Your opinion of the following people...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 05:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Your opinion of the following people...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your opinion of the following people...  (Read 2540 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 12:31:50 AM »

Rep. Tom Delay: -5
Pat Buchanan: -5
Sean Hannity: -5
Joe Scarborough: -3

Rep. Mel Watt: abstain (never heard of him)
James Carville: 2
Ed Schultz: abstain (same reason as above)
Jon Stewart: 7

Why all the hate for Pat?

Many people on this site are too blindly partisan (like most Americans, unfortunately) that they don't recognize what Pat's saying because it's a viewpoint that's long since lost adherence among the major parties.

The Democrats haven't used it since the 1920s, the Republicans since the 1980s, at least.

It's currently really out of fashion.

He did have a little bit of the anti-Semite problem at certain points in his life, that's the reason why I knocked him down about 2 points. 

Otherwise, he's one of the best political commentators out there, still.  Makes most of the other TV and radio people on this list look like idiots.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 12:33:41 AM »

Is Ed Schultz that guy who billed himself as a "red meat eatin', gun slingin' liberal"?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 04:41:34 AM »

Rep. Tom Delay- 1
Pat buchanan- 4
Sean Hannity- 1
Joe scarborough- 1

Rep. Mel Watt- 8
James Carville- 10
Ed Schultz- N/A
Jon Stewart- 9

TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2005, 12:48:58 PM »

Rep. Tom Delay Negative
Pat buchanan Very Negative
Sean Hannity Very Positive
Joe scarborough Neutral

Rep. Mel Watt ?
James Carville Negative
Ed Schultz Negative
Jon Stewart Neutral (Positive for putting those fools on Crossfire in their place negative for making a comedy show that people actually get their news from... Though, it is true, it isn't his fault)

Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2005, 05:35:49 PM »

Rep. Tom Delay Negative (The guy's a stain on my party)
Pat Buchanan Very Negative (I disagree with almost all of his positions. Plus I consider him a rather crazy old man.)
Sean Hannity Neutral (Has no opinions of his own and none that go against his party. He can be rather entertaining though.)
Joe Scarborough Neutral (Have seen much of him.)

Rep. Mel Watt Don't know anything about him
James Carville Neutral (Hate the man personally but he is an excellent attack dog for the Democrats. Carville is the Democratic version of the adult Keystone Phil.)
Ed Schultz Again don't know much about him
Jon Stewart Very Positive (I sometimes don't agree with him but he is one of the funniest people on TV.)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2005, 07:48:08 PM »

James Carville Neutral (Hate the man personally but he is an excellent attack dog for the Democrats. Carville is the Democratic version of the adult Keystone Phil.)

I am greatly offended. I despise Carville.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2005, 09:03:52 PM »

Rep. Tom Delay: -5
Pat Buchanan: -5
Sean Hannity: -5
Joe Scarborough: -3

Rep. Mel Watt: abstain (never heard of him)
James Carville: 2
Ed Schultz: abstain (same reason as above)
Jon Stewart: 7

Why all the hate for Pat?

I think Pat Buchanan has good positions on certain issues, but I don't agree with his isolationist approach on foreign policy.

He has also created the unfortunate impression of being an apologist for Nazi Germany.  He's not as bad as AuH2O on this forum, who said that the British were responsible for provoking Germany into bombing civilian populations of countries that had been at peace with them, but I read a column by him a while back that raised my hackles.

Some people say he's an anti-Semite and a racist.  That doesn't mean that much to me, because I think just about everybody carries prejudices, and it's more a matter of degree, and whether we act upon them in a malicious way or not that really matters.  I hesitate to throw those labels on somebody just because he doesn't have opinions that are politically correct.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 09:06:19 PM »

AuH2O is really misunderstood by you folks. I know what he is saying and I agree with about 99% of his beliefs. He is correct however saying that the British provoked the Germans into bombing British civilian targets. I know what Hitler did in Poland and the like but the British DID start civilian bombing German targets first and the Germans retaliated against them. So in that respect Goldie was right.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:13 PM »

AuH2O is really misunderstood by you folks. I know what he is saying and I agree with about 99% of his beliefs. He is correct however saying that the British provoked the Germans into bombing British civilian targets. I know what Hitler did in Poland and the like but the British DID start civilian bombing German targets first and the Germans retaliated against them. So in that respect Goldie was right.

Actually, it didn't quite happen that way.  The first thing that happened is that a German bomber strayed, and bombed the outskirts of London by mistake.  Churchill thought it was deliberate, and didn't think he could leave it unanswered, so he bombed Berlin.  So it was the Germans who did it first, albeit by accident.

But the reality is that the Germans planned to switch to terror bombing of London anyway if their attempt to defeat the RAF's air control over the English Channel failed, and they were therefore forced to abandon their invasion plans.  As bad as it sounds, the British took the switch to terror bombing of civilians as a positive sign that the Germans had given up their quest to shoot the RAF out of the skies over the channel, so the switch to terror bombing was regarded as a sign that the German intention to invade had at least been postponed.  Terror bombing was a fallback position for the Germans, who hoped to create enough suffering among the population as to induce Churchill's replacement with somebody ready to surrender to them.

The important thing to remember is that (a) Germany was a dangerous aggressor in the war; and (b) at the time of the terror bombing of London, the British were severely outmanned by the Germans, and were unable to deliver anywhere near the attacks on the Germans that were being inflicted on them.  It wasn't until later, after the Americans entered the war, that the Germans got a good taste of what they had been dishing out, and they got it back in spades, and richly deserved it.

While AuH2O may have been partially right, technically, it is a severe overreach, and smacks of apology for the Nazis, to fail to look at the big picture, and basically proclaim the Nazis blameless for all the suffering they inflicted on people without provocation. 

That's like saying that the person who walks through a questionable neighborhood at night is solely to blame if he gets mugged or beaten up.  While it may not be prudent to be in that neighborhood, that still doesn't give the perpetrators the right to mug you and beat you up.  To argue otherwise is basically the logic of liberal Demcrats, who effectively absolve the perpetrator of guilt.  That is effectively the logic that AuH2O is using with respect to the German bombing of British civilians.  We really ought to leave that kind of logic to the liberal Democrats.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 10:00:14 PM »

Positive to Stewart, Neutral to Carville and Watt, negative on the rest.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies