2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:33:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 154273 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: August 28, 2014, 12:18:20 AM »

Statement from the Office of the President of the United States
White House Press Secretary Chris Wallace

President Rudy Giuliani will hold a press conference at Camp David tomorrow. He will answer questions from the press, and then head out to campaign for candidates for various offices. He will campaign with Senator George Allen, former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, Mr. Donald Trump, former Governor Bill Weld, and former Governor Jesse Ventura over the next week.

((Get your questions ready.))
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1601 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »

OOC: is the Texas gubernatorial happening the same as IRL? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_gubernatorial_election,_2006
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1602 on: August 28, 2014, 06:16:45 AM »

There will be the one independent, but Democratic nominee is Laura miller
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1603 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:13 AM »

Rudy Giuliani Press Conference
Arlington, Virginia

"Hello everyone. Chris says that you've got a few questions for me? (laughs) O.K., let's get started here."

Giuliani points at a reporter.

((Post your questions for President Giuliani here. Don't worry about going question, answer, question, answer. Just ask and I'll get to them as I see them.))
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1604 on: August 28, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »

Thank you, Mr. President. Could you expand on the full legal and diplomatic ramifications of no longer recognizing the national boundaries of nations like Bahrain and Egypt?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1605 on: August 28, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »

Thank you, Mr. President. Could you expand on the full legal and diplomatic ramifications of no longer recognizing the national boundaries of nations like Bahrain and Egypt?

"Let me clarify something for you. We're not saying that these countries don't exist, that they don't have borders. The policy revolves solely around the United States Intelligence Community and its role in the War on Terror. This is a practice that was started by the Bush Administration following the launch of the War on Terror. Secretaries Lieberman, Rice, and myself decided to expand the scope of the policy so that we have the greatest chance of success in our endeavors against terrorism.
The United States makes no distinction between terrorists and the states that harbor them. Terrorism has no home nation, so we cannot treat terrorists like a traditional enemy state. If we want to win the War on Terror we have to stop focusing on national boundaries because terrorists don't stay within one nation. Thank you, next question.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1606 on: August 28, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »

Mr. President, let's turn to politics for a moment. A number of conservatives within your own party have been upset over some of your actions in office, and we've seen rumblings of a primary challenge against you. Senator DeMint has been the most visible person here, but other names have also popped up. How seriously do you take these threats, and are their concerns legitimate?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1607 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »

OOC; Still undecided about my 2008 candidate... but I have narrowed it down.. sort of.

Hillary, Obama mulling runs for White House

David Axelrod, Senator Barack Obama's Chief of Staff, and a key strategist during Hillary Clinton's 2004 Presidential bid, told Bob Schieffer during the August 27 edition of Face the Nation that both Senators were contemplating a Presidential bid, and that Clinton was 50-50 to run again, while Obama was "likely" to run.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1608 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »

Mr. President, let's turn to politics for a moment. A number of conservatives within your own party have been upset over some of your actions in office, and we've seen rumblings of a primary challenge against you. Senator DeMint has been the most visible person here, but other names have also popped up. How seriously do you take these threats, and are their concerns legitimate?

Chuck, if Tim Russert every retired they should put you on Meet The Press. (laughs)

I know, I knew when I won the election, that there were going to be some people in the party who wouldn't be happy with some of my positions. They should have known that when they voted for me. I've always made my positions very clear.

Jim DeMint, Bob Smith, Mark Sanford - they're all good people, but we disagree on a few policy matters. I think that's perfectly normal and a key part of the American political system. Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton weren't always the most popular people even within their own party.  I don't expect every Republican to become a rubber stamp to my agenda.

2008, the election, is more than 2 years away. A lot could happen between now and then. Any talk of a primary challenge, at this point, is just media speculation during a slow news block. Next question.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1609 on: August 28, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »

"Mr. President, do you care to justify your actions involving green energy? There's been a lot of controversy over the way you've handled that, almost completely going over the heads of congress. Do you think what you've done is constitutional?"
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1610 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »

"Mr. President, do you care to justify your actions involving green energy? There's been a lot of controversy over the way you've handled that, almost completely going over the heads of congress. Do you think what you've done is constitutional?"

"Ed, I think you're just jealous I didn't pick you for White House Press Secretary. (laughs)

In all seriousness, no. Those people who are upset about the Department of Energy pursuing other forms of energy other than oil, are just trying to make names for themselves. Isn't it the job of the Department of Energy to research and invest in energy production? We're not raising taxes to provide these alternative energy grants, we're taking a small portion of funds already set aside for the DoE and using it for a different purpose. I don't need Congressional Approval to do this. The President is given the power to issue Executive Orders to regulate the functioning of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. By telling Secretary Domenici how to spend the money that Congress granted the DoE in the budget, I'm just doing my job.

Some people have said that solar, winds, and geothermal energies are 'new' and 'radical', that they're 'likely to fail'. Well let me quote Senator Biden here 'That's a load of malarkey'. The process of drawing energy from the sun was patented in 1897 and Jimmy Carter had solar panels on the White House in 1979. Windmills have existed since the 200s B.C., and modern turbines have been around since 1887. Ancients were using geothermal energy for baths and heating long before Colombus sailed to America. The first geothermal generator was used in 1904. These aren't new means of energy production, they've been under our feet and around us for a long time. It's time that we start tapping into them so that we aren't under the thumb of foreign oil tycoons. Next question.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1611 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:09 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 07:03:05 PM by DKrol of Highgarden »

"Thanks everyone, that's it."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1612 on: August 28, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »

Reminder this round closes tonight. Round 3 will take place until September 2007 and from there we'll start the 08 part of the game.

I'll start taking submissions for candidates as of tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1613 on: August 28, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

Reminder this round closes tonight. Round 3 will take place until September 2007 and from there we'll start the 08 part of the game.

Thanks everyone

Can we get a new thread for candidate recruitment and the 2008 game? Lock this one up and save it for posterity.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1614 on: August 28, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »

Thanks everyone

Can we get a new thread for candidate recruitment and the 2008 game? Lock this one up and save it for posterity.

Second.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1615 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »

Thanks everyone

Second.

I agree with this. We've definitely had a good ride in this thread.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1616 on: August 28, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »

Absolutely.
Once we complete this round, candidate recruitment and the new game thread will be started.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1617 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »

Round III: The Giuliani Years (Midterms, January 2007-September 2007)

Heading into another year of the Giuliani Administration, and the 2008 Presidential Election is already begun. Candidates are starting to test the waters, including those on the right (Bob Smith and Jim DeMint) who may challenge the President for the Republican Nomination. No official word from either camps, but as the year ticks on, more names will emerge and candidacies will be declared. 2006 saw the Midterms, an often difficult showing for the incumbent party, but Giuliani's strong approval ratings over the handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and the welcome news of the successful Surge in Iraq, the President sits comfortably with an average 55 percent approval rating to start out the new year.

Democrats in an attempt to mire the Administration in scandal and tie Giuliani to corruption, went after him over his actions involving green energy, with some going as so far to call it unconstitutional and exceeding his authority. The President has dismissed the charges by Democrats and at a Press Conference, prior to the November election addressed the matter. "In all seriousness, no. Those people who are upset about the Department of Energy pursuing other forms of energy other than oil, are just trying to make names for themselves. Isn't it the job of the Department of Energy to research and invest in energy production? We're not raising taxes to provide these alternative energy grants, we're taking a small portion of funds already set aside for the DoE and using it for a different purpose. I don't need Congressional Approval to do this. The President is given the power to issue Executive Orders to regulate the functioning of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. By telling Secretary Domenici how to spend the money that Congress granted the DoE in the budget, I'm just doing my job."

The President also made 2 appointments to the Supreme Court. First by making Anthony Kennedy, the new Chief Justice (replacing William Rehnquist) along with John Roberts, who replaced Sandra Day O'Connor and Orin Hatch who succeeded Anthony Kennedy. All nominations were approved without delay by the United States Senate.

The Midterm Election season was one for the books, with many incumbents being ousted in primaries. One of the most notable being Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who lost to former governor Tom Ridge in a narrow election. Heading into the Election Republican held majorities in both the House and the Senate and historically were projected to lose a few seats, but the strong approval ratings of the President, as well as the booming economy and success in Iraq, gave the Democrats with very little to run on. Though, the results could hardly be described a landslide, but more of a moderate success for the incumbent party. 2006 was the best showing for an incumbent party since 1998, interestingly when Bill Clinton was serving his second term and mired in the Lewinsky Scandal. Though it wasn't a complete loss for Democrats, they did win the keys to a few Governor's Mansions and and scored a few Senate seats.

Gubernatorial Elections: 2006 (Excerpt)
Alabama: Republican Hold
√ (R) Roy Moore: 55.6%
(D) Lucy Baxley: 44.4%

Alaska: Republican Hold
√ (R) Sarah Palin: 50.0%
(D) Tony Knowles: 39.5%
(L) Andrew Halcro: 7.7%
Other: 2.8%

Arkansas: Republican Hold
√ (R) Asa Hutchinson: 50.1%
(D) Mike Beebe: 49.3%

Arizona: Democratic Hold
√ (D) Janet Napolitano: 62.0%
(R) Len Munsill: 35.9%

California: Republican Hold
√ (R) Arnold Schwarzengger: 59.1%
(D) Phil Angelides: 35.9%

Colorado: Democrat Gain
√ (D) Bill Ritter: 52.8%
(R) Bob Beauprez: 46.1%

Connecticut: Republican Hold
√ (R) Jodi Rell: 68.9%
(D) John DeStefano: 27.5%
(G) Clifford Thornton: 3.6%

Florida: Republican Hold
√ (R) Charlie Crist: 50.3%
(D) Jim Davis: 44.8%
(L) John Wayne Smith: 4.8%

Idaho: Republican Hold
√ (R) C.L. Butch Otter: 54.0%
(D) Jerry Brandy: 42.9%
(L) Ted Dunlap: 3.1%

Massachusetts: Democratic Gain
√ (D) Deval Patrick: 47.4%
(D) Bill Weld: 46.9%
(I) Christy Mihos: 4.7%

Minnesota: Republican Hold
√ (R) Tim Pawlenty: 50.5%
(D) Mike Hatch: 47.3%

Other: 2.2%

New York: Republican Hold
√ (R) Donald Trump: 51.0%
(D) Eliot Spitzer: 47.1%

Ohio: Democratic Pickup
√ (D) Ted Strickland: 51.8%
(R) Ken Blackwell: 47.0%

Maryland: Republican Hold
√ (R) Bob Ehrich: 50.5%
Martin O'Malley: 49.4%

Maine: Republican Gain
√ (R) Peter Mills: 35.5%
(D) John Baldacci: 32.1%
(I) Barbara Merrill: 29.4%

Oregon: Democratic Hold
√ (D) Ted Kulongoski: 50.7%
(R) Ron Saxton: 45.9%
Other: 3.4%

Wisconsin: Democratic Hold
√ (D) Jim Doyle: 49.7%
(R) Mark Green: 48.9%

Republicans: 28
Democrats: 22

Senatorial Elections: 2006 (Snapshot)
Connecticut Senatorial Election: Democratic Hold
√ (D) Ned Lamont: 49.61%
(R) Alan Schlesinger: 49.46%

Maryland Senatorial Election: Republican Gain
√ (R) Michael Steele: 49.7%
Ben Cardin: 49.0%

Minnesota Senatorial Election: Independent Pickup
√ (I) Jesse Ventura: 38.9%
(D) Amy Klobuchar: 31.1%
(R) Mark Kennedy: 29.0%

Missouri Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (R) Jim Talent: 50.3%
(D) Claire McCaskill: 48.7%

Montana Senatorial Election: Democratic Gain
√ (D) Jon Tester: 49.12%
(D) Conrad Burns: 49.07%

New Jersey Senatorial Election: Republican Gain
√ (R) Thomas Kean, Jr: 49.30%
(D) Bob Menendez: 49.05%

Ohio Senatorial Election: Democratic Gain
√ (D) Sherrod Brown: 50.4%
(R) Mike DeWine: 47.3%

Pennsylvania Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (R) Tom Ridge: 50.4%
(D) Bob Casey: 48.7%
Other: 2.2%

Rhode Island Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (R) Lincoln Chaffee: 48.5%
(D) Sheldon Whitehouse: 47.9%
Other: 3.6%

Tennessee Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (D) Bob Corker 50.8%
(D) Harold Ford, Jr.: 47.9%

Texas Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (R) Ron Paul: 50.9%
(D) Barbara Ann Radnofsky: 48.0%

Virginia Senatorial Election: Republican Hold
√ (R) George Allen: 51.5%
(D) Jim Webb: 47.5%

Vermont Senatorial Election: Indepndent Gain
√ (I) Bernie Sanders: 56.9%
(R) Richard Tarrant: 43.1%
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1618 on: August 28, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »

√ Republican: 52
Democrat: 46
Independent: 2

House of Representatives: 2006 Midterms
√ Republicans: 225 (-6)
Democrats: 206 (+7)
Green: 1

This round will close on Tuesday at 11:59 pm EST
This round will take the game through September 2007, so starting today I will take candidate requests. Round IV will begin with the primaries circa September 2007.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1619 on: August 29, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »

June 1, 2007

Yonkers, New York

Bill's health forced me out last time, and now that he's completely back to his old self, It's time to try again. I haven't forgiven myself for being so close to the nomination, and leaving, and now America it's time to find out just what this candidate is truly made of!

OOC; As you can see, I chose to run as Hillary again,

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1620 on: August 29, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »

I will be opening up a second thread for the 2008 portion.
Senator Lumie will be playing Tom Vislack
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1621 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »

Trumpmania: Victory!

New York State, November 8th, 2006:
With the Midterms favoring the Republican Party it seems Donald Trump was able to stage his unexpected victory, narrowly defeating a very strong rival to become the next Governor of New York. Mr. Trump gave a passionate speech to his supporters, and he pledged to get to work as soon as he could to give New York the leadership and the common sense he hopes to bring.

"Over the years I've participated in many battles and have really almost come out very very victorious every single time. I've beaten many people and companies, and I've won many wars. I have fairly, but intelligently won many billions of dollars, which in a sense was both a scorecard and acknowledgement of my abilities. During my lifetime I was always a little different right? A little different than what you've been hearing? You see, I've always been told that a person of great accomplishment and achievement can not become a politician or run for political office, because there are too many enemies along this highway to success. But today New York proved all of them wrong. (Applause) I have a reputation for telling it like it is. I'm known for my candor, and I congratulate the Democrats on a strong showing here, but the people have let their voice be heard.

The fact is, this theory of a very successful person running for office is rarely tested because most successful people don't wanna be scrutinized or abused. And that's what happens. If you see it, that's what happens. We don't have time to wait 25 years and get it right, we can and we need to work hard now. I want to see a strong New York state, and we can do it. We're sitting on top of something that is amazing, incredible wealth, incredible people, incredible opportunities for the future. The bottom line of my views (and I suspect that most if not all of my party agrees with this) is that we need to make the places in were we live strong again, we need to ensure that the people living here will prosper. You can trust me when I say this: we have such unbelievable potential, and we have to use it. We need the right leaders!

During this year I had the chance of touring the entire state and meeting truly great people, and I am glad to be able to serve and to lead as your new Governor. I will miss my companies, yes, but public service involves sacrifice and when I said I would be devoted to this state I meant it. I'm glad to have decided to run in this race, I'm glad to this victory, and by this time next year I hope you will be glad with my work here, bringing true common sense to politics and to the people of our great state. Thank you all very much, thank you!"
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1622 on: August 29, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »

DeMint - I'll stay in the Senate, thanks

"You don't have to run for President to advance Conservative causes. Though we had some setbacks, we had a very successful 2006 midterm for conservative candidates, and I believe we will continue on the right path. I will not be a candidate for President in 2008, nor will I endorse anyone who does run for President until someone viable arises. My work in the Senate is not done."

After much speculation, Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina has rejected the idea of running for President very officially. In a Press Conference in December of 2006, where many anticipated he would announce his exploratory committee, he announced he would stay put in the Senate. Some still think DeMint may abandon his seat and run for Governor in 2010, but that is pure speculation only on DeMint's love of the campaign and disdain for Senate process.

In his conference, no matter how much he was prodded, he would not say whether or not he would endorse the President, mostly going back to the point that he would advance conservative causes and search for a viable candidate. Nobody, however, believes DeMint is enthusiastic about a second Giuliani term.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1623 on: August 29, 2014, 02:34:27 PM »

State of the Union Address
January 23rd, 2007

Former President Jimmy Carter, former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, former General Norman Schwarzkopf, former Secretary of State Colin Powell,  former Army Chief of Staff Eric Shinseki, Michael Koors, a high school history teacher from Atlanta, Georgia, and Dom Wood, a third grade student from Detroit, Michigan are seated next to First Lady Judith Giuliani as the special guests of President Rudy Giuliani. Secretary of Education Judd Gregg and Secretary of Energy Peter Domenici serve as the designated survivors for the event, watching the speech from separate, undisclosed locations under the protection of the United States Armed Forces.

Wilson Livingood: Mr. Speaker, the President of the United States!

"Thank you all. Mr. Speaker, Vice President Hutchison, Members of Congress, Members of the Supreme Court, Members of the Diplomatic Corps, Distinguished guests, fellow citizens:

Tonight, people from across the world are tuning in their televisions to watch us partake in a time honored tradition of the American presidency. Woodrow Wilson reinstated the policy of the President delivering the State of the Union in person to Congress, as George Washington had done when the Congress met in New York City. Between Washington and Wilson, the President simply wrote a message to the Congress on the state of our nation - the Constitution only says that the President ‘shall from time to time give to Congress information of the State of the Union and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.’ By that definition, that President could send over a copy of the Wall Street Journal with a Post-It note of suggestions for the next year. Some in my office suggested that I do that this year but I said no. I hold this tradition and its message too important.

I am here to give a report on the State of our Union. Last year, I said that we were strong and would only become stronger as we moved forward. Tonight I can affirm that we have indeed grown stronger over the last year.

In 2003, President Bush stood on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln, with a banner that decried ‘Mission Accomplished’ in Iraq. We now know that the President acted with haste in that judgement, that the mission was far from accomplished. However, four years later, I can proudly announce that the mission in Iraq has been accomplished. The Surge has been a massive success, American casualties are at an all time low, and more people are taking a role in their government. Secretary Libermann, Secretary Rice, Secretary Clark, Chairman Pace, Envoy Rumsfeld, Ambassador Zalmay, and myself are about to begin the process of drawing up plans for the withdrawal of American troops - beginning in the fall of 2008 with the hopes of full withdrawal by the spring of 2012.

America has been under the thumb of foreign oil tycoons for far too long. We cannot, we must not, and we will not continue on that path. The Department of Energy has provided grants and companies that develop and invest in alternative forms of energy production - such as solar, wind, wave, and geothermal. These are not dangerous, these are not new - they are just untapped. I am directing Secretary Domenici to continue with this program. Doing this will bring down the cost to heat our homes, the cost to fuel our cars, and create a better environment for ourselves, our children, and for many generations to come. President Carter had solar panels put on the White House in 1979, but President Reagan had them taken down when he took office. New, more efficient solar panels will be installed on the White House roof and grounds once the weather becomes more favorable.

President Bush signed the No Child Left Behind Act, as an attempt to reform our failing education system. NCLB, now in its 6th year, has failed to make the grade. The policy focuses on punishing less than stellar schools, rather than promoting the success of students. Tests are not the best measure of a student's potential. We need to make sure that teachers have the resources to help a child flourish in life, be successful in employment, and prepared for higher education. Secretary Gregg and the Department of Education will begin to issue waivers, to states that agree to raise standards of success, close the gap between students of different backgrounds, and promote parental involvement in education, that will exempt the states from No Child Left Behind regulations. I believe that the states and municipalities of our nation hold the keys to success in education.

I have outlined my administration’s goals and policies for the next year and the path we’d like to be on for the next several years. Thank you, and may God Bless the United States of America."

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1624 on: August 29, 2014, 03:07:36 PM »

Influential Republican Congressman - With Friends like Giuliani, who needs the liberals

Washington D.C. - Tensions between the President and his Republican congress came to a new level with the new State of the Union, which seemed to be a continuation of the President's agenda of green energy, education, and basically bringing nothing before congress. An influential Republican Congressman, one who is not necessarily affiliated with the Party's right wing, has apparently had enough.

In an anonymous tirade, the Congressman slammed the President's executive action on green energy and education, calling it an "undermining of Republican policy and an undermining of the political process". "He's abandoned the people who elected him, and he should be held accountable. With friends like Giuliani, who needs the liberals. If we re-elect him, we prove ourselves to be ideologically defunct and should be extinct."
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies