Earthquake near Chile
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:52:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Earthquake near Chile
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Earthquake near Chile  (Read 602 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/1/breaking-magnitude8quakehitsoffcoastofchile.html

Horrible. It sounds like there'll be a pretty severe tsunami.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »

Everything is OK so far. Apparently no dead nor severe damages in infrastructure (which is almost incredible since the earthquake was 8,3 Richter).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »

Indeed, there are no recorded damaged beyond some minor roads in the north. There seems to be potential security issues in Iquique (I believe over 300 female prision inmates escaped from prision), but the government has reacted quickly and sent additional policemen just in case anyone else tries to take advantage of the chaos, and the tsunami alert is still in place for six more hours. Classes were also suspended throught the coast line (which means I'm free tomorrow, even if study in a safe place).

I must say, despite my dislike for the current government they seem to be handling this very well, despite the prision escape blunded (which I don't blame them for), this is the complete opposite of the 2011 answer to the disaster. They refused to send the military in last time, which caused several acts of vandalism, and now they are reacting very quickly.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Possible tsunami coming, I pray it won't be too bad
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »

Well, it looks like I was very wrong... (and rather frivolous with my comments) Five deaths recorded so far (caused by fire, heart attacks and the earthquake), the sea has entered Iquique by about 100-300 meters and it has flooded some areas, although it looks like it wasn't an actual tidal wave. Reports are a little bit confusing...
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »

New earthquake, 7,8 Richter, the Navy Oceanographic Systems says it's very likely that a tsunami hits the Northern coast of Chile. President Bachelet herself was in one of the cities and was evacuated.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies