NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:59:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote)  (Read 578 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
« edited: April 07, 2014, 03:42:08 PM by cinyc »

SOAP Amendment
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. Deus naturae

Debate on this bill shall remain open for 72 hours, or until around 9:35PM on Friday, April 4, unless modified or extended. The sponsor, Rep. Deus, is encouraged to speak on behalf of the bill within the next 36 hours.  If he does not, the bill will be tabled, as there is other proposed legislation pending in the queue.

The floor is open for debate.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

The purpose of this bill is to allow Representatives to object to (and thus require a vote on) amendments they oppose. for example, say that an amendment is offered by the sponsor, or by a Representative and declared friendly by the sponsor, but is opposed by a majority of Representatives. If the Representatives approve of the rest of the bill, they should be able to object to the amendment so that they aren't forced to vote the bill down. A main area where I think this could up is when the Assembly is debating a budget. Our most recent budget debate was rather uncontroversial, but imagine if a Representative proposed to increase/decrease/eliminate a major tax, the Governor agreed, but a majority of Representatives disagreed. they would have no choice but to accept the tax hike/cut/elimination or vote against the entire budget. This procedure is currently in place in the Senate, and although we certainly don't have as many controversial amendments they do, I still that we should put in place a procedure that would allow for a vote on any amendment, if a Representative so desired.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »

I don't support this.  The sponsor should ultimately control his or her legislation.  If an amendment is so bad as that someone objects, they can always vote against the bill.  Plus, it adds more complexity to my job as Speaker.

If this does pass, I think the drafting is incomplete.  As written, all it says is that someone can object TBD hours after the amendment was proposed.  I don't know why it should be linked to when the amendment is proposed instead of agreed to.  A sponsor can take his time in agreeing to amendments some time.  Moreover, as drafted, it doesn't spell out what happens if someone objects.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

This is probably a good idea, not so much on pet bills but on large omnibus bills, where there is one sponsor but the whole assembly is involved directly in the decision making.

Speaking as someone who's been observing and participating in the assembly for about 2 years now, though, the real problem with the SOAP, it seems to me, is the time limit on legislation. I've seen many bills which are uncompleted rushed through because time ran out, with debate still raging on, which isn't a good idea. It might have been necessary in the past due to there only being 2 slots, but with 3 plus the budget available for use I don't think that would be a problem anymore.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:24:17 PM »

This is probably a good idea, not so much on pet bills but on large omnibus bills, where there is one sponsor but the whole assembly is involved directly in the decision making.

Speaking as someone who's been observing and participating in the assembly for about 2 years now, though, the real problem with the SOAP, it seems to me, is the time limit on legislation. I've seen many bills which are uncompleted rushed through because time ran out, with debate still raging on, which isn't a good idea. It might have been necessary in the past due to there only being 2 slots, but with 3 plus the budget available for use I don't think that would be a problem anymore.

I generally agree with this argument.  I think the maximum/minimum should certainly be lengthened, if only by a little.  The Assembly needs more deliberation on the bills that actually make it to the queue, rather than blow through proposed legislation three quarters of the way through the session.  The SOAP isn't broken, rather, there's always a way to improve it, as we've all learned from experience.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2014, 10:22:25 PM by Rep. Deus »

Quote from: Restricted

I'm really not sure how long the objections period should be. I'm open to any suggestions about that.

Napoleon, Sirnick, and SWE, what are your opinions of the bill? If you have a negative opinion, how would you feel about amending the SOAP to include a Representative objection procedure for budget negotiations only (this question goes to Cinyc as well)?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

Three hours after an amendment is proposed is pretty short.  Nobody is on this website 24-7, so if someone proposes an amendment at 3AM, for example, nobody might be around to object by 6AM.

I might be able to support this for the budget.  I can't support it for ordinary legislation, which, under the Constitution, "shall relate to but one subject that is to be expressed in its title", anyway.  There should be no other omnibus legislation other than the budget.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

This seems like a pretty reasonable proposal. I'd support it
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »

I think we need to extend overall debate times including the 12 hours that Deus indicated. For instance, if an amendment is proposed at 6pm, and the sponsor gets beers after work, goes to bed, then by 6am he loses the power to deny the amendment..needs more time.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »

I wouldn't take issue with a time extension, but we can use the Northeast Assembly Thread to discuss pending legislation ahead of time. There used to be a Northeast Protest and Analysis thread before we adopted slots.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »

Given that the bill is still being debated, I'm going to make and agree to a motion to extend debate by one day, or until around 9:30PM on Saturday, April 5.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »

I support the Speaker's extension.

If the Governor prefers we move my point/conversation to the other thread, I'm fine with that.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »

The debate period is over.  It is time to vote on the bill, as amended:

SOAP Amendment

This vote will remain open for the earlier of 48 hours or when all Representatives have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »

Nay
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »

Aye
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 05:52:16 AM »

Nay
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

Abstain
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »

By a 2-2 vote with one abstention, the bill fails to get majority support, and therefore, fails.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies