South Carolina statewide offices 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  South Carolina statewide offices 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina statewide offices 2014  (Read 2704 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:50:47 AM »

The State has an article with the full list, I'm only going to comment on selected races.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/31/3359047/sc-elections-the-dance-cards-are.html

First off, Haley has an unexpected primary opponent for governor in ex-State Rep. and ex-Judge Tom Ervin.  Looks like Ervin's purpose isn't so much as to run against Haley as it is to use the race as a soapbox to speak out against problems at one state agency.  I don't expect it'll be even as much as a hiccup for Nikki's rematch with Vince in the fall.

Lt. Gov is the marquee race with ex-Attorney General Henry McMaster facing off against Mike Campbell (Carroll Campbell's son) and two others in the Republican primary.  Since that race will essentially determine who our Lt. Governor will be, and it's far from clear who will win, I'll likely be voting in the Republican primary. I can't say I really care for either McMaster or Campbell, but neither do I despise either of them.  For different reasons, I doubt the ability of either of them to use the office as a springboard to the Governor's office in 2018 unless Haley becomes Vice President or a Cabinet secretary after the 2016 election.

In the Commissioner of Agriculture race, incumbent Hugh Weathers faces the aptly named Joe Farmer in the primary.

Superintendent of Education is a crowded race with four Democrats and eight Republicans running.  I fully expect that both races will end up in a runoff.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »

Whoa: RGA goes thermonuclear on Sheheen. Now that's what I call a negative ad.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »

Its South Carolina, so this sort of thing is to be expected.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »

True. Wonder how big the buy is.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »

Ads attacking former criminal defense attorneys for defending criminals always rub me the wrong way and to me are disgusting, but they sure are effective.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »

Ervin is trying to run as an indie.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

Why bother?  Democrats should cheer the RGA spending money on this race.  Every dollar they spend here is a dollar they could have spent elsewhere in a race that mattered.  The only way this makes sense is if Christie controls where the ad money goes and is trying to get Haley on his side for 2016.  Unless an unexpected scandal or gaffe crops up, Haley's winning this year.  The only question is whether the margin will be below or above 10% of the vote.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »

How Graham outmaneuvered the TP.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »

^ Very well-played by Graham. After 2010, I thought he and Hatch would be gone when they were next up.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »

For some unfathomable reason, the RGA has doubled down on its attack against Sheheen for doing his job as a lawyer.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/04/28/3414164/rgas-second-take-on-vincent-sheheens.html

I say unfathomable not because I think the ad will be ineffective but because there really is no need for them to stoop to this level to be able to defeat Sheheen.  As I said before, the only reason for the RGA to waste its time and money in South Carolina is because Christie wants Haley to owe him a favor come 2016.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »

As I said before, the only reason for the RGA to waste its time and money in South Carolina is because Christie wants Haley to owe him a favor come 2016.

I don't know why. Haley showed the influence of her endorsement in 2012, and Christie is a lot harder sell to make in SC.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »

As I said before, the only reason for the RGA to waste its time and money in South Carolina is because Christie wants Haley to owe him a favor come 2016.

I don't know why. Haley showed the influence of her endorsement in 2012, and Christie is a lot harder sell to make in SC.

Romney wasn't exactly a easy sell, but endorsing him was a bit of political payback of his early endorsement of her in 2010, so it indicates she's the kind of politician who returns favors, even when it might not be the most advantageous thing to do.  It might not have helped Romney directly too much (tho it may have provided the margin needed to get the 2 delegates from the 1st district) but it did help keep another candidate from building up their ground game and making use of her endorsement.

Besides, since Christie is just spending other people's money, why not try to gain a few free favors from it?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »

http://www.thestate.com/2014/06/09/3497173/tom-ervin-submits-20137-signatures.html

Tom Ervin has submitted the signatures for his "Independent Republican" candidacy for governor.  With 20,137 signatures submitted and him only needing 10,000 of them to be valid, he likely will make the fall campaign, tho he'll be listed as a "Petition" candidate on the ballot and not as the Independent Republican he has been campaigning as.  I think he could have had a greater impact for the issue he's energized about had he run in the primary since that campaign would have been while the General Assembly was in session.  I seriously doubt he'll have much impact in November, tho if he does have an impact, it'll help Sheheen who will need the help to have any chance of winning.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

Over the last few weeks, I'v heard radio ads for Ray Moore for LG. 'Sounded like a radical nut to me; I figured he was one of the weaker candidates, but good to see him get crushed anyway.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 04:04:41 PM »

What happened to GOP star Meka Childs?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »

What happened to GOP star Meka Childs?

Childs only got 7%.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »

7% ? How embarrassing
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 01:18:28 AM »

Actually that Childs got 7% was impressive under the circumstances.  There's a reason why Zais didn't run for reelection, he knew he was going to get trounced, and as his former Deputy Superintendent, there was no real way for her to win.  Common Core is pretty thoroly despised among GOP primary voters in this State.  Sheri Few managed to get into third place on the strength of being the most strongly anti-Common Core despite being otherwise a poor candidate.  Atwater is going to win the runoff because Spearman has dared to say that there might be a few good ideas that could be salvaged from Common Core and put into our own State standards.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »

www.thestate.com/2014/06/16/3511794/take-2-tom-ervin-finally-submits.html

Take 2!

It seems when Ervin tried to drop off his signatures for his petition candidacy for governor last Monday, he was told to come back later as the State Election Commission was busy getting ready for the primary the next day.  So he went back yesterday and this time he did so.  Technically the signatures aren't due until 15 July, so I can understand the SEC wishing to prioritize how it used its staff and office space on the day before the primary.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »

http://www.thestate.com/2014/06/09/3497173/tom-ervin-submits-20137-signatures.html

Tom Ervin has submitted the signatures for his "Independent Republican" candidacy for governor.  With 20,137 signatures submitted and him only needing 10,000 of them to be valid, he likely will make the fall campaign, tho he'll be listed as a "Petition" candidate on the ballot and not as the Independent Republican he has been campaigning as.  I think he could have had a greater impact for the issue he's energized about had he run in the primary since that campaign would have been while the General Assembly was in session.  I seriously doubt he'll have much impact in November, tho if he does have an impact, it'll help Sheheen who will need the help to have any chance of winning.

Trouble coming for Haley ?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2014/08/12/petition_candidate_spends_big_in_south_carolina.html

Here are the 3 ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AlsqXGNoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaR21HiQfW4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICYxbqU5jrM
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »

Pretty good ad...