NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:04:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: SOAP Amendment (Failed in Tie Vote)  (Read 596 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

The purpose of this bill is to allow Representatives to object to (and thus require a vote on) amendments they oppose. for example, say that an amendment is offered by the sponsor, or by a Representative and declared friendly by the sponsor, but is opposed by a majority of Representatives. If the Representatives approve of the rest of the bill, they should be able to object to the amendment so that they aren't forced to vote the bill down. A main area where I think this could up is when the Assembly is debating a budget. Our most recent budget debate was rather uncontroversial, but imagine if a Representative proposed to increase/decrease/eliminate a major tax, the Governor agreed, but a majority of Representatives disagreed. they would have no choice but to accept the tax hike/cut/elimination or vote against the entire budget. This procedure is currently in place in the Senate, and although we certainly don't have as many controversial amendments they do, I still that we should put in place a procedure that would allow for a vote on any amendment, if a Representative so desired.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2014, 10:22:25 PM by Rep. Deus »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm really not sure how long the objections period should be. I'm open to any suggestions about that.

Napoleon, Sirnick, and SWE, what are your opinions of the bill? If you have a negative opinion, how would you feel about amending the SOAP to include a Representative objection procedure for budget negotiations only (this question goes to Cinyc as well)?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:59 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies