SENATE BILL: Long-term Unemployment Relief Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:13:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Long-term Unemployment Relief Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Long-term Unemployment Relief Act (Law'd)  (Read 6274 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

Frankly, I'm ashamed of the President for abandoning Atlasia's working class (and after he promised them higher wages, no less!). I stand united with Sen. TNF and the entire Labor Party in opposing this vile betrayal of the Atlasian people. If President Duke didn't want higher wages, he shouldn't have passed the FLSA in the first place.

Exactly! If he had such a problem with it before, why not utilize his ability to re-write the legislation? Why repeal it wholescale now? It's nonsense. Utter nonsense and contempt for working people.

In a way, this is even more cruel than if he had just vetoed the original bill - there are probably working families who were counting on those extra wages to get some time to themselves or buy a new car or some such thing.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2014, 06:40:46 PM »

I think I stated before that I overlooked the minimum wage hike to $18/hour back when I signed the bill. I absolutely favored the rest of the reforms in the bill. You have to understand that raising the minimum wage from $12.50 to $18 in 4 years will put more working class people out of work as opposed to making them better off. The Senate can revisit it in the future to see if it can be sustainable.

Ultimately, I am here to put people back to work, not out of work. That has always been my goal since taking office, and together, all of us, we boast pretty strong results. I am fine being crucified now, go ahead, stone me in the public square, call me names, it gets me off like an attractive girl, I promise you, but this repeal will be good for job creation. I'd rather someone be making $12.50 and have a job instead of $0 because companies won't hire them due to inflated minimum wage.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2014, 06:47:19 PM »

Frankly, I'm ashamed of the President for abandoning Atlasia's working class (and after he promised them higher wages, no less!). I stand united with Sen. TNF and the entire Labor Party in opposing this vile betrayal of the Atlasian people. If President Duke didn't want higher wages, he shouldn't have passed the FLSA in the first place.

Exactly! If he had such a problem with it before, why not utilize his ability to re-write the legislation? Why repeal it wholescale now? It's nonsense. Utter nonsense and contempt for working people.

In a way, this is even more cruel than if he had just vetoed the original bill - there are probably working families who were counting on those extra wages to get some time to themselves or buy a new car or some such thing.

Unless they were the ones who got layed off in ancitipation of having to pay higher labor costs. If you want to raise a stink about inconsistency of Atlasian Governance, then maybe we should leave the minumum wage alone for a while considering it is indexed to inflation. If we want to boost living standards why don't we increase the Nixcome instead of relying on something as flawed as the minimum wage to achieve that end.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2014, 06:51:26 PM »

I introduce you to Former Labor President Nix:
Even if we didn't have a basic income guarantee, I'd question the wisdom of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Raising the minimum wage to $18 within only 4 years doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm shocked that President Duke signed on to that. I would not have.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

Seriously people, read my interviews. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2014, 06:54:12 PM »

The FLSA was not repealed. Even the provision extending the minimum wage to peolpe under 18 was preserved. I used a rather fine scapel with my amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »

Everyone agrees that it would have been better back in December to raise the issue and take care of it then. If you make a mistake though, do you maintain a bad policy that you think will hurt more then help, or do you own up to and fix it before it is too late?

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »

Oh, the reversal (and the fact that our dear President seems to have overlooked one of the main components of a bill he signed) are but a small part of my and TNF's objection to the bill. We can debate the minimum wage vs. basic income all day (and I'm still not entirely sure what the levels of cash-money Nixcome provides are and how much they help people escape poverty), but I'm going to stand with the working class here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »

It's bullsh**t no matter how you slice it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »

Oh, the reversal (and the fact that our dear President seems to have overlooked one of the main components of a bill he signed) are but a small part of my and TNF's objection to the bill. We can debate the minimum wage vs. basic income all day (and I'm still not entirely sure what the levels of cash-money Nixcome provides are and how much they help people escape poverty), but I'm going to stand with the working class here.

You know there are ways to find that out. Tongue
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »

That would involve research, dear Yankee.  Surely we have little time for things such as spending thirty seconds to do a wiki search..
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #211 on: May 22, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

That would involve research, dear Yankee.  Surely we have little time for things such as spending thirty seconds to do a wiki search..

I am sure I forgot about that, I need to find those memory pills I should be takin....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies