Opinion of James Joyce (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:07:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of James Joyce (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of James Joyce  (Read 1270 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 02, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »

Massive FF.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

I don't enjoy that era, its norms, its "high literary culture," etc. It's insufferably pretentious. That's just me. Don't care much for T.S. Eliot either.

You might like later Eliot better than earlier Eliot because his work is a lot more self-aware, self-critical and less overwhelmingly riddling, but it's also heavily religious in both structure and content, so maybe not.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:25 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2014, 05:53:15 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I don't enjoy that era, its norms, its "high literary culture," etc. It's insufferably pretentious. That's just me. Don't care much for T.S. Eliot either.

You might like later Eliot better than earlier Eliot because his work is a lot more self-aware, self-critical and less overwhelmingly riddling, but it's also heavily religious in both structure and content, so maybe not.

I PMed you.

I saw! I'll respond a little later in the evening.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If you're interested, see how you like 'The Journey of the Magi'. It's probably the most thematically accessible to non-Christians of Eliot's religious poems; what it's about, fundamentally, is social alienation after a life-changing experience.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:27 PM »

For entirely different reasons, and in entirely different ways.

...not in the same sense that Rand did, no.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »

Although I'll also concede Joyce probably never wrote as big of a plothole as Rand, in that if some idiot managed to hijack the radio waves and babbled for three straight hours in one of the most dull as dirt lectures ever, everyone would just turn off the radio.

The actual events that occur in Joyce's fiction are meticulously naturalistic, so no, he didn't.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »

As of 2012 yes, and thank God because his estate were acting like huge dicks about practically any use of his work that they didn't like, even scholarly citations with which they disagreed.

Here's 'The Dead', which a lot of people consider the best short story written in English (although it's long enough that it could also qualify as a novella by some standards). Short and easy enough to read in one or two sittings, and emotionally moving. Before you ask, the misuse of 'literally' in the first sentence is intentional since Joyce wrote this in a style of third-person that acts like first-person and is imitating the character's understanding of the meaning of the word.

If you want to cut your teeth on something a little shorter, very short indeed, here's 'Araby' and here's 'A Painful Case'. All of these stories are from Dubliners.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies