sebelius - Kansas
Jeanne Shaheen - New Hampshire*
Tom Vilsack - Iowa
Mark Warner - Virginia

U.S. Senators
John Breaux - Louisiana
Maria Cantwell - Washington
Jean Carnahan - Missouri*
Mark Dayton - Minnesota
John Edwards - North Carolina
Bob Graham - Florida
Jesse Jackson - D.C./Illinois*
John Kerry - Massachsuetts
Mary Landrieu - Louisiana
Bill Nelson - Florida
Sam Nunn - Georgia*

U.S. Representatives
Tammy Baldwin - Wisconsin
Jesse Jackson, Jr. - Illinois
Dennis Kucinich - Ohio
Barbara Lee - California

*Not currently in office.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #948 on: June 10, 2014, 12:56:14 AM »

OOC: I am going away from June 14th to the 20th. Can I write my schedules ahead of time and send them to NHI, IDS Legislator Maxwell, or Governor Riley Keating and have them post them on my behalf?  I don't want the game go get held up on my accord.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #949 on: June 10, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »

I would be willing to post for you.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to: