Office of Cranberry, Pacific Regional Senator - RESIGN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:17:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Cranberry, Pacific Regional Senator - RESIGN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Office of Cranberry, Pacific Regional Senator - RESIGN  (Read 18004 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »

Isn't Xahar the reason for the failing of the Pacific...?

He's not. I dispute that the Pacific's 'failing' but Xahar cannot be said to be the cause if it is. If anything, the events of the 'Rimjob' were, in a gameplay sense, the best thing to happen to the Pacific in years - it gave us a sense of purpose, a goal to work towards, namely recovering from the crisis.

Anyway, I've been Governor with the universal legislature and suffice to say I'd strongly recommend against it. Activity levels aren't ideal now, but compared to days past...

I've never understood why there haven't been concentrated efforts to recruit new voters to under-populated regions. We had "Save our States", why not "Save our Regions?".
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »

He's not. I dispute that the Pacific's 'failing' but Xahar cannot be said to be the cause if it is. If anything, the events of the 'Rimjob' were, in a gameplay sense, the best thing to happen to the Pacific in years - it gave us a sense of purpose, a goal to work towards, namely recovering from the crisis.

Anyway, I've been Governor with the universal legislature and suffice to say I'd strongly recommend against it. Activity levels aren't ideal now, but compared to days past...

I've never understood why there haven't been concentrated efforts to recruit new voters to under-populated regions. We had "Save our States", why not "Save our Regions?".

I don't think I've seen anyone do anything other than complain about activity while I've been here.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »

I can't tell you how much I would love to have four functioning regions when I leave office: Northeast, Southeast, Mideast, and West. I just can't do it myself, though. Any one Governor can't do it. We need to sit down and agree to do it, and I'm not sure how to go about that. Xahar's 1-1-3 plan is still the best plan on the table, but absent that, I guess a universal legislature would work. It would be a little like sending everything to referendum. Sorry if I glossed over it in the Pac. Council thread, but a reasonable threshold for passage would probably have to be agreed upon. I just don't recall what was proposed.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »

If a universal legislature has already been tried, maybe you guys should go in the opposite direction and try a monarchical system. I'm sure Simfan would be willing to take the job.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »

If you care to remember the actual chronology, I was originally appointed by Marokai to administer elections in the Pacific because it literally had no government. So no, I am not responsible.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »

Universal Legislatures are horrifying. A regional merge might be a better idea.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »

A regional merger would certainly be a better idea. Nobody has yet explained their hostility to the idea.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:34 PM »

If you care to remember the actual chronology, I was originally appointed by Marokai to administer elections in the Pacific because it literally had no government. So no, I am not responsible.

Wolfentoad leaving caused activity to collapse. Then people brought a recall for inactivity, then the new governor disappeared.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »

A regional merger would certainly be a better idea. Nobody has yet explained their hostility to the idea.

Personally, I am of the belief that the Pacific is the most active today then it's been for most of its history. I mean there were times when nothing was done at all, now we have an active council and increased dialogue.

There are arguably regions with lower activity than the Pacific, and merging it, I think, is just something people are throwing around (along with "continued inactivity") because nothing exciting has happened since Rimjob.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 03:20:28 AM »

I've always been opposed to the merge because I do have a lot of optimism in these 2 regions and you are going to have your ups and downs in the regions occasionally and when we have crises, that's up to us to solve. In fact, every region except the Northeast is having either activity or population problems, so it's not just the Pacific and the Midwest. For example, I wasn't expecting to see the MW lose such massive activity out of nowhere like it did a few weeks ago and instead of giving up, I've sent out a whole bunch of PMs encouraging people to run for Althing which has been partially successful so far. Elections aren't as competitive as we'd like them to be, but we're definitely starting to improve and getting back on track in the MW.

I really believe you guys should stick with the status quo and if you guys don't have enough candidates next time around, go around to your constituents to and see if anyone's interested in running for Council like Mung Beans, Antonio, Icehand Gino, or Wolverine. If all else fails, then I would maybe be open to a merge, but definitely not right now.

btw, congrats on your election to the Governorship, Cranberry! Wink
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:44 AM »

Well I guess I have to say, my proposal received at least something, the most important - reaction. I cannot remember that anything that has ever happened in the Pacific since I joined evoked such a reaction - that should show everyone how desperate we are. I got some other ideas that hopefully evoke such a reaction, no matter if they are agreed on or not.

It would be a little like sending everything to referendum. Sorry if I glossed over it in the Pac. Council thread, but a reasonable threshold for passage would probably have to be agreed upon. I just don't recall what was proposed.
I proposed that you'd need 1 other supporter for a normal bill, and 2 for a constitutional amendment.

As I said, I am not hostile to the idea of a merger with the Midwest, but I'd rather see an active Pacific alone than a Midwest-Pacific region, that also has no guarantee of activity. Surely, it maybe would increase interest in the beginning, but for how long? If that should not work, that just puts us at the same situation we have now.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 01:08:16 AM »

Universal legislatures = even less activity. We undertook a huge effort back in the day to move both the Pacific and the Midwest out of their universal legislature ruts.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 03:21:54 AM »

Universal legislatures = even less activity. We undertook a huge effort back in the day to move both the Pacific and the Midwest out of their universal legislature ruts.
Maybe that's just my idealistic point of view, but an universal legislature, that would enable every citizen to participate, should have that conclusion - more people participate. After all that's the point of it. Why did it not work back then?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2014, 06:56:22 AM »

I know this problem well - we can't even get people to sit on the Council to do nothing more than show up and vote, so in a universal legislature, you won't have a lot of people proposing ideas and so forth because they're simply not interested. If they can't be given a seat on the Council, they won't participate in a universal legislature. As to voting, you'll get the same two or three people if that. A universal legislature would effectively shut down the region while still keeping it open, though.

The answer is a merger both in terms of competitive elections and for activity, but not enough people seem to want it.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »

You are probably right, DemPGH. The idea was not that good an idea, and I'll leave it be. It was just that it was so tiring sitting in or now presiding a council wher just noone cares. Devin showed up occasionally, Flo has left us, Simfan never bothered to do anything after becoming AG/GM, and I don't yet know what TomJefferson will be like. I'll give our current council another try, after all we will be/are having two new members (at least one totally new, most likely Oakvale or any other veteran I can think of will be Flo's replacement). Same time, I'll be contacting Arturo Belano over a merger.

So that may be it for the Pacific, I'd say. 
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »

Again - I need a replacement for Flo's council seat. Any Pacifician that is interested, please contact me!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2014, 02:23:21 AM »

Executive Order:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Referendum Announcement:
I hereby announce a referendum for the 24 July 2014 regarding the question of a merger between the Midwest and the Pacific, being held simultaneously in both regions.
The question asked will be:
The referendum will last for 72 hours, and when passing in both regions, initiate talks over a merger.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

Just saw this - great idea! To be clear, this initiates talks and not an actual merger? Is the Midwest going to do one also?

Either way, it will be interesting to see how close it is.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »

I thought everything was made clear in the text, but yes, this is referendum will start talks - I guess there will be another referendum when the talks have concluded over the final terms. Yes, the Midwest will hold on simultaneously. Arturo Belano proposed a referendum, and we agreed to hold it after the Midwest Regional Elections.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »

The referendum is open in the Voting Booth Forum! Please all go vote!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:50 AM »

I've been following this as close as I can (ignoring my week-long vacation), Mr. Governor, and I'd like to thank you for all of your efforts and for opening the referendum to give the citizens of both regions a voice in this, so I hope we have decent levels of turnout. I voted Nay since I agree with the arguments that Spamage and Adam Fitzgerald made and I don't want to give up on both regions (specially after being Midwest Governor and believing in February that the region was going to be able to be fully active by this date), but I certainly appreciate the chance to vote on this.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2014, 05:39:26 AM »

Thank you for showing interest in this, Mr Senator, and also thank you for all the efforts you have made to provide me with an active council. I understand your sentiment, and that was the reason Governor Belano proposed a referendum - to provide every citizen in our two regions with a voice to express their sentiments over the merger. Thank you, Mr Senator, for voting in the referendum, and also for giving reasons here!
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2014, 09:50:48 PM »

Lumine is doing just that. He brought four new Feds to the region.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »

Governor The Aids prevention act has passed, and is your for your pen.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2014, 01:49:23 AM »

Thank you, Mr Speaker!

x TheCranberry, Governor of the Peoples Region of the Pacific
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies