Gun Nuts vs. Anti-Gun Nuts: Who is worse? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:14:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Gun Nuts vs. Anti-Gun Nuts: Who is worse? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is worse?
Gun Nuts

Anti-Gun Nuts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Gun Nuts vs. Anti-Gun Nuts: Who is worse?  (Read 4225 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 30, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »

The first category in RL, the second category on Atlas
I guess this.  We have zero AFAIK of the first category here and only a handful of the second.  Neither group (as described) has all that many people in it in real life or here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »

In order from most tolerable to least tolerable:

Gun Control supporters only opposed to assault rifles, etc.>Gun Nuts>Gun Nuts who think they should be allowed to carry an assault rifle anywhere they go>Gun Control fanatics who oppose ownership of hand guns and would rather see a family raped and murdered than somebody defend themselves.
You forgot to put scare quotes around "assault rifles".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:39:27 AM »

Have any of the mass shooters owned 24 or more guns?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »

Just to bring some facts into this:  Here's a report from 2010 on justifiable homicide.

-From 2006 to 2010, the ratio of criminal homicide to justifiable homicides was 44:1. 

-In 2010, there were 230 justifiable homicides to 8,275 criminal homicides.  If you add deaths from suicide by guns (19,392) and accidental shootings (606), guns saved 230 at the expense of 28,273. 

Guns reduce public safety.  It's a fact.  You're more likely going to be in the 28,273 camp than the 230 camp.  Plus, if we regulated guns sensibly, you wouldn't have to worry so much about protecting yourself because we would all be safer.
This would make sense only if everytime a gun was used in a "good" situation the bad guy ended up dead and that clearly isn't the case.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »

Of course not, so the numbers are worthless.  There are no stats on that kind of thing in either direction.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:16 AM »

Well, 9000...as I'm sure you've read, people that want to kill themselves will whether they have access to a gun or not. cite

And the vast majority of the 9000 were done not by the "gun nut" we're all making fun of here, but by a dirt ball with an illegal weapon.  Everybody wants dirt ball with an illegal weapon to not have an illegal weapon.  Banning all guns will NOT get that illegal weapon away from Mr Dirt Ball.  Will it make it slightly more difficult for him?  Maybe, but why ban something that punishes millions for the crimes of a few thousand?  How's that drug war coming?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:55:52 AM »

On the broader point, who mentioned banning all guns as a policy choice?  I didn't, that's not my position on gun control and it's practically impossible in America anyway.  I agree that the secondary market is a major problem.  You can combat that with licensing requirements, background checks, regulating the sale and creating a strong paper trail, gun buy-backs, etc.  It's certainly possible to make an illegal gun cost $300 instead of $200.
Then oddly enough, we're pretty much on the same page.  I agree with, more or less, all of that.  I'm not against regulation, especially of hand guns.  Less so for rifles and shotguns as those aren't used in crime all that often, but I wouldn't fight to hard against even that.  It's the stupid laws that do no good that I take issue with.  The AWB, complete bans in certain cities, what California has been trying to do lately.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:07 AM »

How many more guns do I have to buy to be considered a gun nut? I currently have 6.
According to the OP, 18 more guns.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies