The new French Prime Minister and the next Mayor of Paris are both Spanish born.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:14:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The new French Prime Minister and the next Mayor of Paris are both Spanish born.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The new French Prime Minister and the next Mayor of Paris are both Spanish born.  (Read 565 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »

Manuel Valls, born in Barcelona.
Anne Hidalgo, born in San Fernando.

Interesting...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

So? Our President was born in Kenya and Julia Gillard was born in a province of the UK named after a sea mammal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:29:15 PM »

So? Our President was born in Kenya and Julia Gillard was born in a province of the UK named after a sea mammal.

Wrong and UK has no provinces.

On the subject, Valls should have stayed in Spain with his PP friends.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Well, Norn Iron is sometimes called 'The Province'.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »

Manuel Valls, born in Barcelona.
Anne Hidalgo, born in San Fernando.

Interesting...

Valls was not Spanish born.  He was Catalan born.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »

Wrong and UK has no provinces.

On the subject, Valls should have stayed in Spain with his PP friends.
Sorry. The UK has states. I wonder if the British have elected a Kenyan Muslim Communist as their President yet. Thank God the British Republicans at least had Margaret Thatcher, who along with Reagan and Pope John Paul, ended the Cold War.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:01:40 AM »

I live in New York now and most of the Europeans I meet are similar odd mixes of nationalities. Is that normal for Europe? Or, at least, normal for like urban city people in Europe?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »

I live in New York now and most of the Europeans I meet are similar odd mixes of nationalities. Is that normal for Europe? Or, at least, normal for like urban city people in Europe?

It is not "normal". I remember, when I spent a year in Getafe, just across the city line from Madrid. Most of my neighbours there had made one big migration in their life: from Getafe III to Getafe Norte - doable in about a 20 minute to a half-hour walk. Admittedly, the side effect of that migration was that in Getafe III there were mostly Pakistanis and Romanians by that point. But in Getafe Norte a "foreigner" would be somebody from outside the province of Madrid.

Now, once you get into the right circles, things change. I myself, probably, know more people with 3 passports than with 1 Smiley  But that is not "normal".
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:30 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2014, 02:40:23 AM by Velasco »

What is interesting about Anne Hidalgo is that she comes from a humble family which had to leave Spain, made good use of the French educational system, didn't forget where she comes from and, unlike Valls, has values and knows who is the enemy.

Valls was not Spanish born.  He was Catalan born.

I'll give you an April Fools' scoop: Catalonia has joined the Russian Federation after a referendum held yesterday.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:03:40 AM »

It is not "normal". I remember, when I spent a year in Getafe, just across the city line from Madrid. Most of my neighbours there had made one big migration in their life: from Getafe III to Getafe Norte - doable in about a 20 minute to a half-hour walk. Admittedly, the side effect of that migration was that in Getafe III there were mostly Pakistanis and Romanians by that point. But in Getafe Norte a "foreigner" would be somebody from outside the province of Madrid.

Now, once you get into the right circles, things change. I myself, probably, know more people with 3 passports than with 1 Smiley  But that is not "normal".
Though it's pretty normal to have people born abroad inside your two previous generations. My wife has grandparents born in Algeria, Germany, Ukraine and Poland. I have to move a bit further to find ancestors born in Catalogne and Germany. Many Europeans have that, maybe not so much Spaniards.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »

It depend on the country the Europeans in question comes from, their social class and which urban area they live in. Copenhagen as example, the "Danish" working class there tend to have significant Swedish, German and Polish ancestry, in Gentofte, a rich suburb north of Copenhagen home to much of the of the old money, Russian and Baltic German ancestry are common.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies