2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 153878 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 19, 2014, 07:45:51 AM »

If everyone's on board we can start the next round by tomorrow? (Giuliani year 1: 2005)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1501 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »

If everyone's on board we can start the next round by tomorrow? (Giuliani year 1: 2005)

That's good to me.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1502 on: August 19, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »

Sounds good.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1503 on: August 19, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »

OOC: I'm ready now
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1504 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1505 on: August 19, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »

Sounds good to me.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1506 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »

Given how well I did as Hillary before forced out (my own fault, really) I'd love to return for 2008. I have someone in mind (If everyone will let me of course)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1507 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »

The Giuliani Years: Round 1 (2005)

Rudy Giuliani was elected President of the United States, after a hotly contested presidential election, which fortunately, unlike 2008 did not result in any legal disputes. Giuliani won a decisive victory in a four man race. His closest competitor, Democratic nominee Senator Joe Biden, he outpaced by nearly two points in the popular vote and a commanding 112 vote spread in the electoral vote.

RUDY GIULIANI ELECTED PRESIDENT
√ (R) Rudy Giuliani: 307 (36.7%)
(D) Joe Biden: 195 (34.8%)
(L) Gary Johnson: 21 (14.6%)
(G) Dennis Kucinich: 15 (13.7%)
Other: 0 (0.2%)

While a triumphant victory and certainly a referendum on the four year term of George W. Bush, Giuliani by no stretch of the imagination could claim a 'mandate'. In a four man race he only managed to win nearly 37 percent of the vote and third party candidates, Libertarian Gary Johnson and Green Party Dennis Kucinich could claim their campaigns were not lost causes. Their campaigns were the best showings for a third party in nearly forty years. (Ross Perot had won 19 million votes in 1992, but no electoral votes. Johnson carried four states, and Kucinich two, along with a Congressional District in Maine.)

Aware of the circumstances President-Elect Giuliani readied to take the direction in a moderate, some would call bipartisan direction. Wanting to ease the tensions and polarization, Giuliani took office, in the words of George H.W. Bush to build a kinder and gentler nation.

Approval Rating: Rudy Giuliani (Gallup, January 20, 2005)
Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 39%
Undecided/No Opinion: 8%

Generic Polling: 2008 Election (Gallup_
(R) Rudy Giuliani: 44%
(D) Generic Democrat: 35%
Undecided/Other: 21%

This Round will Close Sunday at 11:59 pm.
Let the Game Begin...Again!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1508 on: August 19, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

OOC: I'll be posting my Inauguration tonight, and then the 2005 State of the Union tomorrow.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1509 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »

OOC: I'll be posting my Inauguration tonight, and then the 2005 State of the Union tomorrow.

Not a problem
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1510 on: August 19, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »

Inauguration of Rudolph William Louis Giuliani
January 20th, 2005

Outgoing President George W. Bush and First Lady Laura Bush are treated as special guests of honor at the Inauguration. Both of them are seated to the immediate right of the Giuliani family. Also given positions of honor at the event are Congressman Dennis Kucinich, Senator Joe Biden, Senator George Allen, Secretary of the Treasury-designate Mitt Romney, Secretary of Commerce-designate Gary Johnson, and former Vice President Dick Cheney and their families.

William Rehnquist: Are you prepared to take the Oath, Mr. Vice President?
Rudy Giuliani: I am.
Rehnquist: I, Rudolph William Louis Giuliani, do solemnly swear...
Giuliani: I, Rudolph William Louis Giuliani, do solemnly swear...
Rehnquist: That I will faithfully execute...
Giuliani: That I will faithfully execute...
Rehnquist: The office of President of the United States...
Giuliani: The office of President of the United States...
Rehnquist: And will, to the best of my ability...
Giuliani: And will, to the best of my ability...
Rehnquist: Preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Giuliani: Preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
Rehnquist: So help you God?
Giuliani: So help me God.
Rehnquist: Congratulations, Mr. President.

"Vice President Hutchison, Mr. Chief Justice, President Bush, President Clinton, President Bush, President Carter, Mr. Ford, Mrs. Reagan, reverend clergy, members of Congress, distinguished guests, my fellow Americans.

We're here today to celebrate and respect the time-honored power of our Constitution. The Founders set aside a day, then in March, to swear in the President of the United States. At the time, the peaceful transition of power from one democratically elected officer to another was unheard of. The Founders put their trust in the American people and we have not let them down yet. Today is no exception. This election was the most dynamic race of modern times - there were four major candidates who all won multiple states and electoral votes. Many people felt strongly that their candidate was going to win and many felt disappointed when their candidate did not. But we are here today, in the spirit on unity and democracy, to inaugurate a new President and move on to a new era of bipartisanship and cooperation.

We are a nation built on freedom and liberty, where all people can vote and participate in their government and all people can be safe in their homes. These ideas have been central to our nation since its founding, and the message was reinforced when we were faced with the Civil War, with the threat of Nazi Germany, and once again with the threat from al-Qaeda on September 11th. But Americans have always stood strong in the faces of these threats, we've set aside our differences for the good of the nation, and moved to face the threat head on. I'd like to thank President Bush for his leadership since September 11th.

These ideas of freedom and liberty, however, are not applied universally. Many people across the globe live in fear, oppression, and darkness. The American Dream cannot be realized, our dreams cannot be fulfilled, until all people everywhere can share in the promise of democracy, freedom, and hope. We will combat the enemies of democracy on every stage, we will pursue terrorists to every corner of the globe, and we will defend the people of the world at every turn.

We must look inward, with our discussion of democracy, freedom, and hope. There are still people in America who are not treated as full citizens. I'm speaking of the many people who live in one of the United States Overseas territories - Guam, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, and the United States Virgin Islands. We must work towards extending the full rights of citizenship to all of these territories, and statehood to the people of Puerto Rico.

For all those whose cares have been my concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die. We will continue, over the next four years, to fight for the rights of all people, for economic prosperity, and for the many promises I made during the campaign. I welcome the media and the American people to hold me to this.

Thank you, God Bless you all, and God Bless the United States of America."
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #1511 on: August 20, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »

OOC: Are we going to play out the Giuliani Administration or just jump straight to '08?

I'm thinking highlighting the Administration. Then beginning
With September 2007 and start the game. 

Highlight the midterms please!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1512 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »

State of the Union Address
February 2nd, 2005

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroder, Teri Maude (the widow of Lieutenant General Timothy Maude), former NYPD Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik, former NYFD Commissioner Thomas Von Essen, Adam Brown (a 5th grade student from Los Angeles), former Governor of Puerto Rico Pedro Rossello, and former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld are seated next to First Lady Judith Giuliani as the special guests of President Rudy Giuliani. Secretary of Commerce Gary Johnson and Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao serve as the designated survivors for the event, watching the speech from separate, undisclosed locations under the protection of the United States Armed Forces.

Wilson Livingood: Mr. Speaker, the President of the United States!

"Thank you all. Mr. Speaker, Vice President Hutchison, Members of Congress, Members of the Supreme Court, Members of the Diplomatic Corps, Distinguished guests, fellow citizens:

The Constitution states that the President 'shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient'. This is a historic event that all Presidents before me and the many who come after me will do.

The most pressing issue facing my administration has been, and will continue to be, the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the War on Terror. Tonight, I will outline my administration's new policy with regards to the wars, as well as a series of economic reforms we will be putting in place over the next several months.

We must change our strategy with regards to Iraq. To continue on the same path will cost more American lives and raise the national debt. We must increase training for the Iraqi military, let the Iraqis lead most operations and begin the transition to an independent Iraq. We will no longer pursue a 'seek-and-destroy' strategy, instead our armed forces will be following a 'take-and-hold' method of combat. There will also be an increased focus on protecting the Iraqi citizenry.

In order to pursue this new strategy, I have decided to increase the number of American troops in Iraq. 35,000 new troops, with specialized skills in constructions and engineering, will be deployed to Iraq over the next six months. These troops will be enough to win the war and establish a lasting democracy in Iraq.

We must remember that the enemy, no matter where we are located, is terrorism - we were struck on September 11th, 2001 by terrorists, who were hiding overseas. In order to advance our anti-terrorism efforts we need to expand our foreign intelligence capabilities. I will authorize the Director of National Intelligence to centralize all counter-terrorism intelligence into a National Intelligence Directorate. The NID will have 5,000 specially trained troops for their use. These NID troops are trained to be experts in kill-or-capture raids on terrorist targets.

Due to the border-less nature of terrorists,  the United States Intelligence Community will no longer pay head to the national boundaries of areas that we suspect to be harboring terrorists, while in the pursuit of terror. Our goal is to bring down Osama bin Laden and I feel confident that we will do that with these reforms.

I ask our allies in Europe, South America, Asia, and Africa to stand strong with us in these endeavors. I said it while running for President and I will say it again - the United States cannot go it alone. The coalition is our key to success. I am inviting the leaders of our coalition allies to Washington to have a thorough and meaningful discussion of our strategy going forward. Secretary Lieberman and his staff will be arranging that in the coming weeks and months.

Our strategy in Afghanistan must also change. Our Armed Forces will implement a strategy, similar to that we will be using in Iraq, that is focused on protecting the population, 'taking-and-holding' land instead of destroying Taliban strong-holds, and improve the humanitarian situation in the country to protect the by-standers to the conflict. I am authorizing the deployment of 60,000 new troops to Afghanistan to assist with the new strategy. As before, these new troops will be able to win the war in a timely fashion.

Our nation's economy is strong. More people are working than anytime in the last four years, and our GDP is larger than any other nation in the world. In order to ensure our prosperity will continue my administration will begin implementing various economic reforms. While campaigning for President, I proposed a bill to raise the minimum wage in a reasonable and responsible manner. I now ask the Congress to pass that bill! Let's get it done!

There are several Government-sponsored enterprises that are wildly unregulated. This is a dangerous fiscal policy that could set our nation up for a second Great Depression. I am calling on Congress to pass legislation that will regulate GSE like they are private businesses. If we have these regulations for the mom-and-pop store on the corner of Main Street, why should the GSEs be able to run around almost with no regulations, when they deal with much more money and have a far greater risk than the average business? We must reign in the GSEs - Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FICO, Farmer Mac - so that the American people's money is not at risk. I am also asking Congress to expand the home mortgage interest deduction. Housing is the engine that drives our economy and expanding the tax deduction will spur people to buy homes and settle down, establishing families, and starting careers.

First Lady Judith Giuliani has taken up the struggle of childhood education, as her cross to bear over the next four years. We must keep our children in school and make higher education more available to all American children. Schools are the answer to crime rates, drug trafficking, and gang violence. If our children are in classrooms learning they are not on the streets, getting involved in bad practices.

I made a plea at my Inauguration to grant Puerto Rico statehood. I once again will make that statement: Puerto Rico will become the 51st State in our Union! I urge Congress to pass legislation admitting Puerto Rico to the United States of America and granting the people the full rights and benefits extended to all American citizens.

We must decide our course - will we turn back, or will we finish what we've started? Will we leave the Iraqi and Afghan people under the fear of terrorism, or will we protect the people of these nations? Will we put our troops in harms way, or will we give them the resources they need to achieve victory? Will we allow businesses to run amok with our money, or will we reign in these behemoths and make them safer? Will we continue to force single mothers to work three jobs to support her family, or will we raise the minimum wage? Will we turn our backs on our children, or will we promote education for every child - regardless of race, income, or gender? Will we continue to subject people to the old ways of imperialism, or will we welcome our Puerto Rican brothers and sisters as a new state? These are the questions that we must answer over the weeks, months, and years to come.

Thank you, and may God Bless the United States of America."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1513 on: August 21, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »

One America PAC: Statement on the State of the Union

On behalf of those of us working here at One America PAC to advocate real change in our country, I commend the President for his forward-thinking approach to many of the problems facing America today.

President Giuliani’s focus on homeownership is heartening. Like him, I believe homeownership, as the bedrock of economic security and the primary source of most families’ wealth is the engine of American economic growth. But if we’re focusing on strengthening homeownership, the foundation of the American dream, we need to act decisively to help regular people by fighting dangerous mortgages. There are dangerous practices in the mortgage market currently, and “exploding” interest rates and hidden fees mean quick profits for lenders and brokers but threaten the stability of millions of families. We need to enact a strong national law against predatory lending, like we did in North Carolina in 1999, which protects families without decreasing access to credit. I’m calling on Congress and the President to pass a strong national law that does the following: ban prepayment penalties, which trap families into unaffordable mortgages and prevent them from refinancing with another lender; ban yield-spread premiums, which function as a kickback for brokers who steer borrowers into higher-cost mortgages; establish uniform broker licensing standards and a national database for disciplinary infractions, to ensure brokers put borrowers’ interests first; establish new rules to combat appraisal and servicing fraud, which causes families to owe more than their home is actually worth; and ban a number of other abusive practices, including loan flipping, mandatory arbitration clauses, balloon loans, and other excessive fees. How will we make sure all this happens? I propose setting up a new Family Savings and Credit Commission, to be paid for by eliminating the Office of Thrift Supervision, to ensure vigorous and continuing regulation. Federal bank regulators are focusing on bank soundness, meaning no one’s watching non-bank finance companies. The FSCC would review all financial services marketed to America’s families, including abusive mortgages, to ensure their terms are reasonable and fairly disclosed - basically, ensuring that we put in place the same consumer protections we have for other financial products.

I’m also glad to see the First Lady focusing on childhood education. Whether through family literacy programs or increased investment in math and science education, we need a renewed focus on American education, no matter the cost. We all pay a price when young people, who could someday find a cure for AIDS or design a new fuel cell, end up sitting on a stoop because they didn’t get the education they need. I want to see a country that’s an education leader, not a follower. With ninety-five percent of urban high schools reporting trouble getting qualified teachers, and with rural schools enrolling 40% of our children but getting only 22% of our funding, we need a strong program of increased teacher pay and training (with a focus on rural and other hard-to-staff schools), including college scholarships for students who commit to teaching after graduation, to attract the best-quality teachers we can. We need to massively overhaul No Child Left Behind - better tests, broader measures of school success, and the resources and flexibility for states to identify and reform underperforming schools are all necessary to achieve the goal of helping all children learn on high level. We also need universal preschool education, modeled from North Carolina’s Smart Start program, that links together health care, child care, education, and family support services for children under five, to help our four-year-olds develop early academic and emotional skills. Beyond that, we also need extended STEM and after-school programs, stronger high school curricula, and an expansion of new digital teaching tools, to ensure that our children are getting the best education they possibly can. As the product of public schools in a small rural town, and as the father of four children who attended public schools, I understand the value of education, and believe that every child deserves the same chance at a great education, and I wish the First Lady all the best in reforming America’s schools.

Finally, his support for increasing the reward for working is the first step we need to take towards making work pay. President Giuliani discussed the strength of our nation’s economy - raising the minimum wage will help lift hundreds of thousands out of poverty and ensure they share in that prosperity. I urge the Congress, when considering this legislation, to also index the minimum wage to the Consumer Price Index, to ensure it will continue to rise. No one who works full time should have to live in poverty. If a job takes you away from your family every single day it had better pay you enough to support them. Now, the burden is on our Congress, to show whether they support working families and are courageous enough to raise the minimum wage to $9 an hour. Is that a high number? Yeah. It is. But we’ve had nearly eight years of inaction; if we want to see the minimum wage as a tool to fight poverty, reward work, and reduce inequality, we must raise it to $9, in line with its historic value. If we want an America that lifts up working families, an America that rewards work instead of wealth, we must raise the wage.

-John Edwards, former U.S. Senator for North Carolina
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1514 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »

Statement from the office of Senator Joe Biden

At 9:00am tomorrow, February 22, 2004, Senator Biden will introduce Senate Bill 032 to the United States Senate. SB32 will raise the minimum wage and bring millions of hardworking Americans out of poverty.

MEDIA ADVISORY: At 10:00am ET, Senator Biden and the cosponsors of SB32 as well as the cosponsors of the companion House bill, will address the press on the steps of the Capitol.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1515 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:33 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2014, 01:11:18 AM by badgate »

Outside Capitol building

Good Morning! This morning, I introduced Senate Bill 032 to Congress. It is a bill to raise the minimum wage to $7.75 an hour. It is no secret that the economy is stagnating, and we must take action in ways that have historically succeeded in strengthening the economy. We have a responsibility to remain vigilant, ensuring a low unemployment rate for years to come.

Myself and my colleagues here with me today have all co-sponsored this legislation and pledged to support it in the Senate. Congressman Kucinich will introduce a companion bill into the House of Representatives later today. I am calling on my colleagues to join me, as we have so many times before on so many issues of vital national importance, in support of this bill. And I am calling on President Giuliani to hold to his promise of working with Democrats, Greens, Libertarians, and Republicans who represent Americans across the beautiful and diverse political spectrum. The President promised to accomplish progress for the American people. He said himself that we should raise the wage just this month in his speech here at the capitol.

Some of you may be skeptical. I understand that. But the numbers are on our side. For every worker in America that receives this raise, they will spend an additional $3,000 over the following year. This raising of the minimum wage will reach millions of Americans, pumping even more money in consumer spending, which we all know is the key factor to new job growth. And with every new job comes a new consumer, putting more money into the economy. This is the cycle of prosperity that our bill will accomplish.

But periodically raising the minimum wage has become a political bulwark, so I am proud to announce that Senator Snowe of Maine has co-sponsored this bill, and her contributions include a provision tying the minimum wage to the indexed inflation rate; taking the issue away from the political arena and putting the hardworking among us first, once and for all.

This is an issue that is too important to wait. That is why I plan on using my experience in the Senate to see to it that this is accomplished. And if my colleagues get too mired in the politics to cough up a "yea" vote, they'll get a call from me, and every single Senator and Congressman here today. Thank you.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1516 on: August 22, 2014, 01:54:29 AM »

Statement on the minimum wage bill:

As you've heard from Senator Biden earlier, he has introduced the bill to raise the minimum wage earlier, and we stand united with him in support of something that's long due for the American people. I am introducing the same proposal to the House and I hope that we move swiftly on this. Although I would like a higher minimum wage than $7.75, this is a good starting point, and any increase is good news for working Americans. Public opinion is overwhelmingly in support of raising the minimum wage, and you'll find many economists who point to the benefits of giving a higher minimum wage. President Giuliani needs to be firm and get his fellow Republicans in Congress to come around on this issue if this will be successful, but I am hopeful that Congress will do the right thing in the end and pass this bill.

Introducing electoral reform to the House:

Today I am introducing the Voter Freedom Act. This bill creates national standards for ballot access for all federal elections. As it stands right now, state governments are able to decide the qualifications for a third party or independent candidate to be admitted on the ballot, and they can wildly differ. Some states like Oklahoma require tens of thousands of signatures that make it virtually impossible for anyone to get on the ballot but the Democrats and Republicans. As we've seen with this last election, third parties are now a true force in American politics, with the Green and Libertarian tickets getting double digits nationally and winning a couple of states. We also have Green and Libertarian representation in Congress now. The times have changed, and there is now no excuse to keep undermining third parties and independent candidates.

My plan would create a uniform standard for all states and D.C. on federal elections, with candidates needing to collect at least 1,000 valid signatures from registered voters in that particular state or district. Ballot access laws have been used to keep the two-party monopoly going for so long, shutting out other valuable voices and opinions from the national discussion. Other candidates suffer, but the voters also suffer from having their choices limited to them. If we give all candidates and parties a level playing field to be on, then I guarantee that you will see more Americans participating in the political process. This is common sense legislation and I implore my colleagues of all parties and affiliations, as well as the President, to stand with me and the American people and have this become reality.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1517 on: August 23, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

The Surge

1. Change our strategy to be a population-centric counterinsurgency effort.

The first step in winning the war is changing our strategy. To continue doing the same thing we've done will only cost more Americans their lives and grow our national debt. We must make every moment in Iraq count. Shifting our strategy to focus on protecting the population, winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people, and moving away from a seek-and-destroy model of engagement are critical to winning the war. American troops will allow Iraqi troops to lead and will train the Iraqi military to manage their own affairs. Our efforts in improving the security situation will be replaced with a take-and-hold method of warfare. We'll focus on capturing, securing, and holding large portions of the country.

2. Increase the troop deployment to Iraq to accomplish new mission.

The forces we have on the ground now are not sufficient to accomplish our new mission. The United States Armed Forces will increase the troop deployment by 35,000. These additional troops are enough to win the war. These surge troops will be trained to protect the population. Skills such as construction, engineering, etc. will be highly valued in these new recruits.

3. Increase the effectiveness and strength of our intelligence community.

It is the directive of our intelligence community to keep us safe. Winning the War on Terror will require an expansion of our foreign intelligence capacity. We must also authorize the intelligence community to act in any foreign country to root out terrorism. The President will authorize the Director of National Intelligence to centralize all counter-terrorism intelligence in a National Intelligence Directorate. The NID will have 5,000 specially trained troops for their use. These NID troops are trained to be experts in kill-or-capture raids on terrorist targets.

4. Broaden the scope of our intelligence community's efforts abroad.

Since the tragic events of 9/11, our nation has said we will draw no distinction between terrorists and their allies. In order to more effectively prosecute the War on Terror, the United States Intelligence Community will no longer recognize the national boundaries of the following nations when in pursuit of terror:

-Bahrain
   -Cyprus
   -Egypt
   -Iran
   -Iraq
   -Northern Cyprus
   -Oman
   -Qatar
   -Syria
   -United Arab Emirates
   -Yemen
   -Pakistan

5. Implement a counter-insurgency strategy in Afghanistan.
Similar to Iraq, we must focus on winning the hearts and minds of the population in Afghanistan. Our strategy must shift to protect the people and improve the humanitarian situation as well as the security situation. Our new modus operandi is take-hold-develop, similar to Iraq. Implementation of this strategy will require 60,000 new troops to be deployed to Afghanistan.

6. Degrade access to funding, weapons, and support for terrorists.

Our efforts in the past have been largely successful in identifying and weakening terrorist support networks. With the expansion of foreign intelligence powers, we must also take a freeze-and-seize approach to terrorist assets all over the world. Alongside limiting terrorist financial assets, a new program of poppy eradication in Afghanistan is critical. Our country must step up its agricultural aid to Afghan farmers to complement Columbia-style drug eradication missions.

7. Develop a coalition to address weak Middle Eastern borders.

Terrorist networks have demonstrated their adaptability and flexibility. Their fluid, soldiers-without-countries nature allows them to take advantage of the weak border situation across the Middle East. Efforts to truly eradicate terrorist networks in one country should be complemented by an international commitment to securing national borders in the Middle East.

8. Reassure our allies and include them in the new strategic shift.

Our allies are champions of the Freedom Agenda. They understand the incredible importance of a foreign policy based on both national interest as well as national values. Securing their commitment and strengthening the coalition with new partners and a surge in resources is critical to effectively implementing the new strategy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1518 on: August 23, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

A farewell to Rummy:

Interviewer: Mr. Rumsfeld, I would like to know your take on the administration.
Rumsfeld: Well, what can I say to you? President Giuliani has done a great job during the first months of the administration, and is proving that he has indeed the leadership skills and the ideas to move our country forward.
Interviewer: What about the State of the Union speech? The President outlined a road for the War on Terror that was quite specific, and, as some have pointed out, different from the approach that Former President Bush and you took.
Rumsfeld: I know, I was there. (Chuckles) It was very gracious of the President to invite to the address, and I found it to be very focused and effective. You see, when you have different Presidents and different Secretaries of Defense you are bound to see changes. My style is perhaps a bit more combative than Secretary Rice, but the administration is pushing for very sensible measures like the proposed surge.
Interviewer: So no hard feelings for the changes or for not having a cabinet post?
Rumsfeld: Of course not. (Smiles) I am 100% behind the President and his efforts, he is the man who can win the War on Terror. When I started my Presidential campaign I knew very well it was probably the end of my long career, as in, the White House or a retirement in the public sector.
Interviewer: Some have argued that due to your age retirement is the more sensible road, although it has been rumored you might be running for something else.
Rumsfeld: Nonsense, pure nonsense. No, after being a Congressman, Chief of Staff and Secretary of Defense you don't tend to have an obsession for holding an office. I still plan to make a few tours, discuss foreign affairs, give some advice and so forth, but I have no plans of running for office.
Interviewer: Well, Mr. Rumsfeld, this has been a very productive interview. If you don't mind a final question, it seems many Americans have qualms about the Iraq War as we speak. Do you still believe the invasion was the right choice?
Rumsfeld: I would say yes, at the moment it was the best choice. Now, I don't how the American people will see in the future or what will the history books tell, so I guess time will tell.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1519 on: August 23, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »

The Senate Conservative Caucus - No on the Minimum Wage

"I will not allow our government to continue to impede on the free market, the freedom to negotiate contracts, and more bothersome hazards for businesses to expand. We need less people working at the minimum level, not more, and the minimum wage increase will only push more people into poverty in the long term. I stand with my fellow conservatives today to protest the movement on this bill."

Freshman Senator Jim DeMint, just months after inauguration, has already asserted his power as a conservative leader. Standing in the way of Veterans Affairs Nominee Wesley Clark, he has pushed for a balanced budget amendment, a major tax cut initiative, and Right to Life amendment. Most of these measures are things that haven't passed in the past and aren't going to pass now, but he has organized serious opposition to the new minimum wage bill among the Republican Senate conference. President Giuliani expected Party elders to fall in line and back the bill, but now it seems he will have to find straggling members in order to get the bill through.

Support for Kucinich Electoral Reform bill includes Senator DeMint

"the voice of the people has been disenfranchised by party elders trying to control our government. Washington saw the ills of the party system, and to that effect, I will work together with Congressman Kucinich and any Democrat Senator who wishes to collaborate, to create a bill that will make sure that every voice is heard without sacrificing a states rights."

In a shocking turn of events, Senator DeMint has announced he will back electoral reform, or at least the concept. DeMint has stated that, for national elections, more voices need to be heard. DeMint at least made it clear that he would not back a bill that is a federal government overreach, so he is planning on modifying the bill a touch with some amendments, but nevertheless willing to be cooperative and friendly with major Democrats in favor of the bill.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1520 on: August 23, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »

OOC: DeMint gonna comment on the War on Terror?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1521 on: August 23, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

Statement from the Office of the President of the United States
White House Press Secretary Chris Wallace

President Rudy Giuliani would like to announce three things:

1) Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has been hired by President Giuliani to serve as the Presidential Envoy to the Middle East. Mr. Rumsfeld has had a long and very impressive career within the Congress, various Presidential Administrations, and the Defense Industry. He will be given offices in Baghdad and Washington, and will report, directly to the President, on the issues of Middle Eastern Security, stability in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the progress of American Forces.

2) President Rudy Giuliani will sit down for an interview with Larry King at the White House next week, and will appear on Meet the Press with Tim Russert the week after. Various members of the Administration will travel around the press circuit on behalf of the President.

3) President Rudy Giuliani will embark on his first foreign tour during the month of August, the itinerary can be found below. While in Belgium, he will chair a meeting of the NATO Military Council to discuss operation in Iraq. His primary objective, while in Afghanistan and Iraq, will be to meet with U.S. Troops and spur moral. In Iraq, he will also install Mr. Rumsfeld as the Presidential Envoy.

August 5th-8th: United Kingdom
August 9th-12th: The Netherlands
August 13th: Belgium
August 14th-17th: Russia
August 18th-20th: Afghanistan
August 21st-23rd: Iraq

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1522 on: August 23, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »

OOC: DeMint gonna comment on the War on Terror?

DeMint supports the Presidents efforts in the War on Terror.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1523 on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »

Secretary Rice to make rounds in press, climb Capitol Hill, and travel.

Defense Secretary Rice will be making rounds in the press to bolster public support for the new strategy in the War on Terror. Rice will do a full profile with the Washington Post and TIME magazine. Several Department staff will also be working with the press to increase support of the President's foreign policy.

Secretary Rice's trip to Capitol Hill will rally the nation's representatives to the cause of the Freedom Agenda. Secretary Rice will meet with the Democratic and Republican leaders in the House and Senate. She will also meet with Senator Jim DeMint and the chairs of the Foreign Affairs, Intelligence, Military, and Veteran's Affairs committees.

Secretary Rice will be visiting Iraq from August 19th to August 23rd. She will meet with numerous Iraqi officials and members of the political opposition. Meals will be spent with the troops. She will play the piano at a reception for Iraqi political and military officials. Condi will be traveling to the front lines to visit with troops and talk with community leaders in the Anbar province.

Using a portion of savings from defense acquisition reform, Secretary Rice is pleased to announce $350 million in economic assistance in Iraq with a particular focus on Anbar province.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1524 on: August 23, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »

OOC: Actually implementing the new strategy, it works very similarly to the way Petraeus worked in the real world. The surge is starting earlier than it did in real life. This is when the war isn't really devastatingly unpopular politically. This will mostly prevent a lot of the criticism of the War on Terror.

Surging in both Iraq and Afghanistan simultaneously will let us get out quicker. Cracking down on terror on all fronts rather than winning one then pivoting to the other is a more responsible strategy. The troop surge and new strategy will win the traditional war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have no doubt about that.

On the intelligence front, this would essentially make the bin Laden raid of 2011 the modus operandi of the counterterror specialists in the US military. We don't care where they are, what country they're in. We go and get them with boots on the ground. Kill or capture raids will provide a much more robust source of intelligence and also seriously limit the command and control capabilities of terror networks.

The vision of the border controls is strengthening the enforcement of our allies. We could lean on the saudis to provide border security to nations on the Arabian Peninsula. Lebanon needs to secure it's border with Syria. By limiting terrorist movement in the region, that alone will severely damage their operational capacity. Movement and freedom to plan are the cornerstone of fluid terror networks. Removing those factors will weaken networks in the region.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies