1884 Western Alliance Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:10:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1884 Western Alliance Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Something logical.
Western Alliance Convention: Governor Benjamin Harrison of Indiana

Western Alliance Convention: Representative James Weaver of Iowa

Western Alliance Convention: Senator Joseph F. Smith of Illinois

Western Alliance Convention: Activist Walter Gibson of Nevada

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: 1884 Western Alliance Convention  (Read 1854 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »

Typical problem with left-wingers in this game is they actively & vocally plan out their world domination to an annoying extent. It's understandable that yes, your guys are due for a victory or two about now, but I've always been uncomfortable with you guys lining up your little social democratic ducks in a row & being so open about it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »

Typical problem with left-wingers in this game is they actively & vocally plan out their world domination to an annoying extent. It's understandable that yes, your guys are due for a victory or two about now, but I've always been uncomfortable with you guys lining up your little social democratic ducks in a row & being so open about it.

Sorry Cathcon. I actually would like more randomness and new issues in the game (like a war or two), but that's just me. I'm just thinking about how my end of the Radical party would probably do things.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »

Social democratic? You underestimate us, Cathy Smiley.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »

Before this ends, I'd just like to repeat my support for a Harrison/Smith or a Smith/Harrison ticket.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Before this ends, I'd just like to repeat my support for a Harrison/Smith or a Smith/Harrison ticket.

This. Weaver may have his time in the future. Or not. Who knows?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

What about Harrison/Weaver?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 12:46:33 AM »

Well, from what I understand Weaver is anti-immigrant... And at this moment in history (which will likely remain the same in this instance), many Mormons are British or Scandinavian immigrants. So I don't know if Weaver would want to reconcile with the Mormon faction within the Radicals. Harrison though, I have no problem with him.

EDIT: Oops, misread your question, I thought you mentioned Smith in your post. I personally would prefer a Mormon somewhere on the ticket, as there has been a Mormon on the ticket for years. And as I said, the Mormons might be queasy with Weaver. Don't know if the Harrisonites would be uncomfortable with that sort of alliance, though.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 01:01:43 AM »

Yeah, this is something that has bugged me too.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »

And at this moment in history (which will likely remain the same in this instance), many Mormons are British or Scandinavian immigrants.

Would you happen to know why this is/was, for curiosity's sake?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2014, 03:36:46 PM by Zioneer »

And at this moment in history (which will likely remain the same in this instance), many Mormons are British or Scandinavian immigrants.

Would you happen to know why this is/was, for curiosity's sake?

Sure: it's where we started preaching first (and were very successful doing so, to the point that there were hundreds of converts for every missionary), and was during the period when LDS leaders advised converts to come to Utah/America as opposed to building communities in their homelands (which is why there are such small British/Scandinavian Mormon communities now; most of the converts left for Utah).

In fact, we had several British and Scandinavian LDS leaders; George Q Cannon, George Teasdale, even prophet John Taylor on the British side, with apostles John A Widtsoe and Anthon Lund on the Scandinavian side, from a quick glance at the Wiki list. Most people in modern Utah either have English or Scandinavian names.

In fact, before the Civil War, the anti-Mormons were afraid that all the immigrants Mormons were bringing in were abolitionists and would vote to abolish slavery in Missouri and Illinois. That was one of the reasons the Mormons were attacked and hated, as the Missourians and Illinoisans were still pro-slavery. Literally, one of the recorded accusations against Joseph Smith was essentially "aaagh he'll convert the slaves and Indians and bring in British abolitionists to get rid of slavery". Of course, Smith wasn't entirely innocent of that accusation, as he did ordain Elijah Abels, a former slave, as a priest.

Also Smith was very, very cagey in dealing with slavery; he claimed that he wouldn't convert slaves without the permission of their masters, and claimed he wasn't an abolitionist, but at the same time ran for president on the platform of buying slaves from their owners and freeing them.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »

So is it Harrison vs. Cleveland? It'll be fun to see how Atlas deals with this one.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies